Banning skinny models.

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 23rd, 2006 at 02:29pm
I think that's pretty much the stupidest thing I've heard all day. I hate when people call me anorexic. I happen to eat a lot, and have an extremely high metabolism. It's inherited. Hey, as the Dead Kennedys put it, a growing girl needs her lunch. Lots of people I know think I'm some bulimic freak who purges after every meal, which is really annoying. Some people are just unaturally skinny and all of a sudden everyone thinks we're a bad example. Of course, if you are some bulimic freak, then that isn't a very good example to set, but why are skinny people singled out? Not only in a good way like on cat walks, but in a bad way, like this. Ridiculous.
crimson_rose_91
Jackass
crimson_rose_91
September 23rd, 2006 at 05:56pm
Anji:
I think that's pretty much the stupidest thing I've heard all day. I hate when people call me anorexic. I happen to eat a lot, and have an extremely high metabolism. It's inherited. Hey, as the Dead Kennedys put it, a growing girl needs her lunch. Lots of people I know think I'm some bulimic freak who purges after every meal, which is really annoying. Some people are just unaturally skinny and all of a sudden everyone thinks we're a bad example. Of course, if you are some bulimic freak, then that isn't a very good example to set, but why are skinny people singled out? Not only in a good way like on cat walks, but in a bad way, like this. Ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with naturally thin people, they should still be allowed on the catwalk. But I think that there should be a balance between curvey and slim, meaning curvy women are also models. A lot of the models do starve themselves and undergo tough workouts, and that can't be healthy.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 23rd, 2006 at 06:08pm
crimson_rose_91:

I don't have a problem with naturally thin people, they should still be allowed on the catwalk. But I think that there should be a balance between curvey and slim, meaning curvy women are also models. A lot of the models do starve themselves and undergo tough workouts, and that can't be healthy.

Why should your personal Preference for curvey models effect the designers? Why is it assumed that all curvy models are healthy? Thats completely untrue. They can also suffer from eating problems and they can also do cocaine and other drugs.
Watoosh!
Geek
Watoosh!
September 23rd, 2006 at 08:43pm
banning skinny models would be just as stupid as not having any heavier models. it's still setting one example for all the girls watching, and it's not like it's exactly healthy to be semi-fat either Rolling Eyes

and like someone else said, some people are naturally slim. they're not anorexics or anything, they're just slim. like me, for example. i eat constantly and i'm not exactly what you'd call fat (my bmi is like, 19 or something, if anyone knows what that means).
Pretty Like Drugs
King For A Couple Of Days
Pretty Like Drugs
September 23rd, 2006 at 09:44pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
crimson_rose_91:

Why should your personal Preference for curvey models effect the designers? Why is it assumed that all curvy models are healthy? Thats completely untrue. They can also suffer from eating problems and they can also do cocaine and other drugs.
I thought you were leaving drugs out of the equation -_-
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 23rd, 2006 at 09:51pm
Anji:
I can relate to that. People have no idea how much I love my food and pig out, they all seem to think I have issues with eating just because I APPEAR to be too thin.
No, I'm not for the ban, it wouldn't be fair to the models whose are natural builds are small, and there are those who do find slim people beautiful and appropriate for modelling their designs. However I would like to see curvier models. Not for them to take over and for thin models to not be used anymore, but a good balance of both can't hurt, can it?
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 23rd, 2006 at 10:13pm
There are alot of issues of censorship and misdirected blaming on this topic. However the truth remains that the fashion industry does a have share in the blame in the problems that arise due to the skinny lifestyle being promoted. No, it is not ALL their fault, but for their share I think they should take responsibility. I_worship_tre_Cool is right, you're only as influenced as you choose to be. However eating disorders are serious and harmful, I don't want young girls to put themselves through such experiences just because it's common belief that being thin is beautiful. Once again, I'm not wholly blaming it on the media, or the fashion industry, or even celebrities. But all these different aspects DO have a certain amount of impact, they are all around us and hard to ignore. You have to consider, I_worship_tre_Cool, that people CAN be mindless media followers, not everybody has a strong sense of self-worth and can easily ignore the rest of the world's standards for beauty. You say designers have the right to express themselves however they want, they have the right use skinny models. Are you saying for your art, other people should suffer? I agree with non-censorship, but how would you feel if you know there are young girls out there who are fighting this senseless, unnecessary inner battle of trying to become beautiful, and are obsessively weighing themselves day and night, throwing up the food they pretentiously eat in front of others, or just straight out refuse to eat because the gorgeous models YOU put the beautiful clothes on are thinner than them? Once again, I acknowledge that other factors do have a hand in eating disorders. But that's not to say you DON'T have a direct hand it them, either. Yes, new standards may come and new problems may arise. That's why I say, put models on the catwalk with a range of builds. That way something will appeal to everybody, and the image of beauty won't be restricted to small frames and no extra body fat. No, don't start the whole why-should-your-preferences-overrule-those-of-others' thing again, because that's not what I'm saying, that is not what portraying a more realistic image is about. You cannot possibly tell me that EVERYONE wants incredibly skinny models, and this way nobody will be singled out due to prejudice
the dobious character
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
the dobious character
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:08pm
I agree 110%. Just because you have big boobs, and other things doesn't mean that you are fat, it means you're lucky. If a guy is shown a curvy girl in longire, and a girl wearing the same thing, only she's the size of Lindsay Lohan, who is most likely to turn him on? The girl with the curves. If your not at a healthy weight, and or your body mass is mostly fat , that's different, you build mucles, eat healthier, stay active, and if you don't loose weight right away, but is working out and stuff, it doesn't mean you gained fat, it's mucles.
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:10pm
That's stupid that they get banned for having a certain figure. Thats just like banning plus size models off the run way. JUST because they have certain body types. I hate that just because someone is skinny or "fat" they did somethnig really worng to get there. Like if you see me and I look skinnier then I did a month before, I MUST have turned anorexic or bullemic. Or if I get a little bigger in the face, chubby wise, I must be eating too much and not excersizing, OR depressed and eating out of depression.

Its bull shit banning people off their JOBS because they can control their weight. I dont support anorexia, but models dont do that. Sure SOME selected fews might throw up out of insecurity, but not all models do that.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:18pm
You do all realise that the girls who are being banned are really really dangerously thin? Not just a little bit thin, but "Oh my god we can see her bones sticking out" thin.

Its not because they have a certain body type Rolling Eyes because trust me, if you skin is basically draping off your skin, its not natural.
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:22pm
Coff:
You do all realise that the girls who are being banned are really really dangerously thin? Not just a little bit thin, but "Oh my god we can see her bones sticking out" thin.

Its not because they have a certain body type Rolling Eyes because trust me, if you skin is basically draping off your skin, its not natural.

I didnt know that. I gues it wou;d be fine banning them, if they put them into intensive care and got them up to a natural weight and then put them back on the run way. But keep an eye on them.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:26pm
Love my insanity:
I didnt know that. I gues it wou;d be fine banning them, if they put them into intensive care and got them up to a natural weight and then put them back on the run way. But keep an eye on them.

What, you mean the fashion week organisers and promoters?

Well, I really think that they wouldn't care too much as to put them into hospital. Unfortunatly, in any business, its about the money, they just want models to show off their clothes, and make them money. Banning the dangerously thin models was a good move on their part, but I really doubt they'd care so much as to put them into hospital.
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:28pm
Coff:
Love my insanity:

What, you mean the fashion week organisers and promoters?

Well, I really think that they wouldn't care too much as to put them into hospital. Unfortunatly, in any business, its about the money, they just want models to show off their clothes, and make them money. Banning the dangerously thin models was a good move on their part, but I really doubt they'd care so much as to put them into hospital.

Oh I know its all about money with these people. Just get the clothes on them and make money. It doesnt matter to them if some girl passes out at home from lack of food and energy, as long as she can stand on the runway long enough to show off clothes. But I just dont understnad why take them off if its just going to keep them that way. They arent helping anybody but them selves and it kills me.
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:33pm
Coff:

I have a friend Sam. She's quite thin, is 'seriously underweight' in the words of the school nurse after having taken her body mass. She gets called names along the lines of 'anorexic' and 'Twiggy'. However, I know what and how she eats. It's a very balanced diet, and she always eats in moderation. Not perfect, she does include some junk food in her diet, but not too much or two little. My point is, some people ARE naturally thin like that. She may not have bones sticking out but according to the BMI she's not normal, either.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:56pm
Capri:
I have a friend Sam. She's quite thin, is 'seriously underweight' in the words of the school nurse after having taken her body mass. She gets called names along the lines of 'anorexic' and 'Twiggy'. However, I know what and how she eats. It's a very balanced diet, and she always eats in moderation. Not perfect, she does include some junk food in her diet, but not too much or two little. My point is, some people ARE naturally thin like that. She may not have bones sticking out but according to the BMI she's not normal, either.

As I said, when it gets to the point where you skin just drapes off your bones, that is no longer normal. You even said that she doesn't have bones sticking out, so we're not talking about someone like her, are we?
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 24th, 2006 at 12:09am
Coff:
Capri:

As I said, when it gets to the point where you skin just drapes off your bones, that is no longer normal. You even said that she doesn't have bones sticking out, so we're not talking about someone like her, are we?
As I'm sure you're aware, they are not judging the models by their looks but body mass. If someone like Sam were to go up for selection, she'd be unfairly turned away
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 24th, 2006 at 12:10am
Oh and just REALLY randomly, I mentioned Naomi Watts before. I meant Naomi Campbell.
-_-
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
September 24th, 2006 at 08:51am
Capri:
Coff:
Capri:

As I'm sure you're aware, they are not judging the models by their looks but body mass. If someone like Sam were to go up for selection, she'd be unfairly turned away

Or at least she would be if her BM was under 18.5

Personally I think they're going about this the wrong way. They should not be banning skinny models -that's just sending out the message its wrong when it's not, some people are naturally like that- they should be encouraging fuller shapes onto the cat walk as well as thin ones.
It was a bad move for the fashion world to decide to only take thin models, and its an equally bad one to only take cruvy girls, there needs to be a fair balance.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 24th, 2006 at 08:59am
Love my insanity:
Coff:

Thats not true. Any model with a BMI of 18 or less was banned. 5 models were. They were all 5 ft. 7 in. tall and weighed less than 121. 7 lb.s (maybe .5, cant remember). People with Ectomorphic body types (which is very common and typical amoung models) have a difficult time gaining weight and building muscle mass, which can lead to a considerably low BMI. This is very common amoung models, alot of modeling agencies look for this trait when they consider giving models a contract. That was not taken into consideration. BMI is not accurate for everyone.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
September 24th, 2006 at 09:55am
there shouldnt be an outright ban on skinny models. it wouldnt be fair on people who are naturally skinny. it also would give out the impression that being naturally skinny is 'bad'. there should be a mix of curvy/ larger models and skinny ones. that way everyone is represented by the fashion industry and designers might start designing fashionable/attractive clothes for larger/curvier women like myself.
Register