Anti-Censorship

AuthorMessage
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
June 30th, 2006 at 08:19am
Tyler:
Though I repsonally don't like it, I can see censoring some things. However, sometimes I just have to think "WTF?" For example, me and some friends were watching Mind of Mencia, and "Faggot" and "Nigger" (which IMO is worse than "fuck" or "shit"Wink were NOT censored, yet a few minuets later fuck WAS censored.

As for album ratings, I feel that they need a REAL rating system, not just slapping "Parental Advisory" on cds. If you think about it, thats comepltely moronic to just mark an album as "explict", there needs to be some explaination, because I've seen albums that contain ridiculous amounts of swearings (such as Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy by Mindless Self Indulgence) marked with PA stickers, yet albums that contain one swaer word (My Chemical Romance's album has this, I think) marked as well.
MCR has three F bombs in their most popular albums
but all of the rating systems need to be abolished and replaced with systems that just tell you the content

think about this:
we don't tell you what's in it
but we tell you how old your kid should be to watch it

not only is that useless becaues parents range hyper-strict to I-don't-even-know-what-time-my-kid-came-home-last-night-and-I-don't-care for probably every five kids but that also takes away a parent's responsibility which they need

and you should still block things because your kids won't stay true when you can't watch them, so there should be IDs for ten year olds and seventeen year olds so they can go to the movies and stuff

and with TVs, the techknowledgy actually makes it available for us to say, "alright, I don't want my kids to watch shows that use crude racially epithets BLOCK all shows with that, no F bombs BLOCK that, BLOCK explicit sexual language ALLOW any violence because that's what I think as a parent is good for my specific child"
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
June 30th, 2006 at 09:17am
Tyler:
Though I repsonally don't like it, I can see censoring some things. However, sometimes I just have to think "WTF?" For example, me and some friends were watching Mind of Mencia, and "Faggot" and "Nigger" (which IMO is worse than "fuck" or "shit"Wink were NOT censored, yet a few minuets later fuck WAS censored.

As for album ratings, I feel that they need a REAL rating system, not just slapping "Parental Advisory" on cds. If you think about it, thats comepltely moronic to just mark an album as "explict", there needs to be some explaination, because I've seen albums that contain ridiculous amounts of swearings (such as Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy by Mindless Self Indulgence) marked with PA stickers, yet albums that contain one swaer word (My Chemical Romance's album has this, I think) marked as well.

Its not just on what has swearing or not, its also on the themes in the album, in My Chemical Romance's case, it has some pretty, iunno how to say it, but a lot of it was about death and revenge, so just because the album doesn't contain swearing doesn't mean it doesn't need the PA sticker.

There are so many albums I could name that don't use a lot of swearing, but I would definatly not want kids to listen to those songs.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
June 30th, 2006 at 10:49am
i have to ask this,

i bough the darkness one way ticket just before Christmas and that had NO pa sticker on it and then i bought A-ha's analouge that had a PA sticker on it and i looked through the words and The Darkness swear a LOT and a-ha however do not, how do they judge what gets stickers and what doesnt.
Kitti
Kitti
June 30th, 2006 at 11:48am
Magne:
i have to ask this,

i bough the darkness one way ticket just before Christmas and that had NO pa sticker on it and then i bought A-ha's analouge that had a PA sticker on it and i looked through the words and The Darkness swear a LOT and a-ha however do not, how do they judge what gets stickers and what doesnt.
Well, it's terribly impractical for them to listen to every album or check all of the lyrics of the albums. Often, advisory stickers go on albums by artists with a history of profanity and adult themes in their music. Frank Zappa released an instrumental album (when he was alive) and it got an advisory label because his music was normally a bit on the profane side.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
June 30th, 2006 at 11:52am
Kitti:
Magne:
i have to ask this,

Well, it's terribly impractical for them to listen to every album or check all of the lyrics of the albums. Often, advisory stickers go on albums by artists with a history of profanity and adult themes in their music. Frank Zappa released an instrumental album (when he was alive) and it got an advisory label because his music was normally a bit on the profane side.

yeah but if anyone listenes to music and knows a-ha they know that they have only had 2 songs that could be considered risky, the darkness are known for they're profound and dirty lyrics.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
June 30th, 2006 at 03:27pm
Magne:
Kitti:
Magne:
i have to ask this,

yeah but if anyone listenes to music and knows a-ha they know that they have only had 2 songs that could be considered risky, the darkness are known for they're profound and dirty lyrics.
yeah, that's what we call, "injustice", that's why it pisses me off
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
July 2nd, 2006 at 01:24pm
Censorship is kind of one of those situations where I'm for both. Because, most people will know what the word means, if they heard it, and for little kids...I guess it's right that they don't hear 'bad words', but in a few years they'll be saying it anyway...
Also, I think once on Friends they changed "You've got your head inside a turkey's ass!" to "You've got your head inside a dead animal". I heard the latter first. I got confused.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 31st, 2006 at 12:22am
I agree that sometimes censorship is stupid. I mean you hear a word on TV,"Oh my god, this s(BEEP)t is f(BEEP)d up. That kind of gives it away. Censorship or no censorship, the kid knows it's a swear word.
LoveMeLudo
Idiot
LoveMeLudo

Mibba
August 28th, 2006 at 02:21pm
censorship sucks. everyone knows whatever is bleeped out. as for little kids......well it's the parents decision to even let the kid listen to it in the first place.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
August 29th, 2006 at 04:27am
some of the stuff they censor is ridiculous. who decides what its okay for us to see anyway?
example: the amount of stuff that is censored in the Jesus of Suburbia video on Kerrang! they might as well just show a black screen, at least that wouldnt give people migraine(sp?)
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
August 31st, 2006 at 01:35pm
Whilst I detect some discussion about stickering:

The PMRC made the "parental advisory" label because Tipper was shocked and awed...or just shocked...by the sexually explicit lyrics on a Prince album. Then they started labeling bands with real violent content, really sexual content ("F-U-C-K Like a Beast"Wink and such.

Now the label is so much bullshit and fluff. Anything that says "fuck" or "shit" more than twice gets slapped. It's completely random. Pisses me off.

Of course, that means that parents have all the more reason to actually do their jobs and hone their parenting skills by having to (gasp) really LISTEN to what their kids are listening to.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
August 31st, 2006 at 03:33pm
dirtyhippie:

The PMRC made the "parental advisory" label because Tipper was shocked and awed...or just shocked...by the sexually explicit lyrics on a Prince album. Then they started labeling bands with real violent content, really sexual content ("F-U-C-K Like a Beast"Wink and such.

Now the label is so much bullshit and fluff. Anything that says "fuck" or "shit" more than twice gets slapped. It's completely random. Pisses me off.

Of course, that means that parents have all the more reason to actually do their jobs and hone their parenting skills by having to (gasp) really LISTEN to what their kids are listening to.
I'm not sure if you noticed, but this generation of parents is still self-indulgant and they act like their still in high school keeping up with their social life
most of them treat their kids like they're just a babysitter as opposed to parents

which is why we need a better rating system
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
September 1st, 2006 at 06:53am
spill_no_sick:
dirtyhippie:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but this generation of parents is still self-indulgant and they act like their still in high school keeping up with their social life
most of them treat their kids like they're just a babysitter as opposed to parents

if there is anything that my children want to watch that is lets say rated 15 i will watch it first and then i will decide if they can watch it, i am quite open minded about what they watch, but i will not let them watch some things, my daughter who is 12 has seen "reservoir dogs and pulp fiction but she has only seen then recently, but saying that i wont let my youngest watch things that are anything over 12, but i do think the film raters should leave most of it down to the perants, we know our children better and we know what will effect them of not effect them.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 2nd, 2006 at 08:42am
Lucifers Angel:

if there is anything that my children want to watch that is lets say rated 15 i will watch it first and then i will decide if they can watch it, i am quite open minded about what they watch, but i will not let them watch some things, my daughter who is 12 has seen "reservoir dogs and pulp fiction but she has only seen then recently, but saying that i wont let my youngest watch things that are anything over 12, but i do think the film raters should leave most of it down to the perants, we know our children better and we know what will effect them of not effect them.

Yes, they should. Any parent who is going to base their iews on a sticker is a moron anyways. They have no clue what the movie/cd (whatever) is like until they experience it.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
September 5th, 2006 at 01:42pm
Lucifers Angel:
spill_no_sick:
dirtyhippie:

Yeah, well Angel, you're just about the only one I've ever come across. Granted I haven't met hundreds of parents. But I know none that listen or watch the stuff that their kids are exposed to. Either they don't know and don't much care or they object to it on principle.

Nick: Hell yes, I've noticed this. My grandparents are worse than my parents in that respect. My dad's side of the family is a mass of social gossipers. Mom's genes are more mellow.
Miss Katy
Jackass
Miss Katy
September 6th, 2006 at 05:59am
anti-christ of suburbia:
some of the stuff they censor is ridiculous. who decides what its okay for us to see anyway?
example: the amount of stuff that is censored in the Jesus of Suburbia video on Kerrang! they might as well just show a black screen, at least that wouldnt give people migraine(sp?)

The edited version of the Jesus Of Suburbia video is ridiculous. For example blurring out the cigarettes?

I find it quite ironic with censorship on music channels that all the R&B videos are allowed to show near naked girls making out. Yet Kerrang can't even show someone smoking a cigarette. Confused
Fashion Zombies!
Jackass
Fashion Zombies!

Mibba Blog
September 6th, 2006 at 08:16am
About a year ago I was in the car listening to the radio with my mum. It was like a count down or something and Hollaback girl came on and it was like "oooh oooh it's my sh*t it's my sh*t" so they bleeped out the I in shit. I thought "Yeah okay it's pretty early kids might be listening" and straight away they played Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Then when they played the bit "Whats fucked up and everything's alright" NO BLEEPING! I mean I'm not really into Gwen Stefani (No doubt rocks though Razz ) And I don't really have a problem with the swearing but it was really early and little kids would have been listening. They bleep out shit but not fuck? I don't know about you guys but I reckon fuck is worse than shit...
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
November 3rd, 2006 at 04:06pm
i hate censorship
no one has to watch our tv or listen to our music
they have a choice
besides i hear worse than anything put on tv or in songs just walking through school.
if they really want to keep us away from stuff like that they should start with our schools
Masterbation lost its fun
Banned
Masterbation lost its fun
November 3rd, 2006 at 10:42pm
do you mean obvious censor ship like on tv shows or new and information censor ship like us not reall y know whats going on because our government basicly controls what we watch well actualy the corperations which have became integrated into the government
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
November 6th, 2006 at 05:24pm
kinda both
i dont think they should keep people from seeing that stuff because one day theyre gonna go into the real world and theyre gonna be exposed to it anyway
Register