24 Hour Drinking

AuthorMessage
_rehabreject_
King For A Couple Of Days
_rehabreject_
November 23rd, 2005 at 12:40pm
The government have just got a new law thing that says pubs can stay open for twenty four hours serving alcohol...
And yet they keep going on about cutting down all the binge drinking in Britain.
I know not all pubs will choose to stay open for 24 hours, but some will. Surely this will just increase the drinking?

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a backwards step? [Sorry if this isn't real discussion]
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 23rd, 2005 at 12:51pm
I think it is a major backwards step. Some say that 24 hour drinking will ensure that people dont go out and drink thmselves senseless before closing time, but there will always be people who cant handle their drink and the system will just encourage them to drink more. And no matter what the landlords or anyone else says, 24 hour drinking will mean more alcohol is consumed. So the rates for liver and heart diseases will go through the roof. As if the NHS didn't have a billion and one other things to spend money on.

Or maybe its just the fact that the four pubs and one nightclub down the road from my house are all opting for later closing and that means no sleep for me tonight. Or any other night for that matter.
spam
Jackass
spam
November 23rd, 2005 at 02:05pm
surely longer opening hours = drunker people
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
November 23rd, 2005 at 02:08pm
This will probably result in more vandalism etc. Then the government will start moaning about it all. GAH! We're going round in circles!
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 23rd, 2005 at 02:46pm
Thats really bad. its guna encourage alcoholics. I f anything the pubs should close earlier.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
November 23rd, 2005 at 03:58pm
Fade2Black:
Thats really bad. its guna encourage alcoholics. I f anything the pubs should close earlier.
Yeah but then there'd most likely be riots.
_rehabreject_
_rehabreject_
November 23rd, 2005 at 04:00pm
I think that actually, the government's being quite hypocritical. I mean, what's the point? They want us to cut down on drinking, so they open the pubs for longer.... It doesn't make sense.
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
November 23rd, 2005 at 05:09pm
yeah, theyre making things worse...it means there is going to be more drinking...then theyre gunna moan about too much drinking and its there fault, its like going round in a political circle, and really, does a pub need to be open 4 24 hours? honestly...
Franny.
Franny.
November 24th, 2005 at 01:46am
the government just wants to make more money off the booze. they wanna cut down the drinking? bullshit. by allowing the pubs to open 24 hours, it's obvious enough they don't care about the people with drinking problems, they just want to make money off the drinkers.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 24th, 2005 at 05:12am
i think that it is a good idea because, last orders are called at 10:40 and many people will drink has much has they can in those 10 mins, also 50% of the pubs/clubs that have applied for longer drinking hours are in London, it also give landlords and landladies the option of opening longer at weekends if they wish tto do so, they have longer drinking hours on the continent and they dont have many problems with binge drinkers so perhaps if we could change the mentallity of people who go out and drink at weekends so that they know there's no point in going out and drinking has quickly has they can and has much has they can perhaps then we will see a chnage in our culture. As the law stands at the moment we have to apply to the courts and the police if we want a bar extention after 11:00 and i think that, that should be left up to the ladnlord/landladie to decide and not anyone else, so over all i think its a VERY good idea, i heard on the news this morning that most pubs and clubs will only open an hour or 2 more at weekends. Also for all those who say what about people gathering in the street at the end of the night, if they are open longer pubs/clubs wouldnt have to kick people out at the same time so we wont have any of this groups of drunks gathering in the streets, of course we'll always have the odd twit who will cause a fight but you get that everywhere.
mikeluvva
Geek
mikeluvva
November 24th, 2005 at 10:19am
my mum and step-dad went to the pub at 3 in the morning and it was nearly empty and the bartender said that it had been since about 1.30 so not that many people want to go to the pub late at night.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 24th, 2005 at 10:58am
people will either go out later or go out earlier and they will realise that there is plenty of time to drink themselves silly if that is what they want to do, i think longer opening hours at weekends is a great idea and it is about time we had more freedom in this country.
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
November 24th, 2005 at 12:35pm
i think they are kind of contradicting themselves there.

they say they want to cut it down, but they are keeping pubs open. that makes no sense. well, yeah it does, but still.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 24th, 2005 at 01:18pm
it will eventually cut down on binge drinking because people will realise that there is plenty of time. And pubs had to apply for a bar extension before the new law and i think it'll be great for all the little pubs.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 24th, 2005 at 01:24pm
But not great for the residents who live near these places who have drunken peple pouring out at all times of the night. Yeah, i know i'm biased and sleep isnt really that important anyway so i'll stop being selfish.

Binge drinking may stop but overall the more alcohol consumed means more damage done to livers, kidneys and other organs. We are already seen as a nation of drinkers, and this is unlikely to get any better.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 24th, 2005 at 01:32pm
bloodraine:
But not great for the residents who live near these places who have drunken peple pouring out at all times of the night. Yeah, i know i'm biased and sleep isnt really that important anyway so i'll stop being selfish.

Binge drinking may stop but overall the more alcohol consumed means more damage done to livers, kidneys and other organs. We are already seen as a nation of drinkers, and this is unlikely to get any better.

dont they have drinkers pouring out of the pubs at the minute. I live over the road from a very buisy pub and there is hardly any noise coming from that, and that is in the centre of Blackpool we have just had the summer season and we didnt have any problems.

and anyway once the novalitie wears of they wont be leaving the pub at all times of the day and night. Only a few of the pubs that have applied for the longer drinking hours are going to use it, and the others are only going to open an hour or 2 longer at weekends. What is wrong with and extra couple of hours on a friday or saturday night.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 24th, 2005 at 01:43pm
I dont particularly mind the drunk people, they're actually quite amusing. Really its isnt just a couple of extra hours, its '24 hour drinking' as the title would suggest.

But lets not focus too much on that. I'm much more concerned on the effects this will have on people's health, surely a more important issue
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 24th, 2005 at 01:48pm
well yeah i can see that point but surley people should have the freedom to choose?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
November 24th, 2005 at 01:55pm
Of course they do have the freedom to choose. I'm merely trying to point out the effects 24 hour drinking will have on everyone concerned. I think that this is the case where the negatives outweight the positives and if people want a beer at three o'Clock in the morning then why on earth not drink at home?. The demand surely cant be that great for round the clock opening.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
November 24th, 2005 at 02:00pm
you'll be surprised in my old town where i used to live they would gratefully welcome it, because they had to shut at 11 and that is way to early.
Register