Dress codes

AuthorMessage
+_Pledged_+
Idiot
+_Pledged_+
February 20th, 2007 at 07:08am
Anji:
+_Pledged_+:
I'm in year 11, and they still don't let us, that's why i think it's a tad over the top.
Well, in my case, some guy was shot to death outside of our school, so I'm glad we're not allowed out. Ever think that maybe the school cares for your well being?

Nah..Blackwood isn't that exciting Laughing
They havn't even given us a reason for it.
They just go around the area in a mini bus at lunch and bring the people that have gone out back in.
It causes more rebellion, people actually jumping over the fences at lunch to get out..
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 20th, 2007 at 09:49am
+_Pledged_+:
Anji:
+_Pledged_+:
I'm in year 11, and they still don't let us, that's why i think it's a tad over the top.
Well, in my case, some guy was shot to death outside of our school, so I'm glad we're not allowed out. Ever think that maybe the school cares for your well being?

Nah..Blackwood isn't that exciting Laughing
They havn't even given us a reason for it.
They just go around the area in a mini bus at lunch and bring the people that have gone out back in.
It causes more rebellion, people actually jumping over the fences at lunch to get out..
Exciting? That's exciting? Tell me that next time you're standing with a bomb in your face.
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
February 21st, 2007 at 02:11pm
Anji:
Exciting? That's exciting? Tell me that next time you're standing with a bomb in your face.
Depends on your tastes I suppose. I mean, standing as close to the edge as you can as a train hurtles past your face, so close, it's a rush of adreniline...

Yeah...

Dress codes are useful tools. Very useful.

Of course, depends on situation. If there is a particular two rival gangs who all go two different schools, then anyone in that uniform could be a target as they could be percepted as the enemy.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 22nd, 2007 at 08:58am
Joan Greenwood:
Anji:
Depends on your tastes I suppose. I mean, standing as close to the edge as you can as a train hurtles past your face, so close, it's a rush of adreniline...

Yeah...

Dress codes are useful tools. Very useful.

Of course, depends on situation. If there is a particular two rival gangs who all go two different schools, then anyone in that uniform could be a target as they could be percepted as the enemy.
You know what's really interesting? If you stand in a city and a car drives within a foot away of you, it's normal. In a wide open field, if a car did that, you'd think they were crazy. You adapt to your environment.
+_Pledged_+
Idiot
+_Pledged_+
February 23rd, 2007 at 03:23pm
Anji:

To verify the meaning of exciting..
Exciting - to arouse or stir up the emotions or feelings
So, yeah, I meant exciting.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 24th, 2007 at 09:15am
+_Pledged_+:
Anji:

To verify the meaning of exciting..
Exciting - to arouse or stir up the emotions or feelings
So, yeah, I meant exciting.
Dictionaries are great and all, but they ignore the actual connotation of words when put into context. You're connotation, seemed to mean excessive enjoyment.

And that wasn't a joke. That's what goes on here.
Tom Blinks Me.
Idiot
Tom Blinks Me.
February 28th, 2007 at 04:45pm
Zoie:
I don't like the idea of uniforms, but there should be some kind of limit on what you can wear.

agreed.
cactus.
Falling In Love With The Board
cactus.
February 28th, 2007 at 04:55pm
Bloodraine:

But if you wanted to be, say, a Doctor, the health service wouldn't let you have bright green hair and a septum piercing. Why is a school any different?
Its about rules, and sticking to them. Any employer has the right to refuse you for a job if you don't go by their rules, schools should be the same.

Yes, I agree with that, but only concerning extreme situations like the ones you gave as examples.
There are some schools that won't let you dye your hair from light brown to dark brunette or blond, and make a big fuss about that.
One of our teacher made a big scandal just because one of the girls had nail polish on, and it wasn't bright or outrageous.

So I agree with a school having rules about the students' appearance, but not extremely strict.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 2nd, 2007 at 11:58pm
Bloodraine:

But if you wanted to be, say, a Doctor, the health service wouldn't let you have bright green hair and a septum piercing. Why is a school any different?
Its about rules, and sticking to them. Any employer has the right to refuse you for a job if you don't go by their rules, schools should be the same.

You know... the last time I checked your hair color really doesn't tamper with your ability to perform medical related tasks. I can understand banning piercings for sanitation reasons but thats a health hazard, green hair isn't. I think any employer who chooses to judge people on things such as hair color is shallow and ignorant, but that's not the point. They do have the right to refuse. And it isn't anyone is being forced to work there, it's there choice, and if they choose to work there, then they also choose to accept rules and things of that sort. However public school is different, it isn't like you have the choice of going or not, it's something you have to do. I just dyed my hair bright orange and black, and it hasn't tampered with my ability to learn, or anyone around me. Im not really the only one with abnormal hair either, its just normal in my school. It isn't a big deal anymore. It was until about 2 years ago when they repelaed that part of the dress code rules, but now that it isnt a rule, no one is spazzing out about it. Instead of people getting in trouble over something silly like hair, no notice of it is even taken anymore.I think it works alot better that way. It's fine to have regulations, but they need to be fair. Judging people based on their hair color is not fair.
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
March 3rd, 2007 at 04:57am
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:

You know... the last time I checked your hair color really doesn't tamper with your ability to perform medical related tasks. I can understand banning piercings for sanitation reasons but thats a health hazard, green hair isn't. I think any employer who chooses to judge people on things such as hair color is shallow and ignorant, but that's not the point. They do have the right to refuse. And it isn't anyone is being forced to work there, it's there choice, and if they choose to work there, then they also choose to accept rules and things of that sort. However public school is different, it isn't like you have the choice of going or not, it's something you have to do. I just dyed my hair bright orange and black, and it hasn't tampered with my ability to learn, or anyone around me. Im not really the only one with abnormal hair either, its just normal in my school. It isn't a big deal anymore. It was until about 2 years ago when they repelaed that part of the dress code rules, but now that it isnt a rule, no one is spazzing out about it. Instead of people getting in trouble over something silly like hair, no notice of it is even taken anymore.I think it works alot better that way. It's fine to have regulations, but they need to be fair. Judging people based on their hair color is not fair.
It may not tamper your ability to learn or work - but it changes the way people see you.
I think in any proffession, especially one in which you deal with the public, it's important how you want to present yourself.
As were talking about doctors here - they are people you need to trust and respect, and green hair just doesn't say 'proffesional' .
I'm not saying I agree with it - society is often prejudice or quick to judge for completely irrelevant things. But I can understand a patient who would be weary of being operated on by someone with orange hair/tattoos/peircings/whatever.
Schools are obsessed about their students looking like nice, respectable, conforming clones. If a parent sees people walking out of that school with brightly coloured hair, it suggests that the school either a) doesn't care about it's appearance or b) can't control it's students.
From their point of view - green hair is a non-conformity, which may be just one step away from full-scale rebellion. Shocked
It's stupid, I know. But even the most ridiculous things can change people's whole perspective.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
March 3rd, 2007 at 07:31am
to some point people should be able to wear what they want, as long as it isnt too revealing, as in seriously short skirts(my mom calls em wide belts) and seriously short shirts or too skimpy clothing in general, in our school you can basically wear whatever you want, weather its studs or highheels. as long as you dont look too repulsive or slutty, its all ok, my classmates used to nag about me and my ties but i told em to stick it up their arses and since then they've been quiet, i will always wear what i want, rules schmules lolVery Happy
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 3rd, 2007 at 10:32am
rehabreject:
It may not tamper your ability to learn or work - but it changes the way people see you.
I think in any proffession, especially one in which you deal with the public, it's important how you want to present yourself.
As were talking about doctors here - they are people you need to trust and respect, and green hair just doesn't say 'proffesional' .
I'm not saying I agree with it - society is often prejudice or quick to judge for completely irrelevant things. But I can understand a patient who would be weary of being operated on by someone with orange hair/tattoos/peircings/whatever.
Schools are obsessed about their students looking like nice, respectable, conforming clones. If a parent sees people walking out of that school with brightly coloured hair, it suggests that the school either a) doesn't care about it's appearance or b) can't control it's students.
From their point of view - green hair is a non-conformity, which may be just one step away from full-scale rebellion. Shocked
It's stupid, I know. But even the most ridiculous things can change people's whole perspective.

It doesn't tamper with your ability to do the job. That's what matters. Regardless of hair color, they all went through the same medical training and it would be ignorant to judge them based on something like hair color, or any apperance factor. I can also understand why a patient would be nervous about having a doctor with green hair; because they are judgemental and foolish and that's no excuse. Society is judgemental and prejudice, but thats no excuse to keep allowing it to become that way.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 3rd, 2007 at 05:13pm
Kurtni:

I agree. But if you went to a doctor with your child and the doctor lets say has piercings, tattoos, weird hair colour etc. would you let him treat your kid? His abilities are not a question here its his appearance. I would. I bet you would too, but a lot of people wouldn't and thats the main reason why looking different may be the only reason why you wont get a job. And you cant fight people`s prejudices, you just have to go along with it. School on the other hand isn't the same as having a a real job, especially not public school so things shouldn't get that uptight, but I have never seen anyone dressed the way that would make me say, well thats too much even for school. There is no dress code in my school except that girls cant look too naked. But what about t-shirts that advertise alcoholic drinks or t-shirt that show politic ideals [that may not be so great]. I agree there should be rules and yes, there should be bans, but sometimes teachers are just looking at things that don't really matter instead of being concentrated on other things.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 3rd, 2007 at 06:10pm
Pressure Drop:
And you cant fight people`s prejudices, you just have to go along with it.

What would have happened if no one had stepped up to prejudice, racist views? We might still have slavery and it be legal. What if no one had stepped up and went agaist the stereotype that women were stupid creatures who were meant to serve their husbands? Woman may not have the right to vote. That's the problem. You CAN fight peoples prejudices, you CAN stand up against people with silly stereotypes. If we had just constantly went along with those prejudicies our world would be very different than it is today.
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
March 4th, 2007 at 04:50am
Kurtni:
Pressure Drop:
And you cant fight people`s prejudices, you just have to go along with it.

What would have happened if no one had stepped up to prejudice, racist views? We might still have slavery and it be legal. What if no one had stepped up and went agaist the stereotype that women were stupid creatures who were meant to serve their husbands? Woman may not have the right to vote. That's the problem. You CAN fight peoples prejudices, you CAN stand up against people with silly stereotypes. If we had just constantly went along with those prejudicies our world would be very different than it is today.
Fighting prejudice is a great and noble idea. But - and I'm going to get attacked for this - humans are not perfect. Prejudice is part of our animal instinct. By nature, people are programmed to live in groups for security/companionship/whatever. Someone who looks different to you is automatically seen as a threat and treated so.
This only becomes a problem when it turns into serious discrimination - you mentioned some extreme examples like slavely. But these people were discriminated against through no fault of their own. Someone dying their hair is making a choice and should anticipate the consequences.

Ellaisonfire:
Individuality can be expressed in so many other ways, not just clothing.
Anyone seriously persuing a career, for example medicine, shouldn't have to use their appearance to attract attention or earn respect. If you are willing to jeopardize your future because of some uncontrollable need to stand out, you may have to re-think your priorities.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 4th, 2007 at 09:10am
Kurtni:

True. If I was more specific about what I have said maybe it wouldn't sound so stupid. You cant compare racial prejudice and women stereotype with stereotypes about appearance. I agree we should fight prejudice. But the ones that are worth fighting. There is no slavery, women have more rights, but some people are still racists and some people still don't have high opinions about women. But you can get punished for that. You wont get punished if you don't like someones hair style. Because dress codes are rules and true, not all rules are good [slavery wasn't a good law, the facts that women couldn't vote wasn't a good law either], but you cant change your skin colour and you cant change your sex, but you can change your hair style.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 4th, 2007 at 09:28am
People want to hire people with a certain appearance. I can agree with that. The fact is: appearance matters. If it didn't, nobody would make a big deal out of theirs and dye their hair green or have face piercings.

Appearce can be a big enough deal for the individual for them to have funny hair and piercings, but I think an employer has equal right to make a big deal out of it. Think
At the end of the day, nobody is forcing you to get a job, either.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
March 5th, 2007 at 03:35pm
to me, if you do your studys, work hard why would it bother anyone what you wear, uniforms make poeple look like sheep, (all the same)
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 5th, 2007 at 03:50pm
Bloodraine:
People want to hire people with a certain appearance. I can agree with that. The fact is: appearance matters. If it didn't, nobody would make a big deal out of theirs and dye their hair green or have face piercings.

Appearce can be a big enough deal for the individual for them to have funny hair and piercings, but I think an employer has equal right to make a big deal out of it. Think
At the end of the day, nobody is forcing you to get a job, either.

Except the fact that I'm assuming most people don't want to be homeless or live in a shelter.

I agree, however, that when you take on a job you may have to change your appearance slightly. I have to remove my lip ring at work and I'm not allowed to dye my hair purple, blue, green, etc.

I understand this. I believe, however, that a work environment is different than a school environment. You get paid to be at work, you decided to take that job. School, you don't get paid and you don't have much of a choice up until a certain of age of whether or not you wish to attend.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 14th, 2007 at 11:02am
druscilla; in rags:

Except the fact that I'm assuming most people don't want to be homeless or live in a shelter.

I agree, however, that when you take on a job you may have to change your appearance slightly. I have to remove my lip ring at work and I'm not allowed to dye my hair purple, blue, green, etc.

I understand this. I believe, however, that a work environment is different than a school environment. You get paid to be at work, you decided to take that job. School, you don't get paid and you don't have much of a choice up until a certain of age of whether or not you wish to attend.
Actually, if I can remember from before my teens, being homeless was the new 'hip' thing. When I was about eleven, I used to have tons of friends in their late teens who, even from rich families, thought that it would be oh so rad to throw away all of their possessions, chuck a bunch of rubbish into a shopping cart, wear a musty old jacket with dreads and dirt all over your self and just leave all the glamour for the streets instead for a month or so. Tons of people did it. It was sorta like an homage to the Buddha, a path to enlightenment...except most of them ended up wasted and in a buzz after the month instead of ever finding 'the Way'.

Obviously, at work, you are meant to be a professional and at school, well, there's no such thing as a 'professional student'. (Least not that I know of.) Attitude, behavior, discipline, focus, work is all shown to have improved in a school that wears uniforms. It's obvious, unless you want to fail school, (In which case, what the hell are you doing there?) uniforms will help benefit you as a student.
Register