Flag desecration

AuthorMessage
Rainbows in the Dark
Idiot
Rainbows in the Dark

Blog
December 13th, 2005 at 07:12pm
I looked through here and I didn't see a topic on this: Flag desecration?
What do you guys think about it?
I feel it has no reason to be outlawed because the freedom of speech and peaceful protest is protected in the first ammendment. Also, it's a piece of cloth, yes it represents something, but when it comes down to it, it is only a piece of cloth. Also, I read this thing fro Rep. Gary Ackerman it was like how do you define flag or desecration? He took a flag napkin and blew his nose in it, is that considered desecration? I think it is a very patriotic thing to do, express your opinion in a peaceful way.
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 13th, 2005 at 07:57pm
I've been thinking about this for a long time..and I'm still thinking. I don't know what my opinion is on it. Honestly, I love our flag, and when people burn it or throw it in the mud - that offends me...But where is the limit to what you can call desecration? Is a flag pensil desecration? Is my avatar desecration? Is wearing a t-shirt with a flag desecration? You're expressing your patriotic feeling, but then again the flag etiquette says you can't have the the flag picture on clothes unless it's uniform that's supposed to have one.

I suppose outlawing it would be a little too much 'cuz after all it's just a picture, and that kind of law could be some sort of a constitutional fetish.
Although, I don't like to see people burn flags on demonstrations saying they do this because they hate their government - the flag is not just about government, it's about the whole nation and it's unity...think of what you burn.
Guitar & Drum
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Guitar & Drum
December 13th, 2005 at 09:06pm
Last year in school there was a disscussion on something similar to this. I think my teacher said, technically it is desecration to have flag shirts, pencils etc. But it is showing patritiotism, so I think it is overlooked.
But also, I don't recall who was on or what show, but someone came onto a talk show wearing,(I believe) an American flag outfit. I beleive they would not show him on the show, but merely show his head or only his voice or something. Was that patriotic or disrespectful?
fancy pants
Post Whore
fancy pants
December 13th, 2005 at 09:16pm
People should be able to burn flags if they want to. It's just a stupid piece of cloth.
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
December 13th, 2005 at 09:33pm
I dont know. I mean I dont like when people "desecrate" our flag but then its just cloth. Although it represents something meaningful >.>
Uh.....if you hate the government move out of America!!!! O_O that is all.
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
December 14th, 2005 at 03:14am
I have no problem with it, in fact I encourage it.
Flags represent your country, and pride for your country.
Those who have pride for their country, have the right to have flags and show them.
Why can't people who oppose the country have the right to destroy the flags?
The reason this is even a discussion is because conservative America is bigoted toward anyone that is not conservative.
This doesn't apply to all conservatives! so don't mistake it for that; there are some that have no problem with flag burning or other 'freedoms' that we 'have'.
That's all I have to say for now. bye
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
December 14th, 2005 at 11:29am
fancy pants:
People should be able to burn flags if they want to. It's just a stupid piece of cloth.
exactly

okay people may try to offend you and why be offended by a burning piece of cloth?
don't let a flag get to you
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 14th, 2005 at 11:33am
Go ahead, set fire to my Country's flag, by all means.

It doesn't really offend me, as I am not overly patriotic, and only slightly proud of my national Identity. Something I find is that Americans are very very patriotic people, for some reason Confused

I can actually see myself setting fire to a flag out of anger, but its more than likely to be my slight case of Pyromania Very Happy
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
December 14th, 2005 at 11:35am
why be proud of your nationality it's not as if anyone can know what its like to have an other nationality
Snow White
Geek
Snow White
December 14th, 2005 at 11:46am
Robot:
I have no problem with it, in fact I encourage it.
Flags represent your country, and pride for your country.
Those who have pride for their country, have the right to have flags and show them.
Why can't people who oppose the country have the right to destroy the flags?

I couldn't agree more with that. What I hold most dear to me, is freedom. If people want to burn flags: let them. Everyone's allowed to express an opinion, as long as your way of expressing doesn't physically damage others.
geekoll
Geek
geekoll
December 14th, 2005 at 02:43pm
I think I would actually feel quite upset if someone burnt the Scottish flag to dust.
Just like as if
Jackass
Just like as if
December 14th, 2005 at 02:56pm
fancy pants:
Exactly.

.__. You always say the things that I've been planning to. Like the Christmas thing. Well, at least you get all the shit, I'm just agreeing. xD
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
December 14th, 2005 at 03:38pm
fancy pants:

Yep...
Dom
Jackass
Dom
December 14th, 2005 at 05:11pm
I dunno what the rules are like for the english or british flag, but i know you can get like union jack boxers and guitars...
Dom
Jackass
Dom
December 14th, 2005 at 05:13pm
Dom:
I dunno what the rules are like for the english or british flag, but i know you can get like union jack boxers and guitars...
saying that, its thought to be politically incorrect to patriotic now as it may offend others, which i thinks just stupid. Like when people had those england flags on there cars during the world cup.
well.durr__hXc™
King For A Couple Of Days
well.durr__hXc™
December 14th, 2005 at 06:36pm
I think its pretty fucking rude. I'm mean, even if you AREN'T patriotic, what the fuck?

Thats a sign of rudeness, and disregardness. Its fucked up.

Its hard to explain, too. Its hard to persuade people to not do it. Because we have that law 'freedom of speech'.

And its not just a piece of cloth. I mean it is, literally, but its the sign for your own country. Why burn it or graffiti it?
Rainbows in the Dark
Idiot
Rainbows in the Dark

Blog
December 14th, 2005 at 07:14pm
Joe Robot:
I think its pretty fucking rude. I'm mean, even if you AREN'T patriotic, what the fuck?

Its hard to explain, too. Its hard to persuade people to not do it. Because we have that law 'freedom of speech'.

And its not just a piece of cloth. I mean it is, literally, but its the sign for your own country. Why burn it or graffiti it?

Why you ask? I don't know about other people but if I ever did it (I haven't yet) it would be out of protest. How many other ways of protest can a teen or anyone for that matter that REALLY get noticed and attention. I don't see why it offends people. It stands for America which is a great country yes, but part of being patriotic is exercising your rights. Being patriotic is about questioning things, trying to change things. Like I consider Michael Moore one of the most patriotic people. By doing that you're not physically hurting anyone so I don't see why people get so upset.
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 14th, 2005 at 07:43pm
The minority!:
why be proud of your nationality it's not as if anyone can know what its like to have an other nationality

You are veeeery wrong there
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 14th, 2005 at 07:54pm
lostresdiosdeverde:
Joe Robot:

Why you ask? I don't know about other people but if I ever did it (I haven't yet) it would be out of protest. How many other ways of protest can a teen or anyone for that matter that REALLY get noticed and attention. I don't see why it offends people. It stands for America which is a great country yes, but part of being patriotic is exercising your rights. Being patriotic is about questioning things, trying to change things. Like I consider Michael Moore one of the most patriotic people. By doing that you're not physically hurting anyone so I don't see why people get so upset.

The problem here, in my opinion, is that people burn flags trying to show that they are against the government - but the flag is not the sign of government, it's a sign of unity and history of a nation. So, by burning the flag you're pretty much saying: "I fucking hate this country and everything related to it". If you're against government - take their pictures and burn them, make voodoo dolls of Bush and publically stab them, or make movies like Moore does. People just don't realize what the flag symbolizes...There's really nothing patriotic about burning national symbols. Rolling Eyes
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 14th, 2005 at 08:14pm
on some tv show, cant remember which, pen and teller did a magic trick where he rolled up the declaration of independence and shoved the american flag inside it then burnt the flag but the paper stayed in tact. and they were performing in the whitehouse. but anyway, that was a magic trick, and they made a big fuss about him burning the flag in the whitehouse. thought it may not even have been burnt. but... i dunno if that counts or not.

okay that entire post was completely pointless.
Register