Body image

AuthorMessage
bloodstone
Geek
bloodstone
May 28th, 2005 at 06:50pm
Headfirst For Halos:
I think that media is just part of everything that makes people (not just girls) feel so self-conscious about the way they look. One of my friends is a size 8 (UK size) and considers herself to be too fat, which is ridiculous. I don't think any of my friends are happy with the way they look. People should try and be happy how they are, but its hard when people are shown pictures of models who are skinny and taught that is the only way you can be beautiful.

the media counts on that though...the longer they can make you feel like you are inadequate, the longer they can make you think that their idea of beauty is the answer, the longer you continue to buy their magazine so that you can be what someone else views as beautiful. as long as they keep you thinking that you're not beautiful you're going to keep going to them for answers...they feed on the younger generation especially--younger people with low self-esteem and that are unsure of themselves are key prey for the media...

i agree, people should be happy with who they are...but it doesn't look like that's likely that that's ever going to happen...
XcoreJessio
King For A Couple Of Days
XcoreJessio
May 28th, 2005 at 07:04pm
No matter what, people will alwyas have downs about their body at some time of their life. They will feel that their hips are too big, there eyes are too close together, They are too small e.t.c. But the media does contribute to this. The media slag celebs off when they think that they are 'too fat' and then slag the smae celeb off for being too skinny, when he or she has lost weight because of the critazisem(sp?) Teenagers who devolpe a disorder such as bulima or aneroxia aren't just pressured by the media, but also by friends and family. I know what it is like to feel like I am too fat. My sister is slim and prettier then me(I'm not putting ymself down but it's true) also my two best mates are slim. I have been called fat a few times in my life, even by male family memebers. I know that one of them members did not mean to bring me down but I felt like shit for the next week. When my dad called me fat, I ran upstairs and cried my eyes out and was upset for a very long time, it still upsets me now. I do not know how he meant it but either way he dhould not of said it. If I was seriously over weight, and he said something along those lines, then I dont' think I would of been as hurt. I do admit I'm not a healthy weight and am slowly losing it. But I expect my family and friends to be the ones who support me, not put me down.
american_idiot_94
Falling In Love With The Board
american_idiot_94
May 28th, 2005 at 07:06pm
*Love is paranoid*:
No matter what, people will alwyas have downs about their body at some time of their life. They will feel that their hips are too big, there eyes are too close together, They are too small e.t.c. But the media does contribute to this. The media slag celebs off when they think that they are 'too fat' and then slag the smae celeb off for being too skinny, when he or she has lost weight because of the critazisem(sp?) Teenagers who devolpe a disorder such as bulima or aneroxia aren't just pressured by the media, but also by friends and family. I know what it is like to feel like I am too fat. My sister is slim and prettier then me(I'm not putting ymself down but it's true) also my two best mates are slim. I have been called fat a few times in my life, even by male family memebers. I know that one of them members did not mean to bring me down but I felt like shit for the next week. When my dad called me fat, I ran upstairs and cried my eyes out and was upset for a very long time, it still upsets me now. I do not know how he meant it but either way he dhould not of said it. If I was seriously over weight, and he said something along those lines, then I dont' think I would of been as hurt. I do admit I'm not a healthy weight and am slowly losing it. But I expect my family and friends to be the ones who support me, not put me down.

but we also contribute to the media...we both feed off of eachother what ever we do they take it and turn it into this huge thing therefore the majority will follow whatever the media advertises and once that fad or w/e dies we start something new....so i think we have to take some of the blame for things to....
XcoreJessio
XcoreJessio
May 28th, 2005 at 07:08pm
american_idiot_94:
*Love is paranoid*:

but we also contribute to the media...we both feed off of eachother what ever we do they take it and turn it into this huge thing therefore the majority will follow whatever the media advertises and once that fad or w/e dies we start something new....so i think we have to take some of the blame for things to....

I agree with that. The public just as easily pick on someone becuase of how they look(Which I have experienced)
american_idiot_94
american_idiot_94
May 28th, 2005 at 07:09pm
*Love is paranoid*:
american_idiot_94:
*Love is paranoid*:

I agree with that. The public just as easily pick on someone becuase of how they look(Which I have experienced)

yea me too unfortunatly
XcoreJessio
XcoreJessio
May 28th, 2005 at 07:11pm
american_idiot_94:
*Love is paranoid*:
american_idiot_94:
*Love is paranoid*:

yea me too unfortunatly

I still am concious about my body, but am learning to be happy with it. But it hurts when someonbe comments on me in a bad way.
american_idiot_94
american_idiot_94
May 28th, 2005 at 07:17pm
*Love is paranoid*:
american_idiot_94:
*Love is paranoid*:
american_idiot_94:
*Love is paranoid*:

yea me too unfortunatly

I still am concious about my body, but am learning to be happy with it. But it hurts when someonbe comments on me in a bad way.

well everyone is concious about their bodies, even the skinny-est and prettest people...we're always gonna want to look better and try to impress somebody but the thing is most of us compare ourselfs to these models and celebrities who are all skin and bone....and its not normal...people shouldnt look like that, its not healthy or attractive
XcoreJessio
XcoreJessio
May 28th, 2005 at 07:18pm
american_idiot_94:

well everyone is concious about their bodies, even the skinny-est and prettest people...we're always gonna want to look better and try to impress somebody but the thing is most of us compare ourselfs to these models and celebrities who are all skin and bone....and its not normal...people shouldnt look like that, its not healthy or attractive

Yesh I guess. I compare myself to my friends and sister though. And I know it is stupid of me. But I just can't help it.
Sarah.
Sarah.
May 28th, 2005 at 08:24pm
im always comparing mysel to skinnier girls, i feel like im an outcast or something and these magazines and shows that have these paperthin girls on there make it worse for girls (or guys) like me, body image is a huge issue with a lot of people and so is eating disorders, i haad a problem wih bulemia for awhile and realzed its really bad so i stopped
I ARE TRISH.HEAR ME ROAR!
May 29th, 2005 at 01:50am
i just have on thing to say: i`d kill myself if i was fat. but see...i have high matabolism. i`m 95 and a half lbs. and my doctor says i`m just healthy. =]
ace.
Idiot
ace.
May 29th, 2005 at 02:01am
midnight murderer:
i just have on thing to say: i`d kill myself if i was fat. but see...i have high matabolism. i`m 95 and a half lbs. and my doctor says i`m just healthy. =]
i find that if you aren't being sarcastic...thats highly superficial and pathetic. on a thread where people have confessed to have had or still do have eating disorders, you say that you would kill yourself if you were fat? both disrespectful and low.
May 29th, 2005 at 02:22am
whothefckistrecool?:
midnight murderer:
i find that if you aren't being sarcastic...thats highly superficial and pathetic. on a thread where people have confessed to have had or still do have eating disorders, you say that you would kill yourself if you were fat? both disrespectful and low.
it was sarcasm. no one should kill themselves. gosh. i`m not low and mean. i dont criticize people like that.
ace.
Idiot
ace.
May 29th, 2005 at 02:26am
midnight murderer:
whothefckistrecool?:
midnight murderer:
it was sarcasm. no one should kill themselves. gosh. i`m not low and mean. i dont criticize people like that.
i was hoping.

and i wasn't being mean unless you weren't being sarcastic. perhaps you should specify these things for slow people like me.

and now....back to the topic...
May 29th, 2005 at 02:33am
whothefckistrecool?:
midnight murderer:
whothefckistrecool?:
midnight murderer:
i was hoping.

and i wasn't being mean unless you weren't being sarcastic. perhaps you should specify these things for slow people like me.

and now....back to the topic...
yes. back on topic. people should be happy with what they have and who they are. let me go all religious here....: God made you all perfect. he made no mistakes.

hahaha. my teacher said that.
Jigsawess
Jigsawess
May 29th, 2005 at 03:47am
i used to starve myself when i was 11, because i thought i was fat because i was bigger than most of the other kids. and i weighed a lot more, so i though i would never have anyone love me and i'd die alone. but ive realised that some people (like me) weigh more because they are very very tall for their age.
im pretty sure most cases or anorexia or bulimia are because there are so many skinny celebrities, and they do these things which makes children think its the "cool" thing to do.
mikeDrox_my_sox
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
mikeDrox_my_sox
May 29th, 2005 at 10:29am
i saw a programme at school about anorexia and people with body issues and this woman was so miserable with her thighs she tried to cut the fat out with a stanley knife...
Mikelvr
Mikelvr
May 29th, 2005 at 11:55am
mikeDrox_my_sox:
i saw a programme at school about anorexia and people with body issues and this woman was so miserable with her thighs she tried to cut the fat out with a stanley knife...

oh
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
May 29th, 2005 at 12:07pm
mikeDrox_my_sox:

oh my days. thats awful. she must have felt so disgusted by herself. its so sad that people feel that bad about themselves.
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
[XxXflowerfairyXxX]
May 29th, 2005 at 03:47pm
i really don't understand why everyone trys to be perfect...or too thin....the media has warped true beauty
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
May 30th, 2005 at 09:28pm
"Now everybody do the propoganda"

Yeah, just thought I'd mention that....

And it's true. if I watch any channel on television, in one comercial break, there will be a minimum of two cortislim, trimspa, or any other weight loss thing. It's crazy. i mean, looks don't matter much. Healthy is good, not jamming pills down your body. And loooks dont' make you happy. Crazy people.
Register