Helpful Grammar Tips

AuthorMessage
Tre the Cool.
Jackass
Tre the Cool.

Mibba
October 18th, 2006 at 07:42pm
Hmm...there's some things that I didn't know. I will use these tips while I am writing, from now on.
billies_rebel111
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
billies_rebel111
October 30th, 2006 at 02:46am
Hey, I need some help. . .

Say you were to write this:
"Yes, I think I will," said Ned. Bob looked at him before saying 'Yes, I will too.'

Is that right? The underlining going under the '. . .before saying 'Yes, I will too,'. Is that right becuase it just mentions that he says it? or does it not need inverted commas? confusing, i know, but i would greatly appreciate it if i could have some help!

thanx, emily
in_paradise_with_st_jimmy
Falling In Love With The Board

Mibba Blog
October 30th, 2006 at 01:31pm
billies_rebel111:
Hey, I need some help. . .

Say you were to write this:
"Yes, I think I will," said Ned. Bob looked at him before saying 'Yes, I will too.'

Is that right? The underlining going under the '. . .before saying 'Yes, I will too,'. Is that right becuase it just mentions that he says it? or does it not need inverted commas? confusing, i know, but i would greatly appreciate it if i could have some help!

thanx, emily

It all depends on how you are interpreting the statement. If "Yes, I will, too," is just being mentioned, it would be better to write it like this:
"Yes, I think I will," said Ned. Bob said he would, too.

If you are writing it as more of a dialogue, like if Bob is actually saying something and it's not just being mentioned in the the text, then it would be written like this:
"Yes, I think I will," said Ned. Bob looked at him and said, "Yes, I will, too."

OR

"Yes, I think I will," said Ned. Looking at him, Bob said, "Yes, I will, too."
etc. etc

There are a few different ways of wording a statement like that; I just gave a few examples. It just depends on how you are presenting the text i.e. as a direct statement or just something being mentioned. Just use whichever version most comfortable to you. Up If you have any more questions, you can pm me or post them here and I, or someone else, will answer it for you. Up
billies_rebel111
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
billies_rebel111
October 30th, 2006 at 04:21pm
thanks!

Mibba Blog
October 31st, 2006 at 12:38am
billies_rebel111:
thanks!

Happy to help. Up

Mibba Blog
November 27th, 2006 at 12:27pm
Man, I've already edited this thing like 5 times and I still need to add some more stuff. Laughing I swear, this thing will have been edited and modified like 20 times before it's complete. Rolling Eyes
White Riot
King For A Couple Of Days
White Riot
January 15th, 2007 at 12:06am
Grammar tips---WORLD'S BEST THREAD EVER.
Register