The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 18th, 2007 at 06:10pm
Anji:
Herr Doktor:
Anji:
Then again, many people would think that about The Beatles' songs until Charles Manson somehow thought that they told him to perform some sort of enthic cleasing thing and kill Sharon Tate.
One guy out of Christ knows how many listeners.
He did manage to brainwash a barrage of others as well.
Cults are so easy to delve into, even if at first you believe in nothing, you soon do. Conformity and other...junk.
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
February 3rd, 2008 at 06:58pm
first off:
I can't help it but religion really frustrates me ( not that I have anything against
believers as long as they don't bother me with religious things)
people use it so explain things that are just too big for us,
just because we dont know everything doesnt mean that some higher power had anything to do with anything. to me religion seems so naive and ignorant. And way too many wars have been fought in its name.
I also think it's also kinda scary and cult-like that so many people believe in it and waste time by talking to nothing and worshipping something that can't be seen...and I don't wanna hear people say that I will go to hell for not believing or anyhting cause I don't think there's anything after death. (hard to explain my thoughts on this in english)
but if believing makes one feel like a better person that's only a good thing

the downside of religion to me is that the church is interfering with all sorts of non-religious things, like saying that "people shouldn't use condoms"..so that loads of people who do believe can die of aids?? cause people are not just gonna stop having sex ..or whining about pre marriage sex, shops that are open on sundays, education...or even trying to ban words from the fucking dictionary. srsly sick... loads of people in my country don't even believe so why should we live by those rules and not be educated and sit on our asses all sunday so we have to do everything on saturday. religion parties bitching and whining gets annoying..
but then again I have nothing against believers as long as no one bothers me with religious stuff

I don't think Athiests are evil, just because you don't live by the rules of some book doesnt mean they dont have morals/values of their own. of course one can tell right from wrong. to think otherwise is just narrowminded
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
February 3rd, 2008 at 10:42pm
VoicesOfViolence:
first off:
I can't help it but religion really frustrates me ( not that I have anything against
just because we dont know everything doesnt mean that some higher power had anything to do with anything. to me religion seems so naive and ignorant. And way too many wars have been fought in its name.
I also think it's also kinda scary and cult-like that so many people believe in it and waste time by talking to nothing and worshipping something that can't be seen...and I don't wanna hear people say that I will go to hell for not believing or anyhting cause I don't think there's anything after death. (hard to explain my thoughts on this in english)

the downside of religion to me is that the church is interfering with all sorts of non-religious things, like saying that "people shouldn't use condoms"..so that loads of people who do believe can die of aids?? cause people are not just gonna stop having sex ..or whining about pre marriage sex, shops that are open on sundays, education...or even trying to ban words from the fucking dictionary. srsly sick... loads of people in my country don't even believe so why should we live by those rules and not be educated and sit on our asses all sunday so we have to do everything on saturday. religion parties bitching and whining gets annoying..
but then again I have nothing against believers as long as no one bothers me with religious stuff

I don't think Athiests are evil, just because you don't live by the rules of some book doesnt mean they dont have morals/values of their own. of course one can tell right from wrong. to think otherwise is just narrowminded

Actually, this whole post seems to be directed at the Catholic/Christian faith, which is just one religion, and is in no way representative of every religion in the world.

And, just so you know, Sundays are not meant for "sitting on our asses". Most devout people go to mass, spend time with their families, etc. It's a day of respect. And I find it disrespectful that you constantly call the religion "sick". It's not sick. These people have their own set of beliefs, which, if you'd educated yourself, you'd understand. Catholics believe that sex is a sacred act which should take place between two married people to create life, not as a recreational act.

Religion, or the absence of religion, does not make someone evil. Everyone makes their own choices as to how they wish to live their lives. Religions are simply moral guidelines.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 4th, 2008 at 03:32am
I had an awesome religious debate today and I deducted from logic that theism must only be objective and so is either true or untrue and this therefore disproves the basis of scientology.

What all religions have in common is that the individual does not create their own moral guidelines, they are created and so therefore judged by a supreme being or whatever. One of the ultimate philosophical questions is is there a set of moral codes which is universal to everyone? All religions say yes, and all atheists say no. Ironically, religions have been undermined for being purely subjective and not factually concise when infact, Athiests are ultimately subjective because they'll believe that there is no God, but accept that there are people who worship a false idol that they call a 'god' and it is impossible for God to be subjective, because if he was, well, he just simply couldn't exist. In monotheism, only one, universal God is capable of existing.
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
February 4th, 2008 at 07:31am
oops doublepost
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
February 4th, 2008 at 07:34am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
VoicesOfViolence:
first off:

Actually, this whole post seems to be directed at the Catholic/Christian faith, which is just one religion, and is in no way representative of every religion in the world.

And, just so you know, Sundays are not meant for "sitting on our asses". Most devout people go to mass, spend time with their families, etc. It's a day of respect. And I find it disrespectful that you constantly call the religion "sick". It's not sick. These people have their own set of beliefs, which, if you'd educated yourself, you'd understand. Catholics believe that sex is a sacred act which should take place between two married people to create life, not as a recreational act.

Religion, or the absence of religion, does not make someone evil. Everyone makes their own choices as to how they wish to live their lives. Religions are simply moral guidelines.

sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone...seriously, I just said how I see things.
just so you know I don't like any religion..not just catholic
but that's just the religion that I know most of...and is most common here (next to muslims) I am (on paper) catholic so I know that sundays are not for sitting on your ass..(it is in fact a day of rest not respect*) but by making it illegal to open shops on sundays is unfair for non-believers. I have nothing against people going to church or visiting relatives on sundays but it shouldnt be forced upon everyone by law (dunno about other countries but its like that here, a lot of religious parties are bitching about shopping-sundays n stuff)
if you wanna do that stuff on sundays go ahead but there's no need for making it a rule for everyone, so that the rest in fact has no choice but to sit on their asses

sorry if no one got this, english is not my mothertongue..

I never said Religion is evil. But it is the reason of many little frustrations between different people. And also a lot of wars have been fought in its name cause people take religious books too litteraly. It's great if you become a better person from it. But it is taken too far too often

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
source: http://www.topical-bible-studies.org/02-0008.htm

please don't be offended I admit that I got a little carried away with my rant...
but why be offended by some kid on the internet?
and we just totaly went past the point with this and I didn't mean to attack anyone (or just one religion)
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
February 4th, 2008 at 08:57pm
Anji:
I had an awesome religious debate today and I deducted from logic that theism must only be objective and so is either true or untrue and this therefore disproves the basis of scientology.

What all religions have in common is that the individual does not create their own moral guidelines, they are created and so therefore judged by a supreme being or whatever. One of the ultimate philosophical questions is is there a set of moral codes which is universal to everyone? All religions say yes, and all atheists say no. Ironically, religions have been undermined for being purely subjective and not factually concise when infact, Athiests are ultimately subjective because they'll believe that there is no God, but accept that there are people who worship a false idol that they call a 'god' and it is impossible for God to be subjective, because if he was, well, he just simply couldn't exist. In monotheism, only one, universal God is capable of existing.
That entire paragraph made me so happy, like. You don't even know. I've missed you.

And I should think that there would be a universally accepted code of morals, regardless of religion or the abscene thereof. I mean, there's a basic knowledge of right and wrong in all people, isn't there?
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
February 4th, 2008 at 09:00pm
VoicesOfViolence:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
VoicesOfViolence:
first off:

sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone...seriously, I just said how I see things.
just so you know I don't like any religion..not just catholic
but that's just the religion that I know most of...and is most common here (next to muslims) I am (on paper) catholic so I know that sundays are not for sitting on your ass..(it is in fact a day of rest not respect*) but by making it illegal to open shops on sundays is unfair for non-believers. I have nothing against people going to church or visiting relatives on sundays but it shouldnt be forced upon everyone by law (dunno about other countries but its like that here, a lot of religious parties are bitching about shopping-sundays n stuff)
if you wanna do that stuff on sundays go ahead but there's no need for making it a rule for everyone, so that the rest in fact has no choice but to sit on their asses

sorry if no one got this, english is not my mothertongue..

I never said Religion is evil. But it is the reason of many little frustrations between different people. And also a lot of wars have been fought in its name cause people take religious books too litteraly. It's great if you become a better person from it. But it is taken too far too often

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
source: http://www.topical-bible-studies.org/02-0008.htm

please don't be offended I admit that I got a little carried away with my rant...
but why be offended by some kid on the internet?
and we just totaly went past the point with this and I didn't mean to attack anyone (or just one religion)
I apologize if I came off as harsh, but I assumed that since you were only referencing Catholicism, it was a typical attack that I've seen and heard a thousand times. I apologize, and I do understand where you're coming from, I just don't like blanket statements, you know?
loud princess xo
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
loud princess xo
February 28th, 2008 at 03:27pm
i think it is.
I mean the people who flew into the twin towers supposedly did it because of religion.
Ku Klux Klan killed people because of their religion and their colour.
And if we only had one religion, or none at all, the world will be so much more peaceful.
So whats the point in religion other than hope, but everyone has hope in something else like santa, and people who do not believe still live dont they? so how is it going to harm us if their is none?

some one try and make me change my mind? give me a good argument why religion is a good thing?

Holly x
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
February 29th, 2008 at 11:45pm
I think humanity is the root of all evil. But also, I think our beliefs cause hate and violence when it was only meant to provide faith in the first place. Then the greed and anger sets in, turning religion into something it wasn't originally meant to be, into something dark and hateful and competitive. I think religion absolutely contributes to things like terrorism and crime.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
March 1st, 2008 at 11:47am
Double post. XD
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
March 1st, 2008 at 11:49am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Anji:

That entire paragraph made me so happy, like. You don't even know. I've missed you.

And I should think that there would be a universally accepted code of morals, regardless of religion or the abscene thereof. I mean, there's a basic knowledge of right and wrong in all people, isn't there?
Yes, apparently humans, if stripped of all bias and inhert beliefs will apparently all have the same ethnical views as each other. It's just ethnical, cultural, psychological complexities that have seperated us for ages that prevents us from thinking together in the present. This is a theory still though, but this should prove that there is inherit truth in the universe. Whether it is in the form of a God, that may be impossible to tell.

And, yay, happiness! Retard Been retardedly busy lately.
nimrodidiot
Jackass
nimrodidiot

Blog
March 1st, 2008 at 12:38pm
Religion can be whatever people make it to be. Some make it a personal thing that helps then day by day, and others choose to use it as an excuse or a competition.

Religion is capable of being either evil or holy. It really is the choice of its beholder.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
April 6th, 2008 at 11:29am
I am in the middle of reading 'the God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, and I recommend that anyone and everyone should read it. It has opened my mind to thoughts that have always been there, but never strong enough to make me angry at the insane way in which the world is running, and which it has been run for the past couple of thousand years.

Religion is a farce. It exists in the mind of weak, brain-washed people who are not intelligent or brave enough to think for themselves and question their own beliefs.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 6th, 2008 at 12:33pm
bjtp:
I am in the middle of reading 'the God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, and I recommend that anyone and everyone should read it. It has opened my mind to thoughts that have always been there, but never strong enough to make me angry at the insane way in which the world is running, and which it has been run for the past couple of thousand years.

Religion is a farce. It exists in the mind of weak, brain-washed people who are not intelligent or brave enough to think for themselves and question their own beliefs.
I've read it, and re-read it and counter-argued it and defended it so many times I'm almost sick of it. But then I'll read it again and still find it interesting. Not to say that I agree with it, infact I disagree with alomst all of it, and Richard Dawkins was much too harsh on his attack on religions. He condomned religious extremeists but only came off looking like an atheist extremist. He has interesting beliefs but I think his theories were not executed in a concise and coherent manner in this particular book. I enjoy his other works more.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 6th, 2008 at 12:36pm
bjtp:
...And question their own beliefs.
Sorry, I had to quote this too, yeah, you can't just apply this to religious people and say that that's that. It's applicable to atheists as well.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
April 6th, 2008 at 12:36pm
Anji:
I've read it, and re-read it and counter-argued it and defended it so many times I'm almost sick of it. But then I'll read it again and still find it interesting. Not to say that I agree with it, infact I disagree with alomst all of it, and Richard Dawkins was much too harsh on his attack on religions. He condomned religious extremeists but only came off looking like an atheist extremist. He has interesting beliefs but I think his theories were not executed in a concise and coherent manner in this particular book. I enjoy his other works more.
Example please. Cassie

Also, which bits do you not agree with?
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
April 6th, 2008 at 12:39pm
Anji:
bjtp:
...And question their own beliefs.
Sorry, I had to quote this too, yeah, you can't just apply this to religious people and say that that's that. It's applicable to atheists as well.
Oh I'm not saying it isn't applicable to everyone, of course it is, but I have found personally that religious people in particular have almost an inbuilt reflex to shut down at a certain point and not to push on with questioning themselves. From my own experience, I have arrived at the opinion of athiesm precisely because I questioned my beliefs.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 6th, 2008 at 12:54pm
bjtp:
Anji:
Example please. Cassie

Also, which bits do you not agree with?
Not right now. I need my copy because otherwise I'd do my head in just thinking about it. But like, you know the first half of the book is almost a constant attack, it's almost nothing like what Dawkins usually writes. The second part was beautiful, the discussion of morality was sound. It was good. It really made the first half pale in comparisn because it seemed as if it was written purely as a means of venting his own belief rather than logically deducting a persuasive arguement. I mean, I guess it's true what they say, it was almost like a polemic.

I like 'The Selfish Gene'. I think his writing style was a little more objective and fluent, rational because of it. Also, 'The Blind Watchmaker' was spot on as far as creationist theories go.

By the way, you do realise that Dawkins' documentary entitled The Root of All Evil? was criticised by him, as he did not shoose the title and disagreed that religion was the root of all evil.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
April 6th, 2008 at 12:59pm
Yes, he reckons that no one thing is the root of all evil. However, it is the root of quite a lot of evil. I think the first half he spends mostly defending himself against the attacks which he felt sure were going to come against him, and he wanted to specifically lay out his arguement and needed to do a lot of groundwork so that what he was saying could not be misconstrued. Dno
Register