Home schooling.

AuthorMessage
redgreendayfan
Geek
redgreendayfan

Mibba Blog
May 29th, 2007 at 08:13am
i was home schooled as i was getting bulied at scholl and because of it i lost nearly all my friendds it would get to the point where i would do everything i could to not go and when it was me who got accused of bullying which was totally not true id had enough.
My mum spoke to the head teacher and i was put in the e.l.u early learning centre for people who needed extra help, i still had to pass my old class and the bullies who used to be my frfiends and so they then expected me to go back to my old class, at that point i was taken out of school and taaught maths at home.
This meant i had no friends as the bullies live just up the road from me and my social life wasd gone, i wouldnt talk to many people and that sucked i went out a bit cycling with people which made me happier anyway , urm.... ive now stopped having my maths lessons til september and im at college for taster days to make sure i like it before i go 5 days a week in september and i have a boyfriend from college and im talking to people my own sort of age.
It was the right thing to do (taking me out of school) as i hated it and would of just left anyway probably.
Sorry that was so boring i guess but it did effect my life but it waas the right thing to of done and now im at college i can get it back. so when there isnt a choice yes its the right thing to do i think
Roisin-Marie
King For A Couple Of Days
Roisin-Marie

Blog
May 30th, 2007 at 05:43am
how much does it cost to be home schooled anyways?
i think it would be easier to be home schooled as it wouldnt be so hard to listen to the teacher as they are takling directly to you.one on one.
But there are also bad points like...what social life would you have? id say all or most friends would continue going to school and you would hardly ever get to see them.
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
May 30th, 2007 at 10:01am
I think public schooling is better. No amount of talking to your parents would give you enough people skills to prepare you for the 'real world'. I moved schools a lot when I was young and, although I hated leaving my friends, I became pretty good at making new ones.
But it really depends on the person, I'm sure there are some people for whom home schooling is much better.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
May 30th, 2007 at 12:38pm
I disagree with the fact that in some states you can only home school for religious reasons.

Agree/disagree?
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
May 30th, 2007 at 01:13pm
druscilla; in rags:
I disagree with the fact that in some states you can only home school for religious reasons.

Agree/disagree?
... I'm assuming this means that the schools near them would be teaching a different religion to their own?

In some ways I agree with it because I know that I hate getting told to pray and stuff in school when I don't believe in God so I don't understand why you should have to listen to how someone elses God did this and that and that yours doesn't exsist.

But in another way I think that they should be taught about the religion that isn't their own because I enjoy learning about religious beliefs and it could help the child to become more open minded.
Vanity
Vanity
May 30th, 2007 at 07:17pm
Ro the Hoe:
how much does it cost to be home schooled anyways?
i think it would be easier to be home schooled as it wouldnt be so hard to listen to the teacher as they are takling directly to you.one on one.
But there are also bad points like...what social life would you have? id say all or most friends would continue going to school and you would hardly ever get to see them.

It really depends on the school you're using, and/or which state you're living in (assuming you live in the US). The one I use is free because it is public I believe, even though I take it online at home. But if I wanted to take extra classes, it would cost about $250 a class.

With some schools, they offer field trips and social gatherings with each grade so that kids aren't completely devoid of friends away from the computer. But again, it varies with each school, and whether or not it's your parents teaching you, a private teacher, or an online school.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
May 31st, 2007 at 12:27am
Boobmeister:
druscilla; in rags:

Agree/disagree?
... I'm assuming this means that the schools near them would be teaching a different religion to their own?

In some ways I agree with it because I know that I hate getting told to pray and stuff in school when I don't believe in God so I don't understand why you should have to listen to how someone elses God did this and that and that yours doesn't exsist.

But in another way I think that they should be taught about the religion that isn't their own because I enjoy learning about religious beliefs and it could help the child to become more open minded.

No, it means that if you want to home school your child you have to have a religious reason. My mom would have to convert to Quakerism to home school my sister. My mother is an Atheist. My sister goes to public school
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
May 31st, 2007 at 06:31am
druscilla; in rags:
No, it means that if you want to home school your child you have to have a religious reason. My mom would have to convert to Quakerism to home school my sister. My mother is an Atheist. My sister goes to public school
Oh I see, then no, I don't agree with that either Very Happy
Addison Montgomery.
Falling In Love With The Board
Addison Montgomery.

Mibba Blog
May 31st, 2007 at 06:53am
A girl at our school (I'll call her Joan) came to school for 2 weeks and then was home schooled cause of bullying issues. Our school year's nearly over and Joan's coming back in yr 8.

We're all sticking up for her.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 31st, 2007 at 02:32pm
druscilla; in rags:

Agree/disagree?

If that were true I'd disagree.. but thats not true O_O Whoever told you that was misinformed. Any student with a physical disability has the right to be homeschooled. That isn't a state law; its national. Not only that but certain people qualify for financial benifits to finance tutors. Children with certain learning disabilities can also be homeschool under federal law.

Aside from physical disabilities... anyone can be homeschooled as long as their parents meet the requirements set by the state, and religion isn't one of them. It would be illgeal to discriminate against something like religion. I don't know what state you're from, but I know Missouri has to be one of the most leniant states on homeschool, its ridiculous in some ways.
green- States requiring no notice: No state requirement for parents to initiate any contact.

yellow- States with low regulation: State requires parental notification only.

orange- States with moderate regulation: State requires parents to send notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress.

red- State with high regulation: State requires parents to send notification or achievement test scores and/or professional evaluation, plus other requirements (e.g. curriculum approval by the state, teacher qualification of parents, or home visits by state officials).

They have the right to regulate who teaches you; but not why you choose to not attend public school. it would be the same as attending a private school in some ways. They can't allow private schools to only be established for religious puposes. Some schools don't even require you to document why you want to homeschool your kids. Other states do. Rhode Island and Mass. are the only states that require approval to be issued to parents to homeschool their children, but that still doesnt mean they need a religious reason.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
June 1st, 2007 at 04:43am
IF i had kids, i wouldnt let them be homeschooled, cause kids need to develope social skills and i'm sorry that yours waned. Although for disabled and otherwize ill children, it would be a better option cause then they wouldnt get called names or otherwise abused.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
June 2nd, 2007 at 09:34am
Pigment Stains:
IF i had kids, i wouldnt let them be homeschooled, cause kids need to develope social skills and i'm sorry that yours waned. Although for disabled and otherwize ill children, it would be a better option cause then they wouldnt get called names or otherwise abused.

but "normal" kids get bullied too. and people shouldn't "but you can't prevent an illness" ... you can't prevent kids picking on kids for no reason either. People will find any reason to make fun of you.
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
June 2nd, 2007 at 10:17am
I think it's a cliche, but it's very much about what suits you, and why you want your child homeschooled, or why the child themselves wants to be homeschooled. Personally, I'd like my kids to go to school; friends, learning to deal with things you don't like doing but must, learning respect, social skills etc. Particularly primary school, kids then learn to adjust to being without Mum and Dad and to not fend for themselves, but hold basic conversation away from their parents.
All that said, I myself can't go. But maybe that's part of being 'pro-school'.
I think if a child is ill or bullied, then being taken out of mainstream school is probably the best to ensure their happiness. It's sad when kids don't ever go though. You can't miss what you've never had, but I think socially they must struggle terribly.
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
August 3rd, 2007 at 02:03pm
I was homeschooled for a year, and I'm still kind of homeschooled.

I was quite shy before, but after I'd finnished the course I had no social skills whatsoever...

..However, I wouldn't swap homeschooling for anything. I passed my GCSE's at 13 and yet, when I went into sixth form, I'm not learning anything.

When you're homeschooled you can work at your own pace, whereas in school you have to fit with everyone else.

One thing that was starting up here though, is where there are 1 hour "classes" for all home educated people in your town, say, once every 2 weeks for each subject...so you have a chance to talk to a "real" teacher, discuss your ideas with others and mix with other children without having to go through school.

I think this is an amazing idea, because it eliminates all the negative sides of being homeschooled.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 3rd, 2007 at 06:49pm
I read an article in the learning section of the newspaper the other day about home-schooling. It said that though most home-schooled children may lack some social interations with other people, an equal amount do not, and that children don't just interact with the outside world in school, and that can be done on weekends.

Also, home-schooled children, as you said, can work on their own pace and statistically are brighter than students who attend school. Also, working at home leaves a very flexible schedual for the family and it cuts down on transportation emmisions and cost.

Parents just have to submit annual evaluations of their child's performance and get liscences or whatever from the educational department.

I see more carrots than sticks, generally when is comes to home education.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
August 10th, 2007 at 03:32am
I don't support home-schooling.
I think public schools are better preparation for the real world.
Where you'll have to keep up with everything and work with people you really might not want to work with.
It can be a way of getting away from people who bully you, pick on you, make fun of you, etc.
But... that's what life's all about.
Not everyone is going to love you.
And if you get picked on to a point where you can't even handle it, I'd consider moving to a new school.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 10th, 2007 at 07:09pm
Comic Tragedy:
I think public schools are better preparation for the real world.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 06:16pm
They are better preparation for the 'real world' if you will, but for some children, it isn't necessarily essential to spend a day with other kids their own age to get to grips with the 'real world'. I mean, an hour a day on the internet on message boards will pretty much give them an idea.
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
August 13th, 2007 at 05:32am
Anji:
They are better preparation for the 'real world' if you will, but for some children, it isn't necessarily essential to spend a day with other kids their own age to get to grips with the 'real world'. I mean, an hour a day on the internet on message boards will pretty much give them an idea.

But there's a difference between being around people physically and being on a message board...
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
August 13th, 2007 at 09:00am
Comic Tragedy:
Anji:

But there's a difference between being around people physically and being on a message board...
Just as there's a difference between complete idiots and people you enjoy to be around
Coolio uh...anyway:

I think home schooling is beneficial in the end. Private school, I admit does provide a good education...but most public schools (that I've been to...which is many) almost...hold back kids. A majority of time can be wasted on explinations, or controlling class immaturity and disruptions.
Home schooling allows for someone to apply their own talents and work at their own pace.
As for "social skills" just because one does not attend a school (which can affect someone negatively or positively 50/50) does not mean social skills will be damaged. the "real world" is still around, and one can be a member of clubs, lessons or simply have contact with people outside of home.

Overall I would probably homeschool my children if/when I had/have any. i think it provides a really great work ethic.
Register