Dress codes

AuthorMessage
wild at heart
Idiot
wild at heart

Blog
March 27th, 2011 at 09:41am
Frank Anthony Iero.:
I wouldn't have liked wearing a uniform because I like being able to express myself through my clothes and my hair.

But uhm, isn't that kind of the point of uniforms? I mean certain schools want their students to look 'decent' or i don't know, in order to avoid situations when some people go to school in slutty clothes, with mohawks, pants falling off etc.
Also in my old school, there was quite a difference between normal, say middle-class kids and rich kids, showing of their designer clothes etc. Which made a lot of students quite uncomfortable, thus uniforms help avoid situations like this.
So, uniforms are not so bad, however after a while it gets quite dull.
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
March 27th, 2011 at 11:33am
I've never had a mohawk, but I know people who did, and nobody gave them any crap. A lot of kids had visible tattoos and it was okay. I don't think a lot of kids wore baggy pants.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
March 27th, 2011 at 12:54pm
How exactly is this contributing to the discussion...?
A hell of a lot of jobs involve wearing suits, so how are the uniform dissenters among us going to cope when they come to be employed?
Wearing a suit occasionally is fun! And I think it's perfectly possible to express yourself through uniforms, it's just a subtler art than wearing a metric fucktonne of eyeliner etc...
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
March 27th, 2011 at 01:10pm
I'm just saying that people should be allowed to express themselves through their hair even if they are wearing a uniform.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
March 27th, 2011 at 02:44pm
i remember in elementary school we couldn't wear tank tops with thin straps or shorts that where shorter than half our thigh. i mean i understand dress codes because it can make male teachers pretty uncomfortable.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 27th, 2011 at 03:42pm
I went to Catholic school for 12 years and I wore uniforms all 12 years.

I didn't mind wearing uniforms. In the morning I already knew what I was going to wear. Also in high school we were allowed to customize things a little. Like I would wear a studded belt, wristbands, and have lime green or black nail polish. So I still wasn't like everybody else. Wearing uniforms made me feel less self conscious about myself. Now, that I'm in college and I can wear what I want, I'm afraid about what people think of my clothes. :/
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
March 28th, 2011 at 07:23pm
At my school, you're aloud a mohawk, but you can't stand it up if it's over a certain haight, and they measure it if they think that it is. Haha.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 28th, 2011 at 10:05pm
John Entwistle:
I went to Catholic school for 12 years and I wore uniforms all 12 years.

I didn't mind wearing uniforms. In the morning I already knew what I was going to wear. Also in high school we were allowed to customize things a little. Like I would wear a studded belt, wristbands, and have lime green or black nail polish. So I still wasn't like everybody else. Wearing uniforms made me feel less self conscious about myself. Now, that I'm in college and I can wear what I want, I'm afraid about what people think of my clothes. :/
PLUS, on many Fridays we would have "tag days" or "dress down days" where we could wear normal clothes and sneakers and stuff.
weasel_120
Geek
weasel_120
March 31st, 2011 at 08:02pm
I think there should be some limit on the uniforms, but not an entire school wearing the exact same pants and shirt.
At my school we're not allowed to wear tank tops and i can see why we shouldn't wear that. People tend to be flashy enough with out having no sleeves.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
April 1st, 2011 at 09:16am
I get dress codes, but I just don't get why everyone must look the same, be required to wear a tie or skirt or a blazer.
Idk I don't particularly express myself through my clothing but I think I'd feel restricted or bored that everyone looks the same.
Mareh
Mareh

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 03:12am
Imho anyone who claims that they can't express themselves when they wear a uniform are pretty shallow people. There's plenty of other ways of expressing yourself other than wearing skinny jeans, a band shirt and vans with piercings.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 10:32am
i kinda agree. it shouldn't even be all about what you wear. you can express yourself by just being yourself
coop
coop
April 2nd, 2011 at 10:50am
BELLY JO.:
it shouldn't even be all about what you wear. you can express yourself by just being yourself

thumbs up!
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
April 2nd, 2011 at 11:39pm
I wear whatever I want and I just allow my personality to shine through and it's fun.
Trillie
Trillie
April 10th, 2011 at 04:13pm
I hate having a uniform. And it's not even about the fact that you can't express yourself, its about the fact that it's totally unpractical! if it rains your shirt goes see-through and your screwed for the rest of the day, you get people telling you what colour bra your currently wearing. And if its sunny you practically melt! if its windy you blazer goes all over the show. make a useful school uniform!!!!
Trillie
Trillie
April 10th, 2011 at 04:14pm
I hate having a uniform. And it's not even about the fact that you can't express yourself, its about the fact that it's totally unpractical! if it rains your shirt goes see-through and your screwed for the rest of the day, you get people telling you what colour bra your currently wearing. And if its sunny you practically melt! if its windy you blazer goes all over the show. make a useful school uniform!!!!
Deernt.
Rotting On Here
Deernt.

Mibba Blog
April 10th, 2011 at 09:12pm
Dress codes aren't even that bad. I mean, first of all, all the rival schools in my town had dress codes but kids could still accessorize according to their freedoms. And I would have LOVED a dress code- I would always know what to wear every morning. It wouldn't be a hassle hahaa
Mike Dirnt.
Mike Dirnt.

Mibba
April 12th, 2011 at 09:13pm
At my school, there's no real freedom uniform-wise until you reach sixth form (which i'm at now) where we can choose our own blouses and skirts/trousers etc etc. however, the uniform is put in place to make our school look smart so they can have more students enrol and it is so much easier knowing what to wear in the morning and it can cut out bullying to a degree. we have quite strict regulations on hair/make up/accessories but i don't feel that people walk around my school like clones at all, we all find ways to pick ourselves out from the "crowd" as much as i hate saying that and i think the uniform is a good thing. plus i would run out of clothes to wear so quickly if i had to wear my own clothes every day.
Rainy Days
Jackass
Rainy Days
April 13th, 2011 at 12:11am
I go to a private school. please don't stereotype. we have to wear a uniform...but i kinda like it. when you talk to someone, you don't look them up and down and go, oh....wow.....that's interesting....i mean, we're all wearing the same thing, so....
but i like to personalize mine by wearing cool shoes, socks, bracelets, nail polish, necklaces, hairstyles. ours isn't extremely strict.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
April 13th, 2011 at 11:39am
Trillie:

What would you advocate as a uniform, then? If your shirt goes see-through, wear a jumper over it. Or buy an umbrella. Simple.
Register