Kerrang interview with Billie Joe

AuthorMessage
k-contentbarrier-
Addict
k-contentbarrier-
December 24th, 2006 at 07:24pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Contentbarrier.:
No band should take 4 years to record a follow-up.

You're all a little bit unreasonable, no? I mean, sure they need a little bit of time off, but... they're paid to do this. It's their job. It pisses me off when my favorite bands take so long to release their albums, and it's part of the reason I've lost interest in many of them. Green Day is next. I've listened to all of their songs at least 50 times, and I just want to fucking hear something new out of them. Just because they're the biggest band in the world doesn't mean they should release albums every four years.

Look at the Beatles. They managed to release an album every year, sometimes even two. If you think "More time to work on an album means a better album," look at The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper, or Led Zeppelin II and IV. They didn't take four years to make, and they're some of the greatest rock records of all time. Why Green Day can't do the same is beyond me.

Rolling Eyes
So, you'd rather them put out some shitty album that sounds like crap because they want to meet a time limit? Thats retarded. If they want to take ten years, its their choice. Who cares what The beatles or Led Zeppelin did, those are two different bands.
Look, releasing a new album quickly doesn't mean it'll sound like crap. As I said before, it hasn't taken 4 years to release great albums.

I think I'll bring up my most inportant point yet, the fact that, in my opinion, the greatest record ever made, Insomniac, was released one short year after Dookie. And that record was made when Billie Joe's son had just been born. Did he spend all his time at home when his son has been born? No. he had a job to do. Insomniac proves you don't need an eternity to make a perfect album.

-__- I know you're all going to slam the fuck out of me for saying this.
GreenDayCookieFairy
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
GreenDayCookieFairy

Mibba Blog
December 24th, 2006 at 07:34pm
... All I have to say is..... well, yeah, I think it sucks that the album's not coming out till 2008.... but art can't be rushed if the artist needs time to work.

If Green Day need time to come out with the new album they should have the time.

You can't rush insperation... maybe it'll come out sooner
The Brightside.
Geek
The Brightside.

Mibba Blog
December 24th, 2006 at 07:56pm
Green Day shouldn't have to be rushed...its not our choice when their next album comes out, its theirs.

Besides, they need time off too....they have families, as well as other commitments like touring - eg working with U2 for the Saints Are Coming.

And I guess I still have four or five more albums to listen to, so my Green Day education shall continue. Very Happy
talaan
Idiot
talaan
December 24th, 2006 at 08:03pm
Contentbarrier.:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Contentbarrier.:
No band should take 4 years to record a follow-up.

You're all a little bit unreasonable, no? I mean, sure they need a little bit of time off, but... they're paid to do this. It's their job. It pisses me off when my favorite bands take so long to release their albums, and it's part of the reason I've lost interest in many of them. Green Day is next. I've listened to all of their songs at least 50 times, and I just want to fucking hear something new out of them. Just because they're the biggest band in the world doesn't mean they should release albums every four years.

Look at the Beatles. They managed to release an album every year, sometimes even two. If you think "More time to work on an album means a better album," look at The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper, or Led Zeppelin II and IV. They didn't take four years to make, and they're some of the greatest rock records of all time. Why Green Day can't do the same is beyond me.

Rolling Eyes
So, you'd rather them put out some shitty album that sounds like crap because they want to meet a time limit? Thats retarded. If they want to take ten years, its their choice. Who cares what The beatles or Led Zeppelin did, those are two different bands.
Look, releasing a new album quickly doesn't mean it'll sound like crap. As I said before, it hasn't taken 4 years to release great albums.

I think I'll bring up my most inportant point yet, the fact that, in my opinion, the greatest record ever made, Insomniac, was released one short year after Dookie. And that record was made when Billie Joe's son had just been born. Did he spend all his time at home when his son has been born? No. he had a job to do. Insomniac proves you don't need an eternity to make a perfect album.

yeah, they dont need to relax so long to make a perfert album.
Tom Blinks Me.
Idiot
Tom Blinks Me.
December 24th, 2006 at 08:56pm
OMFG.

2008?
Mad
achin' to be
Had A Life Before GSB
achin' to be
December 24th, 2006 at 10:16pm
It's only a year.
Besides, that was an estimate. Who knows how soon it'll really come out? Most big bands like Green Day like Christmas releases, so who knows? Realistically though, 2008 does sound best. I'm glad they're taking their time.
Tom Blinks Me.
Idiot
Tom Blinks Me.
December 24th, 2006 at 10:19pm
Dawnie:
It's only a year.
Besides, that was an estimate. Who knows how soon it'll really come out? Most big bands like Green Day like Christmas releases, so who knows? Realistically though, 2008 does sound best. I'm glad they're taking their time.

I'm glad they're taking their time also.

A rushed album wouldn't be their best effort, eh?
xXAmagadXx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xXAmagadXx
December 25th, 2006 at 06:28am
you green day freaks are fucking crazy
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 06:43am
A little's enough.:
OMFG.

2008?
Mad

I give up Rolling Eyes Laughing
Magazine Sickness.
Geek
Magazine Sickness.

Mibba Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 06:46am
WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT OTHER BANDS?
Green Day, as we have CLEARLY learned are NOT like other bands.

Cut them some slack.
If you cant wait a fucking year then they probably arent THAT important to you. Trust me, if you REALLY wanted to support the band you loved then you would be PATIENT.

Plus, time has flown by since AI.
A year/a year and a half isnt that long.

Sit it out kiddies :]
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 06:47am
SAINT™:

Cut them some slack.
If you cant wait a fucking year then they probably arent THAT important to you. Trust me, if you REALLY wanted to support the band you loved then you would be PATIENT.

Hole in one Cool
Magazine Sickness.
Geek
Magazine Sickness.

Mibba Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 06:55am
trelovescookies:
SAINT™:

Cut them some slack.

Hole in one Cool

thankyah Wink
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 08:14am
SAINT™:
trelovescookies:
SAINT™:

Cut them some slack.

Hole in one Cool

thankyah Wink

I mean c'mon though.
It's bang on.
If you are a true Green Day fan.
&& don't just love them for their music.
But you read deeper, and understand that they are humans too.
They need time off.
They need time to see their families.
They need time to chill.

And do you not think that they are thinking about us fans?
Trying to bring out the best possible material for us to rock out to.
Also, they said they wanted to distance themselves from American Idiot.
So they need time to get out of that brain gear!

Personally.
I dont think it's long to wait at all.

but that's just my opinion Rolling Eyes Wink
Fashion Zombies!
Jackass
Fashion Zombies!

Mibba Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 08:23am
xXAmagadXx:

Thanks, we try.
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 11:16am
Sounds Like Chicken:
xXAmagadXx:

Thanks, we try.

Well, thats only some of us (:
in_paradise_with_st_jimmy
Falling In Love With The Board
in_paradise_with_st_jimmy

Mibba Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 11:53am
It sucks that there will be no Green Day in 2007, but anticipation just makes things better. I'm sure the new album will definitely be worth the wait.
And please people, stop being so selfish; you've never been on tour and you have NO idea how much it takes out of you. Green Day have been away from their families for two years, for Christ's sake, let them get back into their everyday life before you start bitching and moaning about them taking too long. They don't live to make music for you; yes they love it, but they love other things, as well. Please, get over yourselves and go find some other bands that you can occupy yourself with until Green Day releases their new album.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 25th, 2006 at 12:06pm
Contentbarrier.:

Alright, lets look at what happened with Insomniac Rolling Eyes
They were rushed by the lable to make another album, they had no choice. They cut the tour short because they hated what they were doing and quit for guess how long? 2 YEARS until Nimrod Came out, after Nimrod they did take a long break, but when they were recording it they did the same thing again and rushed into warning and producded it themselves, then what did they do? Almost break up, and we had to wait even longer for American Idiot, so dude, if you're going to use examples it'd be nice if they made sense.

And about the kids thing, yeah he wasn't at home, and it almost lead to him getting a divorce and Billie openly admitted he had a drinking problem around this time. Mike and Tre did end up getting divorces. See, the thing about being a musician is your job molds to your life, because it is your life, it effects it in every way. I'd say that their personal happiness is way more important than you being upset because they arent releasing albums to suit your liking, it is their music you know...
k-contentbarrier-
Addict
k-contentbarrier-
December 25th, 2006 at 11:59pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Contentbarrier.:

Alright, lets look at what happened with Insomniac Rolling Eyes
They were rushed by the lable to make another album, they had no choice. They cut the tour short because they hated what they were doing and quit for guess how long? 2 YEARS until Nimrod Came out, after Nimrod they did take a long break, but when they were recording it they did the same thing again and rushed into warning and producded it themselves, then what did they do? Almost break up, and we had to wait even longer for American Idiot, so dude, if you're going to use examples it'd be nice if they made sense.

And about the kids thing, yeah he wasn't at home, and it almost lead to him getting a divorce and Billie openly admitted he had a drinking problem around this time. Mike and Tre did end up getting divorces. See, the thing about being a musician is your job molds to your life, because it is your life, it effects it in every way. I'd say that their personal happiness is way more important than you being upset because they arent releasing albums to suit your liking, it is their music you know...
Still doesn't change the fact that it was a brilliant album. Rolling Eyes
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
December 26th, 2006 at 12:12am
It doesn't really matter that the wait is so long. I'm willing to wait. Love means...being willing to wait. Hehe. No seriously, I'm excited that they're taking their time. And we're going to get a slew of making the album pics and stuff during this time. And family pics. It's going to be so cool. And imagine, if they're taking so long, it must mean the new album is going to be AWSHUM. I can't wait, but I'm gonna wait.

Besides, I can listen to my CDs. I have almost every one. I just need Smoothed Out and Kerplunk. And in this time, I can buy those two and memorize them like I've done with the other ones.
x-Billie and Adie-x
Geek
x-Billie and Adie-x
December 26th, 2006 at 04:29pm
seriously as much as i love Green Day i can wait. I have all their albums that i can listen to whenever i want and BIAB and posters and crap like that so it wont be that bad waiting a year its not that long they could have decided that it was gonna take longer. There are loads of other bands out there that a relesing new stuff go listen to them and it wont seem as long. It wont matter if you love the band cuz you will be prepared to wait for them.
Register