Disciplining Your Pets

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 5th, 2007 at 11:12am
afireinsidemyhead:
hitting you pet doesn't solve anything.....all it does is teach them to be afraid of you. there are other ways to discipline your pet
I'm sure you'll find that out of all the people here who use smacking as an act of discipline, none of their pets are afraid, simply more behaved. My pets certainly aren't afraid of me, otherwise jumping at me and licking my face or my toes is an extremely bad defense mechanism.

I was watching Jurassic Park the other day and wondering how my little shi tzus would fair up to a tyrannosaurus rex. I'm sure they wouldn't lick his toes.
LoveMeLudo
Idiot
LoveMeLudo

Mibba
April 5th, 2007 at 04:53pm
Anji:
afireinsidemyhead:
hitting you pet doesn't solve anything.....all it does is teach them to be afraid of you. there are other ways to discipline your pet
I'm sure you'll find that out of all the people here who use smacking as an act of discipline, none of their pets are afraid, simply more behaved. My pets certainly aren't afraid of me, otherwise jumping at me and licking my face or my toes is an extremely bad defense mechanism.

I was watching Jurassic Park the other day and wondering how my little shi tzus would fair up to a tyrannosaurus rex. I'm sure they wouldn't lick his toes.

But there are OTHER WAYS of punishing your pet. I never hit my dogs and neither does my mom. Our pets are very well behaved. They never jump up on people, destroy things, or go to the bathroom inside.
xxDearlyxBelovedxx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xxDearlyxBelovedxx

Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 06:38pm
I don't think you should hit any animals. I don't think it helps in the disiplining (sp?) at all.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 6th, 2007 at 07:17pm
We use an empty soda can with some coins in it. You shake it at them when they act up and it works very well. To me, there is no excuse unless you are being attacked by a dog/animal.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 07:21pm
Heels Over Head.:
We use an empty soda can with some coins in it. You shake it at them when they act up and it works very well. To me, there is no excuse unless you are being attacked by a dog/animal.

lmfao we did that with my dog when it was a puppy so she wouldnt chew up shoes. I never got why it worked so well but it does. She would just drop everything and sit. I guess it confused her.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
April 6th, 2007 at 07:28pm
Kurtni:
Heels Over Head.:

lmfao we did that with my dog when it was a puppy so she wouldnt chew up shoes. I never got why it worked so well but it does. She would just drop everything and sit. I guess it confused her.

lmfao my dog did the same thing.

Its the most amazing invention ever. I've even tried it with humans. File it seemed to work fine with one girl.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
April 6th, 2007 at 08:11pm
When my dog was younger she got the occasional hit, but it was never something that really hurt, it was more of an OIT. She's really well behaved, and I think as long as you do it only when you need to and don't go overboard then it's ok.

I was hit as a child and it hasn't done me any harm. Also, you might like to note, I'm well behaved...for the most part.

I think there may be a connection there. Wink

But yeah, it is an effective way, because they only need to be told a couple of times, and they stop doing what they're doing wrong.

But, you can only do it when they're actually doing the bad deed, you can't find out a couple of hours later that they've chewed your shoe and then hit them because they won't understand.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:39am
afireinsidemyhead:
Anji:
afireinsidemyhead:

But there are OTHER WAYS of punishing your pet. I never hit my dogs and neither does my mom. Our pets are very well behaved. They never jump up on people, destroy things, or go to the bathroom inside.
Well maybe you're lucky enough to have smart pets. two of my dogs were taken in by me from off the streets. They do not understand what I mean if I continually yell 'no' at them, so I use a method which they would understand since other dogs do it to them when they are misbehaving as well. Except I don't really bite them. I don't like the taste of dog meat and ticks.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
April 9th, 2007 at 09:51am
I don't hit my cats - if they start clawing the carpet I just poke them with my foot and that usually makes them stop (for about an hour.) If they're doing something really bad then I just yell at them and look angry - 'cause they decifer your mood and what you're saying to them by the tone of your voice and the look on your face.
The only time I come close to smacking my cats is if they're going to the toilet inside on the floor, and even then I just tap their back legs to make them run outside. There's no need for a full on slap.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 9th, 2007 at 07:39pm
Peardrops:
I don't hit my cats - if they start clawing the carpet I just poke them with my foot and that usually makes them stop (for about an hour.) If they're doing something really bad then I just yell at them and look angry - 'cause they decifer your mood and what you're saying to them by the tone of your voice and the look on your face.
The only time I come close to smacking my cats is if they're going to the toilet inside on the floor, and even then I just tap their back legs to make them run outside. There's no need for a full on slap.

There usually isn't a reason to hit a cat, they typically are more well behaved than dogs. One time my cat was on the counter when I was boiling water and he started to step in the flame. I didn't actually mean to hit him but he scared me and I went to knock him off the stove before he caught himself on fire. I'd much rather have my cat in a bad mood with me than on fire though to be honest.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 9th, 2007 at 08:02pm
omg that cat story is scarey! Sad my kittens used to try and get in the washing machine so we always checked it before we turned it on.. hehe

all pets are smart you have to give them the chance to be..
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 12:16pm
tyco:
omg that cat story is scarey! Sad my kittens used to try and get in the washing machine so we always checked it before we turned it on.. hehe

Two years! No not all pets are smart. Kinda like people, not to name names...
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 12:21pm
tyco:

You should meet my dog. An idiot if ever there was one. Retard
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 12:24pm
Bloodraine:
tyco:

One of my shi tzus digs in water. lmfao lmfao lmfao

Sometimes I just take out a pan of water for fun and give it to her and she starts furiously digging at it. She's not digging at the pan because when it's empty she's perfectly content with it, but when it's filled with water...like a hurricane if you're sitting behind her.
xstarry_nightsx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xstarry_nightsx
April 12th, 2007 at 01:04pm
I don't think it's acceptable to discipline a pet through hitting it. Maybe a little tap that wouldn't even hurt it, but not hitting it. Unless its about to attack you or something!
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 04:57pm
Anji:
tyco:

Two years! No not all pets are smart. Kinda like people, not to name names...

i dissagree i think all people are smart given the chance as well..
its true its in different ways but everyone has something that is unique and smart to that person.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 04:58pm
Bloodraine:
tyco:

lol that face looks very smug "HA! your all gutted cause i have an idiot of a dog!" hehe!
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 05:24pm
xstarry_nightsx:
I don't think it's acceptable to discipline a pet through hitting it. Maybe a little tap that wouldn't even hurt it, but not hitting it. Unless its about to attack you or something!

If you severly hurt your animal it's no longer disipline it's abuse. I don't hit my animals but Im assuming the people who do use it more as a way to get their attention and show that whatever the animal has done is wrong. Hitting an animal alone isn't really good discipline anyways, verbal commands usually go with it, like when they say "no" or whatever.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 05:38pm
Kurtni:
xstarry_nightsx:

If you severly hurt your animal it's no longer disipline it's abuse. I don't hit my animals but Im assuming the people who do use it more as a way to get their attention and show that whatever the animal has done is wrong. Hitting an animal alone isn't really good discipline anyways, verbal commands usually go with it, like when they say "no" or whatever.

i think hitting an animal with force is abuse with or without verbal commands.
tapping is enough to get there attention.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 05:43pm
tyco:
Kurtni:
xstarry_nightsx:

i think hitting an animal with force is abuse with or without verbal commands.
tapping is enough to get there attention.

"Tapping" and "hitting" or "smacking" can have different levels of physical strength used to do each depending on the person, and how they choose to use the words. And no matter how you touch your pet, you're applying some force. Petting your animal requires force. Brushing your pet requires force. Pulling your dog out of the street so it doesn't get hit my a car needs force. Flicking their nose so they know its wrong needs force.

Con So, using force isn't abusive. If you didn't use force you'd have no contact with your pet at all, and that's neglect, which is abuse.
Register