Teachers Voicing their Political Opinions in the Classroom

AuthorMessage
folkin' around.
King For A Couple Of Days
folkin' around.
March 12th, 2006 at 10:42am
Should Teachers voice their polictical opinions in the classroom?

I don't think they should. I don't like teachers that have a biassd opinion when speaking about politics. Maybe you've heard about the Denver teacher who was relating Bush to Hitler..(or something like that..forgive me if I'm wrong). That's when I think it goes to far. I think that teachers should give their students and open mind about politics and not try to sway their students toward a certain party or canidate.

So what about you?
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
March 12th, 2006 at 10:45am
i dont think teachers should try and use their opinion to sway children. however, i believe the youth of today are smart enough to think things for themselves and not be told what to think.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 12th, 2006 at 11:48am
Teachers arnt allowed to force religious, homophobic, sexist, or racist views in public schools, I dont see why politics should be any different.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
March 12th, 2006 at 11:53am
I think they should be allowed to give their opinions and debate but as long as they don't force their opinions on us, then it's reet mate.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
March 12th, 2006 at 12:18pm
i think they should be able to , but not inforce them , sometimes it good for kids to hear the other side of things
suzie_k
suzie_k
March 12th, 2006 at 12:40pm
See I think its ok for teachers to give their opinion on anything.
I think its coz our teacers used to do it and if we felt they were wrong we would challange them.
And that helps in debating and stuff.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 12th, 2006 at 12:55pm
It creates tension between pupils and teachers, if they disagree, grudges could be formed, just like with teachers opinions on anything. Also, if a student dislikes a teacher, or likes a teacher, they are going to go out of their way to agree or disagree with them, Teahcers jobs are to present facts and make sure students understand them, not being walking political campagines to the youth.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
March 13th, 2006 at 03:58am
i think that teachers who force they're political opinions on children should be fired with a hefty fine, children are able to make they're own opinions and we shouldnt tell them what to think.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 13th, 2006 at 11:07am
There is a time and a place.

Teachers are allowed an opinion as much as the next person, and I for one would welcome my teachers voicing their opinions. It rarely, if at all, happens in my school which I believe is a shame.

There is a huge difference between forcing your opinion upon someone (and remeber, that person does not have to accept that opinion) and simply offering your views.

People also underestimate today's youth. You just try telling this generation what to think.
Dead End Girl
Addict
Dead End Girl
March 13th, 2006 at 10:22pm
Meh, us childrens aren't that dumb.
My SS teacher makes a Bush joke once in a while but I got his to stop xD.

I was like 'Man, I've heard you, and I just went to Green Day, cut it out.'

But they should be able to voice their opinion.
And not push it on us...
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
March 13th, 2006 at 10:54pm
I think teachers should state their opinion if they're trying to make a point.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
March 14th, 2006 at 12:01am
I dont think they should. Believe it or not kids get really pissed off and try and get teachers fired for it. I dont want teachers getting fired just for their own opinion so just "Keep your opinions to yourself" The teachers always tell us that, then they should to.
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
March 14th, 2006 at 03:39pm
My english teacher always forces her opinions on to us because she always needs to be right. Example, just last year there was a rebel in my class, all the other teachers were okay with her being a rebel and they way she dressed but not this teacher. One class we were talking about free will and she brings up the way we dress, she targets this one rebel girl very rudly, then makes her feel insecure. Obviously this rebel girl didn't like that, and being a rebel, went up to the teachers desk, pulled out a lighter and burnt a stack of papers on the desk. Superisingly (sp?), the teacher did nothing at all, just took the fire extingusher and with 1 squirt it was gone. The rebel girl came back to class again the next day, as if nothing had happened.

Obviously the teacher knew she did wrong, and that her constant nagging throughout the year had effected this rebel girl. They were even.

What the teacher did was wrong in a million ways. If we discuss war, she will impose her thoughts/opinions on to us and if we made a comment back she would ignor it.

In my mind this generation is well capeable of understanding more then the older generations think, and we can make our own decisions, and get our own ideas and perspectives. I already decided to not have a religon, but to live by a few simple rules. I'm 14.
Tyler
Tyler
March 14th, 2006 at 05:00pm
I think they shoul dbe able to give their opinions, but not be able to force students to believe them.
wheels-and-dolls-baby
Geek
wheels-and-dolls-baby
March 14th, 2006 at 05:20pm
no, I don't think they should
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
March 14th, 2006 at 09:33pm
it's an opinion, so i dont see why not.
xXxFallen AngelxXx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xXxFallen AngelxXx
March 15th, 2006 at 05:46pm
my english teacher tells us that oppinions are like assholes, everyone has one but most of them stink. but then he has no problem voicing his oppinions. i dont see a problem with it, just as long as they dont try to force their belliefs on students.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
March 16th, 2006 at 08:49pm
I have no problem with teachers voicing opinions, I think its good for kids to get to hear different sides to some things so they don't grow up just regerating what their parents have told them.
Just so long as they are just voicing their opinions and not forcing them down anyones neck.
Dead End Girl
Addict
Dead End Girl
March 16th, 2006 at 09:51pm
Heh...we just did somthing about this.
My teacher was talking about opinions and he lifted up the screen and I said 'George Bush is a Liar' and he talked about opinions and wrote some pro Bush stuff on there.
They he erased it and said 'I'd better erase this or someone sees it and gets me fired' xD.

So I think they'll share their point if they want to.

If they don't talk to us about it, eventually, people will be tarded' and not have any opinion.
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
March 18th, 2006 at 06:07pm
they shouldn't
Register