The Q&A thread

AuthorMessage
Wakemeupwhenrealityends
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Wakemeupwhenrealityends
January 1st, 2006 at 10:15pm
Hi I need help! I'm teaching myself how to play guitar and I have a question. How do you play tabs like these?:
---------------------------
---9---9---9---9--9--9---
---7---7---7---7---7--7--
Could someone please help me out!
Wakemeupwhenrealityends
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Wakemeupwhenrealityends
January 1st, 2006 at 10:16pm
How do you 'mute' strings?
Jimmy's Kid
Idiot
Jimmy's Kid
January 7th, 2006 at 05:24pm
anyone know what key WMUWSE is in?
Iwannajumpout
Idiot
Iwannajumpout

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2006 at 10:26pm
Jimmy's Kid:
I might be wrong (95% sure), but I think it's E minor.
Iwannajumpout
Idiot
Iwannajumpout

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2006 at 10:33pm
~I Am Canadian~:
So I don't play that string?
You'd stum all the strings, even the x'd one, but take one of the fingers of your left (the fret hand) and get it to touch, but not push down hard on the string. It won't ring out=muted.
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
January 7th, 2006 at 11:17pm
Wakemeupwhenrealityends:
Hi I need help! I'm teaching myself how to play guitar and I have a question. How do you play tabs like these?:
I'm not completely sure, because I'm into bass, but I think you would use your fingers and use two of them at once to play it. But that's just me.
Jimmy's Kid
Idiot
Jimmy's Kid
January 7th, 2006 at 11:29pm
Iwannajumpout:
Jimmy's Kid:
I might be wrong (95% sure), but I think it's E minor.
thank you
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
January 9th, 2006 at 05:50am
Jimmy's Kid:
The tabs that I have, it's standard tuning.
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
January 9th, 2006 at 05:54am
Whatsername_:
Wakemeupwhenrealityends:
I'm not completely sure, because I'm into bass, but I think you would use your fingers and use two of them at once to play it. But that's just me.
That can be played either with finger picking, using your thumb and any of your other fingers at the same time.
Or using a pick you'll have to mute the E string and the D string.

So, what Whatsername said. Almost.
...Mike.&.Ike...
Idiot
...Mike.&.Ike...
January 26th, 2006 at 03:28pm
i just got my guitar,im left handed and i have a left handed guitar and all the other stuff, i wanted to know ..is every thing backwards from what i look at of what? can someone please help me!
bass_may4_32110
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
bass_may4_32110
February 2nd, 2006 at 06:43pm
Whatsername_:
Also, one more. In your opinion (if it's opinionated), what is better? Pic or fingers. (basswise) For me, it sounds much better using pics and I can't use my fingers for some reason. It sounds too low and I can't get it to use the right sound.

learn to play with a pick and fingers, for some songs it will be an advantage bein able to play with both of them
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
February 4th, 2006 at 09:35pm
...Mike.&.Ike...:
YAY! i just got a supris guitar but i want to start easy, what would be the easiest green day song to play??????
blvd of broken dreams. like 4 or 5 easy chords for the whole song
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
March 6th, 2006 at 11:44am
Cecilia:
Ask there:
http://www.geekstinkbreath.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=27854

You don't need to post if you don't know anything about it Rolling Eyes
That's appreciative.

Nice Cecilia. thanks.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
March 6th, 2006 at 12:06pm
Buttermilk Rusk:
Cecilia:
Ask there:

That's appreciative.

Nice Cecilia. thanks.

What? Dno
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
March 6th, 2006 at 12:14pm
Cecilia:
Buttermilk Rusk:
Cecilia:
Ask there:

That's appreciative.

Nice Cecilia. thanks.

What? Dno
No. It's fine.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
March 7th, 2006 at 02:54pm
For acoustics--

Do I need an acoustic amplifier or can any amp work?
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
March 8th, 2006 at 10:29am
I have an electronic tuner for my guitar, and I can't seem to work with it. It always just flashes correct, flat, AND sharp on each string. Stupid question, yeah, but I'd still appreciate some help...

Mwaha.

Okay, if you're using an electric guitar, make sure if yu plug it in that your guitar volume is on full.

If you don't have a tuner that plugs into the guitar, [I don't think they exist though...] then putting the tuner next to an amp won't work because of distortions etc that confuse the thing.

Pluck the string like, twice a second to keep the note fresh. Also try to hold down the other strings to avoid them giving off sympathetic vibrations.

If you've checked all these things, and [I know, mine does this too sometimes] if you have a tuner with a little dial that swings back and forth, the stupid thing goes left right left right like a mad man and never settles in the middle. It's annoying as piss.

Anyway, if it still doesn't make up it's bloody mind, it could be that you have bastard old strings.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
March 8th, 2006 at 07:14pm
Buttermilk Rusk:
I have an electronic tuner for my guitar, and I can't seem to work with it. It always just flashes correct, flat, AND sharp on each string. Stupid question, yeah, but I'd still appreciate some help...

Mwaha.

Okay, if you're using an electric guitar, make sure if yu plug it in that your guitar volume is on full.

If you don't have a tuner that plugs into the guitar, [I don't think they exist though...] then putting the tuner next to an amp won't work because of distortions etc that confuse the thing.

Pluck the string like, twice a second to keep the note fresh. Also try to hold down the other strings to avoid them giving off sympathetic vibrations.

If you've checked all these things, and [I know, mine does this too sometimes] if you have a tuner with a little dial that swings back and forth, the stupid thing goes left right left right like a mad man and never settles in the middle. It's annoying as piss.

Anyway, if it still doesn't make up it's bloody mind, it could be that you have bastard old strings.

I guess I should've made this clear. It's an acoustic guitar, and I just place it on my knee right by the guitar.

Hah, exactly, it keeps going back and fourth.

Thanks for the help. ^^
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
March 9th, 2006 at 08:42am
underxpressurex:
Buttermilk Rusk:

Mwaha.

I guess I should've made this clear. It's an acoustic guitar, and I just place it on my knee right by the guitar.

Thanks for the help. ^^
Then the only things that could be wrong are:
A)Bugger old strings
B)Messed up tuner.

Also, remember "Pluck the string like, twice a second to keep the note fresh. Also try to hold down the other strings to avoid them giving off sympathetic vibrations. " and make sure there's no other sound in the backround to confuse it.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
March 9th, 2006 at 03:06pm
Buttermilk Rusk:
underxpressurex:
Buttermilk Rusk:

Mwaha.

Thanks for the help. ^^
Then the only things that could be wrong are:
A)Bugger old strings
B)Messed up tuner.

Also, remember "Pluck the string like, twice a second to keep the note fresh. Also try to hold down the other strings to avoid them giving off sympathetic vibrations. " and make sure there's no other sound in the backround to confuse it.

The guitar's only about a year old, and I've tried with different tuners.

That's probably it, actually, I have a habit of touching strings I don't need to without really noticing.
Register