The Q&A thread

AuthorMessage
Franny.
Falling In Love With The Board
Franny.
July 17th, 2006 at 01:03am
Sara.:
michaeldirnt:
Does anyone know how to make learning guitar easier any tips or anything i need help just got a guitar and dont have a clue how to play well i can pick up some stuff but dont know how to read general guidlines chords anything
Get lessons. Wink

I have a question when ever i play the 5th and 4th string on my Acoustic it makes a horrible buzzing sound. How do i make it stop?

get your bridge fixed. OR you're pressing the fret in a bad spot. bring it into the guitar shop and they'll fix it for you easy. they might not even charge you.
michaeldirnt
Idiot
michaeldirnt
July 17th, 2006 at 03:12pm
[quote="Sara."]
michaeldirnt:
Does anyone know how to make learning guitar easier any tips or anything i need help just got a guitar and dont have a clue how to play well i can pick up some stuff but dont know how to read general guidlines chords anything
Get lessons. Wink

I will when i get money cuz i spent all my money on my shitty guitar so i have no money for lessons grr
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
July 17th, 2006 at 03:20pm
GreenDay420:
get your bridge fixed. OR you're pressing the fret in a bad spot. bring it into the guitar shop and they'll fix it for you easy. they might not even charge you.
Or it could be the nut, my guitar's got a messed up nut and buzzes real bad.
Franny.
Franny.
July 25th, 2006 at 02:43am
greenday6:
GreenDay420:
Or it could be the nut, my guitar's got a messed up nut and buzzes real bad.

ah!! that's what it's called! yah the nut would be the problem on an acoustic. i, sadly, don't own an acoustic so i really don't know it all too well. but yes, it would be the nut that's the problem.
yeah_you
King For A Couple Of Days
yeah_you
July 25th, 2006 at 05:17pm
ok i've got a question do all musicians read music. I play bass and for the past two months my teacher has been trying to get me to read music sheets. and its not that i don't want to but i can't remember any of them. I CAN READ TABS JUST FINE! but my question is do you have to be able to read music? do all great bassist read music?
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
July 25th, 2006 at 05:35pm
yeah_you:
ok i've got a question do all musicians read music. I play bass and for the past two months my teacher has been trying to get me to read music sheets. and its not that i don't want to but i can't remember any of them. I CAN READ TABS JUST FINE! but my question is do you have to be able to read music? do all great bassist read music?

I don't think so..
I know many good players who don't read music..
yeah_you
King For A Couple Of Days
yeah_you
July 30th, 2006 at 06:47pm
Cecilia:
yeah_you:

I don't think so..
I know many good players who don't read music..

THANK YOU!
i was so worried i was the only person who played and couldn't read music
lightknight54100
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lightknight54100
August 17th, 2006 at 02:04am
Sara.:
Where would be a good place to find the cords for Macys day Parade?

hmm......for macys day parade....i would suggest ultimate-guitar or you could try olga.net.....but sadly their facing legal trials for plagurism or something......anyways...if your still looking for macys day parade ill find and send you olga's and ultimate-guitars version of it.....

now...the song that im really trying to learn how to play is.....well i have to say that macys day parade is one of them.....then its holiday.....then waiting
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
October 4th, 2006 at 07:23pm
Alright... another question.
I have a strap, but its just a crappy starter one. I got it for free when I got my electric, to get me started and stuff.
Lately, its been coming off the clip near the bridge.
I think it might be because I hang my guitar on the wall when Im not using it, and I guess it sort of.. bends backwards while its hung up, if you know what I mean. That could be it. I dunno.
If I get a better strap, would it stop bending and coming off? Or would it happen anyway? In which case, I'd better get some safety pins or something..

btw, I'm looking for non-clip lock suggestions. XD
Franny.
Franny.
October 4th, 2006 at 08:04pm
Skatanic.:
I have a strap, but its just a crappy starter one. I got it for free when I got my electric, to get me started and stuff.
I think it might be because I hang my guitar on the wall when Im not using it, and I guess it sort of.. bends backwards while its hung up, if you know what I mean. That could be it. I dunno.
If I get a better strap, would it stop bending and coming off? Or would it happen anyway? In which case, I'd better get some safety pins or something..

getting a new one would be good. the leather (well on most straps i'm thinking) wears out on the crappier ones. i didn't think it was a problem before until i dropped my guitar because of the strap so i got a new one. it's safe so far =) and not bending it so much would be a good idea too.
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
October 4th, 2006 at 08:06pm
GreenDay420:
Skatanic.:

getting a new one would be good. the leather (well on most straps i'm thinking) wears out on the crappier ones. i didn't think it was a problem before until i dropped my guitar because of the strap so i got a new one. it's safe so far =) and not bending it so much would be a good idea too.

I had that problem too with the starter strap I think it was cuz my brother sorta attempts to plays and he's like Eric Clapton and likes wearing the strap high and I like it low so we would be switching it back and forth and it wore it out quick but I bought a new one over the summer and its so stiff and its alot better.
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
October 4th, 2006 at 08:07pm
Some straps have an end piece that's made of a heavier material, and it's kind of got a crispy cardboardy feeling so it doesn't fall off easily. They're usually the really cheap straps to, that are like 5 bucks at Guitar Center. Or you can just put a strip of duct tape on it to kind of seal it. That's what I did, and I only put the tape on the strap so that it still has movement. I'll take a picture if you don't get what I'm saying, because I suck at explaining.
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
October 4th, 2006 at 08:11pm
greenday6:
Some straps have an end piece that's made of a heavier material, and it's kind of got a crispy cardboardy feeling so it doesn't fall off easily. They're usually the really cheap straps to, that are like 5 bucks at Guitar Center. Or you can just put a strip of duct tape on it to kind of seal it. That's what I did, and I only put the tape on the strap so that it still has movement. I'll take a picture if you don't get what I'm saying, because I suck at explaining.

Oh yeah! I 've seen a lotof guitarists do that. Usually its duct tape right?
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
October 4th, 2006 at 08:34pm
The strap's come off a few times, and I've gotten some nasty bruises on my foot from the clip.. :/ I picked it up yesterday and it just flat out fell on the ground, and I was like, "shit, this isn't working".

The strap doesnt really look very worn out, but the weight of itself kind of makes the leather bend downwards. Like an upside down "L"? I'm guessing that's the problem, but I'm not sure.

Fizz, the duct tape thing makes sense, thanks. Up
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
October 4th, 2006 at 08:37pm
The Fool On The Hill:
Oh yeah! I 've seen a lotof guitarists do that. Usually its duct tape right?
A lot of musicians use duct tape for everything *cough Noodles cough*. But it sucks if you ever have to remove it. So some use gaffers tape (stagehand tape), which is just as strong but doesn't leave that nasty residue like duct tape. But that stuff is expensive. So if anybody wants to use something that won't leave a sticky residue, but costs less than $15 a roll I suggest looking into friction tape. It's used for hockey, but it's like the exact same thing as gaffers tape (it's just 1" wide instead of 2"Wink.

I've had straps get all warped and bent like that from the weight of itself, I don't know if that ever effected it (because the strap sucked beforehand to). And that's cool that you understood the duct tape thing. Fizz
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
October 4th, 2006 at 08:56pm
Sweet. I guess I'll look into buying a better strap, cause this one's crappy, like I said, and hurts my shoulder, too. o.o Thanks. :]
BrokenxDreamx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
BrokenxDreamx
October 14th, 2006 at 08:49pm
Does anyone have a tab for The Saints Are Coming? I can't read sheet music or chords yet. I'm still working on that. Thanks. Very Happy
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
October 14th, 2006 at 09:22pm
BrokenxDreamx:
Does anyone have a tab for The Saints Are Coming? I can't read sheet music or chords yet. I'm still working on that. Thanks. Very Happy
I don't know how close this is, but here try this.

The Saints are Coming
BrokenxDreamx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
BrokenxDreamx
October 15th, 2006 at 04:29pm
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
October 16th, 2006 at 07:22pm
BrokenxDreamx:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
No problem. Very Happy I have the need to tell you that you spelled 'broken' wrong in your avatar.
Register