Addict
ColleenStarship
October 31st, 2005 at 03:37pm
^^^^ sorry about that I forgot it was the same thread
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
October 31st, 2005 at 08:26pm
being female and therefore an expert on this...I HATE THE SMELL OF AXE! yeah, guys, wear axe, women will want to run away and VOMIT! *shudder*

freaking lies, all lies...
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
November 2nd, 2005 at 03:59pm
paradoxical:
being female and therefore an expert on this...I HATE THE SMELL OF AXE! yeah, guys, wear axe, women will want to run away and VOMIT! *shudder*

freaking lies, all lies...
I'm a guy and I knew girls hate Axe Cool
I have an advantage over guys on this....
and I do hate women's roles in commercials...I mean it starts accurate : guy wears the item, thinks he'll get laid...then he does! he has a freakin sex slave!
Kitti
Kitti
November 2nd, 2005 at 07:29pm
my brother insists on wearing it. -_- my whole house smells like it after he showers...
yech.
Dash
Jackass
Dash
August 3rd, 2006 at 01:58pm
basically products need some sort of advertising to get the attention. but i think that adverts are indeed getting worse and much more manipulative. i don't think that you can trust half of what is said about those products unless you've bought and tried it yourself.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
August 6th, 2006 at 09:47pm
Pessimistic.loser:
September_has_Ended:
Oh, and those advertisements for "Tag" and "Axe" body spray drive me up the wall. It pretty much says "spray this under your pits, and girls will wanna screw ya!"

I can' stand it. Women are almost always portrayed as sluts.
I agree!

Same. Axe makes me sick.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 02:51pm
*bump bump bump*
So, I thought this would be interesting to bring back with our free speech thread. How far do you think the government is able to go in regulating advertising and the content of commercials? Advertising can do more than just make people buy into products, it can harm their self image in the process. Seeing commercials for diet pills constantly makes teenagers have a desire to be thin. This pressure can lead to the development of eating disorders and other health problems if the pills are abused. Should the government do something about this? Or do they have no right to regulate advertisements due to the fact that it would be taking away someones freedom of expression and speech?
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
June 15th, 2007 at 05:57pm
Pretty Like Drugs:
i really hate how they basically use sex for everything and anything. a pxt phone, for instance. yeesh Rolling Eyes
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 06:00pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Pretty Like Drugs:
i really hate how they basically use sex for everything and anything. a pxt phone, for instance. yeesh Rolling Eyes
I agree, it isnt needed. But it sells, obviously. They're just using what works, and alot of people buy into sex.
billy fuckwit.
Geek
billy fuckwit.

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 06:16pm
all companies care about is selling. mostly they search new ways to get it into your mind to buy a product.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
June 15th, 2007 at 06:56pm
Ilse:
Oh, and those advertisements for "Tag" and "Axe" body spray drive me up the wall. It pretty much says "spray this under your pits, and girls will wanna screw ya!"

I can' stand it. Women are almost always portrayed as sluts.

I agree. And it disappoints/disgusts me.
And Tag and Axe both smell very nasty. O_O
I don't understand the whole deal with how using it gets you laid.

I also must point out how not all advertisements are bad.
Without advertising, a lot of buisnesses could not sell their products.
I mean, you wouldn't have some things you have now if it weren't for advertising.

However, it's not all good.
It can be manipulating and decieving.
And also annoying.
I get bugged the most by advertisements on websites.
The ones that go "CLICK TO WIN A FREE iPOD!"
And so on.
They're absolutely worthless.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 02:16pm
Kurtni:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Pretty Like Drugs:
I agree, it isnt needed. But it sells, obviously. They're just using what works, and alot of people buy into sex.
I disagree with it not being needed. It is the foundation of global economics and the obvious reason why people buy stuff. It also creates culture and the false ideas of 'subculture'. It creates rebellion and difference and yes, by exploiting not only sex, but fashion and 'subversive' stylings, as well as creating them.

When Burberry was first introduced, it was a very rare product to find on the market, and very expensive. Because of its price and simplicit style, it became the chique, classy, and sophisticated new look for the 'aristocrats'. A hint of Burberry was sprinkled here and there from a scarf, to a belt. It was a new look to accent any outfit. People who wore the now infamous plaid were then almost part of a little select group of people. It was a privilige and those who had it could exchange knowing glances at each other. It was the 'subversive style' of the high class people.

That, however, wouldn't last. It was soon becoming available to almost everyday people and was made even more popular by a Big Brother contestant who would strut around all day in a Burberry bikini. This was not the advocate that Burberry would have wanted to promote their products, but she did get the job done and now every has a Burberry something in their wardrobe. This forces the higher class to find a new, more sleek and exclusively stylish product to wear.

Of course these waves of styles never last long and this is why advertising plays such a vital role in the economy, because not only does this diffusion of products happen within the fashion industry, but also with art in the 1960's (Here, here Warhol.), music in the late 1700's (The romantic era coincided with the French Revolution), furniture (Since as early as the 1300's), architecture (From the 1850's), and many more aspects in life. If you can buy it, it's most likely been advertisted.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 02:18pm
Jesus Clock!:
The ones that go "CLICK TO WIN A FREE iPOD!"
And so on.
They're absolutely worthless.
That's because those people mixed up 'advertising' and 'annoying'.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 04:15pm
Anji:
I disagree with it not being needed. It is the foundation of global economics and the obvious reason why people buy stuff. It also creates culture and the false ideas of 'subculture'. It creates rebellion and difference and yes, by exploiting not only sex, but fashion and 'subversive' stylings, as well as creating them.

When Burberry was first introduced, it was a very rare product to find on the market, and very expensive. Because of its price and simplicit style, it became the chique, classy, and sophisticated new look for the 'aristocrats'. A hint of Burberry was sprinkled here and there from a scarf, to a belt. It was a new look to accent any outfit. People who wore the now infamous plaid were then almost part of a little select group of people. It was a privilige and those who had it could exchange knowing glances at each other. It was the 'subversive style' of the high class people.

That, however, wouldn't last. It was soon becoming available to almost everyday people and was made even more popular by a Big Brother contestant who would strut around all day in a Burberry bikini. This was not the advocate that Burberry would have wanted to promote their products, but she did get the job done and now every has a Burberry something in their wardrobe. This forces the higher class to find a new, more sleek and exclusively stylish product to wear.

Of course these waves of styles never last long and this is why advertising plays such a vital role in the economy, because not only does this diffusion of products happen within the fashion industry, but also with art in the 1960's (Here, here Warhol.), music in the late 1700's (The romantic era coincided with the French Revolution), furniture (Since as early as the 1300's), architecture (From the 1850's), and many more aspects in life. If you can buy it, it's most likely been advertisted.

That makes it convieniet and efficient; but not needed. You don't need to exploit sexual images to sell products. There are multiple ways to advertise that don't involve exploiting anything. There are tons of companys that don't use that form of advertising that are more than successful.

lmfao you think sexualy oriented advertising is the basis of the global economy? No, not even close. There are so many factors that play into the global economy, thats just a ridiculous statement to make. I can understand thinking its the basis of the advertising industry, but the global economy? Thats quite extreme. Care to elaborate on why you think sexual oriented advertising is the basis of the entire global economy?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:16pm
Kurtni:
That makes it convieniet and efficient; but not needed. You don't need to exploit sexual images to sell products. There are multiple ways to advertise that don't involve exploiting anything. There are tons of companys that don't use that form of advertising that are more than successful.

lmfao you think sexualy oriented advertising is the basis of the global economy? No, not even close. There are so many factors that play into the global economy, thats just a ridiculous statement to make. I can understand thinking its the basis of the advertising industry, but the global economy? Thats quite extreme. Care to elaborate on why you think sexual oriented advertising is the basis of the entire global economy?
I wasn't talking about sexually oriented advertising. I was talking about the business of advertising. All kinds of advertising. Whether it is getting a crowd to support your product, or having a sale, or celebrity endorsement, or through music, displays, logos, symbols, patterns (like Burberry), whatever. It is how people buy things and things get sold. Economics. Take away all advertising and there would be a big depletion in markets. Should people actually buy things from their very own judgement and their experience with products without any outside help, all businesses would have an equal amount of business. But a world like that is almost impossible so advertising is a necessity. Sexual advertising ins't the basis of the global economy, plain old advertising in any way, shape, and form is.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:22pm
Anji:
Kurtni:

I wasn't talking about sexually oriented advertising. I was talking about the business of advertising. All kinds of advertising. Whether it is getting a crowd to support your product, or having a sale, or celebrity endorsement, or through music, displays, logos, symbols, patterns (like Burberry), whatever. It is how people buy things and things get sold. Economics. Take away all advertising and there would be a big depletion in markets. Should people actually buy things from their very own judgement and their experience with products without any outside help, all businesses would have an equal amount of business. But a world like that is almost impossible so advertising is a necessity. Sexual advertising ins't the basis of the global economy, plain old advertising in any way, shape, and form is.

You replied to my post, and we were discussing sexually oriented advertising. We were talking about how we felt that kind of advertising wasn't needed, and you said that you disagreed. If that wasn't what your post was refering to, then you should have said that. Obviously the advertising business is needed, and we never said that it wasn't. I still don't agree that advertising is the basis of the global economy. It plays an important role, but its not everything. If I had to pin point a basis, I'd say world trade. Advertising has affected world trade, but even without it, it would still exist, just look at the past.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:44pm
Kurtni:
You replied to my post, and we were discussing sexually oriented advertising. We were talking about how we felt that kind of advertising wasn't needed, and you said that you disagreed. If that wasn't what your post was refering to, then you should have said that. Obviously the advertising business is needed, and we never said that it wasn't. I still don't agree that advertising is the basis of the global economy. It plays an important role, but its not everything. If I had to pin point a basis, I'd say world trade. Advertising has affected world trade, but even without it, it would still exist, just look at the past.
In that case, I was looking for a place to say all that and couldn't find any other relevent spot other than right after what you said, even though it wasn't relevent.

Could you tell me where in the past to look?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 02:02pm
Anji:
In that case, I was looking for a place to say all that and couldn't find any other relevent spot other than right after what you said, even though it wasn't relevent.

Alrighty, look at times when new lands were discovered. We didnt know what was there, there wasn't any advertising, but we still went out of our need to survive and explore. And we did trade with the people who lived there. They didn't have to advertise their goods, we found out what was there ourselves. From there, the traders may have told people what all they found and you could consider that advertising, but those possessing the goods that were needed didn't need to advertise.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 02:17pm
Kurtni:
Anji:

Alrighty, look at times when new lands were discovered. We didnt know what was there, there wasn't any advertising, but we still went out of our need to survive and explore. And we did trade with the people who lived there. They didn't have to advertise their goods, we found out what was there ourselves. From there, the traders may have told people what all they found and you could consider that advertising, but those possessing the goods that were needed didn't need to advertise.
Thank you, now I remember what I was going to say. In the past that would work because of the lack of mass media and fibre optic cables running under oceans so that by the time Paris Hilton goes back into jail in L.A., I can now know minutes after here in Thailand. But to convert this world into a place without advertising is impossible. Malls would have to be bare white, no windows, no displays. Everything would be bare and desolate, that being said of course it'll be impossible. It's like a 1984 type thing. Even within a uniformity society, bording schools, prisons, mental hospitals there are still trends in fashion and items and accesories. It is a thing of the past, but not the present.

If I had no past experience of a Toyota car, if a salesman didn't tell me a thing about them, and if I had never seen one before, I wouldn't bother paying more for an imported car (Hypothetically speaking of course, since nowadays Toyota factories are pretty much everywhere.) and would instead get stuck with some cheaper Thai model probably. But thank you advertising, I am not.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 02:47pm

I hate the way this commercial depicts women. Thats the kind of unneeded advertising I was talking about earlier. You don't have to make it appear that women are mindless to sell cologne.

That smell of that crap chokes you anyways
Register