What Video And Singles Would You Release Off American Idiot?

AuthorMessage
-*Tay Cool*-
Geek
-*Tay Cool*-
June 25th, 2006 at 02:41pm
Ok, so this is what I'd do.

I'd leave the singles as they are, because singles confuse the hell out of me. As for videos...

GET RID OF THE GODDAMN WMUWSE VIDEO. Gettit? It has nothing to do with the song. Geez. Re-record a video that has something to do with the death of Billie's dad.

And I'd have to make a homecoming video. Just so that I could but slow-motion running at the end. (Home, we're coming home again.....) Yeah. That song /screams/ slow-motion running. It wiould also be fun to have a video for Rock and Roll Girlfriend. Just Tre, sitting there, playing his drums. Singing. Being a spazz. It would go to clips of that's he's singing about. Yeap.

Annnnddddd........

There needs to be a Are we the Waiting video. I don't know how it would go yet.
And I'm too lazy to think of it. Yeah.

Get it? Good. The end.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
June 25th, 2006 at 02:54pm
st jimmy should have a video, that would be so cool.
Ambyeyes
Geek
Ambyeyes
June 30th, 2006 at 05:48pm
anti-christ of suburbia:
st jimmy should have a video, that would be so cool.

Well, there is a video.. a live one. But I guess that not what you mean
GreenDaylove
Geek
GreenDaylove
July 4th, 2006 at 08:31pm
I'd change the video for WMUWSE.. gimme a second to write it up. =D

.. I've actually be thinking about this for some time now, ever since the damn video came out.
GreenDaylove
Geek
GreenDaylove
July 4th, 2006 at 08:49pm
So it would open to the intro guitar, fading in from black to a picture of a young boy with dark hair staring up at the ceiling of his room. And it's visibly night outside.

The boy would seemingly randomly get up once the singing starts and kreeps down the hallway to his parents room. He stays in said hallway and watches through the crack between the door and the doorframe as his father, a sickly looking man, sits up in bed trying to overcome a coughing fit. He'll have the cheesy white hankerchief and it'll show him coughing up blood or something.

Then the boy would back away slowly and go downstairs, where he would see the sleeping figure that is his mother, lying on the couch in her bath robe or something with the TV still on, the boy turning it off before walking through a swinging door.

As the chorus comes, it'll cut to the boy int he kitchen, walking around the band playing in the room to get a glass of water. He'll stop to look at a calendar where it'll be clearly marked as September, a big red circle around a certain day saying "First Day of School".

Then as the chorus finishes, the boy will go back upstairs to his fathers room and bring him a glass of water and him climbing in beside his dad. It'll have that sense that the boy knows what is inevidbly coming.

The next morning (during the bridge of the song), the boy wakes up next to his father and tries to wake up the older man. We'll see the glass of water half empty, having it symbolize something (not quite sure?). The boy will try and try to wake up his dad, but it won't happen.

Then it'll cut to the boy at school, all the people around him passing in fast motion blurs while he walks slowly down the halls, clutching the straps of his bag and his face empty of emotion except lonelyness. (this'll happen during the next chorus or something). And it'll alternate scenes with the Band walking along the same type of hallway, Mike with his arms crossed and looking at the ground, Tre' hugging himself and looking around, as if looking for a friendly face, and Billie Joe with his hands in his pockets singing with all his heart to the camera.

And then as t he last bit of the song rings through, it'll cut to a funeral scene. The boy will be st anding in a black suit next to his mother, the older woman bawling her eyes out while her son just stares blankly at the coffin infront of them.

It'll be a semi overhead shot, like it was taken from a nearby tree or something. The coffin will be being lowered into the ground as everyone leaves but the son, Green Day will be playing on the other side of the funeral site, all dressed in black and looking as if they're going to/have been crying. it'll stay on this scene until the mother turns around to look at her boy, her hand at her mouth with a stained red hankerchief as it fades to black.
Protest the Hero.
Falling In Love With The Board
Protest the Hero.
July 8th, 2006 at 11:27am
*Roses For The Dead*:
You're in Green Day's position, having just recorded American Idiot. You now have to decide what singles/videos to release. What singles would you have released, and how would their videos shape up? here's my marketing of American Idiot:

Single - American Idiot
Video - Leave it as it is

Single - Give Me Novacaine
Video - J.O.S is walking through the streets of his new town, looking for something, or someone. He has no luck. He turns into an alleyway and finds another character, maybe St Jimmy, doing drugs. Green Day are in the corner of the alley, watching as J.O.S and St Jimmy start on the drugs and from there, the video follows the lyrical storyline and is broken every now and then by scenes of the band playing on their instruments at the end of the alley, Tre has just one drum or something.

Single - Holiday
Video - As it is.

Single - She's A Rebel
Video - Simply J.O.S and Whatsername getting to know each other, J.O.S visibly more attached as the video goes on.

Single - Whatsername
Video - J.O.S pulls into his driveway, finally home. He goes upstairs to find his room completely unchanged from when he left and lies back. He starts to think of Whatsername as stills from the She's A Rebel video and other stills flash through his mind. As the end of the song draws near, J.O.S goes to his window and gazes out. He thinks he spots Whatsername in the street. He shouts to get her attention but fails. As the last note of the song is played, he shuts his eyes and falls back onto his bed.

Yeah, so I was bored. Anyone wanna have a go?

Wow, I'd love to see those.
Um...Let me think...
Single-Saint Jimmy. (If it existed.)
Video-J.O.S. is walking down a street, punks running around talking about a "Saint Jimmy."
Saint Jimmy appears, walking up to J.O.S.
(Jimmy was the guy by the trashcan fire in B.O.B.D.)
The two are shown conversing, they shake hands and rob stores and cause trouble for the whole video.
I couldn't really think of anything.
Batteries Not Included.
King For A Couple Of Days
Batteries Not Included.
July 9th, 2006 at 11:49pm
TrEsXBiAtChX12:
I wrote a video pitch for letterbomb so heres my Idea:

The video starts at a high School. We see very various scenarios a track team, a kid fighting with his parents, a kid looking in the mirror, a kid in a pile of homework. But the focus turns to this girl. Pacing in front the school property. She is either A crying or B just contemplating. This is the opening lines of the song.

Nobody likes you
Everyone left you
They’re out with out you having fun.

At the first few cords of the song you see fire works in the air. They are in a shape in heart grenade (like the Green Day Symbol). The girl looks up to the sky and starts running. When the song starts to become faster the kid fighting with his parents runs out and follows her. Suddenly you see a stage light up in an empty theater and see the guys performing. And a bunch of kids will pour in as soon as Green Day starts to performing. Another scene is a mob of kids running and Mike, Tré and Billie in the other direction and starts to sing:

Where have all the Bastards gone?
The underbelly stacks up ten high
The dummy failed the crash test
Now collecting unemployment checks like a flunkie along for the ride

You see the track team full of girls sitting in uniform in front of the coach. They look like they are in defeat. The coach is screaming, disgrace what pathetic act I have seen! Suddenly we see one girl looking backwards and seeing Mike walking past them. And when the coach turns around all the girls flee the scene to crash "The Gig". The scene changes back to the room and you see the kids start pouring in faster and then starts the next part of the verse

Where have all the riots gone as the city’s motto get’s pulverized?
"What’s in Love is now in debt" on your birth certificate
So strike the fucking match to light this fuel.

The kid in the mirror is either A) a little hefty or B) having an eating disorder. She is checking down on her weight and crying...she is about to purge until she turns on her tv and sees Billie on TV singing the verse. She runs out the door and escapes to go to the gig as well. The scene then moves to the kid in his pile of homework. He looks out the window and sees Tré merrily skipping down the block. He smiles and turns to his drum set and runs out the door. The scene turns to them at the gig and you see the track team enter like a bunch of groupies. One girl runs on stage and grabs Mike and doesn’t let go (making fun of the "Hey Ya" video) and bounces along to Billie singing the next verse.

The Town Bishops an extortionist and he don’t even know you exist
Standing still when it’s do or die
You better run for your fucking life

The girl at the beginning trips and a bunch of people make fun of her. She stays there for a moment. And gets up and starts to run. The boy who ran away from his parents turns around and thinks his parents are chasing him and starts to run faster. The girl sees Tré in the distance indicating her love for him and starts to run faster as well. The girl passes a TV store and sees Green Day singing the chorus:

It’s not over till your underground
It’s not over before it’s too late
This city’s burning it’s not my burden

At this point you see all four main kids running together. All running in a straight line as they see the concert in the distance. Finally the girl at the beginning moves ahead of them. The scene changes to the room and Green Day singing and various points showing kids rocking out.

There is nothing left to analyze

At the following verse you see a door opening and white light smoke pours in. You see all four kids walking in. They look around. The girl walks forward and surveys the scene. She let’s a forward "Come on" motion. All follow except for the kid who fought with his parents. He looks back and closes his eyes.

Where will all the martyrs go when virus wires itself?
And where will we all go when it’s too late?

At the guitar solo the three kids push through up front to see Green Day. The girl with the unconfident body smiles as she goes up front. At the line "and don’t look back" The kid who fought his parents turns forward and push through the crowd as well. They all make it to the front as Billie starts to sing:

You’re not the Jesus of Suburbia
St. Jimmy is a figment of your father’s rage
And your mothers love
made me the idiot America!

The girl at the beginning now smiles and leans against the stage. It changes to various points of the track team the unconfident body girl the homework kid and the kid fighting with his parents rocking out. Having fun. All with wide smiles on their faces.

At the end lines of the song. You see the sad girl at the beginning singing in Billie’s place. This proves that she hates her town and wants to leave. But doesn’t care anymore just savors the moment her own way.

she said "I can’t take this town I’m leaving it behind"
she said "I can’t take this place I’m leaving it tonight"

The video ends with all the kids smiling and happy in the own scenario’s from before. But the video dawns on the same girl from the beginning she turns across the street and see’s the guys waving to her she waves back. It closes out on her walking away smiling not caring anymore.

o my god that was great! i have a photographic memory so i could totally
picture this video in my head! this idea would be soooo cool!
Batteries Not Included.
Batteries Not Included.
July 9th, 2006 at 11:53pm
i think letterbomb, homecoming, and whatsername would be awsome videos. Cool
RebelofSuburbia
RebelofSuburbia
July 10th, 2006 at 11:26am
~Im The Minority~:
TrEsXBiAtChX12:

The video starts at a high School. We see very various scenarios a track team, a kid fighting with his parents, a kid looking in the mirror, a kid in a pile of homework. But the focus turns to this girl. Pacing in front the school property. She is either A crying or B just contemplating. This is the opening lines of the song.

Nobody likes you
Everyone left you

At the first few cords of the song you see fire works in the air. They are in a shape in heart grenade (like the Green Day Symbol). The girl looks up to the sky and starts running. When the song starts to become faster the kid fighting with his parents runs out and follows her. Suddenly you see a stage light up in an empty theater and see the guys performing. And a bunch of kids will pour in as soon as Green Day starts to performing. Another scene is a mob of kids running and Mike, Tré and Billie in the other direction and starts to sing:

You see the track team full of girls sitting in uniform in front of the coach. They look like they are in defeat. The coach is screaming, disgrace what pathetic act I have seen! Suddenly we see one girl looking backwards and seeing Mike walking past them. And when the coach turns around all the girls flee the scene to crash "The Gig". The scene changes back to the room and you see the kids start pouring in faster and then starts the next part of the verse

The kid in the mirror is either A) a little hefty or B) having an eating disorder. She is checking down on her weight and crying...she is about to purge until she turns on her tv and sees Billie on TV singing the verse. She runs out the door and escapes to go to the gig as well. The scene then moves to the kid in his pile of homework. He looks out the window and sees Tré merrily skipping down the block. He smiles and turns to his drum set and runs out the door. The scene turns to them at the gig and you see the track team enter like a bunch of groupies. One girl runs on stage and grabs Mike and doesn’t let go (making fun of the "Hey Ya" video) and bounces along to Billie singing the next verse.

The girl at the beginning trips and a bunch of people make fun of her. She stays there for a moment. And gets up and starts to run. The boy who ran away from his parents turns around and thinks his parents are chasing him and starts to run faster. The girl sees Tré in the distance indicating her love for him and starts to run faster as well. The girl passes a TV store and sees Green Day singing the chorus:

At this point you see all four main kids running together. All running in a straight line as they see the concert in the distance. Finally the girl at the beginning moves ahead of them. The scene changes to the room and Green Day singing and various points showing kids rocking out.

At the following verse you see a door opening and white light smoke pours in. You see all four kids walking in. They look around. The girl walks forward and surveys the scene. She let’s a forward "Come on" motion. All follow except for the kid who fought with his parents. He looks back and closes his eyes.

At the guitar solo the three kids push through up front to see Green Day. The girl with the unconfident body smiles as she goes up front. At the line "and don’t look back" The kid who fought his parents turns forward and push through the crowd as well. They all make it to the front as Billie starts to sing:

And your mothers love

The girl at the beginning now smiles and leans against the stage. It changes to various points of the track team the unconfident body girl the homework kid and the kid fighting with his parents rocking out. Having fun. All with wide smiles on their faces.

At the end lines of the song. You see the sad girl at the beginning singing in Billie’s place. This proves that she hates her town and wants to leave. But doesn’t care anymore just savors the moment her own way.

The video ends with all the kids smiling and happy in the own scenario’s from before. But the video dawns on the same girl from the beginning she turns across the street and see’s the guys waving to her she waves back. It closes out on her walking away smiling not caring anymore.

I'd so wanna see that Shocked
Nathalie.
Addict
Nathalie.
July 10th, 2006 at 11:31am
RebelofSuburbia:
~Im The Minority~:
TrEsXBiAtChX12:

Nobody likes you
Everyone left you

And your mothers love

I wanna see that too!
B.J
B.J
July 10th, 2006 at 11:35am
Long_Kiss_Goodnight80:
RebelofSuburbia:
~Im The Minority~:
TrEsXBiAtChX12:

Nobody likes you
Everyone left you

And your mothers love

I wanna see that too!

thats really good
I always make up ideas for videos in my head
I made up one for JOS, and funnily enough the JOS video actually had bits like my idea which made me go O_O
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
July 10th, 2006 at 11:43am
I would have done exactly the same as them up to Wake Me Up...

I would have released Wake Me up When September Ends as a single, but recorded a different video, similar to the Good Riddance, When I Come Around sort of thing. No crappy acting war scenes stuff.

Then I would have left it at that. I wouldn't have released JoS, maybe have still stuck the live video of St Jimmy on Kerrang! though, but not released any more singles after WMUWSE.
mikey1000
Idiot
mikey1000
July 10th, 2006 at 11:50am
The very first single would be JOS and wouldn't change nothing i'm pleased the way it turned out.
Then are we waiting would be next and it would be with the actor from jos how he's walking this long street not really knowing what planet he's on. (something like bitter sweet symphony by the verve but just sweeter). Then it would turn into st.jimmy kinda like brain stew/jaded. And in st. jimmy we see a *clone* coming out of jos and start singing the song while he sits and wonders if it's real or not. I have a preey good idea of this part but it's hard to explain.
The next single would be Shes a rebel and in this video we basically meet whatsername and see jos observing her at some party while shes being wild, basically a rebel hence the name.
And the last video would be whatsername. In the beggining we hear the very final of homecoming. In this video we see JOS at his job at a mall seeing a poster with a fictional band called 'the rebels'. And then it would be a crossover from flashbacks with jos and whatsername having fun and JOS at work.
If it sux sorry, i can't explain it so good.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
July 10th, 2006 at 11:55am
I'll kick the next person's a** who'll quote TrEsXBiAtChX12's post Azdaja
k-contentbarrier-
Addict
k-contentbarrier-
July 12th, 2006 at 07:03pm
wow, teh mods are getting stricter here

here r my singles:

AI

Give Me Novocaine

Holiday

Letterbomb

Whatsername

yeah i know most albums only have four, but why not have five? or seven? whatever, i'll leave it at that.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
July 12th, 2006 at 07:13pm
Argh I'm a Pirate:
wow, teh mods are getting stricter here

here r my singles:

AI

Give Me Novocaine

Holiday

Letterbomb

Whatsername

yeah i know most albums only have four, but why not have five? or seven? whatever, i'll leave it at that.

It's just not very interesting to have huge quotes.. Very Happy
Arcane-Inamorata
Arcane-Inamorata

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 07:14pm
B.J:
Long_Kiss_Goodnight80:
RebelofSuburbia:
~Im The Minority~:
TrEsXBiAtChX12:

Nobody likes you
Everyone left you

And your mothers love

I wanna see that too!

thats really good
I always make up ideas for videos in my head
I made up one for JOS, and funnily enough the JOS video actually had bits like my idea which made me go O_O

Wow... That sounds really neat.
(Sorry Cecilia, I really like it. Please dont hurt me)
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
July 12th, 2006 at 07:24pm
Mike_is_sexy_86:
Wow... That sounds really neat.
(Sorry Cecilia, I really like it. Please dont hurt me)

What kind of wood your coffin? Coffee

Mr. Green
iamkiller
Basket Case
iamkiller

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 08:04pm
OH YAY.

I'm going to school to be a music video director!

So..

Single: American Idiot. Just because it's catchy.
Video: I'd probably leave it as it is.

Single: JOS
Video: I like how it is now, maybe I'd release it in seperate parts, so its shorter and gains more of an audience. I like the concept a lot.. I think it's pretty. Maybe a little more of a story line, like the song.

Single: Holiday
Video: I wouldn't have the video it does now, although it's cool. I'd probably have made it a performance video. Maybe something like "BIAB" with the artistic side, but less "big" in size (stage, crowd, etc.)

Single: BOBD
Video: I like the video for the song. It works, but I'd have more performance.

Single: Are We the Waiting
Video: Maybe a walk, like BOBD, but in a city. With a lot of different lighting and rain drizzling the camera out slightly.

Single: St. Jimmy
Video: I like the video as it is, from "BIAB". I dont feel that a "real" video would be much different then how the performance went. If something was made TOO much like the song (all.. evilness) then I think it would seem tacky, or fake, to me.

Single: Give Me Novacaine
Video: I would have loved a video for this song. It'd be a simple one, for sure. Maybe some performance shots focusing on the face. This could also make a portrait image. Maybe a lot of Black and White.

Single: She's a Rebel
Video: Following "Give Me Novacaine", just a little more fast pace. Turns the Black and White imagery of "Give me Novacaine" to a lot of color schemes.

Single: Extraordinary Girl
Video: A performance with the guys wearing old, vintage-type clothes. Maybe those hats they love to wear. A lot of eye-imagery and a girl walking alone in the streets. Everything around her is black and white, while she's in color and so is the band.

Single: Letterbomb
Video: I would probably make this a concert performance as well. Maybe add something like "Stuck With Me", but to the theme of 'American Idiot' and what the song represents. A lot of head portraits would help get their point across, I think.

Single: WMUWSE
Video: I have nothing against the current video, but I never even thought of that concept for the video. I like the band's performance in it, and I would keep that, but I maybe would have added some 'fake home movies' to it and have a blurry sense to them with the normal view of September, leaves and autumn, to images of a war.

Single: Homecoming
Video: Obviously a follow-up of "JOS". Maybe the same type of movie, just backwards.

Single: Whatsername
Video: Definitely wish this had become a video. A slight performance when necessary, like the beautiful guitar at times, with Billie's portrait singing the song and looking down, just looking sad and powerful. Blurry images of what seems to be two people together.

They seem simple, but if I had more time to think about it (as a normal music video director would be able to do) some would have story line to them.
iamkiller
Basket Case
iamkiller

Mibba
July 12th, 2006 at 08:10pm
greendayjunkie:
i_luff_mike_dirnt:
For your information, the band does not choose what singles they release, the label does. Very Happy

The label say which they would like to release, the band has the final say

Eh I highly doubt Green Day would let the label decide for them.

They aren't new to the business.
Register