The Obesity Jab

AuthorMessage
Fely
Basket Case
Fely
August 5th, 2005 at 10:05pm
people shouldn't depend on drugs unless they really need them e.g Diabetes,Asthma etc
Gillian
King For A Couple Of Days
Gillian
August 5th, 2005 at 10:43pm
Pfft.
They should take junk food off the market, if they're that worried.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 5th, 2005 at 11:46pm
Something Vague:
Pfft.

YOUR KIDDING.

yea right,

its that people need to take more initiative NOT to get themselves into that situation, unless their ill for some reason, and you have to watch out for your friends too. i go running with mine every once in a while, some more than often. we have a great time, i dont know why more people dont do things like that?
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 6th, 2005 at 01:01am
Something Vague:
Pfft.

surprisingly there would be an uproar, when it was proved in the forties that was alcohol was bad for you, it was made illegal. But the public went in uproar and the government caved into pressure.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 6th, 2005 at 01:08am
NeoSteph:
Something Vague:
Pfft.

surprisingly there would be an uproar, when it was proved in the forties that was alcohol was bad for you, it was made illegal. But the public went in uproar and the government caved into pressure.
Yeah. If they ban McDonalds or something, do you know how much spacier New York City will suddenly seem? I swear there's a McDonalds for almost every block.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 6th, 2005 at 01:10am
Anji:
NeoSteph:
Something Vague:
Pfft.

Yeah. If they ban McDonalds or something, do you know how much spacier New York City will suddenly seem? I swear there's a McDonalds for almost every block.

if 'they' planted a tree for every McDonald in the world, the rainforest would no longer be endanger of being destroyed.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 6th, 2005 at 01:10am
Anji:
NeoSteph:
Something Vague:
Pfft.

actually, it was in the twenties when prohibition was, or the great depression.... it DEFINITLY wasnt during the 40's.

and you cant ban a business unless its doing something illegal, and making people fat isnt illegal, but it does give them money, and thats why there there.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 6th, 2005 at 01:13am
zdf_jammin:
Anji:
NeoSteph:
Something Vague:
Pfft.

actually, it was in the twenties when prohibition was, or the great depression.... it DEFINITLY wasnt during the 40's.

and you cant ban a business unless its doing something illegal, and making people fat isnt illegal, but it does give them money, and thats why there there.

The great depression was 1923, wall street crash was 1929, the ban on alocohol was after world war two, or some restriction was made
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 6th, 2005 at 01:16am
January 16th was whe the 18th amendment prohibiting alcohol was put into place.

1947 was when a restriction on alcohol entering the untied was placed, because of trade being damaged in war time.

I always get my figures mixed up.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 6th, 2005 at 01:16am
no, the depression was after the wall street crash in october of 1929, because the only people who had trouble in the 20's were farmers, they had it REAL bad. but everyone was doing great, the economy was great, cars had JUSTA came out. this is what i can recall of one month of history on the twentys in the US.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 6th, 2005 at 01:19am
zdf_jammin:
no, the depression was after the wall street crash in october of 1929, because the only people who had trouble in the 20's were farmers, they had it REAL bad. but everyone was doing great, the economy was great, cars had JUSTA came out. this is what i can recall of one month of history on the twentys in the US.

No i'm talking about the great depression in europe, that happened in 1923. When europe went into debt and had to borrow alot of money from America.

I'm english and i study German History.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 6th, 2005 at 01:28am
oooooooooo, ok. good deal
eberneezer_egghead
Falling In Love With The Board
eberneezer_egghead
August 6th, 2005 at 11:23am
I also read in the paper a couple of days ago that the jab cannot be given out to children under 16 at the moment. If they're going to give out this jab, shouln't it be issued to the younger people mostly? Beause they are the ones that need it mostly to prevent illnesses in later life....
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
August 6th, 2005 at 11:41pm
paradoxical:
yeah. thats why they have salads and stuff now...
I read that the salads are actually worse for you than the hamburgers...
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
August 7th, 2005 at 12:34am
eberneezer_egghead:
I just found some information on the new "obesity jab".

Injections of a gut hormone which switches off appetite helps overweight people lose pounds, a study has found.
A team from Imperial College say the four-week trial suggested oxyntomodulin - naturally found in the intestine - could be a new way of tackling obesity.

The research in Diabetes said those on the hormone lost an average of 2.3kg (5lbs) in four weeks, compared to 0.5kg (1lb) for those on a dummy treatment.

Experts said more studies were needed to confirm the hormone's benefits.

Dr Ian Campbell, National Obesity Forum

Oxyntomodulin is normally released from the small intestine as food is consumed.

It tells the brain not to eat any more at the end of a meal when the body has had enough to eat.

The researchers, from Imperial College and Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust, studied the effect of boosting people's oxyntomodulin levels.

I personally think this idea of an Obesity Jab is ridiculous. Yes, the government is trying to tackle the obesity issue over here, but why a jab? Why can't they think of another way? Obese people should want to lose weight anyway. Personally I think they should carry on thinking of ideas for an AIDS jab, first.
yeah, there are definately quicker and better ways than that.

and an aids jab is WAY more important right now
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
August 7th, 2005 at 12:38am
Yes, I own Mike! MUAHAHA!:
eberneezer_egghead:
I just found some information on the new "obesity jab".

Injections of a gut hormone which switches off appetite helps overweight people lose pounds, a study has found.
A team from Imperial College say the four-week trial suggested oxyntomodulin - naturally found in the intestine - could be a new way of tackling obesity.

The research in Diabetes said those on the hormone lost an average of 2.3kg (5lbs) in four weeks, compared to 0.5kg (1lb) for those on a dummy treatment.

Experts said more studies were needed to confirm the hormone's benefits.

Dr Ian Campbell, National Obesity Forum

Oxyntomodulin is normally released from the small intestine as food is consumed.

It tells the brain not to eat any more at the end of a meal when the body has had enough to eat.

The researchers, from Imperial College and Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust, studied the effect of boosting people's oxyntomodulin levels.

I personally think this idea of an Obesity Jab is ridiculous. Yes, the government is trying to tackle the obesity issue over here, but why a jab? Why can't they think of another way? Obese people should want to lose weight anyway. Personally I think they should carry on thinking of ideas for an AIDS jab, first.
yeah, there are definately quicker and better ways than that.

and an aids jab is WAY more important right now
Definately.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 7th, 2005 at 01:11am
yea, but like dom said before,

you cant just leave the people who diabetes out, who are fat due to their illness. you have to be able to treat everyone, regardless. and everyone has to pitch in, including the patients.
airguitarist
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
airguitarist
August 7th, 2005 at 02:50pm
AIDS and obesity are both big issues. For those who are overweight, I think they should focus more on overcoming obesity, than AIDS. "Your health is your wealth," and people should take care of themselves first before forcusing their attention on other matters.

Personally, I don't think that they should take away the fast food places just because our country has obesity issues. People have CHOICES, so if they want to eat junk food, then let them. But the rest of us shouldn't have to be affected by someone's poor diet.

Lyposuction (sp?). It'll get rid of that unwanted fat, but is that honestly the best and safest way to be healthy? I see lyposuction as the 'easy' way out for overweight people. It's like they're too lazy to try working out and dieting on their own. I think that if you are having troubles losing the weight, and you've tried all diets, workouts, and etc. then you could go through with it. Sme for diet pills, those aren't always safe. It's like people thinking 'hmmm...i dont like working out so i'll just let this pill do the work to solve my problem.'

I think that the diet jab is just another easy way out.
Headfirst For Halos
Headfirst For Halos
August 7th, 2005 at 05:21pm
losers_are_cool:
paradoxical:
yeah. thats why they have salads and stuff now...
I read that the salads are actually worse for you than the hamburgers...
The salads you get in places like McDonalds, who use fatty dressing and stuff like that, are worse for you than a burger.
Generally, salads are better for you though, but it depends on the type of burger and type of salad.
Headfirst For Halos
Headfirst For Halos
August 7th, 2005 at 05:23pm
NeoSteph:
seeing as colectively the world spends over 5 trillion in money to help doctors try and find a cure for aids, you can rest assure there doing all there can.

Think of it this way, a jab for obesity would help tackle diabetes, diabetes among other thing also hurts your immune system because of the sugar levels in your blood. The HIV virus is a defiancy in the immune system

All medical foundations are the same, you cure one disease, you've already the got your foot in the door for curing the next.
I agree with Steph.
Register