Things that new players shouldn't do?

AuthorMessage
Dom
Jackass
Dom
January 15th, 2006 at 04:08pm
GreenDay420:
Dom:
I don't see why you should start with acoustic, yeah so theres a thicker string gauge. I actually started with classical guitar for two years. Then bought an electric guitar, but i don't think it would have made much of a difference to my playing if i had done it the other way around. Classical guitar is easier to play than a steel strung, however playing rock on it could be quite difficult as the neck joins the body at the 12th fret.

classical buddies woo!! attempting to play power chords on it was my biggest mistake whilst having only the classical to play.

classical guitar doesn't get as much attention off girls though Cool . One reason to get an electric guitar...
LiamIsn'tOnFire.
Idiot
LiamIsn'tOnFire.
January 15th, 2006 at 07:08pm
Dom:
GreenDay420:
Dom:
I don't see why you should start with acoustic, yeah so theres a thicker string gauge. I actually started with classical guitar for two years. Then bought an electric guitar, but i don't think it would have made much of a difference to my playing if i had done it the other way around. Classical guitar is easier to play than a steel strung, however playing rock on it could be quite difficult as the neck joins the body at the 12th fret.

classical buddies woo!! attempting to play power chords on it was my biggest mistake whilst having only the classical to play.

classical guitar doesn't get as much attention off girls though Cool . One reason to get an electric guitar...

Mine did Cool I played my classical for a school talent contest (Good Riddance, naturally) and i came third and loads of girls were after me after that Cool But i had a girlfriend so it was awkward. Shocked

You're right though, they're much harder to play.
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
January 16th, 2006 at 12:04am
- If you're new to bass, don't start off with picking... get used to the feel of the bass strings, it'll pay off later on

Ah crap. Yeah, I agree with that. I can't play with my fingers for shit! The only song I can finger is to Give Me Novacaine's verse. Ah well, I agree with that.
*riddance*924*
Geek
*riddance*924*
January 30th, 2006 at 02:57pm
i've been playing for well i dunno, my band split up an stuff so its been on and off guitar playing for me but, does anybody have any advise for changing strings and um... tuning?
Dead End Girl
Addict
Dead End Girl
January 30th, 2006 at 10:59pm
I dunno...
I started with a pick on bass and I'm doing fine...
But anywho...

-Don't smash your crap.

Belive me...it's expensive xD. Especially with my dang left handedness...

Also!
Start off easy o_o.
Cause my friend is trying to play Holiday and it's a massacre...
But cha'.

Monkeys Cool
Dom
Jackass
Dom
February 1st, 2006 at 12:51pm
Drop their guitars....DO GET STRAP LOCKS. Yesterday, worst day of my life. Two of the machine heads from my month old gibson went flying off, because of a dodgy strap.

Thankfully, a little bit of epoxy resin will sort it out. But im still slightly in shock!

So there's a warning. Hold tightly to you precious axe.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
February 1st, 2006 at 12:58pm
*riddance*924*:
i've been playing for well i dunno, my band split up an stuff so its been on and off guitar playing for me but, does anybody have any advise for changing strings and um... tuning?

Changing strings: You will either have a through body bridge, usually on fender type guitars, where there will be a six holes at the back of your guitar. And you simply thread the string through he. Wind it round the machine head a few times, and then tighten it.

OR

You will have a stop bar tail piece, as seen on Gibson's, where you just thread the string through the metal bit on your guitar and do the same.

Tuning:

Manual: First you will need a reference not, in order to tune your Bottom E (thickest string). Then you can tune the next string (A) by getting it to sound the same as when you play the 5th fret on your bottom E. This is then repeated for the rest of the strings. Except when tuning the B string (second thinnest), you just use the 4th fret on the G string instead (third thinnest).

OR

Electronic: Fork out about £15, for an electronic tuner, its more accurate and it will save you time. If you intend to play gigs its probably a good idea to get a chromatic tuner pedal. Usually around £40-60 i think...mine was £40 (fender pt-100)
*riddance*924*
Geek
*riddance*924*
February 1st, 2006 at 02:48pm
Dom:
*riddance*924*:

Changing strings: You will either have a through body bridge, usually on fender type guitars, where there will be a six holes at the back of your guitar. And you simply thread the string through he. Wind it round the machine head a few times, and then tighten it.

OR

You will have a stop bar tail piece, as seen on Gibson's, where you just thread the string through the metal bit on your guitar and do the same.

Tuning:

Manual: First you will need a reference not, in order to tune your Bottom E (thickest string). Then you can tune the next string (A) by getting it to sound the same as when you play the 5th fret on your bottom E. This is then repeated for the rest of the strings. Except when tuning the B string (second thinnest), you just use the 4th fret on the G string instead (third thinnest).

OR

Electronic: Fork out about £15, for an electronic tuner, its more accurate and it will save you time. If you intend to play gigs its probably a good idea to get a chromatic tuner pedal. Usually around £40-60 i think...mine was £40 (fender pt-100)

wow, thanks for this, its a lotta help Cool
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
February 1st, 2006 at 08:04pm
yeah, in my opinion if you learn to play a steel stringed acoustic first, its easier to just swith to electric, because your fingertips are used to being pressed hard
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
February 1st, 2006 at 09:44pm
im not even going to read this topic....it's stupid.
good advice to new players ~ do what works best for you personally to get better.
Franny.
Falling In Love With The Board
Franny.
February 1st, 2006 at 09:48pm
Dom:
GreenDay420:
Dom:

lmfao i'm fine with classical then, i don't need girl's attention, i have myself hehehe. but some guys do like girls who play guitar....too bad most girls i know who play guitar are horrible and the guys think i would be horrible too....pfft, they're ugly anyway hahah (man i'm shallow! =P actually i only love myself...)
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
February 2nd, 2006 at 10:16am
Dom:
Drop their guitars....DO GET STRAP LOCKS. Yesterday, worst day of my life. Two of the machine heads from my month old gibson went flying off, because of a dodgy strap.

Thankfully, a little bit of epoxy resin will sort it out. But im still slightly in shock!

Duct tape. Oh yes. xD
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
February 2nd, 2006 at 11:14am
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Dom:

Duct tape. Oh yes. xD
I was playing and the my strap broke, and the tuning pins hit me in the face. It hurt.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
February 2nd, 2006 at 12:04pm
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Dom:

Duct tape. Oh yes. xD

well that and elastic bands for now!
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
February 2nd, 2006 at 03:10pm
Dom:
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Dom:

Duct tape. Oh yes. xD

O_O They must be really thick... the ones I've got make the guitar drop more often. xD
Dom
Jackass
Dom
February 2nd, 2006 at 03:36pm
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Dom:
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Dom:

Duct tape. Oh yes. xD

O_O They must be really thick... the ones I've got make the guitar drop more often. xD

seems to work. did you damage your guitar?
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
February 2nd, 2006 at 03:45pm
Dom:
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Dom:
Gustav! At The Disco.:
Dom:

Duct tape. Oh yes. xD

seems to work. did you damage your guitar?
No. It fractured my foot (just a little), so no damage at all. =D
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
Nicky and Cambria. Haha.
February 3rd, 2006 at 11:03am
oh, new players shouldn't play with a really hard pick.
aceofbrokenhearts
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
aceofbrokenhearts
February 4th, 2006 at 12:09pm
yeha. iv been playing guitar for a few mouths now and i think im shit and quite frackly need a wee bit more help but i started with acostic and i just do what my teacher tells me to do.
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
February 10th, 2006 at 12:46am
Buttermilk Rusk:
oh, new players shouldn't play with a really hard pick.
I started out with a really thin one, which I don't like when playing bass because...well, I just don't like it. Right now, I have a triple pic where it's like, a triangle and each corner is a different thickness...kinda sweet. NAAM show freebie baby. Cool
Register