Stem Cell Research

AuthorMessage
skanking Brit
Falling In Love With The Board
skanking Brit
May 26th, 2005 at 04:41pm
Your opinions?
Back up your opinion thoroughly.
If you don't know what it is, which I suppose there are some who don't, don't post here until you've done some research.
Cool
i dont do fuckin names
Jackass
i dont do fuckin names
May 26th, 2005 at 04:42pm
i think the topic is too vague and i dont understand the subject enough to comment on it
skanking Brit
skanking Brit
May 26th, 2005 at 04:44pm
i dont do fuckin names:
i think the topic is too vague and i dont understand the subject enough to comment on it

I'll try to find a site that gives a good explanation. I know the jist of it, but I think I could do some research myself
i dont do fuckin names
Jackass
i dont do fuckin names
May 26th, 2005 at 04:45pm
I'm a Name Changing Whore:
i dont do fuckin names:

I'll try to find a site that gives a good explanation. I know the jist of it, but I think I could do some research myself
ok
skanking Brit
skanking Brit
May 26th, 2005 at 04:51pm
Stem cell research is a relatively new technology that uses human embryo cells to treat disease. The embryo cells are called “stem cells� because they can be stimulated to develop into any type of body cell or system. Human embryo cells are especially valuable because they can be used to treat and possibly cure many diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and Alzheimers.

Stem cells have been identified in placental tissue, blood, and fat but these sources are limited in their efficacy. Embryonic stem cells have much more potential and are harvested when the embryos are no more than a few days old. The process destroys the embryos.

The biggest source of human embryos is those left over from in-vitro fertilization procedures. Fertility treatments usually result in multiple embryos. Since only the most viable are selected for implantation, the remaining embryos are frozen. Costs are incurred with the cryogenic (freezing) process and with ongoing maintenance.

There is a great deal of controversy over the ethics of stem cell research. Some say that life begins at conception and that the use of humans (even immature ones) for research purposes is immoral. Others claim that the embryos are only tiny amounts of undifferentiated tissue and since they are already scheduled for destruction, they should be used to help others.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
May 26th, 2005 at 04:58pm
as long as the cells are un-fertalied go ahead
but I think if we have so much sex at the rate we do and humans can now live past 120 years old we'll be overpopulated soon
skanking Brit
skanking Brit
May 26th, 2005 at 05:23pm
ze thread ise dead
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
May 26th, 2005 at 05:25pm
oh well
we got a bunch of posts for a whole new forum
skanking Brit
skanking Brit
May 26th, 2005 at 05:26pm
spill_no_sick:
oh well
we got a bunch of posts for a whole new forum

Yep
RedTieGirl
King For A Couple Of Days
RedTieGirl
May 26th, 2005 at 06:29pm
im for stem cell research its for the greater good.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/index.asp
Comrade182
Comrade182
May 27th, 2005 at 06:37am
I think it's agood idea but they need to get a better source, try and make them artifically instead of taking them from a embryo
Pretty Like Drugs
King For A Couple Of Days
Pretty Like Drugs
June 23rd, 2005 at 05:32am
it's so expensive! they should make it more available because so many people need them
Dom
Jackass
Dom
June 23rd, 2005 at 02:00pm
im in favour if it, it could be able to cure a lot of diseases and can become any tissue, so then we could have artificial hearts and things which if it works properly could cut waiting times for heart transplants significantly.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
June 23rd, 2005 at 02:03pm
lost_n_found:
it's so expensive! they should make it more available because so many people need them

the price will go down in time, its still in its early stages and most things do cost a lot at that point. Like hydrogen fuel cells at the moment.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
June 23rd, 2005 at 02:05pm
spill_no_sick:
as long as the cells are un-fertalied go ahead
but I think if we have so much sex at the rate we do and humans can now live past 120 years old we'll be overpopulated soon

people are having a lot less children nowadays though. The average is around 2 children. Which is a lot less than it used to be.
Smiles
Smiles
June 23rd, 2005 at 08:12pm
i really have mixed feelings. i mean, you are pretty much killing something before it has a chance to live..like abortion. but its also letting other people live through things and having a better record of keeping people alive at hospitals.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 20th, 2005 at 07:24pm
blood ridden thorn:
i really have mixed feelings. i mean, you are pretty much killing something before it has a chance to live..like abortion. but its also letting other people live through things and having a better record of keeping people alive at hospitals.

thats how I feel, I dont have a strong enough opinion to say anything else
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
December 21st, 2005 at 07:00pm
I think it's good because if someone has a broken back, you can make back cells with stem cells. If someone is dieing because of heart stuff, you can replace the old cells with stem cells. Im totally for it Very Happy
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
May 27th, 2006 at 04:36pm
If the cells have already been removed in such ways as abortion, or whatnot, then it can do no harm to use it to help people.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
May 27th, 2006 at 08:32pm
I have mixed feelings about it. I mean, I know it's for a good cause and it could probably help. But I'm against abortion as it is, but using the baby's cells? Even if I had an abortion (which I NEVER would), I wouldn't want the cells used. So I'm kind of on both sides here.
Register