What Video And Singles Would You Release Off American Idiot?

AuthorMessage
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
June 18th, 2006 at 03:02pm
Hand

I'd let it how it is. I'm fine with all.
Ambyeyes
Geek
Ambyeyes
June 18th, 2006 at 05:29pm
Stick It To The Man:
I would just change the video for WMUWSE.
I bothers me how the video doesn't very well tell what the song's about.

Your avatar is so pretty Very Happy Do you have the original?
Ambyeyes
Geek
Ambyeyes
June 18th, 2006 at 05:29pm
TreCoolIstSoGeil:
Hand

I'd let it how it is. I'm fine with all.

Yeah, it's great how it is.
i_luff_mike_dirnt
Geek
i_luff_mike_dirnt
June 20th, 2006 at 10:05am
For your information, the band does not choose what singles they release, the label does. Very Happy
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
June 20th, 2006 at 10:20am
Start with AI and leave the vid as it is, then release Holiday and also leave it as it is. release JOS leave everything as it is except that Green Day on a background, not on TV. Release St. Jimmy, then She's a rebel, Give me a novocaine, Letterbomb and finnaly Whatsername. Then I would release the rest.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
June 20th, 2006 at 10:30am
i_luff_mike_dirnt:
For your information, the band does not choose what singles they release, the label does. Very Happy

Neutral Noo ..
Ambyeyes
Geek
Ambyeyes
June 20th, 2006 at 10:47am
TreCoolIstSoGeil:
i_luff_mike_dirnt:

Neutral Noo ..

Yeah that sucks....
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
June 20th, 2006 at 11:00am
I like this thread Cool

I would not release as many songs, they kinda dragged it out a bit.

American Idiot -Leave as it is
Holiday/BOBD- Leave as it is
WMUWSE- Didn't like the whole dramatisation, most probably just have the band doing a live performance like on the podeoms that they were on and cut out all the girl/boy stuff.
TrEsXBiAtChX12
King For A Couple Of Days
TrEsXBiAtChX12
June 20th, 2006 at 11:07am
I wrote a video pitch for letterbomb so heres my Idea:

The video starts at a high School. We see very various scenarios a track team, a kid fighting with his parents, a kid looking in the mirror, a kid in a pile of homework. But the focus turns to this girl. Pacing in front the school property. She is either A crying or B just contemplating. This is the opening lines of the song.

Nobody likes you
Everyone left you
They’re out with out you having fun.

At the first few cords of the song you see fire works in the air. They are in a shape in heart grenade (like the Green Day Symbol). The girl looks up to the sky and starts running. When the song starts to become faster the kid fighting with his parents runs out and follows her. Suddenly you see a stage light up in an empty theater and see the guys performing. And a bunch of kids will pour in as soon as Green Day starts to performing. Another scene is a mob of kids running and Mike, Tré and Billie in the other direction and starts to sing:

Where have all the Bastards gone?
The underbelly stacks up ten high
The dummy failed the crash test
Now collecting unemployment checks like a flunkie along for the ride

You see the track team full of girls sitting in uniform in front of the coach. They look like they are in defeat. The coach is screaming, disgrace what pathetic act I have seen! Suddenly we see one girl looking backwards and seeing Mike walking past them. And when the coach turns around all the girls flee the scene to crash "The Gig". The scene changes back to the room and you see the kids start pouring in faster and then starts the next part of the verse

Where have all the riots gone as the city’s motto get’s pulverized?
"What’s in Love is now in debt" on your birth certificate
So strike the fucking match to light this fuel.

The kid in the mirror is either A) a little hefty or B) having an eating disorder. She is checking down on her weight and crying...she is about to purge until she turns on her tv and sees Billie on TV singing the verse. She runs out the door and escapes to go to the gig as well. The scene then moves to the kid in his pile of homework. He looks out the window and sees Tré merrily skipping down the block. He smiles and turns to his drum set and runs out the door. The scene turns to them at the gig and you see the track team enter like a bunch of groupies. One girl runs on stage and grabs Mike and doesn’t let go (making fun of the "Hey Ya" video) and bounces along to Billie singing the next verse.

The Town Bishops an extortionist and he don’t even know you exist
Standing still when it’s do or die
You better run for your fucking life

The girl at the beginning trips and a bunch of people make fun of her. She stays there for a moment. And gets up and starts to run. The boy who ran away from his parents turns around and thinks his parents are chasing him and starts to run faster. The girl sees Tré in the distance indicating her love for him and starts to run faster as well. The girl passes a TV store and sees Green Day singing the chorus:

It’s not over till your underground
It’s not over before it’s too late
This city’s burning it’s not my burden

At this point you see all four main kids running together. All running in a straight line as they see the concert in the distance. Finally the girl at the beginning moves ahead of them. The scene changes to the room and Green Day singing and various points showing kids rocking out.

There is nothing left to analyze

At the following verse you see a door opening and white light smoke pours in. You see all four kids walking in. They look around. The girl walks forward and surveys the scene. She let’s a forward "Come on" motion. All follow except for the kid who fought with his parents. He looks back and closes his eyes.

Where will all the martyrs go when virus wires itself?
And where will we all go when it’s too late?

At the guitar solo the three kids push through up front to see Green Day. The girl with the unconfident body smiles as she goes up front. At the line "and don’t look back" The kid who fought his parents turns forward and push through the crowd as well. They all make it to the front as Billie starts to sing:

You’re not the Jesus of Suburbia
St. Jimmy is a figment of your father’s rage
And your mothers love
made me the idiot America!

The girl at the beginning now smiles and leans against the stage. It changes to various points of the track team the unconfident body girl the homework kid and the kid fighting with his parents rocking out. Having fun. All with wide smiles on their faces.

It’s not over till your underground
This city’s burning it’s not my burden

At the end lines of the song. You see the sad girl at the beginning singing in Billie’s place. This proves that she hates her town and wants to leave. But doesn’t care anymore just savors the moment her own way.

she said "I can’t take this town I’m leaving it behind"
she said "I can’t take this place I’m leaving it tonight"

The video ends with all the kids smiling and happy in the own scenario’s from before. But the video dawns on the same girl from the beginning she turns across the street and see’s the guys waving to her she waves back. It closes out on her walking away smiling not caring anymore.
Ambyeyes
Geek
Ambyeyes
June 21st, 2006 at 02:50pm
Wow, long! Sounds great though Wink I wish they had a video for Letterbomb Crying or Very sad
RPattz
Board Parasite
RPattz
June 21st, 2006 at 05:10pm
i_luff_mike_dirnt:

The label say which they would like to release, the band has the final say
Feeling It Yet?
Geek
Feeling It Yet?
June 25th, 2006 at 12:38am
*Roses For The Dead*:
You're in Green Day's position, having just recorded American Idiot. You now have to decide what singles/videos to release. What singles would you have released, and how would their videos shape up? here's my marketing of American Idiot:

Single - American Idiot
Video - Leave it as it is

Single - Give Me Novacaine
Video - J.O.S is walking through the streets of his new town, looking for something, or someone. He has no luck. He turns into an alleyway and finds another character, maybe St Jimmy, doing drugs. Green Day are in the corner of the alley, watching as J.O.S and St Jimmy start on the drugs and from there, the video follows the lyrical storyline and is broken every now and then by scenes of the band playing on their instruments at the end of the alley, Tre has just one drum or something.

Single - Holiday
Video - As it is.

Single - She's A Rebel
Video - Simply J.O.S and Whatsername getting to know each other, J.O.S visibly more attached as the video goes on.

Single - Whatsername
Video - J.O.S pulls into his driveway, finally home. He goes upstairs to find his room completely unchanged from when he left and lies back. He starts to think of Whatsername as stills from the She's A Rebel video and other stills flash through his mind. As the end of the song draws near, J.O.S goes to his window and gazes out. He thinks he spots Whatsername in the street. He shouts to get her attention but fails. As the last note of the song is played, he shuts his eyes and falls back onto his bed.

Yeah, so I was bored. Anyone wanna have a go?

I like, i like alot!
well.durr__hXc™
King For A Couple Of Days
well.durr__hXc™
June 25th, 2006 at 12:41am
American Idiot [that was already planned to be the first single in the making of AI]
Extraordinary Girl
And Letterbomb

I personally don't think they should go overboard with their music vids.
r e v e n g e
Geek
r e v e n g e
June 25th, 2006 at 12:55am
I would have released-

AI
JOS
St. Jimmy
Novocaine
Letterbomb
Whatsername.

^hey look.
a pyramid
Wunny Bacon?!?
Jackass
Wunny Bacon?!?

Mibba
June 25th, 2006 at 12:08pm
I would keep all of the singles and keep the vids the same, except Wake Me Up. I love that video, but it doesn't have anything to do with the album, really. And I swear that the fact that the Wake Me Up video made me cry the first times I watched it doesn't have anything to do with it. Laughing Then I'd add more. 'Cause I'm a music video freak.

So, singles would be:
American Idiot
Holiday / Boulveard
Wake Me Up
JOS
She's a Rebel
St. Jimmy / Give Me Novacaine

The She's a Rebel video would basically just be a chick (Whatsername) wandering around at the beginning and then meeting JOS / Jimmy and then just them getting close. Or something like that.

St. Jimmy / Give Me Novacaine would be kinda like Holiday / BOBD, but with a different storyline. The St. Jimmy part would probably just be JOS running around with different people, trying to fit in, sort of. The not punk-y people would just stare at him and then he'd meet someone (Tunny?) who accepted him. Then it would go into the Give Me Novacaine part. JOS would be wandering around with Tunny, meeting Tunny's friends, etc., and then by the first verse Tunny would be convincing JOS to do drugs. He would, and, as Al Sobrante (the user on here, lol) said, he would basically turn into Jimmy.

Wow. Long post.
Amanda
Basket Case
Amanda
June 25th, 2006 at 01:48pm
American Idiot.
Jesus Of Suburbia.
Whatsername.

Thats it.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
June 25th, 2006 at 01:52pm
Ambyeyes:
TreCoolIstSoGeil:
i_luff_mike_dirnt:

Neutral Noo ..

Yeah that sucks....

I didn't mean it sucks ..

just it's wrong ..
Eliana Rampage
Jackass
Eliana Rampage
June 25th, 2006 at 01:59pm
Uhm, I'm fairly certain labels do -not- have 100% says as to what videos are released. That would ensure much less bands signing on, since bands do like flexibility.
Last Kennedy Alive
Geek
Last Kennedy Alive
June 25th, 2006 at 02:12pm
Stick It To The Man:
I would just change the video for WMUWSE.
I bothers me how the video doesn't very well tell what the song's about.

I agree.

I'd change the Holiday video, but i got no ideas so far Confused
-*Tay Cool*-
Geek
-*Tay Cool*-
June 25th, 2006 at 02:31pm
Hippy-Faggot-Punk-Rocker:
JUST recorded.....AMERICAN IDIOT????

....WHAT would I dO???????

BIN. INTO. THROW. PETROL. MATCH. GEDDIT?????????

H-F-P-R

Eh Sounds fun.
Confusing much?
Register