Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 23rd, 2006 at 11:30pm
Kyna:
Kitti:
Kyna:
I don't like pledging myself to a piece of decorative cloth.

The flag is a symbol.
Not a just piece of cloth. A piece of cloth that stands for something else.

Here, a story--
In the middle ages, knights would carry a silk scarf or other bit of cloth from the lady they served as a standard into battle.
It was a representation of who and what they were fighting for.
A bit like a flag. That's how it was displayed, after all.

So you aren't pledging yourself to the cloth. You pledge yourself to what it means.

Doesn't that turn everyone into a soldier who pledges to the decorated cloth symbol?
What? Where on Earth did such a theory find it's way into your head?
Kyna
Geek
Kyna
May 24th, 2006 at 01:10am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Kyna:
Kitti:
Kyna:
I don't like pledging myself to a piece of decorative cloth.

The flag is a symbol.
Not a just piece of cloth. A piece of cloth that stands for something else.

Here, a story--
In the middle ages, knights would carry a silk scarf or other bit of cloth from the lady they served as a standard into battle.
It was a representation of who and what they were fighting for.
A bit like a flag. That's how it was displayed, after all.

So you aren't pledging yourself to the cloth. You pledge yourself to what it means.

Doesn't that turn everyone into a soldier who pledges to the decorated cloth symbol?
What? Where on Earth did such a theory find it's way into your head?
If you pledge your allegiance to a piece of cloth... does that make you a knight? If it does... I think that is reason enough to not llike the pledge of allegiance being in schools. Children don't understand the significance of what a pledge is normally until they have had life experience.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
May 24th, 2006 at 04:02am
Kyna:
If you pledge your allegiance to a piece of cloth... does that make you a knight? If it does... I think that is reason enough to not llike the pledge of allegiance being in schools. Children don't understand the significance of what a pledge is normally until they have had life experience.

The knight was an example Confused She was saying that you were pledging yourself to what the flag represented, not to the actual flag. She didn't mean that you were pledging your allegiance to a peice of cloth and that therefore made you a knight Eh
Kyna
Geek
Kyna
May 24th, 2006 at 10:49am
Coff:
Kyna:

The knight was an example Confused She was saying that you were pledging yourself to what the flag represented, not to the actual flag. She didn't mean that you were pledging your allegiance to a peice of cloth and that therefore made you a knight Eh
I know. Children don't understand the significance of what a pledge is until they have had life experience. That is still reason to not have the pledge of allegiance in schools.
Her_Infernal_Majesty
King For A Couple Of Days
Her_Infernal_Majesty
May 24th, 2006 at 03:33pm
It doesn't really matter to me since I'm British but I don't see the big deal in the under God part cause ppl shouldn't really get upset about aomething that's just like that anyway!

But what do I know! I'm English, i'm not american so don't sue me
Spun-out-in-my-room
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Spun-out-in-my-room
May 24th, 2006 at 11:48pm
i learned what the pledge meant and what you were saying in 3rd grade. I was also told that i don't have to say it at all, i can skip under god, or just not say it. No one ever forces you to. When this was brought to the supreme court it was just because the dad wanted it changed. His daughter didn't mind what she was saying. Why do people make such a huge deal? It's taught in schools to teach citizenship and loyalty to your country, which isnt a bad thing. the part about 'under god' was written by christians, but they never force you to believe in god, its really more of a saying. People constantly say things that i dont agree with or want to hear, but i put up with it. The pledge isnt likely to change and even if it does, i'll still say it the old way. It's engrained in me, although i see why people don't like it, it's not a violaton to anyone's rights. it's just a poem. people have started paying attention to the wrong line. it does say 'liberty and justice for all'
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
May 25th, 2006 at 05:31pm
C'mon, if nothing else, guys, IT SOUNDS BETTER WITHOUT "UNDER GOD!" Yes, that was caps abuse, but I needed that. I think it flows much better without those two little words...
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
June 6th, 2006 at 08:09am
dirtyhippie:
C'mon, if nothing else, guys, IT SOUNDS BETTER WITHOUT "UNDER GOD!" Yes, that was caps abuse, but I needed that. I think it flows much better without those two little words...
some people want to say it, so, to keep everyone in sync, just say, "under [insert beliefe here]"
honestly, say, "under Ala", "under Buddah", "under Me", it's not that hard

why is this even an issue?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 09:58am
spill_no_sick:
dirtyhippie:
some people want to say it, so, to keep everyone in sync, just say, "under [insert beliefe here]"

Also, if your only goal in saying the pledge is to make it sound good, chances are you need to just sit down and not say it at all. Rolling Eyes

Other peoples beliefes shouldnt be ignored so your schools pledge can sound all nice and tidy. Thats unfair to them.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 6th, 2006 at 10:56am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
spill_no_sick:
dirtyhippie:

Also, if your only goal in saying the pledge is to make it sound good, chances are you need to just sit down and not say it at all. Rolling Eyes

Other peoples beliefes shouldnt be ignored so your schools pledge can sound all nice and tidy. Thats unfair to them.
happy post 5555
and good point, a lot of people just shouldn't say it because they feel no allegiance to their country
Dispatch SOS
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Dispatch SOS
June 6th, 2006 at 01:11pm
I choose not to say the pledge not just because of the "under God" issue, but also because, like spill_no_sick said, I feel no allegiance to America.
The pledge states "with liberty and justice for all". The way I see it, this country has been doing an excellent job of not providing those to two things to all it's citizens.
Why should I give my allegiance to a country that's own pledge is hypocritical?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 01:26pm
Radiation Nation:
I choose not to say the pledge not just because of the "under God" issue, but also because, like spill_no_sick said, I feel no allegiance to America.
The pledge states "with liberty and justice for all". The way I see it, this country has been doing an excellent job of not providing those to two things to all it's citizens.
How has the contry not been providng that? They allow you to go to school and get an education, they are off fighting a war to protect you, this whole hating the government trend is getting old.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 6th, 2006 at 02:15pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Radiation Nation:
How has the contry not been providng that? They allow you to go to school and get an education, they are off fighting a war to protect you, this whole hating the government trend is getting old.
it's fine
I know a lot of people think "government, that obviously means bad, and since America's government is hyped, it must be super bad!"

I'd rather not stand next to people who hate this country and the government (though I do want to see them move to another country for a year....lmfao
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 02:17pm
spill_no_sick:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Radiation Nation:
it's fine
I know a lot of people think "government, that obviously means bad, and since America's government is hyped, it must be super bad!"

I'd rather not stand next to people who hate this country and the government (though I do want to see them move to another country for a year....lmfao
Yeah, move to a third world country for a year and then you will see just how much the evil, awful government does.
Dispatch SOS
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Dispatch SOS
June 6th, 2006 at 02:50pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
spill_no_sick:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Radiation Nation:
it's fine

Yeah, move to a third world country for a year and then you will see just how much the evil, awful government does.

I never once said government was evil and awful. Just because I disagree with the direction this nation is heading in, doesn't mean I'm some anarchist.
Last time I checked, this was supposedly a free country, where I could state my opinion without being shot down by others who disagree with me.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 03:10pm
Radiation Nation:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
spill_no_sick:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Radiation Nation:
it's fine

I never once said government was evil and awful. Just because I disagree with the direction this nation is heading in, doesn't mean I'm some anarchist.
Last time I checked, this was supposedly a free country, where I could state my opinion without being shot down by others who disagree with me.
Yeah, and that also gives me the right to state mine.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 03:14pm
I don't usually do the pledge.

The U.S. is one of the most hypocritical countrie's in the world. It's disgraceful.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 03:17pm
Handguns For Hearts:

The U.S. is one of the most hypocritical countrie's in the world. It's disgraceful.
If your going to make bold statements like that, be detailed or don't make them at all, how can we debate that? We can't.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 03:20pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Handguns For Hearts:

If your going to make bold statements like that, be detailed or don't make them at all, how can we debate that? We can't.

I can give you an example.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2006 at 03:23pm
Handguns For Hearts:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Handguns For Hearts:

I can give you an example.
Well, to be disgracfully hypocritical, we'd need more than one.... but yeah, an example please.
Register