Have You Ever Lost Interest In Green Day?

AuthorMessage
to_me_its_nothing
Geek
to_me_its_nothing
April 17th, 2006 at 06:51pm
+Maiku-San+:
Mrs. Joey Armstrong:
Jesus Christ Supermarket:
Billie Joe doesn't write lyrics.
And his lyrics aren't very good.
Let's all get over it.

If he doesn't write lyrics, how can they not be very good? Confused

Yeah, If he's PAYING people to write them for him then they shouldn't suck.
(which they don't anyways)

..i don't get it.
well.durr__hXc™
King For A Couple Of Days
well.durr__hXc™
greendayfreek14:
ya wat does emo mean people use it all the time
Rites of Spring is emo.

Fugazi is my favorite emo band.
ok back on topic now. :]
Expressway To Yr Skull
Expressway To Yr Skull
+Maiku-San+:
Mrs. Joey Armstrong:
Billie Joe doesn't write lyrics.
And his lyrics aren't very good.
Let's all get over it.

If he doesn't write lyrics, how can they not be very good? Confused

Yeah, If he's PAYING people to write them for him then they shouldn't suck.
(which they don't anyways)
Jesus christ, i typed it quickly and left out a word, as soon as i realized i edited it.
You're all awfully quick to jump down my throat. Whata partay.
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
greendayfreek14:
ya wat does emo mean people use it all the time
a la urban dictionary-
"Emo" is not short for "Emotional." "Emo" does not mean Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, despite what MTV has lead you to believe in the last few years. "Emo" is not sidebangs, tight pants, and male vocalists who sing like little girls about their failed relationships. "Emo" is not the use of diluted, meaningless metaphors and similes such as "My arms are like pinecones," and most definitely is not the rampant use of words such as "autumn," "heart," "knife," "bleeding," "leaves," and "razorblade."

I just thought I'd clear that up after all of these "definitions" in which I have encountered an unbelievable amount of people who try to pass off their blatantly false pretenses as fact, and are slowly infecting others with their high-horse, holier-than-thou bullshit. Because honestly, with your ridiculous definitions, Beethoven, George Gershwin, and Britney Spears are/was "emo bands."

Now, onto the real definition.

In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as "Emotive Hardcore," spearheaded by Rites Of Spring. Harder-core-than-thou kids, who swore by Dischord Records a la Minor Threat, actually coined the term "Emo" as something of a put-down for the kids who really liked Rites Of Spring, Indian Summer and this new wave of "Emotive" Hardcore bands. That's right, "Emo" was once not something kids called themselves. The field exploded outwards from there - Level-Plane Records has always been the most famous Emo label. Acts like Yaphet Kotto, I Hate Myself, Saetia, Hot Cross, A Day In Black And White, Funeral Diner, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, You And I, and hosts of others came in the next decade. Most emo bands have since broken up, but there's still the occasional hold-out (again, the majority of Level-Plane Records' roster has been a procession of emo acts). Like most DIY hardcore/punk of the time, a majority found its way onto vinyl and not much else. Some people consider bands like Fugazi, and later Sunny Day Real Estate, a progression of emo, but personally, I don't quite follow that philosophy.

Often, more recently, this gets intertwined with post-hardcore, and understandably so - that's nothing to make an issue of, since well shit, at least it's close.

Since the late 90s, though, bands have been emerging in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, and the thousands of their clones. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing an article about them, decided "Well, fuck, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these bands "emo" - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock..." and the spiral continued downwards into the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is "emo."

Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bullshit, as 99% of bands make music to illicit emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely all-encompassing genre from classical to opera to pop to rap.

Hope that helps.

Taking Back Sunday, Senses Fail, and My Chemical Romance falls under the "horrible pop rock" genre, not the emo genre.

Rites of Spring is emo.

Shocked Shocked Shocked I didn't know that.
razzledgirl
Jackass
razzledgirl

Mibba
April 18th, 2006 at 10:28am
i still love Green Day, but there music is really easy to play and all the same basically, i love them but...... they need to make there music more...i dunno.....but i seriously also have a problem with all these people becomeing there fans and saying they know everything, in some ways i do not mind new fans but....if they say things stupid like that then i son't like it......im more into H.I.M. Cradle of Filth, and Anti-flag, and TECHNO now, and i havn't listend to a Green Day song for a month.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 18th, 2006 at 11:01am
i have fads where i'll go weeks and weeks without listening to GD because its so boring now.
Homosexual Spencer
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Homosexual Spencer

Mibba
April 18th, 2006 at 11:04am
It is wrong to lose intrest in green day
Bittersweet World
Banned
Bittersweet World

Blog
April 18th, 2006 at 11:08am
TreCoolistsogeil:
Heartbreak In Stereo:
Ive never "lost interest".

How can I just stop loving a band Ive held so close to my heart since I was 5 when I used to fall asleep to them for example.

Sure I understand why a lot of you do but daymn. Everyone changes, including Green Day. I like how A LOT of you cant see the changes between Dookie to Insomniac, Insomniac to Nimrod, Nimrod to Warning, ect. EVERY ALBUM HAS BEEN A CHANGE. Just because American Idiot is the newest album you all pay it off, and yeah its a bit more "pop-ier" and its a lot more 'edited' then their other albums but its still.... -sighs-

So once again, Im not "over" Green Day and never will be.

Aww .. that warms my Green Day filled heart Laughing Hug

lmfao I know, how touching I can be. Hug
!basketCASE!
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
!basketCASE!
April 18th, 2006 at 11:08am
i think it is impossible to lose interewst in green day
Bittersweet World
Banned
Bittersweet World

Blog
April 18th, 2006 at 11:10am
Heartbreak In Stereo:
TreCoolistsogeil:
Heartbreak In Stereo:

How can I just stop loving a band Ive held so close to my heart since I was 5 when I used to fall asleep to them for example.

Sure I understand why a lot of you do but daymn. Everyone changes, including Green Day. I like how A LOT of you cant see the changes between Dookie to Insomniac, Insomniac to Nimrod, Nimrod to Warning, ect. EVERY ALBUM HAS BEEN A CHANGE. Just because American Idiot is the newest album you all pay it off, and yeah its a bit more "pop-ier" and its a lot more 'edited' then their other albums but its still.... -sighs-

Aww .. that warms my Green Day filled heart Laughing Hug

lmfao I know, how touching I can be. Hug

xx-daa-xx:

Ohh...is THAT why I can play it...and I thought I was just getting good at playing the guitar Embarassed oh well, I still have hope!

Learn The Living End songs, Chris Cheney is brilliant. Well if you like Green Day you'll love TLE. Cool

!basketCASE!:
i think it is impossible to lose interewst in green day

I think its impossible that you will ever learn to spell.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 18th, 2006 at 11:12am
i am into other music at the moment.
Lissie!
Falling In Love With The Board
Lissie!

Blog
April 18th, 2006 at 11:13am
Well, I still have a huge interest in Green Day, I always have, but it's periods where I really feel like needing them, and that's when I'm really hysteric.
And then there are periods when I just... well when it's kind of redundant, I don't really feel that "Oh holy shit I LOVE Green Day" when I say I do or so. Even though I do, but it has turned redundant. Like, repeating (well I admit Razz) sitting talking to posters, dreaming about them justcause I'm used to, it has turned to a routine. But I will never lose interest in them.

Cause I love Green Day, even if I right now don't get the "oh holy shit-feeling", you know.
rage;love;clark
Geek
rage;love;clark
April 18th, 2006 at 11:22am
greendayfreek14:
rage;love;clark i like you, can i add you to my friends list

i like me too, i want to add me to my friends list lol
Warning_iNSOMNIACiDIOT
Geek
Warning_iNSOMNIACiDIOT
April 18th, 2006 at 01:53pm
Heartbreak In Stereo:

you have a very good point there. i think you converted me --angel music in the background--. but i still think that they shouldn`t have the movie come out.
Rafael Nadal
Addict
Rafael Nadal
April 18th, 2006 at 01:56pm
I have breaks now and again when i listen to other stuff but i am still totally into them Very Happy
GreenDayAngel
Idiot
GreenDayAngel
April 18th, 2006 at 02:01pm
Against All Authority:
I have breaks now and again when i listen to other stuff but i am still totally into them Very Happy

thats like me...i think if i constantly listened to them all the time like i used to i get bored
Fox
Fox
April 18th, 2006 at 02:02pm
I think that GSB made me lose interest in Green Day. People here love them too much and listen to them alone, and that is just sickening really.

And less we forget the fact that they are sellouts. They are everywhere nowadays, and it's just absolutely tiring.

But sure. I still listen to them once in a while. Most of their music is good and that is what matters.
Alter-Ego
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Alter-Ego
April 18th, 2006 at 02:07pm
Cos i listen to heavier stuff now and green day kinda bore me now. I wouldnt call them sell outs, just successful. I still think that they are a good band and they will become legends
(Sic)
Idiot
(Sic)
April 18th, 2006 at 05:23pm
Fox:
I think that GSB made me lose interest in Green Day. People here love them too much and listen to them alone, and that is just sickening really.

And less we forget the fact that they are sellouts. They are everywhere nowadays, and it's just absolutely tiring.

But sure. I still listen to them once in a while. Most of their music is good and that is what matters.

Yeah, GSB did contribute into this, I mean GSB is an awesome site and all but it's filled with 'teenies' that seem to lower intrest levels. Also, the Other Bands section introduces us into different types and genres of music. GSB got me out of Green Day, and into Slipknot, which is aweome.
gdaywolfbane
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
gdaywolfbane
April 18th, 2006 at 05:26pm
perhaps its all the teenies, that dont really know GD. i mean in my opinion GD aren't sellouts or anything,it just gets tiring when other people like teenies constantly ramble on about it. and GD are like all over the place. overexpossion maybe? i dunno...
Register