MOVIE: Memours of a geisha!

AuthorMessage
SARAnade
King For A Couple Of Days
SARAnade
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:03pm
ive seen it as well as read the book and i thought that the book and the film were quite similar...except at the end...it was like they didnt know how to end it so they just...did! i was disappointed when the movie was over because i expected it to end a lot differently. overall i would recommend the film but if you read the book the end is probably gonna piss you off
SARAnade
SARAnade
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:05pm
LuLu:
My friend is reading the book and she says its amazing. She's almost finished it since starting 3 days ago and couldn't put it down. I think she's dying to see the movie so I'm gonna go with her at some point.

She was a little bit confused at one point in the book though, she wasn't sure if the girl was being raped or not. Can anyone clear this up for me?

she wasnt being raped its just custom for the geisha girls to sell their "misuagae" which is her virginity (or however you spell it) and if she didnt sleep with him she wouldnt have had enough money to pay off her debts for the kimono and other stuff that she had to get as a child. not rape just a custom Confused
MTVMAKESMEWANNASMOKECRACK
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:12pm
well durr.:
Razorblade Romance:
And Geishas aren't whores.

They're supposed to be whores..
Traditional and codified geisha engagements will never involve sexual activity.
Sylar
Falling In Love With The Board
Sylar
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:15pm
well durr.:
Razorblade Romance:

You idiot, no they're not!
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:17pm
Razorblade Romance:
well durr.:
Razorblade Romance:

I had the strongest urge to scream that at her too. But I calmed down.
LuLu
Jackass
LuLu
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:21pm
LovesBillieJoe:
LuLu:
My friend is reading the book and she says its amazing. She's almost finished it since starting 3 days ago and couldn't put it down. I think she's dying to see the movie so I'm gonna go with her at some point.

She was a little bit confused at one point in the book though, she wasn't sure if the girl was being raped or not. Can anyone clear this up for me?

she wasnt being raped its just custom for the geisha girls to sell their "misuagae" which is her virginity (or however you spell it) and if she didnt sleep with him she wouldnt have had enough money to pay off her debts for the kimono and other stuff that she had to get as a child. not rape just a custom Confused
Okies thanks for clearing it up for me Smile I shall tell my friend next time I see her.
Sylar
Sylar
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:24pm
Three Hour Let Lag:
Razorblade Romance:
well durr.:
Razorblade Romance:

I had the strongest urge to scream that at her too. But I calmed down.

Oh to have your willpower m'dear.
Honestly, why do people try and tell us about things they nothing of?! It's ri-goddamn-diculous! Evil or Very Mad
Bamboozler
Idiot
Bamboozler
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:47pm
I want to read the book.
swoon-
Post Whore
swoon-

Mibba
February 2nd, 2006 at 07:59pm
My sister's reading the book.
I saw the pirated DVD version at the mall.
Nazza
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Nazza
February 3rd, 2006 at 07:29am
Three Hour Let Lag:
Fall Out Kid:
My friends all said it was about Chinese whores.

...sorry is that was offending to anyone. Rolling Eyes
Japanese.

It's more annoying than offending when people assume every asain on earth is Chinese. (I wasn't directing that at you.)

Well said, with I myself being Japanese.

Is Ziyi Zhang any good at acting Japanese in the movie? Personally I think she belongs in classic Kung Fu movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
_bootsie_
Geek
_bootsie_
February 3rd, 2006 at 07:36am
well durr.:
Razorblade Romance:

geisha's aren't fucken whores idiot. they're a part of traditional japanese culture and get paid like $10,000 american to have a conversation with someone and pour drinks. in japan they dont believe in showing skin, or dressing skimpy, so why would WHORES be a big part of their culture????
Bittersweet World
Banned
Bittersweet World

Blog
February 3rd, 2006 at 07:39am
I saw The Producers instead. Confused
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 3rd, 2006 at 07:52am
*KyMmY*:
well durr.:
Razorblade Romance:

geisha's aren't fucken whores idiot. they're a part of traditional japanese culture and get paid like $10,000 american to have a conversation with someone and pour drinks. in japan they dont believe in showing skin, or dressing skimpy, so why would WHORES be a big part of their culture????

Geishas would have a Dana and a patron someone who when the dana isnt about will pay to have sex with them. But it is a big part of they're culture.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 3rd, 2006 at 07:53am
Terminal Preppie:
What's it about? Confused
I'm going to the movies this Saturday and I thought I might go watch it... for those who've watched it, is it good?

yes but please dont be disapointed at the end.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 3rd, 2006 at 07:55am
stupider than poo.:
My sister watched it. She said it wasn't great.
And from the way she described it, the old man sounds scary.

the old man? Does she mean nobusan? Or the president? Because neither of them were scary nobusan has burn marks down his face but hes not scary just strange in a differant culture sort of way.
SARAnade
SARAnade
February 3rd, 2006 at 11:25am
tre_cool_is_god:
stupider than poo.:

the old man? Does she mean nobusan? Or the president? Because neither of them were scary nobusan has burn marks down his face but hes not scary just strange in a differant culture sort of way.

does she mean doctor crabb...cause hes sounds like a scary guy in the book because he sleeps with her but he paid the most money to buy her misuagae (virginity) and in the movie hes a lot less scary though it does seem weird because hes like 50 and shes like 18 and they do it..but its weird cause she just lays there while he...you know...
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 3rd, 2006 at 11:34am
LovesBillieJoe:
tre_cool_is_god:
stupider than poo.:

does she mean doctor crabb...cause hes sounds like a scary guy in the book because he sleeps with her but he paid the most money to buy her misuagae (virginity) and in the movie hes a lot less scary though it does seem weird because hes like 50 and shes like 18 and they do it..but its weird cause she just lays there while he...you know...

yeah because the first time they are not suposed to enjoy. Confused
eberneezer_egghead
eberneezer_egghead
February 3rd, 2006 at 11:41am
My friend saw it the other day, but she said she didn't understand it.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 3rd, 2006 at 11:42am
LovesBillieJoe:
tre_cool_is_god:
stupider than poo.:

did you really find dr crabb scary because i didnt, i know that he bought her but that was just part and parcel of life over there.

actually if you see the film you'll know that he actually wasnt the highest bidder the baron was.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
February 3rd, 2006 at 11:44am
eberneezer_egghead:
My friend saw it the other day, but she said she didn't understand it.

yeah it is complicated, and very wordy.
Register