ADHD

AuthorMessage
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
November 27th, 2005 at 10:56pm
that sucks how these kids have to take pills. why is there so much of them?
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
November 28th, 2005 at 11:18am
s0dapop_and_ritalin:
that sucks how these kids have to take pills. why is there so much of them?

ADHD has been around for many years what with children getting more and more aggressive and out of control and now the only differance is, is that they have got somthing to call it.
Faith
Addict
Faith
November 29th, 2005 at 04:27pm
Since you people seem to know a lot about it...does ADHD happen in adults? Or more likely - does it stay?
Of course, I know about adult ADD (which I have), but I'm not sure about ADHD...I'm ashamed to not know that after all the psychology courses I took, but I guess it just kinda went past my brain and left for good Embarassed . My husband claims to have ADHD (and it sure looks like he does have it Rolling Eyes ), he's 27, so I'm wondering if that's even possible. I mean, he might have had it in the childhood, but can it last that long?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 29th, 2005 at 04:32pm
I'm no expert on this, but i just asked my Mum Smile (she's only a Nurse, but she saidWink. Although some children outgrow ADHD, about 60% continue to have symptoms into adulthood. The disorder manifests itself differently in adults as hyperactivity tends to diminish. ADHD begins in childhood, and as has only recently been understood, can persist into adulthood as well.
Faith
Addict
Faith
November 29th, 2005 at 04:39pm
bloodraine:
I'm no expert on this, but i just asked my Mum Smile (she's only a Nurse, but she saidWink. Although some children outgrow ADHD, about 60% continue to have symptoms into adulthood. The disorder maifests itself differently in adults as hyperactivity tends to diminish. ADHD begins in childhood, and as has only recently been understood, can persist into adulthood as well.

Does it mean I can still tell my husband to sit down and shut up? Laughing

Thanks! I just love how you do this research for us all the time. You're awesome!! I'm be forever thankful to you for the "fuck" etymology

Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 29th, 2005 at 04:48pm
Yeah...its what i'm good at Laughing
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 29th, 2005 at 07:11pm
Faith:
bloodraine:
I'm no expert on this, but i just asked my Mum Smile (she's only a Nurse, but she saidWink. Although some children outgrow ADHD, about 60% continue to have symptoms into adulthood. The disorder maifests itself differently in adults as hyperactivity tends to diminish. ADHD begins in childhood, and as has only recently been understood, can persist into adulthood as well.

Does it mean I can still tell my husband to sit down and shut up? Laughing

Thanks! I just love how you do this research for us all the time. You're awesome!! I'm be forever thankful to you for the "fuck" etymology

lol yes you can tell your husband to sit down and shut up because adults can have ADHD in fact i live with an adult with the disorder aswell as 2 children, and trust me at times it is chaos in my house.
jaminben89
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
jaminben89
November 29th, 2005 at 07:41pm
YEA MAN I LOVE ADHD IT ROCKS ITS SEEMS LIKE UR THE ENERGIZER BUNNY AND THAT NEW MOUTAIN DEW EXTREME ROCKS
Jimmy's Kid
Idiot
Jimmy's Kid
November 29th, 2005 at 08:48pm
i'm not an expert on this (obviously) but i think that ADHD is over-treated. I know a couple of people that are on meds, and all it's done is screw them up more. Before they were a bit strange and quite energetic, now....they're depressed a lot and they're not energetic at all, and frankly not that fun to be around. I guess that there are people that really need the meds but i've just never actually met anyone who seemed to need to be on them. It was actually suggested that i go on meds for ADD at one time, but that was rediculous. If i really want to i can focus in on a subject for a while, it's just that i dont find subjects such as Shakespear exactly riviting, if you catch my drift. I still cant believe that they wanted to put me on meds! they did a little test thing and were like, "well, we think you could." please....
So i would say dont get meds for ADD or ADHD unless your absolutely sure that they're required. Hold off on getting them for a month or so at least, it makes me so sad thinking about the people I know that are so dead to the world now just because some doctor told them meds were a good idea. Still, if it seem like you just cant function in modern society without something, then strongly consider it. Even then, though, i would be hesistant about taking something for it.
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
November 29th, 2005 at 09:47pm
Faith:
Since you people seem to know a lot about it...does ADHD happen in adults? Or more likely - does it stay?
Of course, I know about adult ADD (which I have), but I'm not sure about ADHD...I'm ashamed to not know that after all the psychology courses I took, but I guess it just kinda went past my brain and left for good Embarassed . My husband claims to have ADHD (and it sure looks like he does have it Rolling Eyes ), he's 27, so I'm wondering if that's even possible. I mean, he might have had it in the childhood, but can it last that long?

i know someone that is 21 and has ADD.
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
November 29th, 2005 at 09:49pm
Jimmy's Kid:
i'm not an expert on this (obviously) but i think that ADHD is over-treated. I know a couple of people that are on meds, and all it's done is screw them up more. Before they were a bit strange and quite energetic, now....they're depressed a lot and they're not energetic at all, and frankly not that fun to be around. I guess that there are people that really need the meds but i've just never actually met anyone who seemed to need to be on them. It was actually suggested that i go on meds for ADD at one time, but that was rediculous. If i really want to i can focus in on a subject for a while, it's just that i dont find subjects such as Shakespear exactly riviting, if you catch my drift. I still cant believe that they wanted to put me on meds! they did a little test thing and were like, "well, we think you could." please....
So i would say dont get meds for ADD or ADHD unless your absolutely sure that they're required. Hold off on getting them for a month or so at least, it makes me so sad thinking about the people I know that are so dead to the world now just because some doctor told them meds were a good idea. Still, if it seem like you just cant function in modern society without something, then strongly consider it. Even then, though, i would be hesistant about taking something for it.

ya i watched a show once on the consequences of the meds. how they make you depressed and stuff. i dunno wat i wud do if i had a kid with adhd. i would be really reluctant to give them the meds.
Spirit Of '77
Falling In Love With The Board
Spirit Of '77
November 29th, 2005 at 09:59pm
i dont believe in shit like this.
s0dapop_and_ritalin
Geek
s0dapop_and_ritalin
November 29th, 2005 at 10:04pm
Spirit Of '77:

in adhd and add?
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 30th, 2005 at 04:58am
Jimmy's Kid:

i have 2 kids on the medication and they are happy all the time and they are never lethargic and they are great to be about when they are on the meds, if they didnt have it they would be running into the roads trieing to kill get themselfs run over and they wouldnt be able to cope with the school day.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 30th, 2005 at 04:59am
Spirit Of '77:

ADHD and ADD are recognised disorders.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 30th, 2005 at 12:11pm
Spirit Of '77:

Are you reffering to the medication or the diseases themselves?. I appreciate some people are very suspicious of modern medicine and only beleive in homeopathic treatemts and such like.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 30th, 2005 at 12:16pm
bloodraine:
Spirit Of '77:

Are you reffering to the medication or the diseases themselves?. I appreciate some people are very suspicious of modern medicine and only beleive in homeopathic treatemts and such like.

It's NOT a disease!! It is a disorder!! Calling it a disease makes people think they can catch it from the people who have these disorders. The only thing my kids have that it catching is they're lust for life and happiness.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 30th, 2005 at 12:19pm
Dictionary defenition of disease; A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

Nobody said anything about the contagion of ADHD/ADD. A fair few diseases are not even contagious anyway.

While i'm at it, lets have the definition of disorder; An ailment that affects the function of mind or body. I'm probably missing something here, but i struggle to see the difference.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 30th, 2005 at 12:30pm
bloodraine:
Dictionary defenition of disease; A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

Nobody said anything about the contagion of ADHD/ADD. A fair few diseases are not even contagious anyway.

While i'm at it, lets have the definition of disorder; An ailment that affects the function of mind or body. I'm probably missing something here, but i struggle to see the difference.

my sons phycoligist (i know thats not spelt right) said that it is not a disease and that is good enough for me, while i would prefer to listen to some one who has studied the DISORDER for a few years than a dictionary!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 30th, 2005 at 12:36pm
Well, go with the more attractive linguistics if you must, i know how touchy people get about their medical conditions and how important it is for their confidence. So you go with your disorder and i'll stick with my disease. Agreed?

Another thing, will people please stop assuming that all diseases are contagious?
Register