Political music

AuthorMessage
Less Than Jack
Falling In Love With The Board
Less Than Jack
December 3rd, 2005 at 01:00am
I think against me! has some good political music...and their from gainesville...so that means their good.

I"m not really that into politics Cool Alot of kids just seem to go with what their parents think....that is until they get older...i think mike dirnt said that in a rolling stone interview..talking about how he wanted jimmy carter to win, and when he got older he thought "WTF WAS I THINKING"....not sure if that has to do with anything but..i dunno..

I'm not that into politics...but..i dont know what i'm trying to say exactly so i'll stop now...
Raaachel.
Addict
Raaachel.
December 3rd, 2005 at 06:41am
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mike's Demonic Daunter
Mike's Demonic Daunter
December 3rd, 2005 at 09:43am
Half-Way Haunted:
Damn Tre's ass is FAT.:
I think it's stupid.

all it really did was get some 5th and 6th graders think they know everything and make them look stupid by prancing around like little pansies thinking bush sucks when they dont know a damned thing.

You mean all political music, or just the way AI's been publisiZed?
kind of all political music. because it's not really doing anything except for what i already stated. And yes, it does include AI.

people think they listened to one song and know what they are talking about when they are just stupid and prudent.

I think some artists think that if they make a political song, then it's going to change the world. it does. it makes half the world hate them and half the world turns into smartasses.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 3rd, 2005 at 04:11pm
[QUOTE="Damn Trethey do it because the records sell
Fely
Basket Case
Fely
December 3rd, 2005 at 06:02pm
spill_no_sick:
oh but he's such an idiot for piloting planes into the World Trade Center and starting a war because his drunk redneck rich buddies and family asked him Rolling Eyes
are you saying that he did it to his own country?
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 3rd, 2005 at 07:38pm
Swallow_My_Pride:
spill_no_sick:
oh but he's such an idiot for piloting planes into the World Trade Center and starting a war because his drunk redneck rich buddies and family asked him Rolling Eyes
are you saying that he did it to his own country?

sarcasm
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 3rd, 2005 at 08:20pm
Half-Way Haunted:
bloodraine:
Well, for every 1,000 'OmGZ!!111one BuSh SUxS!!!!' kids, there are always going to be a few who go on to become genuinely interesed in politics. And that can only be a good thing.

Magazines are only hyping up American Idiot, because its more recent and up-to-date than the ohter albums/artists mentioned, and seeing as Green Day are the 'in' thing at the moment, it will sell them more issues.

Actually, I'll have to disagree with you there. Albums such as MeZmeriZe and HynotiZe (both by System of a Down- oh and I apologise for the capital 'Z's- my keyboard's fucked) both came out this year- they're very strongly political. More so than American Idiot. though you have a point, Green Day is one of the biggest bands in the world right now.
I think the reason Green Day is being so hyped up is because it's so much more media friendly, not because it's more recent.
Still, it comes down to the same thing.

I haven't heard Mezmerize/Hypnotize yet, but I read the lyrics, and I kinda think they were better before. Of course, they are more political than AI, even though SOAD claim to be "not a political band".

But anyway, I think the reason AI is so hyped up is not just because it's political but because of it's other qualities. You know, there's a shitload of political albums out there but they're not very good music and have nothing interesting about them other than being political. To become worthy of attention an album should be more than just political.
I don't know how many people started hating Bush because of the album, but I think you're underestimating the level of intelligence of the listeners. Some people really become interested in what's going on and that's a good thing. Some people become interested in politics because of GD, some become interested in GD because of politics.
You can't expect people who have just started finding out about the existance of politics to know everything right away. Of course, at first they will only know the basics. It takes time to figure everything out.
GangControl
Jackass
GangControl
December 4th, 2005 at 12:25pm
I have a penchant for music with issues that are... politically minded. This is because its so motivating, interesting and valuable to get other peoples views on the world. However, that doesn't mean i take them in and preach about police violence, or act like i'm communist.

Its important to understand different perspectives so you can form your own.

"Political" music opens up new doors for people, and if you're views are similiar to those of the musicians then it gives you oppurtunities to fight for those views that you previously may have felt you couldn't.

Green Day are so hugely popular, and were before American Idiot that i think it was shocking and, forgive me, contraversial for a band like them to make music that slightly differed from what they usually made. Lets face it, they weren't exactly "underground edgy punk-rockers". It was musically a good album from a big so it became popular, and the controversy put a spin on things, despite how poor the message was. They're such a fundamental part of the media that people are effectively brain-washed by these individuals views. It happens.

Despite what i said though, message isn't the most important thing. The music is. What i listen to has completely the right balance, and it gives me a natural high.

People just need to be able to access whats right for them.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 4th, 2005 at 05:02pm
A surge of support for politics after a political album is nothing new, just look at some John Lennon supporters.
You'll_Rebel_To_Anything
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
You'll_Rebel_To_Anything
May 13th, 2006 at 06:18pm
If you can write a good song with political undertones, GOOD FOR YOU. if the whole song is "Bush sucks, man" you're just getting lazy. A crappy song with a political message is till just a CRAPPY SONG.
steady riot.
King For A Couple Of Days
steady riot.
May 13th, 2006 at 10:02pm
Anti-Flag is probably one of the most political bands out there. And I don't see Green Day's AI album very "political." I mean, anyone can say "Fuck America," or state that war is bad, or that Bush is an idiot. Anyone can, and dozens of people have previously before the whole "AI world domination."
Anti-Flag are actually trying to spread a message, and have been trying for many years. It amazes me that Green Day gets pinned as Political, and that they're spreading a political message, which, they're not, or not an effective one anyway.
I mean, they don't really stand for much. Don't get me wrong, I love Green Day, but, I just do not see this albulm as political, and see it making a difference in how people think of politics. Sure, they got alot of 6th graders to "like politics" and "hate bush", but they have no idea what they're even saying.
Anti-Flag actually speak of how the world is so fucked up. In their song "One Trillion Dollars" it speaks of how one trillion dollars was spent, and that the US spent half of that themselves, on weapons instead of hospitals, schooling, and money for the less fortunate.
Sick, insn't it?
But yes, sorry for writing so much, it just annoys me that people pin Green Day as political, and Anti-Flag have gotten reconition for nothing, despite if they're "an underground punk band."
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
May 13th, 2006 at 10:07pm
I think it's pretty stupid. All these kids who are saying they hate Bush so much should know what they're talking about before they say it. I'm not a huge Bush fan, but I don't hate him. He's better than some presidents we've had, like Bill Clinton, and I'm tired of everyone blaming him or any other president for everything that goes wrong in the United States. I mean, give the guy a break. It's this huge trend now to hate Bush and it's annoying because half the people have no reason to, but it will fade eventually.
steady riot.
steady riot.
May 13th, 2006 at 10:10pm
ixlovexbilliexjoe:
I think it's pretty stupid. All these kids who are saying they hate Bush so much should know what they're talking about before they say it. I'm not a huge Bush fan, but I don't hate him. He's better than some presidents we've had, like Bill Clinton, and I'm tired of everyone blaming him or any other president for everything that goes wrong in the United States. I mean, give the guy a break. It's this huge trend now to hate Bush and it's annoying because half the people have no reason to, but it will fade eventually.

I disagree with some of that. It is a bit of a trend, but people will always hate Bush. He has done alot of stupid things, and makes very dumb decisions.
Hell, I don't even live in the USA, and I cannot stand him.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
May 13th, 2006 at 11:28pm
I hated Bush before I heard American Idiot.

I think political music is a good thing. Even if you have your stupid idiots who hate Bush because it's cool.

If just one person gets into politics because of it ... every vote counts.

Or ... well, let's just go with every vote counts.
Babi Kid Rachy
Babi Kid Rachy
May 14th, 2006 at 07:53am
I aint into Polictic music nomore.
Its pathetic now, if you hate Bush..yes get your message across but i think it has gone over the top now.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
May 14th, 2006 at 07:54am
Dammit this thread is retro lmfao
Back in the day when I was 'bloodraine' and Faith used to type in bold all the time.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
May 14th, 2006 at 02:14pm
no, lots of green day fans, yes. because, sadly, most green day fans tend to be the sort to just follow their favorite band around like deciples. but anti-flag, the unseen, and bands like that have been playing political music for over a decade, and DK since the 80's, etc. even back in the 60's there was political music. people are just noticing it more now because bigger bands (like green day) got a TINY bit political and bands like anti-flag and the unseen are getting bigger.
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
May 14th, 2006 at 03:23pm
I think, it is now cool to write politically-influenced music. I mean, a lot of songs nowadays have hidden meanings, or meanings that can be interpreted to have a political meaning.
But, what can ya do? It's not the end of the world, I suppose.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
May 15th, 2006 at 02:14pm
rage against the machine were the most political band ever. they stood naked with "PRMC" on their chests and tape accross their mouths. political? yes. politics has been in music for a very very long time. you could say slayer's angel of death is political as it is about the head of a death camp. old system of a down is indeed political. if anything, green day jumped on the bandwagon of older political acts as much as these newer bands have.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
May 15th, 2006 at 05:47pm
Trunks <3:
downloadasexual:
rage against the machine were the most political band ever. they stood naked with "PRMC" on their chests and tape accross their mouths. political? yes. politics has been in music for a very very long time. you could say slayer's angel of death is political as it is about the head of a death camp. old system of a down is indeed political. if anything, green day jumped on the bandwagon of older political acts as much as these newer bands have.

what does PRMC stands 4? and i like political msuic. no i like good songs. i like nofx's song murder the government althoguh thats not really political lol
It was misspelled...the name is actually PMRC, standing for "Parents' Music Resource Center." This was a group started by Tipper Gore (wife of Al Gore, vice president who later got shafted in the anus by the GOP). The PMRC held Congressional hearings about obscenity in music. They were the ones who got the "Parental Advisory" sticker set up, despite the angry cries of such musicians as Frank Zappa, who stated "The PMRC proposal is an ill-conceived piece of nonsense which fails to deliver any real benefits to children, infringes the civil liberties of people who are not children and promises to keep the courts busy for years..."

The sticker system has become, in my opinion, worthless. It's slapped on any album that so much as utters "fuck" nowadays. Zappa was right.

The quote is available at many sites, but I got it at: http://s115622334.onlinehome.us/cd/bl/zappabook/trfzb30.htm

Hope this helped. And NOFX also does a political song called "Idiot son of an Asshole," about GW. And "Murder the Government"...yeah, that's political.
Register