Dress codes

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 01:01pm
x_Tasha_x:
You should be able to wear what you want. We need the freedom to express our individuality, which is VERY limited with uniforms.
I'm sure you're quite the individual, I mean how many times have we heard that arguement on this thread? Rolling Eyes
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
June 14th, 2007 at 10:49pm
Moony Madness.:
x_Tasha_x:
You should be able to wear what you want. We need the freedom to express our individuality, which is VERY limited with uniforms.
Individuality and personality are not based on clothes. Some can have the emoest look and be a totally boring person. Clothes dont make a man.
I quite agree.

You can be wearing the most outrageous outfit in the world, it doesn't change who you are on the inside.

Haven't any of you ever watched Barney? Laughing
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 14th, 2007 at 11:00pm
No one ever said clothes are the only way to express your individuality, I don't know why some of you are acting like they did. It is one way. I love my clothes, and they reflect my personality.Fashion is important to me, I guess in some ways you could say that is whats on the inside. I would love to be a designer, you can express yourself through clothes. Just like painters can express themselves through their artwork and musicians can express themselves through songs. Is it the only way? No, but thats how they like to do it. Is that painting whats on the inside? No, but it reflects what is, and its still important to them. I can see why people would be upset about being forced to wear clothes that they didn't pick out.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 03:52am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Moony Madness.:
x_Tasha_x:
Individuality and personality are not based on clothes. Some can have the emoest look and be a totally boring person. Clothes dont make a man.
I quite agree.

You can be wearing the most outrageous outfit in the world, it doesn't change who you are on the inside.

Haven't any of you ever watched Barney? Laughing

Damn straight.

You can wear your awesome new clothes outside of school too. It's not like there's only one place where you can express yourself.

To tell you the truth, I hate wearing my uniform. I don't feel at all like myself, the collar is too stiff and it took me forever to get used to it.

But that doesn't affect me that much. I just feel a little uncomfortable at the beginning of the day and you get so absorbed with classes and talking to your friends that it doesn't matter. Besides, you can show off your new t shirt over the weeked at the movies or after school or whatever.

And even if it's not just a uniform, a dress code of some kind is important.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
June 15th, 2007 at 09:55pm
I think it's important to have some rules about dress too, so that people don't go around dressed in clothing that's too revealing or sleazy. I don't know about the uniforms and stuff, I don't see what's wrong with them, but that's just my stand about dress rules.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 16th, 2007 at 09:19am
That's true. Some people wear those really baggy pants really low and they trip and fall into other people. Stuff like that is usually banned from school. And there are shirts that show cigarettes and alchohol in a positive light. I believe things like that are also usually banned.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
June 16th, 2007 at 11:16pm
lyrical_mess:
That's true. Some people wear those really baggy pants really low and they trip and fall into other people. Stuff like that is usually banned from school. And there are shirts that show cigarettes and alchohol in a positive light. I believe things like that are also usually banned.

Yeah, those are both good things to ban. I actually heard on the news the other day that a town or two in Texas are talking about making it illegal to wear those pants that come to your knees out on the street, or fining you when you do it, and I thought that was actually pretty cool.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 16th, 2007 at 11:26pm
GD Addicts Anonymous:

Yeah, those are both good things to ban. I actually heard on the news the other day that a town or two in Texas are talking about making it illegal to wear those pants that come to your knees out on the street, or fining you when you do it, and I thought that was actually pretty cool.

How is that cool at all? You think its cool that the government is trying to take away your rights? (although I doubt that was actually proposed, its insane and no politician in their right mind would waste time on it. It won't pass.)
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
June 16th, 2007 at 11:36pm
Kurtni:
GD Addicts Anonymous:

How is that cool at all? You think its cool that the government is trying to take away your rights? (although I doubt that was actually proposed, its insane and no politician in their right mind would waste time on it. It won't pass.)

I don't see how that's taking away someone's rights... people just might not want to see people's butts hanging out going down the street. I doubt it'll pass either anyway.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 16th, 2007 at 11:40pm
GD Addicts Anonymous:

I don't see how that's taking away someone's rights... people just might not want to see people's butts hanging out going down the street. I doubt it'll pass either anyway.
People with their asses hanging out should be fined with indecent exposure. Other people wear pants like that perfectly correctly, why should they not be allowed to?

And it wont pass because it violates the constitution. There is no justifued reason for banning pants like that, and it limits someones freedom of expression.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 01:50pm
Kurtni:
No one ever said clothes are the only way to express your individuality, I don't know why some of you are acting like they did. It is one way. I love my clothes, and they reflect my personality.Fashion is important to me, I guess in some ways you could say that is whats on the inside. I would love to be a designer, you can express yourself through clothes. Just like painters can express themselves through their artwork and musicians can express themselves through songs. Is it the only way? No, but thats how they like to do it. Is that painting whats on the inside? No, but it reflects what is, and its still important to them. I can see why people would be upset about being forced to wear clothes that they didn't pick out.
I just don't understand how who you are is a matter of importance at a school.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 01:52pm
Did you know that being topless in Australia is actually not indecent exposure. It's not on the list of body parts one cannot reveal.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 04:18pm
Anji:
Kurtni:
I just don't understand how who you are is a matter of importance at a school.
Well, if you'd like to attend school in an expressionless void, then be my guest. I however learn better when I and those aroud me can be comfortable with who they are. Who you are is more than vital in school. Your personality defines the classes you choose to take based on your interests. It helps you form bonds with those around you which is necessary to your success. School is about more than just learning, obviously thats your top priority, but you do have to function with those around you, and who you are definitely matters in that aspect. I don't understand how you can think its unimportant.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 05:29am
^ The first sentence of Kurtni's post made me giggle. Shifty I just read it three times and I laughed each time.

But other than the fact that it was funny (and I'm probably the only one alive who thinks so), its true. Anji, you took the IB course. They counsel you and make sure your personality and goals fit the courses you choose. I don't think they'd put a hippy in Business & Management or whatever. And in order to interact with teachers and classmates. School isn't supposed to be "Okay, lets sit there and listen." We have to listen and respond and discuss. We have to be actual people.

And clothes can help define that person, but they're not the only way. Also, uniforms help school unity! Shifty It sounds lame but its true. I went to take an admission test and these three girls were all from the same school and one of them said "I'll feel so disloyal, wearing the Oakridge uniform."
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
June 18th, 2007 at 07:27am
Kurtni:

There's something I can't understand.When everybody is forced to wear the same clothes(uniform) at school,they say "oh,they won't let us express our creativity and individuality".When you are not forced to wear uniform,there are 'trends'.And since almost everyone wants to be 'in trend' they wear the same clothes which are in fashion.To me,'trend' is similar to 'uniform' and there are few persons who are REALLY individual in clothing as far as I noticed(not as in extravagance,just normal clothes which don't follow the trends).
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 12:50pm
Micro Sheep.:

There's something I can't understand.When everybody is forced to wear the same clothes(uniform) at school,they say "oh,they won't let us express our creativity and individuality".When you are not forced to wear uniform,there are 'trends'.And since almost everyone wants to be 'in trend' they wear the same clothes which are in fashion.To me,'trend' is similar to 'uniform' and there are few persons who are REALLY individual in clothing as far as I noticed(not as in extravagance,just normal clothes which don't follow the trends).
Maybe they like trends? Everyone has different tastes in fashion. It isnt about who wears the most original outfit, because if you're just wearing the clothes to be different, then you aren't wearing them to express yourself anyways, are you? I like some trendy clothes, and if I came to school dressed in something totally unheard of, that wouldn't be me at all. Because I don't care for clothing like that.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:47pm
Kurtni:
Well, if you'd like to attend school in an expressionless void, then be my guest. I however learn better when I and those aroud me can be comfortable with who they are. Who you are is more than vital in school. Your personality defines the classes you choose to take based on your interests. It helps you form bonds with those around you which is necessary to your success. School is about more than just learning, obviously thats your top priority, but you do have to function with those around you, and who you are definitely matters in that aspect. I don't understand how you can think its unimportant.
I guess, but I really don't understand why having a uniform will impact that so greatly that you wouldn't be able to do any of those things. And from my experience, my academic performance in school wearing uniform out does not wearing my uniform and I have always had friends. Who knows, maybe if I had a uniform in the last previous years, I would get accepted into Oxford.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:54pm
lyrical_mess:
^ The first sentence of Kurtni's post made me giggle. Shifty I just read it three times and I laughed each time.

But other than the fact that it was funny (and I'm probably the only one alive who thinks so), its true. Anji, you took the IB course. They counsel you and make sure your personality and goals fit the courses you choose. I don't think they'd put a hippy in Business & Management or whatever. And in order to interact with teachers and classmates. School isn't supposed to be "Okay, lets sit there and listen." We have to listen and respond and discuss. We have to be actual people.

And clothes can help define that person, but they're not the only way. Also, uniforms help school unity! Shifty It sounds lame but its true. I went to take an admission test and these three girls were all from the same school and one of them said "I'll feel so disloyal, wearing the Oakridge uniform."
The first set Business Studies IB teacher in my school is a lesbian hippie. Shifty Just some random knowledge. I saw her and her partner at HomePro holding hands and kissing as they walked down one of the garden implaments isles. *Shudder.* Not an experience I am willing to repeat.

SCHOOL UNITY!!! Yeah! Helps build a community, which is impossible in my school because we have over 2,000 students which is enough to build a city (a small one, mind you), but still. My school is very competitive and we love kicking some ISB (opposition school) ass. I think the uniform does help strenghthen that spirit.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 01:56pm
Anji:
I guess, but I really don't understand why having a uniform will impact that so greatly that you wouldn't be able to do any of those things. And from my experience, my academic performance in school wearing uniform out does not wearing my uniform and I have always had friends. Who knows, maybe if I had a uniform in the last previous years, I would get accepted into Oxford.

Well, there is a difference between saying "who you are in school doesnt matter" and "wearing a uniform wont impact that." My main opposition to uniforms is with public schools, where kids are forced to go. If a private school wants to have a uniform, fine, because kids choose to go there. But kids in public schools don't have a choice to where they go. I still think uniforms are silly, but private schools have the right to require them.

I was talking to Meg, and evidently in Britland you can pick your own public school. Here, it doesnt work like that. Its based on where you live and what school district your parents pay taxes too.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 18th, 2007 at 02:06pm
Kurtni:
I was talking to Meg, and evidently in Britland you can pick your own public school. Here, it doesnt work like that. Its based on where you live and what school district your parents pay taxes too.
Yeah, when I went to a public school once in New York we had to do that. It was HORRIBLE! I ended up doing maths three grades higher than the rest of the class. And the food was dreadful. It is a stupid law though. It's like that in Canada too. So then my parents got me into a Catholic school. I had a uniform there. I was still mostly doing higher stuff, but academically I learned more. Socially, I was picked on for being part Buddhist whereas in the public school, well all sorts of people were there. So that's when we moved into NYC.

A brief history of Anji.
Register