DNA issues

AuthorMessage
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 7th, 2006 at 01:15pm
Bloodraine:
Nine_Inch_Nails:
I know that if I was born with a horrible disease and my parents hasn't "fixed" me because they said "they'd love me whatever" then I would resent them. I think that's a selfish reason personally.

Were you referring to me being selfish then?

But I too would probably resent my parents for not choosing to modify my genes...Like I said, It wouldn't be my parents living with a horrible illness for the rest of their lives, I'd be the one living and dealing with it every day.

No, I said that I think it's a selfish reason for parents not to get rid of their kids horrible disease because "they'd love them anyway".
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2006 at 01:21pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
Bloodraine:
Nine_Inch_Nails:
I know that if I was born with a horrible disease and my parents hasn't "fixed" me because they said "they'd love me whatever" then I would resent them. I think that's a selfish reason personally.

Were you referring to me being selfish then?

But I too would probably resent my parents for not choosing to modify my genes...Like I said, It wouldn't be my parents living with a horrible illness for the rest of their lives, I'd be the one living and dealing with it every day.

No, I said that I think it's a selfish reason for parents not to get rid of their kids horrible disease because "they'd love them anyway".

What if the parents cant afford it?
What if tampering with genetics goes against their religion?
What if they dont want to risk there childs life going through the proceedure? It isnt going to completly safe at first(possibly never safe)
What if the parents dont support doing things like that after the child has been born, because they find it immoral? Things slip by, they may not find out their child has a disease until it has been born.

There is always circumstances, any good parent would love their child no matter what, last time I checked that didnt make them selfish, just devoted.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2006 at 01:23pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:

In the case of the UK, NHS Cool
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 7th, 2006 at 01:24pm
I didn't say they wern't devoted, I'm just saying that I personally would think about the child and do whatever is best.
But that's just me.
Whatever.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2006 at 01:25pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:

The uk isnt the entire world, and it wont be covered by NHS for a long time, if it isnt absolutely needed, it wont be covered, people live with these diseases every day, its part of life. Disposing of them would be great, but it isnt absolutely needed
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2006 at 01:28pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:

The uk isnt the entire world, and it wont be covered by NHS for a long time, if it isnt absolutely needed, it wont be covered, people live with these diseases every day, its part of life. Disposing of them would be great, but it isnt absolutely needed

Trust me...If they can fork out for cosmetic surgerey on the NHS, They will pay for Genetic Modification. Compared to that, it is needed.

Like I said, the treatment issue...

Also; just because not everyone can afford it, does that mean nobody should have it?
Kitti
Kitti
January 8th, 2006 at 08:28pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:

Okay. Let's solve that by eliminating the need for money.
That resolved, does your argument hold?
Looking at this as a moral issue, we're dealing with a practical vacuum.
The problem being "Supposing it can be done, should it?"
I just mention it because bringing an issue like money into is too many variables for a relevent discussion.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
January 11th, 2006 at 02:34pm
I think the only situation it should be used in is if the parents have some sort of genetic diseas or disablity they don't their kids to get.
But the whole choosing what your kid's hair color is or shape of their nose I'm against, if the kid wants to change how it looks it can do it when its an adult.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 25th, 2006 at 09:34pm
yeah sure, for medical issues, but i heard that you could now decide on the genger of your child if you wanted, but thats just sick
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2006 at 06:26am
I wouldn't go quite so far as to call it 'sick'
There are reasons...
No, i'm not talking about a situation like in China where you've got those kinda issues, but some diseases and conditions can be down to gender. Types of Haemophilia, for example
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 26th, 2006 at 07:47am
Bloodraine:
I wouldn't go quite so far as to call it 'sick'
There are reasons...
No, i'm not talking about a situation like in China where you've got those kinda issues, but some diseases and conditions can be down to gender. Types of Haemophilia, for example
no i mean to genetically alter your child for no reson but just so YOU WANT a boy or a girl
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2006 at 07:49am
Bet You It's Nabisco!:
no i mean to genetically alter your child for no reson but just so YOU WANT a boy or a girl

Ah, I see.
Now that is superficial.
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
April 27th, 2006 at 02:02am
people might go the weird step and make there children look like a celebrity or there could be a mistake and they could turn out pink with black polka dots... could you imagine that?
DirntyGirl101
Geek
DirntyGirl101
April 27th, 2006 at 03:28pm
ive heard of this b4 but i dont think i would do it though unless my kis was in danger or sick and it would cost his/or her life
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
July 9th, 2006 at 11:49am
i dont know much about this, but on purely moral grounds, i think its okay ONLY if your child is going to be born with some horrible, life-threatening disease or major disability that would prevent them from having any quality of life or even a life at all. thats where i draw the line. messing with DNA to alter appearance is going too far.
Register