Discrimination towards police officers

AuthorMessage
VF Lover!
King For A Couple Of Days
VF Lover!
January 27th, 2006 at 04:24pm
Now, you get many people calling cops "pigs". Maybe sometimes there is an officier who doesn't do his/her job and isn't doing what it right. But what about all the other cops that actually do their job and want to make a difference?

I see people always calling them "pigs" and I don't understand why.
I mean, next time someone breaks into your house, DON'T CALL THE COPS! Because remember kids, they're pigs! They go out every day, sometimes risking their lives to help you and keep your safe. And in return, they get called pigs.

Please explain.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
January 27th, 2006 at 08:21pm
When I lived in Belfast there was a lot of hate felt towards any sort of athuroity, mainly because they were mostly protestants and they hated catholics and sometimes they wouldn't protect the catholic parts of the city like they would the protestant parts. But on the flip side some of the decent protestant gards got attacked for going into a catholic area, it was messed up...
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 27th, 2006 at 08:57pm
i dont have much time for the police but like i have said before they are an evil nesscity.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 27th, 2006 at 09:00pm
The whole "pigs" thing goes way back, to the first labor riots I believe. This continued into the Nam riots and continues to this day.

Why? Because protesters against one thing or another tend to get beaten up by cops. There's a solid precedent for wariness towards police. This is certainly not to say that all this name-calling is justified, but the bad apples have kind of overruled the fresh, ripe apples in the past.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
January 27th, 2006 at 09:08pm
tre_cool_is_god:
i dont have much time for the police but like i have said before they are an evil nesscity.

Be bloody mayhem without them though.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
January 28th, 2006 at 03:49am
Incubus:
tre_cool_is_god:

oh god yes i know! If you just kept yourself clean then they wouldnt have any reason to trouble you anyway.

I lived in a town called Bristol and they were chasing a young boy in a stolen car and the chase went on for about 30mins and the young boy crashed and unfortunatly he died and everyone on the estate where he lived said that it was the police's fault because they were chasing him, what do they expect he was driving a stolen car at very high speeds and with out a licence, and that sparked of riots if anyone know britsol the riots were in totterdown.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
January 28th, 2006 at 11:26am
Incubus:
tre_cool_is_god:

Exactly. I mean, sure, cops are really interfering sometimes but without them, us humans would probably die out quicker.
Mikelvr
Mikelvr
January 28th, 2006 at 06:03pm
Friends at school are always telling shit about police officers. My dad is a policeman. So I just laugh and I think they're just teenagers searching for rebellion. Cause as the 1st comment says, who would they call if a burglar would break into they're house? *sitcks her tongue out*
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
January 28th, 2006 at 06:21pm
i accept police who do their jobs properly, and some are quite friendly as i saw today at villa. but sometimes they are over-the-top and isolated cases of this have lead to widespread misconceptions.
wheels-and-dolls-baby
Geek
wheels-and-dolls-baby
January 28th, 2006 at 06:22pm
dirtyhippie:
The whole "pigs" thing goes way back, to the first labor riots I believe. This continued into the Nam riots and continues to this day.

Why? Because protesters against one thing or another tend to get beaten up by cops. There's a solid precedent for wariness towards police. This is certainly not to say that all this name-calling is justified, but the bad apples have kind of overruled the fresh, ripe apples in the past.

Yeah, I think a lot of hatred towards the police is because there is so much hatred towards politicians and in a lot of american TV shows police officers are portrayed as really lazy people who eat doghnuts all the time
suzie_k
Falling In Love With The Board
suzie_k
January 28th, 2006 at 07:08pm
In Ireland the police are a corrupt bunch of bastards. yes you get the occasional nice guy, but otherwise they are arseholes.
here are a few examples

An ex-garda(police man in irish) left a gardí golf club after drinking with his gadaí friends and attempted to drive home!
On his way he knocked down 2 teenage girls on their way home from my friends 21st birthday party and left them for dead.
He continued driving and ran into a 70 year old man and his wife in their car. Giving the man a heart attack which killed him on arival to the hospital!
He got 5 years in prison.

As an ex-garda he shoudnt have been driving under the influance and his gardaí friends shouln'd have let him drive!!

They stopped my brother and searched him for drugs because he was "wearing a baseball cap" which suposedly is "enough grounds for suspision"

and finally

my little brother and his friends were down on the local green doing nothin and were told to move on.
my brother was held back and asked what he was laughing at. when he said he wasnt laughing the garda said if you want ill put you in the back og the van and kick you fucking head in"

so there you go. i used to have respect for the uniform anf there are some nice police people but they are few and far between
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
January 29th, 2006 at 06:44pm
wheels-and-dolls-baby:
Yeah, I think a lot of hatred towards the police is because there is so much hatred towards politicians and in a lot of american TV shows police officers are portrayed as really lazy people who eat doghnuts all the time

If I could, I'D eat donuts all the time...and I'm no cop. I just like pastries. (Mmm, donuts...)

And do we really hate politicians? I don't think so. We just view them with distaste unless they do something really cool, like give us wads of cash. If they do things like start wars or just be ignorant pricks, then I tend to hate them. But hate's a pretty strong word...I'd like to think that I don't really hate anybody that I don't know too well. (But I probably do.)

I do have a question for you though: Could you explore your statement about hatred of politicians leading to hatred of police? Seems a bit fuzzy to me.
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
January 30th, 2006 at 02:06pm
suzie_k:
In Ireland the police are a corrupt bunch of bastards. yes you get the occasional nice guy, but otherwise they are arseholes.
here are a few examples

An ex-garda(police man in irish) left a gardí golf club after drinking with his gadaí friends and attempted to drive home!
On his way he knocked down 2 teenage girls on their way home from my friends 21st birthday party and left them for dead.
He continued driving and ran into a 70 year old man and his wife in their car. Giving the man a heart attack which killed him on arival to the hospital!

As an ex-garda he shoudnt have been driving under the influance and his gardaí friends shouln'd have let him drive!!

They stopped my brother and searched him for drugs because he was "wearing a baseball cap" which suposedly is "enough grounds for suspision"

and finally

my little brother and his friends were down on the local green doing nothin and were told to move on.
my brother was held back and asked what he was laughing at. when he said he wasnt laughing the garda said if you want ill put you in the back og the van and kick you fucking head in"

so there you go. i used to have respect for the uniform anf there are some nice police people but they are few and far between

Ooh yeah.. I hate policemen who are like that. Unreasonable twats -.-'

The police over here are ok...

But over in China.. eurgh.. they're really strict and they'd beat the shit out of you if you don't do what they say.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 3rd, 2006 at 01:07pm
*Blue Star*-I Can Eat You:
suzie_k:
here are a few examples

and finally

Ooh yeah.. I hate policemen who are like that. Unreasonable twats -.-'

The police over here are ok...

But over in China.. eurgh.. they're really strict and they'd beat the shit out of you if you don't do what they say.

in germany if the police ask you to hault and you dont they can shoot you and even if you drop a little piece of rubbish on the floor they will arrest you. And then you'll be fined which i guess isnt all that bad.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 14th, 2007 at 05:51pm
My dad is a cop, and a damn good one
I have a lot of respect for him, for what he does and all the shit that he gets for it

He personally repsonsibile for saving many peoples lives and getting killers of the streets( he works for homicide dept.) and in return he's been shot (once in the arm), degraged by public, hassled by the media and his car got set on fire

People need to start seeing the bigger picture, its all to do with stereotyping and generalisizing NOT ALL COPS ABUSE THEIR POWER!
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
April 14th, 2007 at 06:09pm
i personally like policemen. My dad used to be one when i was real little. Some cops are really a pain in the arse and seriously awful people. But most of who i know are cool. I get along with the authority...well, in this case, the police...
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
April 14th, 2007 at 06:11pm
Lucifers Angel:

in germany if the police ask you to hault and you dont they can shoot you and even if you drop a little piece of rubbish on the floor they will arrest you.

uh. I never heard of that. Eh
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:22am
Where I live, they're mostly corrupt, so we avoid them. Unless we've got bribe money on ourselves, then we pretty much make up our own laws. Serisouly though, the driving age is 18, and 14 year old kids from rich powerful families are drving at 90 kph in the city center.
Vanity
Vanity
April 15th, 2007 at 02:33am
There is a lot of discrimination against police around where I live. I mean A LOT. There are these 2 cops that give all the rest a bad name. One will actually sit up at the community pool and keep his surveillance camera aimed at the pool to watch the chicks go by when they run around in their bathing suits. He's been suspended for that. And he's been suspended for driving drunk and fleeing other officers. He's just a downright asshole.
But I have the utmost respect for the officers who actually work to make a difference and don't sit on their asses like the other two do. The sheriff of my town is best friends with my dad, and is a really great guy. And a lot of the people and kids around here just can't see past his badge, and call him a pig. It's horrible. But I can't see a way to fix it.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
April 15th, 2007 at 06:34am
Whenever I've had dealings with the police they've been really helpful. A boy threatened to stab me and him and his mates gave me a load of shit, so I phoned the police, they were there within seconds, took me round to find them and I got an apology off of them, and if they do anything like it again, it becomes official. (They were from my old school and a couple of years younger so it wasn't that serious, and if I'd wanted to make it official, they would have had to bring another car out and it wasn't worth it.)

Also we've had bikes stolen from the garden and they've always been really helpful with that. So I've got no problems with the police at all.

Where I live there isn't much discrimination towards the police at all.

The more pressing issue, in my mind, is that now, in London, if you're white and middle class, you can't become a police officer. One of my mum's friends has been trying to become a police officer for ages and he'd make a really good one, but they won't let him in, because it's got to be equal rights.

It can't be equal rights when the 'majority' (although I'm not so sure that there are more white middle class people out there than not) are getting discriminated against.

Jobs should be awarded on merit, as opposed to skin colour/religion.
Register