D.A.R.E

AuthorMessage
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2007 at 06:39am
We had DARE in fifth grade and we had a really cool officer. Officer Steve. But we also have drug education in seventh ( a week) and in eight (three months). But there's a lot of kids who started drugs during high school. My brother knows. The DARE program isn't stupid, but it has to be reinforced by family and stuff. And the studetns have to actually listen and have fun during the program. One thing I learned: Depressants aren't drugs that make you sad. They slow down your body.

Yeah. It helped me. I'm not going to drink. I'm not going to smoke or anything. Maybe its just my parents, but I know for sure. Unless I become a hobo and have no food except for joints, I'ma stay away from drugs. No one in my family drinks or anything. Grandparents, aunts, unlces, all drug free. all liquor free.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
January 7th, 2007 at 06:51am
I know some places follow through with D.A.R.E. but not all schools do. We only had to take it in the 5th grade and we haven't had it since. It would probably help some people more if they did it in high school or middle school. But I agree with what the person above me just said about the family having to inforce it.
DragingIntoTheLite
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
DragingIntoTheLite
January 9th, 2007 at 05:36pm
It helped me from doing drugs, even though my life goal is to never drink or do drugs.
snow job.
Geek
snow job.

Mibba
January 9th, 2007 at 08:02pm
I think DARE is very helpful. It teaches kids at an early age about the dangers of drug consumption and violence.

I'm very glad I got to take it.
southernidiot
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
southernidiot

Blog
January 9th, 2007 at 09:05pm
Well. DARE I guess kinda helped me. I mean, when I did it, I won the first place essay thingy. I think I lied through half of it though. haha. I dunno. I made a promise to myself to never smoke. And look at me. I've never touched a single cancer stick. But... it didn't really help with the MJ. O_o
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 12th, 2007 at 10:00pm
nope
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 13th, 2007 at 01:15pm
I think they should mind their own business about my personal choices in life. It's completely out of line. I mean it would be OK if it were substance education, but instead it's substance abuse education. Also, they tell you never to do pot, speed, crack, alcohol, shrooms, yet all the people who do the guest talks always have been a drug addict at one poit, of course, they consider this tacticful, but it ends up too ironic and lame to be taken seriously. And these people have probably only got wasted twice and still live with their parents. It's completely biased and is purely for the prevention of teens using drugs. It's idiotic. They should stop bothing me.

Same goes to PETA, stop calling me a murderer just cause I like to eat bacon, and to my sex education teachers, I haven't died from sex yet. These people should be allowed to tell us what to do and what not to do.
whatsername48417
Geek
whatsername48417
January 13th, 2007 at 03:18pm
i dont think it helps
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 13th, 2007 at 03:37pm
Anji:
I think they should mind their own business about my personal choices in life.

I guess, but battling drug addictions/saving the lives of drug users who have accidents costs a lot of money. You're not the only one affected, at the end of the day.

At least here, if you OD or mess up some other way, you'll be given treatment and not expected to pay, even when it is your own choice. And the money doesn't just come from drug users, everybody has to pay to help people who make their own choices then need medical help for it. Then again, thats just a flaw of having a National Health Service.

I think people need to be free to make their own mistakes/choices/decisions. For example, my choice is abstainance. It didn't have anything to do with substance misuse classes, but I find it extremely easy to become addicted to things. And drugs (including alcohol) are a very, very common adddiction. Considering this, I figure the best possible choice for me is to never start taking these substances.

At the end if the day, the only thing that can save a person from taking drugs is themselves. You can do all the 'educating' you want, but you can't save a person from themselves.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 14th, 2007 at 05:55am
Bloodraine:
Anji:
I think they should mind their own business about my personal choices in life.

I guess, but battling drug addictions/saving the lives of drug users who have accidents costs a lot of money. You're not the only one affected, at the end of the day.

At least here, if you OD or mess up some other way, you'll be given treatment and not expected to pay, even when it is your own choice. And the money doesn't just come from drug users, everybody has to pay to help people who make their own choices then need medical help for it. Then again, thats just a flaw of having a National Health Service.

I think people need to be free to make their own mistakes/choices/decisions. For example, my choice is abstainance. It didn't have anything to do with substance misuse classes, but I find it extremely easy to become addicted to things. And drugs (including alcohol) are a very, very common adddiction. Considering this, I figure the best possible choice for me is to never start taking these substances.

At the end if the day, the only thing that can save a person from taking drugs is themselves. You can do all the 'educating' you want, but you can't save a person from themselves.
But they are enforcing their own views onto people. They are telling us what is wrong and what is right...which is wrong.

In the case of addicts, they go to rehabilitation. I'm not saying that you should completely abolish the entire drug education thing, but it shouldn't all be about how you shouldn't do it at all, it should be more about what happens as a result of taking drugs. And I don't mean all the 'social' side affects, I mean what you're doing to you're body. Because, to be honest, when D.A.R.E. came to my school, they never once mentioned the effects of drugs on the body. All they said, from what I remember was that, 'You will fail school, loose all your friends and money, and it will be hard to "live" life again.'

This guy said that, and then went on for the rest of the one hour assembley to say the same thing, but in a different order, or with more words, or backwards, or whatever. I didn't pay attention after the third time he said the same basic thing.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
January 15th, 2007 at 12:08am
if anything it told me how to hide it from people.
the class did nothing for me.
i think they start the class to young. or they should atleast have it consistantly throughout more than one year of school.
i had DARE for about 5, 1/2 classes in 5th grade. i think it was a waste of time and money to be honest.
nacho cheese and anarchy
Geek
nacho cheese and anarchy

Mibba
January 21st, 2007 at 06:25pm
I don't think D.A.R.E. was that great at all.
For one, there is almost no way to keep a 5th grader's interest for over 1/2 an hour using big word like "methamphetamine".
And two...the only thing that they'd show us the effects of were smoking. They had some guy who had that hole in his throat and talked with the microphone type thing (I suck at discribing this) come in and talk to us. (Not that we understood what he was saying anyway).
But other than smoking cigarettes, our school showed us the terrible effects of no real drugs until freshman year...which is too late anyway with too big of a gap in between.

The only thing I liked about D.A.R.E...I won Daren the D.A.R.E. Lion with my essay. That's about it.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 21st, 2007 at 09:09pm
razz; stay golden.:
I think DARE is very helpful. It teaches kids at an early age about the dangers of drug consumption and violence.

yeah, they feed kids complete bullshit propaganda and after a while the kids realize what happened and realized they weren't educated about it at all....which is why anti-drug/smoking propaganda cost U.S. tax payers half a trillion dollars since the eighties yet it's the leading cause in kids doing drugs and smoking and is causing a direct increase.......lie to the kids at a younger age, it works with anti-U.S. sentiments in Korea
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 22nd, 2007 at 08:27am
spill_no_sick:
razz; stay golden.:

yeah, they feed kids complete bullshit propaganda and after a while the kids realize what happened and realized they weren't educated about it at all....which is why anti-drug/smoking propaganda cost U.S. tax payers half a trillion dollars since the eighties yet it's the leading cause in kids doing drugs and smoking and is causing a direct increase.......lie to the kids at a younger age, it works with anti-U.S. sentiments in Korea
I like having you on my side. Dance

It's true what they say about curiosity. Poor cats. Sad

If you want to get real educated, instead of looking at the people who have 'got back on to their feet' after a drinking bender of Red Bull, go see the real crack heads, available at your local city pimp house. The people they hire never inform you properly about anything. Most of them are too self-centred and overly arrogant to tell you anything more about their own 'struggle' against taking children's cough syrip when he was an adult. Boohoo, what a tough life.

Kids aren't stupid. Most of them do realise it's a waste of time and money. Learning about substances in biology or chemistry is a lot more informative than a stranger telling you that if you smoke one joint, you will fail school and become a panner.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 22nd, 2007 at 01:01pm
I been thinking, actually, and everyone here is going to get on my case for being self contradictory but here's the thing: I can't ever recall Officer Steve telling us what a drug does. He told us the definition of drug abuse. He told us about how beer and cigarette companies advertise. He told us how and why drugs seem appealling to kids. and he told us 23489732984739847 ways to say "no."

But we didn't learn about the effects of drugs until eighth. they told us a little in sixth and seventh, like what's in a cigarette and what do they mix in some alcholoic drinks. but i had no clue what crack even was (Embarassed) until eighth. they spent a year telling us about every drug known to man and what it does. they only spent a few days on social effects.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 22nd, 2007 at 08:54pm
I remember one person said that drinking too much coffee was drug abuse. I hope she dies from a caffine over dose.
Toxic Narcotic
King For A Couple Of Days
Toxic Narcotic

Mibba
January 22nd, 2007 at 10:00pm
I have a dare t-shirt...I like to wear it around parents..they all tink I'm some kind of druggie....
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2007 at 03:28am
Anji:
I remember one person said that drinking too much coffee was drug abuse. I hope she dies from a caffine over dose.

lmfao did you know it takes like 25 kgs of chocolate to get you high? Most people tend to puke after their seventh Hershey bar...
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2007 at 03:29am
FlyingTIGER:
I have a dare t-shirt...I like to wear it around parents..they all tink I'm some kind of druggie....

How does a DARE shirt make you seem like a druggie? Drug Abuse Resistance Education. Rolling Eyes Yeah, that's sooo horrible. While it might not particularly help, DARE doesn't force people to take drugs. I have my DARE shirt too. I wear it as a pajama shirt.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 23rd, 2007 at 09:25am
lyrical_mess:
Anji:

lmfao did you know it takes like 25 kgs of chocolate to get you high? Most people tend to puke after their seventh Hershey bar...
O_o Sugar isn't a drug. What's in a Hershey bar then... Shocked
Register