The GSB Writers Circle.

AuthorMessage
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
February 10th, 2007 at 06:41am
Joan - 'How can our dictator/dictate'. I'm not entirely sure if the repetition of dictate was needed there, I can see why you used it but I think it would sound better if you just changed the second dictate...
But I loved the imagery of the mice and rodents, I interpretted it as a metaphor for religious figures trying to force beliefs on others and fighting amongst themselves, like holy wars. And how you were always contrasting images like 'golden candlesticks' and 'cardboard churches'.

And the second poem was absolutely amazing - it reminded me of something for the Bible, I can't remember the exact story, but I know it involved some guy trying to build a pair of wings... it reminded me a lot of that. Even if that wasn't what you were going for; well, it's always nice that people can interpret your poetry in different ways. And this time around I thought the repetition of 'I pawed at your cold shoulder/like a bear, so bare and stark' actually worked better...

Awesome work. Very Happy
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
February 11th, 2007 at 10:24am
Kris_the_demon:
Just for the record, the second poem is my belief that night is better then day. So it is related...

and the first is kind of, since she's trying to make herself believe that he isnt dead, but he is in truth.
Ok, so the second one works. The first one however, that’s not philosophy. That would fall under psychology Wink. She’s denying the fact that he’s dead. That doesn’t have anything to do with values or a cretin way of life. Philosophy is believes but it’s ethical believes. =P
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
February 11th, 2007 at 05:50pm
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 12th, 2007 at 10:42am
Um, this thread is getting crowded and confusing so I propose a new rule-ish thing. And if everyone agrees, we can PM a mod and get the rules post edited.

K, so, everyone makes a seperate topic for their Writers Cirlce Poem with the name of the poem as the title. And in the little description box, they have to put "Writers Circle - [topic]" and everyone comments over there and the link is posted in here until the new topic, which will be posted here as well.
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda

Mibba
February 12th, 2007 at 02:45pm
So we'd post the link to our poems in here, then? Sounds good to me. Very Happy
DudeO
DudeO

Mibba
February 12th, 2007 at 06:34pm
Hmm... I dunno.
I kinda like it the way it is.
DudeO
DudeO

Mibba
February 12th, 2007 at 06:35pm
What's in a name?:
Kris_the_demon:
Just for the record, the second poem is my belief that night is better then day. So it is related...

and the first is kind of, since she's trying to make herself believe that he isnt dead, but he is in truth.
Ok, so the second one works. The first one however, that’s not philosophy. That would fall under psychology Wink. She’s denying the fact that he’s dead. That doesn’t have anything to do with values or a cretin way of life. Philosophy is believes but it’s ethical believes. =P

Alright, I agree.
wait_what
Geek
wait_what

Mibba Blog
February 13th, 2007 at 12:10am
FCPSITSGEPGEPGEPanda:
So we'd post the link to our poems in here, then? Sounds good to me. Very Happy

I agree. I get so confizzled sometimes... Wink
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
February 13th, 2007 at 11:44am
lyrical_mess:
Um, this thread is getting crowded and confusing so I propose a new rule-ish thing. And if everyone agrees, we can PM a mod and get the rules post edited.

K, so, everyone makes a seperate topic for their Writers Cirlce Poem with the name of the poem as the title. And in the little description box, they have to put "Writers Circle - [topic]" and everyone comments over there and the link is posted in here until the new topic, which will be posted here as well.

Sounds great. And I can get the rules post edited if you like Smile
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 13th, 2007 at 12:34pm
Okey dokey artichokey.
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
February 15th, 2007 at 03:18pm
Peter Petrelli
Peter Petrelli
February 18th, 2007 at 06:57am
Well, on the final day of this fortnight's topic, I've finally been hit with inspiration, and am putting every literary fibre in my body to produce something suitable. Very Happy

Anyway. Reviews of poems already posted in the thread, which I haven't had chance to do for a while.

Rose
I remember that one of yours well - I particularly liked how powerful and domineering it was, I could imagine the words preached in the marketplace in the middle ages; the speaker adamant that he be adhered to.

Kris_the_demon
I'm not entirely sure how either can be applied to the topic, but I really loved the imagery you used in both. I guess the second could be associated with philosophy more so than the first, but it would still be difficult. But what these two pieces show is that you have certainly come a long way since you first started posting here - you had a lot of potential then and now your talent is starting to show through. I especially loved the bowl of stars imagery at the beginning of the second poem.

lyrical_mess
The only criticism I have is of the repetition of knowledge and rebellion coming from the throat; I thought that it was a very powerful image, but it became a little vague when you repeated it a few lines on.
And I thought I invented the word psychobabble! I made that up for psychology class. Laughing I wasn't sure whether you could've used a different word in its place, it just felt a little amateur, but I liked where you were going with it.
But I especially loved 'I eschew your rebellion/And I’ll rise above your high/These/blasé swear words /Erupting from your throat'.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 18th, 2007 at 09:50am
psychobabble is a real word. but yeah, thanks.
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
February 18th, 2007 at 10:54am
Ok, three things:
1. The new rule is added ^_^
2. When does this topic end?
3. And the person to choose the next topic will be wait_what!
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 18th, 2007 at 12:16pm
This topic ends on February 20th. wait_what, when you post the next topic, please post the dates with it.
wait_what
Geek
wait_what

Mibba Blog
February 18th, 2007 at 03:07pm
Holy crap... Me? Wow. Thanks. Hmm... I'll have to think about a topic...
wait_what
Geek
wait_what

Mibba Blog
February 18th, 2007 at 03:43pm
Ho'kay.

I've put a lot of thought into this before. (You know, if I was ever chosen to pick a topic...) But I had to think about it to make sure, and check back to make sure there wasn't a similar topic.

So, I've noticed that the majority of our poems are somewhat on the desolate side... So... the next topic is...

BLISS!

Don't kill me.

Dates: How about the 20th to the 6th?
What's in a name?
What's in a name?

Mibba
February 18th, 2007 at 05:03pm
wait_what:
Holy crap... Me? Wow. Thanks. Hmm... I'll have to think about a topic...
Yesh Cool. You're welcome.

You picked a great topic btw.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
February 20th, 2007 at 10:42am
Ahhh. Awesome topic. I think happy poems actually do test poetic ability better than gloomy stuff. Because when you're down, you can compare it to stuff. But being happy...that's the best feeling in the world and it's always hard to describe joy. So good job..

Ooooh. I have a joke. What's better - a penny or happiness?

Answer: A penny. Because nothing is better than happiness and a penny is better than nothing. lmfao

</spam>
billie's_little_jinx
billie's_little_jinx
February 20th, 2007 at 02:49pm
LOVE

It smells like black rose's
It taste like bad blood
It feels like the torn of a rose
It sounds like weeping
it looks like the nightmare
love is your undoing