August 2nd, 2009 at 10:42am
PinkFloyd
Geek
PinkFloyd
August 2nd, 2009 at 10:45am
Twaddle:
fatty:
chump:

what has being black and all that to do with being a good musician? we all should stop about skin colours 'cause the conversation about it just leads to more seperation
so heres the support: I agree with you, Northern Reject.
selling billions of records and having fans who follow you dont make you a good musician. of course now one should answer the question: what makes you a good musician? - that can never be answered 'cause its a subjective thing.
i think he was a good entertainer... and all. but its always the same when someone dies. people go crazy, run into cd shops and buy cds, though they didnt care about the artist before. its ridiculous. we all know he had great singles and? what about the other songs? im sure not half of the people know them. (i dont either.)
i went out on friday and they played 3 of his songs in the club. i never heard them there before. yea, its nice and people should remember him. and i also heard the news and thought: god, michael jacksons dead... its like when elvis died. (not that i was there when he died)

but all in all people make a big thing out of it and its always more of a media thing than anything else. i mean, come on: tickets for his funeral? the last picture of him in the ambulance? - thats a disgusting thing. they even had to take a pic of him dying!
and now that hes dead no ones allowed to say anything bad about him anymore and that sucks. people should be more honest and dont just follow the crowd and go buy michael jackson shirts etc. now...
its exactely the same with buying band shirts at H&M of bands you havent heard a single song from (ac/dc, rolling stones, led zeppelin), cause its "cool" to wear them. and now its cool to like michael jackson...

i love the beatles and elvis, but i also think that they are highly overrated. all the big bands mostly are...
i just say: lyrics (cause thats what matters to me @ good musician)

I agree with you, i don't care if the whole world bought MJ's album, as long as people do not overreact to it, good lyrics, good musician, thats exactly what i look for but it's pretty much what MJ wasn't, which is why i wanted to say something.
i know it's all the media coverage, im not directly lashing MJ it's not his fault people are doing it, i think The Rolling Stones are also overrated aswell, they had one good album, which doen't mean to say i don't like them, atleast they did something great once, which is more that could be said for plenty of bands, some people don't make any good Arts at all during there life.

And the Kings of Leon's most recent album was there worst, i can't believe they got big from that album, alough everybody has forgoten about them now really, they were the seasons rage, i doubt they will be remembered that well in 10 years.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
August 2nd, 2009 at 11:14am
I can believe they became huge from the lastest album. They sold out to commercial sounding music.

They appealed to the masses by getting rid of everything that made them awesome.
PinkFloyd
Geek
PinkFloyd
August 6th, 2009 at 05:26pm
Yes, which is sad, just shows how down graded you have to go to get popular these days Sad i wish decent music was apreciated more like it used to be, I dread 2010 upwards, music gets more terrible by the decade.
Viva la Jenna!
Jackass
Viva la Jenna!

Mibba
September 2nd, 2009 at 10:44am
I guess I'm the only one who's gonna stick up for Fall Out Boy here on this, but I like them, they have some good stuff.

But Yeah. James Blunt. Just... wtf man?
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
September 2nd, 2009 at 11:03am
I like them too. There last two albums weren't as popular as Under The Cork Tree. So, I don't necessarily think they are overrated.
clark
GSBitch
clark
September 2nd, 2009 at 11:06am
how is james blunt overrated wtf hes never even mentioned anymore
Last American Girl
Geek
Last American Girl

Blog
September 10th, 2009 at 09:15am
Fall Out Boy.
Bring Me The Horizon.
Evanesence.
All Time Low.
The Sex Pistols.
Blink 182.
Rafael Nadal
Addict
Rafael Nadal
September 10th, 2009 at 06:51pm
Last American Girl:
Fall Out Boy.
Bring Me The Horizon.
Evanesence.
All Time Low.
The Sex Pistols.
Blink 182.

Very Happy
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 11th, 2009 at 12:58pm
Liking a band doesn't mean they aren't overrated.

I like Fall Out Boy, too, but when they first came out many people acted like they were God's gift to music and mankind. Yeah, their music is fun, but it's nothing revolutionary.

But, like I said, when they first came out. You don't really hear about them anymore, which I think takes them out of the category of overrated.
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
September 11th, 2009 at 02:51pm
iViva la Andrea!:

I like Fall Out Boy, too, but when they first came out many people acted like they were God's gift to music and mankind. Yeah, their music is fun, but it's nothing revolutionary.

But, like I said, when they first came out. You don't really hear about them anymore, which I think takes them out of the category of overrated.

wat who mentioned anything about that
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 11th, 2009 at 03:22pm
streetwalker:
iViva la Andrea!:

wat who mentioned anything about that

Viva la Jenna!:
I guess I'm the only one who's gonna stick up for Fall Out Boy here on this, but I like them, they have some good stuff.

May have thought she meant something other than what she did mean, but I read it as "they aren't overrated 'cause I like them." Basically. Dno
Music to my ears
Idiot
Music to my ears
September 12th, 2009 at 01:54am
Red Hot Chilli Peppers,
they copied Faith No More and Mr.Bungle
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
September 12th, 2009 at 08:02am
FNM:
Red Hot Chilli Peppers,
they copied Faith No More and Mr.Bungle

LOL

Seeing as RHCP were around at the same time as Faith No More, achieving success at the same time too, while Mr Bungle weren't formed until the late 80s I think you should reconsider your argument.

Thats just like saying Stone Roses copied Happy Mondays.

In fact the more avantgarde and out-there FNM got, the more commercial and softer RHCP became. Work that one out.
Music to my ears
Idiot
Music to my ears
September 12th, 2009 at 09:50am
I disagree, just because they were both around the same doesn't mean that RHCP couldn't have copied Faith No More and Mr.Bungle.

I think that one of the reasons Faith No More became more 'out-there' was to help distinguish themselves from RHCP& other bands similar to them. And if you look at Faith No More when their album 'The Real Thing' came out, RHCP seem to have a pretty similar style to Faith No More with the way they acted on stage, what they wore and the whole funk-metal.

I'm fairly sure that RHCP pretty much copied the name of their album Californication from Mr.Bungle's soon to be released California, but hey maybe that was a coinsidence?

Either way, there was some copying going on which I guess is okay but for RHCP (well more Anthony Keidis) to remove Mr.Bungle from festivals I think is just low.

But you can think wat you like, personally I think that RHCP are a much less influential rock band and that they were slightly influenced by FNM&Mr.Bungle.

However I still like their music.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
September 12th, 2009 at 12:48pm
What you've got to remember is that FNM had two distinct eras: Patton and pre-Patton. With The Real Thing as the first Patton album, their sound and look was starting to morph around that. RHCP had that kinda style for most of their career, just refined it as time went on and started to write more and more decent funk-metal songs. They didn't immediately have that style after The Real Thing came out, they'd been doing the same thing for years. Mother's Milk was actually released and recorded at the exact same time as The Real Thing. If you're going to go in any direction I'd say that Patton-era FNM was beginning to copy RHCP stylewise, but that could've just been a record company thing to buy into that whole scene.

In fact that's where the fued came from. Kieids accused Patton of stealing his style which lead him to start talking shit and mocking their history at a Mr Bungle show. To be fair if I was Kiedis I'd have chucked them off the festivals too.

In the end though Faith No More are definitely more influential, and I definitely prefer them more, but RHCP are unarguably the bigger band who've also had some classic modern rock albums. I don't think its even worth comparing the two personally, I don't see many similarities in most of their music.
Music to my ears
Idiot
Music to my ears
September 12th, 2009 at 09:35pm
I think that their albums Introduce Yourself and We Care Alot sounded fairly different to The Real Thing. The Real Thing was more diverse and the other two albums had mainly the same music styles. Pre-patton FNM had kind of an 80s feel a bit like the Beastie Boys.

When you said mocking their history at a Mr.Bungle show, was that the Halloween show where they dressed up as them and sung their songs really badly? If so then yeh I agree that was pretty nasty but I still found it verrryyy amusing Very Happy

And yeh I guess RHCP are bigger but I just admire FNM&Mr.Bungle a lot more.
padfoot
Jackass
padfoot

Blog
September 13th, 2009 at 07:30am
Dreamer.:
Yes, which is sad, just shows how down graded you have to go to get popular these days Sad i wish decent music was apreciated more like it used to be, I dread 2010 upwards, music gets more terrible by the decade.

So true! Have you looked at the charts these days? It's not good.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 13th, 2009 at 12:29pm
"Good" is a relative term.
Musical taste is completely relative. Just because you don't consider some of the top musicians of today to be talented doesn't mean they AREN'T talented and don't have anything to offer to the musical world.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
September 14th, 2009 at 05:31am
But come on, have you actually looked at the singles chart recently?

A load of faceless rap/hip hop/garage artists and generic pop stars without the slightest ounce of talent punctuated by the occasional release from a decent musical act.

No wonder so many older acts are reuniting or ending a hiatus with so much shite clogging up the charts. Touring and live shows are the main thing in music at the moment, which is why the reason completely evades me when the Government decide to shut clubs and venues down and impose a load of restrictions on the ones that survive.
Register