Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
September 28th, 2005 at 07:34am
Half-Way Haunted:
NeoSteph:
Half-Way Haunted:
I don't like monarchy.

This sort of effects me, because I live in Aus, and we're under the British monarchy too.

See, the thing is, people are like 'what's the difference if we have a queen or not? She doesn't have any power.'

Quite untrue. She has the power to override any laws that get passed. She has the ultimate power.

Just because Elizabeth isn't using it doesn't mean her successor won't.

I don't like the idea of a president too much either, but it's better than having one person who has ultimate control, whether they bother with it or not. At least a president can be controlled, to some extent. They're only in the damn position for a few years before we have the chance to kick them out again. A Monarch's in it for life.

And there's fuck all you can do about it.

The reason the queen never uses her power is because the government would throw the monarchy out if they started to gain control again, there a figurehead and nothing more, not since Magan Carta anyway.

A president would have ultimate power and wouldn'y have to listen to Parliament, the way i see the queen is the people's trump card for when democracy in the government breaks down.

mm...

I guess so.

Like I said, I don't like the idea of a president much either. Until someone invents something better, I suppose the monarchy should stay. Thing is, it appears to me that the only arguement so far on this thread is that they bring in cash...

Well we can't even use that.

the 'cash' the monarchy make, is through tourism which goes directly into are economy, which helps build schools and hostpitals, so yes we do use it. it actually makes up the largest part of our economy.
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
King For A Couple Of Days
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
September 28th, 2005 at 08:54pm
tradition is important. and it DOES help for tourism.
but honestly, does the monarchy even do anything? important?
*.·°¤?What_the_fuck?¤°·.*
Geek
September 29th, 2005 at 08:48am
I'm aussie,
& i support the ideas of republicanism.
I think Australia being independent would be better
Maybe then we wouldn't follow Britain into war like we have for 80 years?
Hotel New Archaic
Idiot
Hotel New Archaic
September 29th, 2005 at 09:11am
NeoSteph:
Half-Way Haunted:
NeoSteph:
Half-Way Haunted:
I don't like monarchy.

This sort of effects me, because I live in Aus, and we're under the British monarchy too.

See, the thing is, people are like 'what's the difference if we have a queen or not? She doesn't have any power.'

Quite untrue. She has the power to override any laws that get passed. She has the ultimate power.

I don't like the idea of a president too much either, but it's better than having one person who has ultimate control, whether they bother with it or not. At least a president can be controlled, to some extent. They're only in the damn position for a few years before we have the chance to kick them out again. A Monarch's in it for life.

The reason the queen never uses her power is because the government would throw the monarchy out if they started to gain control again, there a figurehead and nothing more, not since Magan Carta anyway.

A president would have ultimate power and wouldn'y have to listen to Parliament, the way i see the queen is the people's trump card for when democracy in the government breaks down.

mm...

I guess so.

Like I said, I don't like the idea of a president much either. Until someone invents something better, I suppose the monarchy should stay. Thing is, it appears to me that the only arguement so far on this thread is that they bring in cash...

the 'cash' the monarchy make, is through tourism which goes directly into are economy, which helps build schools and hostpitals, so yes we do use it. it actually makes up the largest part of our economy.

Yeah, it does for you.

I'm in Australia, mate.

We've got the queen, but we don't get any of the royalties.
Geek
September 29th, 2005 at 09:14am
Half-Way Haunted:
NeoSteph:
Half-Way Haunted:
NeoSteph:
Half-Way Haunted:
I don't like monarchy.

mm...

I guess so.

Yeah, it does for you.

I'm in Australia, mate.

We've got the queen, but we don't get any of the royalties.

EXACTLY! The Monarchy does Fuck all, for us in australia atleast.

We should be a republic...
Toastboy
Jackass
Toastboy
September 29th, 2005 at 03:22pm
i dont really like the idea of the british monarchy, but hey we have a president, he does basically the same thing, promotes the country, but i dont really care wat happens to the monarchy, it wont affect a lot of people on this board
Quit Reading My Name
Jackass
Quit Reading My Name
September 29th, 2005 at 04:04pm
no - it's part of British history, and it's part of what people associate us with - buses, Big Ben, crumpets and tea, and the Queen!
B.J
Falling In Love With The Board
B.J
September 30th, 2005 at 03:55am
Wow 50 50 wierd
Gilly the Goldfish
Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
September 30th, 2005 at 01:23pm
good its good there's different opinions Very Happy
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 10th, 2006 at 07:09pm
i would like to say thanks to all of you who didnt call diana the princess of wales many peole forget that she lost that title when she divorced charles and anyway many of the welsh people didnt call her they're princess anyway.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 11th, 2006 at 03:51am
tre_cool_is_god:
i would like to say thanks to all of you who didnt call diana the princess of wales many peole forget that she lost that title when she divorced charles and anyway many of the welsh people didnt call her they're princess anyway.

I always called her Princess Diana, but then I was really young and didn't know about the divorce at the time.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 11th, 2006 at 05:57am
Incubus:
tre_cool_is_god:

I always called her Princess Diana, but then I was really young and didn't know about the divorce at the time.

i was just saying thanks it makes a change because people still call her the princess of wales.
Gilly the Goldfish
Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
February 22nd, 2006 at 12:16pm
^_^Thrills&Chills^_^:

caused the english civil war?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 22nd, 2006 at 12:41pm
Baroness Buxton:
^_^Thrills&Chills^_^:

Charles I wasn't soley responsible for the Rebellion, by a long way. There are many different factors to consider when discussing the Civil war.
Gilly the Goldfish
Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
February 23rd, 2006 at 01:01pm
Bloodraine:
Baroness Buxton:
^_^Thrills&Chills^_^:

Charles I wasn't soley responsible for the Rebellion, by a long way. There are many different factors to consider when discussing the Civil war.

i know social political and economic factors contributed. unfortunately i've studied it in depth...
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
February 23rd, 2006 at 01:26pm
*~Tre is mah homeboy!~*:
i dont really like the idea of the british monarchy, but hey we have a president, he does basically the same thing, promotes the country, but i dont really care wat happens to the monarchy, it wont affect a lot of people on this board

The president doesnt "promote the country" He is part of the Executive branch, which consists of more than just him, he is no more powerful than any other branch of Government. Study the checks and balances of Government.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 23rd, 2006 at 02:34pm
Baroness Buxton:
i know social political and economic factors contributed. unfortunately i've studied it in depth...

So have I. It's all part of the secondary eductaion Syllabus.

Why unfortunately, you say?. The English Civil War (like any war in my opinion) is fascinating and interesting to study. I remeber doing it all way back in Year Eight.
+_Pledged_+
Idiot
+_Pledged_+
February 24th, 2006 at 08:36am
The monarchy bring tourists here, last year we had almost double the amount of tourists visited something monarchy-related than the london eye, but aswell as bringing in money, they are also spending tax payers money on themselves, and it wasn't until last year (i think Eh) that they actually started paying tax on the money they "earned".

So yeah, I'm 50/50.
+_Pledged_+
Idiot
+_Pledged_+
February 24th, 2006 at 08:38am
And the queen has almost no political power anyway.
Gilly the Goldfish
Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
February 24th, 2006 at 11:13am
Bloodraine:
Baroness Buxton:

So have I. It's all part of the secondary eductaion Syllabus.

Why unfortunately, you say?. The English Civil War (like any war in my opinion) is fascinating and interesting to study. I remeber doing it all way back in Year Eight.

yeh thats when i studied it.
My teacher was a dick and bored the hell out of me. I looked at it again about a year ago and did find it rather more interesting.
Register