How do you teach yourself guitar?

AuthorMessage
cheese_for_a_day
Falling In Love With The Board
cheese_for_a_day
February 28th, 2006 at 03:49pm
when i started i just got tabs and stuff online, but then my bro in law gave me a guitar book that teaches you stuff and the dookie guitar book...but i never really looked into those..i just play whatever even though it sucks
Grabbed By The Wrist
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Grabbed By The Wrist
February 28th, 2006 at 07:40pm
listen to songs you like, and try to copy it. and if youve got pics or videos of people playing, you can try to look at their fingers and copy them, then hear if it sounds ok Razz

good luck to yer
!nsomn!ac punk
Jackass
!nsomn!ac punk
March 1st, 2006 at 02:41pm
well im here right now looking up tabs on net
and just giving a bit of a go Wink
Hi_howareyou?
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Hi_howareyou?
March 3rd, 2006 at 12:10am
Practice. It doesn't matter if you sound crappy, you'll get better eventually. If you're not patient you're really not fit to play an instrument. Practice chords and scales and stuff like that. My dad taught me a few chords, which you could easily find on the internet, and he let me go from there. After two years I can play every Green Day song there is. Don't give up! Even if your fingers bleed!
!nsomn!ac punk
Jackass
!nsomn!ac punk
March 3rd, 2006 at 01:52pm
Hi_howareyou?:
Practice. It doesn't matter if you sound crappy, you'll get better eventually. If you're not patient you're really not fit to play an instrument. Practice chords and scales and stuff like that. My dad taught me a few chords, which you could easily find on the internet, and he let me go from there. After two years I can play every Green Day song there is. Don't give up! Even if your fingers bleed!

yeah don't give up ppl Wink
Rage&Love
King For A Couple Of Days
Rage&Love
March 5th, 2006 at 06:42am
i taught myself guitar like you on my brothers old guitar and im doing alright.
I went on to ultimate-guitar.com and pretty ,uch taught myself from there, just be determined dont give up and you'll be fine
Minnesotagirl
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Minnesotagirl
March 26th, 2006 at 04:56am

Indeed.I taught myself.First I used a book,You know to learn the basic stuff.Just don't give up and keep practicing.
tré owns all yo' asses!!1
tré owns all yo' asses!!1
March 26th, 2006 at 05:49am
the important things to remember when you start to teach yourself, it will hurt your hands, you'll start off sounding crappy, and you have to play everyday to get better
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
April 1st, 2006 at 04:52pm
Gustavatron.:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/

Take some of those beginners lessons. O=

UG = answer for everything.

i used that thing too
Zoie
Zoie
April 6th, 2006 at 12:11am
Look on the internet for chord diagrams. Then practice holding that position, then chord changes and stuff. I found it easier to learn open chords first, then go to power chords. But ya, you can probably find anything you need on the internet.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
April 8th, 2006 at 11:23am
I taught myself. I'm an okay player, I bought one of those books that comes with a cd to let you hear how the the chords and excersises are supposed to sound. and websites with mp3s are good too
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 8th, 2006 at 03:17pm
I had lessons for about a year, I learned the basic stuff, chords, scales,tab reading, simple songs. After that I felt it wasnt going anywhere so I droped out.

Even though I only had a year of lessons, I kind of developed an ear.

I've taught myself since them. Mostly easy stuff like Green Day, Blink 182, ect.

You have to learn the chords, remember what the sound like, be able to pick them out in a song, thats how you teach yourself, I guess
Iwannajumpout
Idiot
Iwannajumpout

Mibba Blog
April 9th, 2006 at 03:56am
Scales. Do your scales. Over and over and over. Up and down, all across the board. Arpeggios (sweep picking) and whatnot. Boring as hell, but necessary.
ROSHAMBO
Geek
ROSHAMBO
April 11th, 2006 at 02:31am
Does anyone know a simple way to tune an acoustic without a tuner?? I used to have some idea of what each twang of each string should sound.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
April 11th, 2006 at 08:36am
If you have a piano or something.. you could tun it against that..

Or find a site which helps you...
love.
love.
May 20th, 2006 at 08:26pm
i had my best friend teach meSmile
Escaped Mental Patient
Jackass
Escaped Mental Patient

Mibba
May 24th, 2006 at 11:42pm
I had one of my good friends show me some pointers
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
May 25th, 2006 at 04:01am
http://www.cyberfret.com

Hope the link works. A really good website for beginners.
Addison Montgomery.
Addison Montgomery.

Mibba Blog
June 7th, 2006 at 02:40pm
what is the addy for ultimate guitar?
The Fool On The Hill
Had A Life Before GSB
The Fool On The Hill
June 7th, 2006 at 03:02pm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Up