Disciplining Your Pets

AuthorMessage
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 10:58am
Anji:
tyco:
take your dogs to a dog training session.. cause what your doing IS wrong.. no one should hit anyone especially an animal.
you will see that dog trainers never use violence Tones and rewards are a lot more effective
OK, I don't use violence, I use discipline. It's the same as a tone, except dogs can recognise it better because it is hard for them to always be detecting the tone of the human voice. A physical strike will give them a much more effective idea of what is good and what is bad. Also, I see trainers use discipline all the time.

Rewarding isn't very useful once your pet expects a reward every single time.

you wene them off the reward.. a reward is just to say well done this is the right way to do things just as you would reward a child for good behavour in time they will recognise that thats the right thing to do and you can slowly stop giving them a reward.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:01am
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:
take your dogs to a dog training session.. cause what your doing IS wrong.. no one should hit anyone especially an animal.
you will see that dog trainers never use violence Tones and rewards are a lot more effective
OK, I don't use violence, I use discipline. It's the same as a tone, except dogs can recognise it better because it is hard for them to always be detecting the tone of the human voice. A physical strike will give them a much more effective idea of what is good and what is bad. Also, I see trainers use discipline all the time.

Rewarding isn't very useful once your pet expects a reward every single time.

you wene them off the reward.. a reward is just to say well done this is the right way to do things just as you would reward a child for good behavour in time they will recognise that thats the right thing to do and you can slowly stop giving them a reward.
It doesn't work as well, though. I know dog trainers who strike misbehaving dogs. They know what they're doing and it doesn't affect the dog in any behavioural way apart from it being able to distinguish between right and wrong. Rewarded dogs tend to only know what's right.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:06am
i dont think you really know what your saying surely the reason in a reward is so the dog knows whats right also distiguishing whats wrong because it wont get a treat and will be told off with tones..
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:09am
Anji:
tyco:
not only is it cruel but also lazy and ineffective.
Hahaha, my dogs, on good behaviour, are really well trained. I've taught one of them how to even stand on her hind legs and say hello. When potty training, of teaching them what they can and can't chew, or do, or go, it is effective to hit them. They get the message loud and clear.

sounds as if they are scared, i would be.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:14am
tyco:
i dont think you really know what your saying surely the reason in a reward is so the dog knows whats right also distiguishing whats wrong because it wont get a treat and will be told off with tones..
Don't tell me what I know and what I don't know. Bbat

I'm serious though, I will run you into the ground.
Roxanne

A dog can't distinguish human tones very well. It's hard for them. The only reason a dog will do anything for you otherwise, is because they know that they will get a reward. Good behaviour shouldn't get a reward though, it's the first thing the dog should learn and should just be an instinct. A dog shouldn't get a reward just cause it sat down. It's not like I never treat my dogs, but they need restrictions. Anyway, you never answered my questions. ^
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:15am
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:
Hahaha, my dogs, on good behaviour, are really well trained. I've taught one of them how to even stand on her hind legs and say hello. When potty training, of teaching them what they can and can't chew, or do, or go, it is effective to hit them. They get the message loud and clear.

They aren't scared. If they were then they would avoid me at all costs instead of sticking to me as if I was a magnet.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:23am
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:

They aren't scared. If they were then they would avoid me at all costs instead of sticking to me as if I was a magnet.

what about people that beat on there wives and husbands... they also find it hard to get away.. (just an example not saying thats what your dogs feel)
but also your dogs might no be scared of you but scared of what you will do.. thats hardly right is it?
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:25am
Anji:
tyco:

Roxanne

A dog can't distinguish human tones very well. It's hard for them. The only reason a dog will do anything for you otherwise, is because they know that they will get a reward. Good behaviour shouldn't get a reward though, it's the first thing the dog should learn and should just be an instinct. A dog shouldn't get a reward just cause it sat down. It's not like I never treat my dogs, but they need restrictions. Anyway, you never answered my questions. ^

dogs ar very smart and can distinguish tones my dog sulks if it hears a telling off tone which is low
think about it how do dogs comunicate in tones a low gruff is a bad tone where as a high bark is happy and a yelp is scared/hurt
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:27am
Anji:
Violence and discipline are completely different. I hate people who think it's so cool to but like uber liberal and use those two words as if they were the same thing.

and somone that can hate somone soooo easily obviously has a problem
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:27am
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:

Roxanne

dogs ar very smart and can distinguish tones my dog sulks if it hears a telling off tone which is low
think about it how do dogs comunicate in tones a low gruff is a bad tone where as a high bark is happy and a yelp is scared/hurt
It's not that simple and they hear it in completely different pitch frequencies. To them, anything we say is a mumble jumble of indistinguishable blurs of sounds. It is very hard. It's more likely they pick up they way you look.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:30am
tyco:
Anji:
Violence and discipline are completely different. I hate people who think it's so cool to but like uber liberal and use those two words as if they were the same thing.

Someone who judges another just as easily is usually considered imprudent.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:32am
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:

Roxanne

It's not that simple and they hear it in completely different pitch frequencies. To them, anything we say is a mumble jumble of indistinguishable blurs of sounds. It is very hard. It's more likely they pick up they way you look.

okay so maybe it is the way you look rather then the tone i still dissagree..
but seriously if that works why hit!
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:34am
I don't have animals apart from a gerbil :silly: (who i don't discipline Laughing)

but maybe putting an action to a look helps animals distinguish what that look means. Dno
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:40am
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:

Roxanne

but seriously if that works why hit!
My dog Cocoa is a bit of a retard. Trust me, it wouldn't work. And I said it was more likely, but it's still not as apparent to many dogs. Pleanty of dog trainer I know use sticks to discipline their dogs. This is not violence. They hit them when they are disobedient. Many of them are the most friendly and cutest dogs on the Earth and they are dog show winners as well. Dogs get personalities, and I don't want my dogs to be spoilt. I want them to learn that I am boss and that they should know what is the right way to behave.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:45am
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:

most consider me to have a very wise judgment.. and seriously you
ask you should be ready for dissagreements..

as i said hitting an animal or human is wrong disciplin is okay in other forms, a tap on the nose or banging a newspapper on the floor when they missbehave to make the jump is fine.. actually hitting is just damn right bang out of order.. i think thats where your problem lies to be honest
i have cats and dogs all of which are very good know whats wrong and right never fight and are toilet trained.. no violence used which just prooves that its not needed.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:48am
think about it how do dogs comunicate in tones a low gruff is a bad tone where as a high bark is happy and a yelp is scared/hurt[/quote]It's not that simple and they hear it in completely different pitch frequencies. To them, anything we say is a mumble jumble of indistinguishable blurs of sounds. It is very hard. It's more likely they pick up they way you look.[/quote]

but seriously if that works why hit![/quote]My dog Cocoa is a bit of a retard. Trust me, it wouldn't work. And I said it was more likely, but it's still not as apparent to many dogs. Pleanty of dog trainer I know use sticks to discipline their dogs. This is not violence. They hit them when they are disobedient. Many of them are the most friendly and cutest dogs on the Earth and they are dog show winners as well. Dogs get personalities, and I don't want my dogs to be spoilt. I want them to learn that I am boss and that they should know what is the right way to behave.[/quote]

you know some messed up dog trainers.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:52am
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:

as i said hitting an animal or human is wrong disciplin is okay in other forms, a tap on the nose or banging a newspapper on the floor when they missbehave to make the jump is fine.. actually hitting is just damn right bang out of order.. i think thats where your problem lies to be honest
i have cats and dogs all of which are very good know whats wrong and right never fight and are toilet trained.. no violence used which just prooves that its not needed.
I am ready for disagreements. If I wasn't I'd be saying this:
Ahhhhh, youre lyk totally duuuuumb. u r stooooooopid!

Instead, I'm actually debating. If you don't want to, then leave when you like.

Maybe you're lucky and have naturally tame pets. The puppies of show dogs I've seen tend to run wild until they've been shown what's wrong. My pets are given every ounce of respect and attention they deserve. It's not like I hate them, and I don't abuse animals. I love them, and I care for them and want them to be brought up properly.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 16th, 2007 at 11:55am
tyco:
you know some messed up dog trainers.
You're being really insensitive.

No I don't know messed up trainers. They are top class trainers whose dogs are almost always guarenteed to win most dog shows. They are very clever people who at least have had degrees in vetenary science. Most of them are vets and study the way animals think. They are experts, I'm sure they know what they are doing.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
January 16th, 2007 at 11:58am
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:

I am ready for disagreements. If I wasn't I'd be saying this:
Ahhhhh, youre lyk totally duuuuumb. u r stooooooopid!

Instead, I'm actually debating. If you don't want to, then leave when you like.

Maybe you're lucky and have naturally tame pets. The puppies of show dogs I've seen tend to run wild until they've been shown what's wrong. My pets are given every ounce of respect and attention they deserve. It's not like I hate them, and I don't abuse animals. I love them, and I care for them and want them to be brought up properly.

one of my cats was once a ferell and both dogs cam from the RCPCA where they where both disstreated and very angry.. now they are all very well behaved..

im not done why would i leave?
x-punk--goddess-x
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
x-punk--goddess-x
January 16th, 2007 at 11:59am
well i think any form of animal cruelty, however small it is, is wrong... I think that hitting a pet is as bad as hitting a child to be honest!
Register