Is being educated not cool?

AuthorMessage
Josipa
Admin
Josipa

Mibba
April 25th, 2006 at 12:01pm
A Clockwork Orange:
I don't think you should have to pay for education at all..

I think at uni, you should pay for accomdation fees, and your food and extra living expenses. But you should NOT have to pay for the tuition. Which we do.
All of you pay? It doesn't work that way here. When you finish your high school and decide to continue your education, meaning, go to college, you gotta pass one, let's call it I-wanna-get-in-college exam. You gotta have a certain number of points to get in. And if you write it very well, if yu're among first 45 people who got in, you don't pay (as it's for my college). 45 out of less than 200 students don't pay. Of course, your high school grades are also taken in consideration.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
April 25th, 2006 at 12:04pm
Josipa:
A Clockwork Orange:
I don't think you should have to pay for education at all..

I think at uni, you should pay for accomdation fees, and your food and extra living expenses. But you should NOT have to pay for the tuition. Which we do.
All of you pay? It doesn't work that way here. When you finish your high school and decide to continue your education, meaning, go to college, you gotta pass one, let's call it I-wanna-get-in-college exam. You gotta have a certain number of points to get in. And if you write it very well, if yu're among first 45 people who got in, you don't pay (as it's for my college). 45 out of less than 200 students don't pay. Of course, your high school grades are also taken in consideration.

I think they used to have something like that here Think
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
April 25th, 2006 at 12:04pm
But they don't anymore.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
June 1st, 2006 at 04:00pm
I want to be educated. I don't want to be stupid.
Billie and Tre never finished High School and that bothers me(Don't ask me why 'cause I don't know).
Matty.
King For A Couple Of Days
Matty.
June 3rd, 2006 at 05:30am
When your younger its not cool, but then when you get to the final years of school its actully cool to be smart
Mikelvr
Mikelvr
June 3rd, 2006 at 11:08am
I always was a nerd... But not the lower case...
Just... bright and smart with glasses... But I always had friends Retard!
And now, I really prefer to be educated and everything... Instead of looking stupid...
Or acting so, because I don't know what else to do.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
June 3rd, 2006 at 11:53am
want a good job? Do well at school want to go on benefit? Then screw around.
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
June 4th, 2006 at 09:59am
Being an intelligent person was never really "cool." In the previous generation it was considered extremely "uncool." In my generation, however, it is neither. It's just a distinguishing attribute between yourself and another person. To many kids these days, it's just like your hair color; You're just that, smart.
Skullivan.[Im Not Okay]
Geek
Skullivan.[Im Not Okay]
June 4th, 2006 at 10:03am
well. apprently its totally uncool to be smart, to certain groups or people. to others its a good thing
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
June 4th, 2006 at 01:03pm
I'm not saying what I wrote before is what I think, it's just the general attitude of the people around me.
The.Crazed.Spork
Jackass
The.Crazed.Spork
June 4th, 2006 at 03:06pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
But they don't anymore.

they have scholar ships in the US, but they fees are still too much. my parents are over 200,000 dollars in debt because they went to school but couldn't really afford it.
Matty.
Matty.
June 4th, 2006 at 09:01pm
The.Crazed.Spork:
Nine_Inch_Nails:
But they don't anymore.

they have scholar ships in the US, but they fees are still too much. my parents are over 200,000 dollars in debt because they went to school but couldn't really afford it.
Hope it was worth it! thats a hell of alot of money
strummer92
Jackass
strummer92
June 5th, 2006 at 01:27am
as many people have said its un-cool to not know things i personally think history is the best and i still have tons of friends educated people are Cool
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
June 6th, 2006 at 05:10am
strummer92:
as many people have said its un-cool to not know things i personally think history is the best and i still have tons of friends educated people are Cool

i think its more un cool, if your asked a question adn you sit there going ERMMMMMM I DUNNO, but if you cane make a guess at the answer then thats better.
Blink.
Addict
Blink.
June 6th, 2006 at 04:24pm
A lot of people say that being smart is "uncool" or "nerdish" and they poke fun at the students who earn good grades. Really, I think sometimes they make fun of the smarter kids because they wish they did well in school. They wish that they would know the answer to the questions in class when they're called on instead of sitting there with a blank stare. I guess they make fun of the more educated kids because that's the only way they can feel better about themselves. ...I dunno if I'm right or not, but this is just what I think soo...
Warning_iNSOMNIACiDIOT
Geek
Warning_iNSOMNIACiDIOT
June 7th, 2006 at 04:53pm
i also think that you should go to school. i mean, say you`re in college. your parents pay for tuition. so you might as well stay with it and learn. a lot of parents struggle to keep their kids in school, and we should at least thank them by going. many kids out there don`t have the privilage of going to school, so we should be grateful. yeah, the cliche arument, but it does work.
Kimsex
Addict
Kimsex

Mibba
June 9th, 2006 at 10:11pm
I always thought that my mind was my ticket out of where I live, not that I live in a bad place or anything. Its just when I see those girls who dumb themselves down just to be liked, it makes me just want to move on to better things and get the hell out of there. I always took pride in being smart.
whoa
whoa
June 10th, 2006 at 06:43pm
Education is good for you. It makes you, in my opinion, a well-rounded person because you know a lot of things. It's not about rattling of picky facts and dates, it's about processing it and making you understand whatever it is better. It's making you realize, "I like this, maybe I want to do it for the rest of my life." or "I don't really like this, I'm going to steer clear of it after I graduate." or whatever.

Obviously, you could just have a brillant stroke of luck and acheive something without having to do with any education you have. But, it's always good to have something to fall back on.

The people who are uncool and smart, in my mind, are those who say something like, "I got a 3. 97349283479 GPA. I could have done so much better! If only I did extra credit in French! What did you get?" Those people seriouly need slaps in the face and have to reevaluate their situation.
Cemetry
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Cemetry
June 27th, 2006 at 10:03am
I don't get that GPA thing ...
Your marks are letters from A to F - okay, so far, I get it.
But the GPA is a number. The higher the better, I assume.

How do you transform the letters into that number???
Feeling stupid ...
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 6th, 2006 at 01:38pm
I'd rather have a good life and 15 years of education than be dumb and have no aim in life. The teachers never teach you because they think that you're going to use the information for something important in your life. They know you won't be using calculus to find the gradient of a projectile at any given time. You won't need to know the equation for latent heat or any of that kinda stuff. They know you won't need to know it. OK, maybe 1% of your grade will actually use it, but the teachers only teach you this so you can pass school and have a better life, get a job, earn money, support yourself. I dunno, this is just what I think.

I guess, going to school does in a way make you more human. You do actually learn non-acedemic things. Most of what we've learned about non-discrimination and stuff is from our education from school.

But then, like in Scotland, ages ago, in Glasgow during the 70s, when there were high unemployment rates and education was poor and morale in schools was low, you'd either go to school and get into fights, or you'd go play football. That's why so many good footballers used to come out of Glasgow. So lack of education could give you a high determination to achive something in life I guess. But I have no talent so I'm sticking with my education.
Register