Is today's world getting too violent?

AuthorMessage
Valentine
Jackass
Valentine
November 15th, 2005 at 12:42pm
basically, two guys were shot half a mile from my house the other day. You might have heard about it if you live in Dublin, the Carrigwood shootings. And then a while ago a friend of mine from a few years back was sent to jail a few months ago for killing someone in Liffey valley shopping centre. Dubliners will also remember that one.

My point is its not very safe these days now is it? I lvie in a rough place in Tallaght, Dublin so I'm used to this stuff, but when my cousin came to stay last week, she was terrified to go outside because of all the gangs around here.

Plus she was also shocked to find out that I have a pellet(Or BB) gun under my pillow.

So do you think it's too violent these days?
GreenDayIsBetter
Idiot
GreenDayIsBetter
November 15th, 2005 at 12:43pm
incredibly violent.. this one 18 year old guy killed his girlfriends parents for yelling at them for coming home too late (2am)
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 15th, 2005 at 12:53pm
Yes, it is violent. But i did see a quote in someones sig recently (by Marilyn Manson) that said "Times have not gotten more violent. They have simply gotten more televised..." or words to that effect.
I agree with this statement. Hundreds of years ago, out ancestors were burning pagans at the stake, crucifying men on crosses and using all kinds of torture devices such as racks and whips to kill or hurt people with.
Yet now we have 24 hour news broadcasts and the media displaying pictures that inform us of these atrocities.
11th Street Kid
King For A Couple Of Days
11th Street Kid
November 15th, 2005 at 01:54pm
Hmmmm...yes, it's very violent. I don't know too much about it because I live in Bournemouth. I used to live in London and it was pretty rough there but I don't remember much because I was really little then. A guy came up behind me with a crow bar...I don't know why, but I didn't care at all. My brother was scared shitless.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
November 15th, 2005 at 03:14pm
bloodraine:
Yes, it is violent. But i did see a quote in someones sig recently (by Marilyn Manson) that said "Times have not gotten more violent. They have simply gotten more televised..." or words to that effect.
I agree with this statement. Hundreds of years ago, out ancestors were burning pagans at the stake, crucifying men on crosses and using all kinds of torture devices such as racks and whips to kill or hurt people with.
Yet now we have 24 hour news broadcasts and the media displaying pictures that inform us of these atrocities.

That is SO true!!
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
November 15th, 2005 at 04:28pm
I'll take credit for the sig...found the quote in a book on music censorship: "Parental Advisory" by Eric Nuzum. Fuckin' fantastic book. Every music fan should read it.

I'm not a big Marilyn Manson fan at all, but he's a highly intelligent humsn being. I saw him in "Bowling for Columbine" and he can expound his view of the world with such intelligence and thoughtfulness...it's his kind of mind that's missing from the world today.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
November 15th, 2005 at 04:32pm
hell yeah ..... a little too much some guy just got shot in the chest a few days ago in a town near Boston.....apparently the knew him......
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 15th, 2005 at 04:37pm
dirtyhippie:
I'll take credit for the sig...found the quote in a book on music censorship: "Parental Advisory" by Eric Nuzum. Fuckin' fantastic book. Every music fan should read it.

I'm not a big Marilyn Manson fan at all, but he's a highly intelligent humsn being. I saw him in "Bowling for Columbine" and he can expound his view of the world with such intelligence and thoughtfulness...it's his kind of mind that's missing from the world today.

Yeah...i'm sorry for stealing it from you. But i was trying to express myself and it just seemed to sum up my thoughts on the subject quite well without me having to write pages and pages of stuff.
Beetlebum
Geek
Beetlebum
November 15th, 2005 at 05:01pm
A guy got shot on my estate last year, so I wouldn't say this world is that safe if people get killed so close.
Faith
Addict
Faith
November 15th, 2005 at 05:21pm
bloodraine:

Yup, you are absolutely right. It's all the same shit as centuries ago - only now we know about it.
The Duck's Nuts
The Duck's Nuts
November 16th, 2005 at 12:12am
yes, today's world is violent. but the word has always been violent. at least murdering people for the amusement of the people is not around today.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
November 16th, 2005 at 12:14am
I think it was worse back then. Killing witches, african americans, jews and other people. At least most of that has stopped. I feel Im wrong but, just an example.
The Duck's Nuts
The Duck's Nuts
November 16th, 2005 at 12:33am
yep.

They used to kill Christians too, and crucifty people, feed them to lions.
Just like as if
Jackass
Just like as if
November 16th, 2005 at 10:24am
It has always been violent and always will be. It's not too violent yet, it can get a lot worse than this.

I don't like how people criticize media as if it was something they can't affect on. People create and are the media, not some distant thing. "Media" seems to be a fair enough excuse for everything.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 16th, 2005 at 10:59am
I wasnt trying to blame the media. In effect the media is the 'messenger', if you will. Not the cause of the violence itself.
Ilse
Ilse
November 16th, 2005 at 08:28pm
No shit!

All this shit on TV like "Nip-Tuck", "The Sopranos", and pretty much any "hardcore" rap video. Even some reality shows are LOADED with violence.

I was flipping through channels yesterday and I stopped on VH1, what did I see? I saw some guy on a stetcher with a BULLET in his head.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
November 17th, 2005 at 01:30pm
i live in a quite town in Lancashire and two guys were shot dead in they're house just a week ago and that was about half mile from my house, so yes i think the world is getting too violent.
Snow White
Geek
Snow White
November 17th, 2005 at 01:49pm
I live in a rather good neighbourhood and so I haven't experienced any violence around me yet really. Nobody has a gun here and nobody fights or anything, but I know that's probably a bit exceptional. I agree with what others have said about the media though. I don't think there's loads more violence nowadays than before, people are just better informed about the goings-on in the world than ever before. I don't believe the media incite violence, I just think it informs people about it, which is something that didn't happen in the past.
Faith
Addict
Faith
November 17th, 2005 at 03:46pm
September_has_Ended:
No shit!

All this shit on TV like "Nip-Tuck", "The Sopranos", and pretty much any "hardcore" rap video. Even some reality shows are LOADED with violence.

I was flipping through channels yesterday and I stopped on VH1, what did I see? I saw some guy on a stetcher with a BULLET in his head.

As your avatar says "Do us all a favor and go shoot yourself"...

Anyways, the point was not that the media is causing violence. It's just telling us what's going on in the world, and the shows portray the real world, so it's all the same thing.

And don't touch "The Sopranos" - I'll shoot your brain out and feed your remains to the neighbor's dog! (just kidding)
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
November 18th, 2005 at 07:13pm
I don't think we're at all more violent
I think we're the opposite and it's bad
we've become so....hippie these days
have you ever witnessed a fight in school where it lasted more than a minute before a teacher broke it up?
back in the seventies it was common to be in class and hear a cherry bomb blow up the toilet
last year five kids at my school were expelled because they had two bottle rockets....the little week ones; I've held the same brand in my hand and it hardly hurt at all

I think this causes major false insecurity when kids grow up, it takes a major toll on numbness, so they'll never be ready for true violence

bullies and fighting is a part of life everyone should learn because it will never go away

on the other hand: I think the the right to bare arms needs revision
it was written in the times of muskets, now we have guns that don't take three minutes to load
but the guns aren't even a major problem, I think we are in the most tame era of all man kind actually

I'm really into psycology, and I know that this lack of (mild, neccesarry for development, and cronic) violence is actually neccesary for normal emotional security/lack of

we live in a very hippie society where the ideals are logical but impossible, stupid, only sound good, and are very dangerous if executed

please look at both sides and notice: how could you move to a new place and feel secure if you know you've never encountered phisical conflict?
how would you feel if you know your strengths and weeknesses, and learned how to work out of any conflict no matter if it takes physical force?

our society will eventually rob us of everything that makes us human so that we're perfect with an empty hole, yearning for that humanity back, and one day, we'll never be able to uncover it again and we'll have to synthesize it all, and we will rip the fabric of life and humanity, a rip unable to repair unless we start with a new sheet of fabric

and why?
because we are afraid of the short tearm bloody nose
we are pussy enough and selfish enough to make a law putting a man behind bars for life if he beats up a guy for his race

think about your responses to everything before you say them, no matter how good they sound, there is always another side to the story that no one has thought of yet
and this lack of thinking will be our own undoing
Register