Song Writin Process

AuthorMessage
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
August 1st, 2005 at 11:42pm
alright, I'm just wondering the process everyone else goes through to write songs (music, not lyrics, lyrics aren't songs)

I don't know what I do
sometimes I'm humming and just play that, sometimes I don't even have the bass plugged in and I'm strumming nothing, then when I hear it I just have to make a few adjustments and it's good
what do you all do?
ace.
Idiot
ace.
August 2nd, 2005 at 08:15am
my music always comes before my lyrics. most of the time i'm just messing around, going through chords i haven't played in a while or running off some little riff i'm proud of myself for. or both, when i'm able to combine something catchy with something of substance (i.e. the riff and the chords) then i can really come up with something. lyrics always come second, because how i feel about what i played or how i felt while playing it conveys what kind of song its going to be.
Franny.
Franny.
August 2nd, 2005 at 06:25pm
well usually (ok almost always) i have my guitar in my hands, even when im doing other stuff cuz things come to me out of nowhere. i just hum stuff or strum stuff and then have a rhythm and it comes together. my band mates always always tells me to write things down cuz i tend to forget them lol. but yesterday i had something memorized, and i did memorize it a few hours later but the rhythm was gone. i was so angry.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
August 2nd, 2005 at 08:56pm
yeah, me 2, I just grab my guitar and experiment a bit... to see if I get any inspiration...
State Radio
State Radio
August 3rd, 2005 at 11:26pm
i just fuck around then when i catch something that i like i develop it into a rythym (sp?) then i just add little extra stuff and it becomes a song
Ilse
Ilse
August 5th, 2005 at 01:09am
I can't write music for shit.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
August 5th, 2005 at 09:29am
ill just be playing anything, and if it sounds any good, ill mess around with it until im happy with how it sounds and try and write the rest of the song round it......the lyrics usually come later or separately.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
August 5th, 2005 at 09:32am
GreenDay420:
well usually (ok almost always) i have my guitar in my hands, even when im doing other stuff cuz things come to me out of nowhere. i just hum stuff or strum stuff and then have a rhythm and it comes together. my band mates always always tells me to write things down cuz i tend to forget them lol. but yesterday i had something memorized, and i did memorize it a few hours later but the rhythm was gone. i was so angry.

i know the feeling! you can never play it exactly as you did, so then you end up playing something completely different and occasionly you end up liking the new idea better Very Happy .
Avantidrummer
Geek
Avantidrummer
August 5th, 2005 at 02:34pm
We write differen't ways - when writing as a band, commonly our bass player will start playing a random riff during a break at practice, then our guitarist will automatically join in and then I'll join in - basically jamming. If it sounds good, we'll put a tune and lyrics to it - we've written quite a few songs this way.
Anouk
Geek
Anouk
August 5th, 2005 at 04:03pm
I just write lyrics (sorry, without them, no song for me) and then I start jamming on my guitar and when I find the perfect riff, I have a song!
Orli*D
Idiot
Orli*D
August 5th, 2005 at 09:27pm
I mess around a bit. The music always comes before lyrics, i used to write songs without an instrument but now i find it impossible!
punk_in_drublic
Idiot
punk_in_drublic
August 6th, 2005 at 09:19am
i usually just play scales n shit n just hope that i play something good.....lyrics come alot later. at the mo im playing this really cool riff. actually sounds alittle eric clapton like. havent even thought about lyrics
Mel_BassPlayer
Idiot
Mel_BassPlayer
August 6th, 2005 at 08:30pm
*StJimmyRIPmyLove*:
yeah, me 2, I just grab my guitar and experiment a bit... to see if I get any inspiration...

thats what I do but with Bass....I get a beat or rythim in my head that I like then I experement with the notes Smile and lyrics are pretty easy...I just put all my emotions on to the paper.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
August 7th, 2005 at 06:35pm
i'll be walking somewhere by myself or something and a beat of music will generally come into my head and i'll go from there or i'll just expiriment and see what i come up with and combine things and stuff like that. and igenerally have lyrics written separetly and i just choose the ones that i think fit with it the best and change the music/lyrics arounda little so they go together better or something. but a lot of times if im recording something i have lyrics and improv the music (like cspull or shave a duck). andthen there's jazzspurr cazzspurr where even the lyrics are just come up with on the spot.
arg-ima-pirate
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
arg-ima-pirate
August 10th, 2005 at 02:00pm
i just hear stuff in my head... not voices (well sometimes voices). then i put it on the guitar. or, i'll just be messin around and find somethin really cool.
NessyLamb
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
NessyLamb
August 10th, 2005 at 05:58pm
i guess jsut grabbing woteva u play nd tryin sum diff stuff out , experiment or use other artists music as a starting point but then change it so its your own
MixitUp20
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
MixitUp20
August 10th, 2005 at 06:14pm
i usually am just like messing around and hummin and shit and something awsome comes to me... or i'm messin around on my guitar. i like to write my lyrics first then sit down and write music to it. it's easier for me to do it that way.
killing loneliness
Idiot
killing loneliness
August 13th, 2005 at 08:56pm
the thing is that i only have the music well, written down for just one of my songs( 1 out of 23, embaressing, i mean, i feel embaressed)...and that was cuz my guitar teatcher helped( well, the thing is that i'm kinda afraid to show someone my work, cuz i feel embaressed, told u), well, my ideas come when i'm alone, thinkin of some shit, then i just hunm some "wtf" tune, i don't no, n then i think about words, n there you have it, all i need tthen will be a pencil and a sheet of paper...but, i'm far too lazy to write down the music, my guitar teatcher, kinda sayd what chordss i had to play, the rythm n um, thats the whole story, i feel realy retarded, sorry, god, i feel so embaressed, nevermind...
Quaaan
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Quaaan
August 14th, 2005 at 04:37am
I write some of the lyrics first, then i decide how i want the music to sound with it. After i know how i want it to sound i grab a guitar (or bass, depending on what i was thinking about) and play something until it sounds like what was in my head. Then i go back and fix te lyrics up a biit, then fix the music, keep doing that, in the end i never get anything done.
Wild*Punk*Child
Geek
Wild*Punk*Child
August 14th, 2005 at 12:04pm
hmmm. i start with the lyrics, sorry but thats how i work, write down feeling then put music to them, lol, then i just mess about on guitar or keyboard till i get something i like n can work with, my friends better at the music part though!
Register