DNA issues

AuthorMessage
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
December 22nd, 2005 at 12:43am
Eh. I figured I'd bring this to the table. I'm studying this in Biology right now. Pretty much, the technology we're headed toward today and in the future, you'll be able to alter your children before they're conseived by DNA (the code of life in your cells). They can prevent hereditary diseases on a certain gender's side or what-not, but then there's always the other side which is my side:

I think things should just go however it goes. It doesnt' matter what my kid looks like, how they perform and all, but as long as they're my kid and have my DNA (are actually related to me and not full of random DNA to improve the performance of the child), then it'll be good. Then there's the question that the child may eventually ask in the future, "Why didn't you fix me when you had the chance?" (if something's wrong). How are you supposed to respond to that?

There are so many things that relate to this. I just thought this would be an interesting topic to bring up....
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 22nd, 2005 at 12:58am
Gattaca
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
December 22nd, 2005 at 01:04am
I've heard of that moive. We watched the beginning clip of it in Bio. We're having a test and discussion tomorrow (which we're continueing from today). I want to see that so bad.
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 22nd, 2005 at 02:11am
You really should watch it - it doesn't just show one side of the story, it shows both and just makes you think it all over. It's a great movie.
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 22nd, 2005 at 02:32am
i've seen that. we watched it for english. and you're right, it shows the good, the bad, and the dangerous sides of DNA evolution and such.
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 22nd, 2005 at 03:13am
The only thing that I found wrong in that movie is that they stated that beeing left-handed is a downfall and a perfect human being cannot be left-handed...That's weird, you know, I don't think that's an imperfection - just a variant...

Which makes me think...it's scary if some messed up homophobes go "correcting" people and making all of the next generation straight or something. Not sure if it's possible, but either way, all that shit would take uniqueness away from us, make us all alike. Playing God..
Poison Fish
Idiot
Poison Fish
December 22nd, 2005 at 06:57am
Faith:
The only thing that I found wrong in that movie is that they stated that beeing left-handed is a downfall and a perfect human being cannot be left-handed...That's weird, you know, I don't think that's an imperfection - just a variant...

Which makes me think...it's scary if some messed up homophobes go "correcting" people and making all of the next generation straight or something. Not sure if it's possible, but either way, all that shit would take uniqueness away from us, make us all alike. Playing God..
but that is what they're all like in Gattaca. aside from the invalids, everyone is pretty much the same, but then still, even in the valids, there are still imperfections, like Irenes heart defect. but i would suspect, after a short while, when the system has improved, these imperfections could also be eliminated, making the whole world "perfect". except... Eugene was supposedly perfect, and he came second... which makes me think, if that happened, the results of any competition would be easily predicted and none of it would be a surprise.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
December 22nd, 2005 at 08:11am
would it not just be using hitlers vision of an arian race?
and would we not end up with designer babies?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 22nd, 2005 at 10:47am
auh-buh-cuh-s:
would it not just be using hitlers vision of an arian race?
and would we not end up with designer babies?

The issue of 'Designer Babies' is one of the most improtant things that needs taking into account here. I'm strongly for DNA modification. Imagine how many lives would be improved with the eradication of hereditary diseases. But each case would have to be treated as an individual, and where would the line be drawn?. Once DNA modification is widespread, people are going to want their babies genes corrected for things such as minor defects, hair colour, eye colour, even disorders which can be managed effectively with medication.

Give people an inch and they will want a mile...
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
December 22nd, 2005 at 11:08am
Bloodraine:
The issue of 'Designer Babies' is one of the most improtant things that needs taking into account here. I'm strongly for DNA modification. Imagine how many lives would be improved with the eradication of hereditary diseases. But each case would have to be treated as an individual, and where would the line be drawn?. Once DNA modification is widespread, people are going to want their babies genes corrected for things such as minor defects, hair colour, eye colour, even disorders which can be managed effectively with medication.

Give people an inch and they will want a mile...

i believe that designer babies would lead to an arian race. people would see things as "right" or "wrong" and there would be no different. also, anyone who was born with a defect would be cast away by the society that created them.
franzi
Falling In Love With The Board
franzi
December 22nd, 2005 at 01:31pm
man that is strange.
its kinda fucked in a way
everyone will look 'perfect'
Confused im not sure if it would be good or not. sure i mean it could fix stuff like down syndrome and other things like that im guessing

but appearence wise? i think they have to draw the line some where...
I.Heart.Panic.
I.Heart.Panic.
December 22nd, 2005 at 04:55pm
But what is "perfect"?
I mean sure, people have their idea of perfect. You know? You ask someone what "perfect" looks like, they say perfect blonde hair, big perfect blue eyes, perfect straight white teeth, thin and a bubbling sparkling personality.
But not everyone thinks the same, do they?
Exactly.
I wouldn't alter my kids' DNAs. I'd be scared that if my kid got something wrong with them - not like a disability, I mean like a life-threatening disease or something - that it would be my fault.
But if my thirteen-year-old son or daughter who's, I don't know, got a disability or something, asks me why I didn't change them when I had the chance, I don't know what I'd say. I'd tell them I love them no matter what, but then they'll know that they could've been different. But they're not. And it'd be my fault, technically.
So I don't know. I wouldn't do it, no, but . . .
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 22nd, 2005 at 08:59pm
this is important, but your argument SUCKED!
it's meant to fix the child from schizophrenia, epilepsy, and manic depression
stuff like that....not to fix the child from ugly...damn, you sound like Paris Hilton (I'm not mad at you and I'm not making fun of you; just clarifying and making a cheap joke

I think the more peopel play God the worse they'll make the world
I think that part of life are these dissapointments.....if you could have a perfect world, would you? (and don't say "no because it would be boring" 'perfect' means not boring

we should quit the inovations that make life less fun
that's why I hate almost everything associated with phones
I hate cell phones, I hate advanced phones, I hate everythign with caller ID
everything like this destroys teh cycle of life, and that will destroy the fabric of life, and everything that makes life worth living

all this shit to do with DNA should be left alone, there's no major need to do it
do you think that all these diseases are really that bad?
do you want to be sane your whole life? or would you rather grow up and have Alzheimers?
I think that this is all just part of life, so don't take it away

(other than that: I LOVE DNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1134
Faith
Addict
Faith
December 22nd, 2005 at 09:24pm
I want a perfect world - a world that would be perfect for me. But that world wouldn't be perfect for anyone else. Hence, the perfect world is impossible.

You're right, the ability to fix children before they are born is supposed to prevent schizophrenia, epilepsy and all that fun stuff. But the trick is - after we're done with that, we WILL do design babies and make them beautiful and all that. And then we'll carry it further and further to the point of rediculous.

I'd rather be me than be sane all my life. Our deseases and illnesses make us who we are. Of course, it's great that it's possible to save a child that's born with only half of a heart, thanks to having diagnosed that during pregnancy. But deciding what the child is gonna be like before he's even born is different. I think parents go far enough in deciding what life their kid is gonna live without the DNA miracles.
Ilse
Ilse
December 22nd, 2005 at 09:29pm
I would do it if I had a history of cancer, high blood pressure, diebeaties, MS, etc.

I mean, who wouldn't?
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 22nd, 2005 at 09:32pm
September_has_Ended:
I would do it if I had a history of cancer, high blood pressure, diebeaties, MS, etc.

I mean, who wouldn't?
I wouldn't....but I'm a hippie that says, "just leave it the fuck alone prissy-pants"

(yes, I have said that to a certified sceintist.....and a scientologist, but I take them a hellova lot less seriously
Kitti
Kitti
December 22nd, 2005 at 09:58pm
genetics is such a beautiful thing (whoa science geek, i know
but really, genetics, DNA, all so beautiful. nature is perfect. i hate the idea of screwing with it. yeah, take it apart to see how it works, but WHAT THE FUCK!!!! dont CHANGE things!!!!!
nature is always right. natural selection, darwinism. its RIGHT.
i wrote a lengthy paper on this when i took biology a couple years ago. then i got a new computer and i dont have it anymore. but i really wish i did...Sad
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
December 22nd, 2005 at 10:11pm
I don't believe in Darwanism because he said that life originated due to a mix of environment and enviornment got better so species did....

I don't fully believe The Bible either (hey, it says that our minds aren't the same as God's, so we should be sceptical and God said he'd understand and support that as long as we're cool with him at the end of the day....what a sweat deal!)
if you know me, I believe life happens in cycles, so the more advanced we get all depends on the biggest, most distant, and slowest moving cycle of them all.....and if you know me, you know I believe we're destroying it because we're trying to speed it up.....that includes DNA modification (I love how that unintentionally tied back to the topic.....I LOVE DNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1134
Kitti
Kitti
December 23rd, 2005 at 03:59pm
yeah, but darwinism isnt just the origin of life. Darwin started a cool thing where biology became all...legitimate, and science and religion were seperated, but at the end of the day they could coexist. which was cool.
i think the ability to identify a person using their DNA is pretty cool, it's just...if anyone even THINKS of changing mine i will cut them with a rusty spoon. Evil or Very Mad
<3Romance<3
Jackass
<3Romance<3
December 24th, 2005 at 07:24am
I don't care what my kids would look like, what hear or eye color they have, or whether they have big ears or not... It doesn't matter, as long as they are healthy.
Register