King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
February 17th, 2007 at 04:09am
WeFoundTheDuck:
Lucifers Angel:
WeFoundTheDuck:
sampalletband:
WeFoundTheDuck:

Pills are definately the easy way out, so that people don't have to address the issue at hand.

I'm sorry but pills are NOT an easy way out. Meds help people get to a point where they can function normally and where therapy can actually help. Therapy without meds for people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness is useless. If you are so depressed that you want to die just talking to your therapist isn't going to work.

ADD and ADHD can be helped best with a combo of meds and therapy. The meds help the person and the therapy helps them learn new ways to cope.
I don't believe that pills are necessary for treatment. I really don't. I've coped my entire life without them, and my lows are fucking terrible.

I'm not saying that no one should be on anti-depressants. But I don't believe that every last person in the world should be on drugs, considering that with counseling they could work through their problems.

you dont believe that medication is needed for illnesses like ADHD and ADD? Well, all i want to say to that is unless YOU have got ADHD/ADD you cannot say how much better the children can cope with the hyperactivity! Before my son had his meds he was uncontrolable, but now he will sit in class and not hit other children, he would hit his teacher, me and his sister and brother, yes therapy is good but it doesnt help with the headaches after a ADHD/ADD fit, my sons school work lvl has doubled and he now deosnt have to go to a school for children with ADHD, and surely thats got to be a good thing? that way then there is a place at that school for children who's perants wont medicate them,

counseling doesnt help every illness and it would be wrong to assume that
I never said that.

I'm saying that people expect medication to solve every last problem, that you take a pill and POOF you're better. I know for a fact that it doesn't always work like that. Yes, certain people need medication, but there are quite a few who don't.

sorry my fault i didnt read properly, and yes i do agree we do seem to want to take tablets for every single illness, its like we go to the dr's with a cold and expect antibiotics,
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 17th, 2007 at 09:49am
I don't think medicine is right for everyone.
Of course, I've taken a lot of medication over my life, but I do think that sometimes you can go without it. Sometimes, I think its better when you can have a headache and not be reliant upon pills. The wrong way to deal with depression is to stick someone on pills and send them home. I mean, you need so much more than that. And I think you need to want to get better. It may seem crazy, but I actually believe that wanting to get better or wanting to quit drinking makes you more likely to actually do it. Because if a depressed person has no desire to actually feel well again, pills won't magically help them.
Boo Radley
Idiot
Boo Radley

Blog
November 28th, 2007 at 09:17pm
I've never been diagnosed, but looking at the first page of this, and those lists of symptoms, i think i've probably had it. It's sort of reccurring, the first time it lasted more than a month, the shortest time was probably a day(although looking back on that day i sometimes worry that perhaps the most serious suicidal thoughts in my life and the "realisation" that there was nothing in this world for me and that i didn't belong and wasn't wanted or needed here was brought about by a simple lack of sleep the night before, as the next day it was all wiped away, and for several days it felt like i was floating along on a happy-cloud, like imaginary, unbelievably effective anti-depressants, with no events to coincide with these feelings. That was a strange few days).

My brother is ten and reckons he's depressed. I can't judge it, i can't feel what he's going through, but at it's worst he was almost constantly crying, and scratching his face and leaving marks. Last year my parents sent him to a psycaitrist, who, after two expensive sessions, told him to get some new interests and make some new friends. Around this time i was going through the first "session", but i didn't have therapy, as i never really comfirmed in my head that it was something i needed to bother my parents about.

Out of the list, i had:

Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down"
Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
Thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
Restlessness, irritability.

Gosh. I only had to delete two things.

I got out of it through the help of a casual friend who was the only one who noticed that i wasn't doing too well, or the only one who i deigned to tell, and is now one of my best friends. She should be a therapist. Long phone calls solved first session.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
November 30th, 2007 at 09:35am
I think depression is one of the heardest to deal with issues of the 21stcentury.
BUT i hate people who pretend to be depressed to look cool.
I HATE that!
Verbatim.
King For A Couple Of Days
Verbatim.
December 2nd, 2007 at 07:07pm
I think everyone is depressed at some point in their lives. All sorts of every day issues can bring someone down.

I know i've been depressed a lot in the last few years, but wether it's enough for me to be actually diagnosed with depression, i don't know. It tends to come and go, sometimes it's only there for a few days, sometimes it stays with me for months.

I'd never go to the doctor for it though, I don't think i've got an actual problem with it. I dunno.

But, like yellowstickerface said, it's stupid to pretend you're depressed because it's the 'in thing'. I think it's insulting to people who really are depressed, I mean, you wouldn't go around pretending you had cancer, so why go around pretending to have depression? It makes no sense to me.
girl almighty
GSBitch
girl almighty
December 2nd, 2007 at 09:35pm
yellowstickerface:
I think depression is one of the heardest to deal with issues of the 21stcentury.
BUT i hate people who pretend to be depressed to look cool.
I HATE that!
I don't think people actually do 'pretend' to be depressed; they tend to see that depressed people have the attention they want or feel like they deserve too, and they get sad about that, and begin to show some signs of depression themselves. It's not that you can actually go "I'll be depressed because it's a trend" because it just doesn't work; you can't show signs that are anything like depression unless you're actually a little low. Even if the reason you feel you need to "get" depression is low-self esteem and thus feeling you're ignored and not noticed enough, that's still something there.
Raina Lupa
Addict
Raina Lupa
December 3rd, 2007 at 01:21pm
I've got a doctor's appointment today, as I need him to certify I had a valid reason for failing part of my uni course.

I have a feeling I might end up being diagnosed with depression from this. I've been very low since some events happened almost a year ago (causing the upset which resulted in my failing grades) and I have a lot of the physical and behavioural signs of depression as well, but I have never seen a doctor about them.

He may pick up on it today, I'm not sure...if he doesn't, my boyfriend thinks I should tell him myself how I've been for the past few months, and I feel he may push the subject as he's been increasingly worried and protective with me recently.
suzie_k
Falling In Love With The Board
suzie_k
December 4th, 2007 at 05:06pm
So since I last posted in here I have been back to the doctors twice.
He put me on new meds. Which was 10mg or lexapro. But it realy did nothing and I was told my mood was alot more erratic. So I went back again 2 weeks ago and he put me on the 20mg of the same. But as of yet it shoes no signs of working.
I also have to go to counsling and the shrink again.
Drummergirl
Idiot
Drummergirl
December 12th, 2007 at 04:12am
my mom's suffered depression and so has my brother. My friend( a year older than me) has gone into a depression. we use to be really good friends until one day we just stopped. And i learned she went into depression. So im trying to be close with her again. im just trying to let her know im there and i always will be. That's the best thing i could think of for depression sometimes being around your most close friends or family can really help. that's all i gotta say
Mass-suicide
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Mass-suicide
December 13th, 2007 at 01:19am
i was there always it turns on and off for me, yeah..... i was one of those kids who were bullied like hell, i haven't tryed suicide but it seems like a back door out you know, i do slit my wrists though ,thats my addiction, pill don;t work either, i know a person who toke so much ,cause they didn;t want to feel it anymore .. yeah they died Sad it sucks we have to die, shrivle up in pain, because bullies and other ppl sasifaction. In the end if ur thinkin of suicide in the end they win, you don;t want them to win!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus we have so much peer pressure now!
iwannabesedated91
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
iwannabesedated91
December 13th, 2007 at 02:26pm
i have it.
i'm taking zoloft for it.
depression really sucks, it makes you tired and uninterested in things.
trisha_goes_rawr
Geek
trisha_goes_rawr
December 13th, 2007 at 11:08pm
i've had depression. it really effects a lot in your body. i felt physically sick and physical pain from it. i got to the point where i didn't want to live anymore, and it's just really not a good thing..then i got put on zoloft, and that made my panic attacks worse,so i had to get off that. but with time maybe a few months or so, it just dissapeared, but it also helped getting close to my family, watching movies with them at night, doing fun family things, and of course the friends were a huge help. took me out places and just got my mind on other things. but its not that easy for most people. they have people who will do that, but it doesn't help at all. i guess the main thing there is, is medication really. and it helps with a lot of depression victims, but having that close support helps too, and people to talk to.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
December 31st, 2007 at 01:47am
I kind of have it, i think it's getting worse. All of the symtomes fit me somewhat.

No one cares about it, not even this theripist I see, she only cares about my anxity for some reason. She said it ties in with my anxity, I don't think so though, I havn't been anxious latley. I'm not like always sad though, I have mood swings alot.

I wish people would take it seriously, almost everytime I tell someone they are like "LAwZ YuR emO!!!!111" or "stop bitching about everything". They think i'm faking, people also don't understand I can't control it, my mom yells at me sometimes when i cry, like i can control it. Why would i choose to be depressed?
Tahm York
This Board Is My Home
Tahm York

Blog
January 5th, 2008 at 12:21am
I was never "diagnosed" with depression, but I think I went through it after my mom died. I felt really blank and empty in life, just coasting along and going with whatever was thrown my way. I became pretty quiet, and I think it changed me fully.
I think I still have problems with it, it led to me not sharing anything and exploding on people at the worst possible time.
I tried pills at one time, but they started to make me happy, so I thought I didn't need them anymore.. but it turned out I sorta did. Although I've been doing okay without them.
Agent Zombie
Idiot
Agent Zombie

Blog
January 10th, 2008 at 02:08pm
I got it, my therapist said i was high on the scale with it along with anger and anxiety. But I smoke so I'm good until i get home and the drama starts. Its not really a good feeling, like you could be sitting there trying to do homework listening to your favorite music, feeling good, until that one song comes on and you start thinking about the drama and you just start crying for no reason and feeling stressed Molly
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
January 11th, 2008 at 05:29pm
I have had depression for about 16 months now. For the first year, i knew something was not right. I felt tired, anxious and really sad for most of the time. It wasn't until about September 2007 that my parents actually realized that i wasn't well. So they had my doc put me on antidepressants and now i go to see a therapist once a week. Things are getting better, but i still have depression today and i'm relieved that this is a topic under the Specific Discussions thingy.
conTAMiNatedRoCk!!!
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
conTAMiNatedRoCk!!!
January 17th, 2008 at 12:04pm
ok a general question if ur like suffering from depression ... but u cant show it or go to a psychatrist cause it would really hurt ppl around who try to keep u happy but its something abt u urself tht keeps u depressed so wat is one supposed to do? any suggestions?
Barney Stinson
Basket Case
Barney Stinson

Mibba Blog
January 17th, 2008 at 04:53pm
I usually talk to one of my closest friends. But, that's just me, everyone's different. Then if that doesn't work, u can ask urself (well u should do this anyways) what is making u feel depressed. A journal is a good way to cope if u can't show it or go to a psychatrist. You know, writing is a way talk too.
conTAMiNatedRoCk!!!
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
conTAMiNatedRoCk!!!
January 18th, 2008 at 08:05am
^ hey thnx man .... i write poems and tht helps but not much ..... anyways ill just keep on trying until it changes Smile
suzie_k
Falling In Love With The Board
suzie_k
January 23rd, 2008 at 03:12pm
I got my next appointment for "shrinkage" as I like to call it.
I've been on 2 seperate meds and the first one did nothing and my mam says the second one is making my mood swings more erratic.
I'm also on sleeping pills for my manic phases and when my meds keep me awake.
So after the "shrinkage" I have to go to counciling and all that jazz.. So yeah.
Register