Teachers Voicing their Political Opinions in the Classroom

AuthorMessage
Spike
Geek
Spike
March 18th, 2006 at 07:09pm
I always want to know my teacher's opinion on something so that I can try and figure out why they think that. Whether I agree with it or not.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 31st, 2006 at 01:19am
I don't mind it as long as the teacher is willing to let the students voice their opinions as well.

However, their opinions should be voice in a politically correct manner.

My American Government teacher voices his opinion, but always gave everyone the chance to voice theirs as well.
Charlie!
Falling In Love With The Board
Charlie!
March 31st, 2006 at 12:39pm
I think they should be allowed to.
We were once having a discussion about war in English (We were studying WW1 poetry) and then we started discussing the recent war and our teacher said she would like to discuss it with us all as we shared the same opinion but she wasn't allowed.
I think in situations where the opinion is not being inforced upon a student than it is ok. I don't think they should be silenced by the government.
VF Lover!
VF Lover!
April 1st, 2006 at 02:33pm
I think it's okay to give their own opinions, but not brainwash the children into thinking such a thing. Because most children believe their teachers when they say something, because they're meant to teach the children. But I also think that they should teach truths, and have their students keep an open mind to things, thus they can form their own opinion. It's okay to simply explain to them how they feel a certain way, but don't force opinions.
neen bean
Addict
neen bean

Blog
April 2nd, 2006 at 04:23pm
my teacher alway voices his opinions on politics but when he does he makes it an open discussion for the whole class so it's alright when he does it atleast i think it's alrite
whoa
whoa
April 7th, 2006 at 08:02pm
I think that if the teacher isn't for elementary schoolers, then it is most definetely okay. Elementary kids are so...what's the word? basically hooked on every word that think it is so right, whatever. But when you get older and think for yourself, it's good to hear people talk about that because then it can help you realize what you want for you when you can vote. But I also think that if you are going to talk politics, you should go with more than one candidate and compare them. Not just say 'I think ___ will be a better ___."
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
April 7th, 2006 at 10:30pm
Perfectly fine so long as it is a CLASS discusion.. not just the teacher preaching and teaching his or her opinions to the class.
Baguelle
Baguelle
April 7th, 2006 at 11:44pm
I think so. It's someone's opinion, everyone has one, so why would it be different in the classroom where opinions are abundant? I don't know, it gives the kids examples of politics and different views which is good to me. It lets the kids decide what they think about certain situations and lets them be awair of what is going on around them.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 8th, 2006 at 08:40am
Conan Orgasmo:
Perfectly fine so long as it is a CLASS discusion.. not just the teacher preaching and teaching his or her opinions to the class.

i agree
we recently had one about stuff that divided the US
he said some of his views and let me voice mine
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
April 8th, 2006 at 11:34am
my teacher started saying something about how he doesnt think we should be in iraq but then he said, i wont get into this at school ...
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
April 8th, 2006 at 03:10pm
Its not really a political opinion, but similar I guess

About a week before the superbowl, a boy in a highschool in my city, Pittsburgh, wore a Seattle Seahawks jersey to class. He was screamed at and insulted infront of the teacher because he wore a Seahawks jersey instead of a Steelers one.
The thing is, the teacher was teaching about accepting others opinions and culture
JESSY NIGHTMARE
Idiot
JESSY NIGHTMARE
April 8th, 2006 at 04:29pm
I don't think they should. Teachers at my school imply there political and religious views and they make discussions over it biassed. In geography we were telling the teacher to write religious related things on the board and I sad 'Buddah', and he was like 'That's the same as Jesus pretty much. I'm not writing it.' I freaked out. Everything on the board was 'Jesus, God, Heaven, Hell, Angels, Christmas, Cross, etc' I almost got kicked out English for saying I didn't like Bush too.
Baguelle
Baguelle
April 8th, 2006 at 05:09pm
Basketcase463:
my teacher started saying something about how he doesnt think we should be in iraq but then he said, i wont get into this at school ...

That doesn't answer the question though. Laughing
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
April 8th, 2006 at 08:31pm
Basket*Case:
Basketcase463:

That doesn't answer the question though. Laughing
I knew that Laughing ...

no i dont think they should Retard
.Ashley.
.Ashley.
April 8th, 2006 at 09:37pm
I think teachers should voice their polictical opinions in the classroom. If the students can do so, than the teachers can.
But I don't think the teacher should treat a student with different polictical views any different than a student with the same polictical views as the teacher.
kfk8e
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kfk8e
April 11th, 2006 at 09:20am
I think it's fine in a class discussion, and even if they just randomly said it - as long as they allow the students to talk back.
I Heart Bunney
I Heart Bunney
April 11th, 2006 at 11:50am
I wouldn't really care if one of my teachers did it.
It wouldn't change my opinion of anything.
suicidalbunny*
Idiot
suicidalbunny*
April 12th, 2006 at 03:59pm
The only case I can really think of that I've experienced is my History teacher calling Oliver Cromwell 'The greatest man that ever drew breath' and Charles 'That man of blood'. It didn't affect my learning. I think it depends how much the teacher stresses his opinions. In a way it can lead to a wider education. As long as you don't take their words as law.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 12th, 2006 at 04:46pm
i think its helps with learning , shows kids a different perspective , some kids only know (about polotics nad stuff) what their parents say
ren
Idiot
ren
April 12th, 2006 at 10:18pm
My international relations teacher usually voices her postion, which is generally anti bush. She does sometimes suprise us and say something good. She told us she does this in our class because were older nad its an honors class. I do think it gives us a different persective, my parents are very conservative and when she first started talkng it blew my mind cause i had not really heard things like she was saying. I dont think she would say it unless she thought we could handle it and means no disrespect to disagreers (its generally however a anti western/US class). And i think it depends on the situation your in, the people and how they say it.
Register