Is Religion The Root Of All Evil?

AuthorMessage
Rocker Chic
King For A Couple Of Days
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 10th, 2008 at 09:28pm
As I said, I did read your entire conversation, and I see that she used the words "people" as in people in general alot, but I just thought the way you quoted her was taken out of context. That's all. Nothing against you or her or the conversation you were having. I do see that she used the term "everyone", but, as I'm sure you know, when someone uses the term "everyone", it doesn't mean that they literally spoke with every single person on earth. It's just a general statement.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 10th, 2008 at 11:25pm
Poette:
when someone uses the term "everyone", it doesn't mean that they literally spoke with every single person on earth. It's just a general statement.

Anji:
There is always consistency in the way we live, nobody can live, honestly without a routine in life

She is saying that everyone does, in the literal sense of the word, and I think general statements like that are incorrect. That was the entire point of our discussion. Coolio

And how was what I quoted out of context? I took out specific quotes, but I wasn't manipulating the meaning of what she was saying, the context and content was still the same.
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 11:49am
In my opinion, whenever a person uses the term "everyone" it isn't meant in the literal sense, because surely no ones actually met everyone on Earth. You're kind of just supposed to assume that it's a general statement. That's all I'm saying. I see your point, but I just felt that you were calling Anji out on a statement simply because you took it the wrong way.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 12:23pm
Kurtni and I have mutual understanding. 'Tis all fun and games really. Con

But, Kurtni, she kinda has a point when she says that you aren't backing up what you're saying. I seriously do think that everyone on Earth lives with habit in some shape or form, literally everyone. Seriously, show me someone who doesn't.

Also, read up a bit on Absurdism, it's a really fundamental concept when discussing the philosophy of life. I never use 'absurd' in the way the dictionary denotes its meaning, I mean 'absurd' as in Sartre and Camus and Keirkegaard and the whole nine yards.
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 01:50pm
Anji:

I know. I'm not trying to fight with anyone, just voicing my opinion. Very Happy
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 02:29pm
Anji:

But, Kurtni, she kinda has a point when she says that you aren't backing up what you're saying. I seriously do think that everyone on Earth lives with habit in some shape or form, literally everyone. Seriously, show me someone who doesn't.

Also, read up a bit on Absurdism, it's a really fundamental concept when discussing the philosophy of life. I never use 'absurd' in the way the dictionary denotes its meaning, I mean 'absurd' as in Sartre and Camus and Keirkegaard and the whole nine yards.

Back what up? I'm not the one claiming my opinion is fact. OMFG Your statements are inconsistent...
Anji:
I seriously do think that everyone on Earth lives with habit

Anji:
People can't live without habit, it's a fact.

Is this something you think, merely an opinion, or are you claiming it to be a fact? Just because you think something doesn't make it a fact, a personal theory perhaps, but without solid proof and evidence what you're saying is not a fact.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 03:05pm
In my previous post, I stated that I believe it is a fact. You can believe in facts that aren't true. Like white swans, or God, or global warming. The word 'fact' is misconstrued the way the words 'belief' or 'theory' sometimes are. In the absence of meaning, facts are useless. They are antagonistic. And meaning is subjective, so facts are based on beliefs.
steph.
Banned
steph.

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 04:13pm
NOT MUCH AS CHANGED BUT THEY LIVE UNDERWATER Headbang
steph.
Banned
steph.

Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 04:13pm
OH SHIT IGNORE THAT
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
April 11th, 2008 at 04:15pm
LOL STEFF!!! STEFF IS SO FUNNY!!!

i was talking with my good friend alexander today in r.e and he said that he believed that religion is just a way of explaining things that we don't really understand, such as the virgin mary having a baby.

..lol sry that was nothin 2 do with ~is religion the root of all evil~
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2008 at 11:59am
lmfao

Way to ruin the debating mood.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2008 at 07:47am
Anji:
You can believe in facts that aren't true.
If it isn't true, then it isn't a fact. Mr. Green
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
April 15th, 2008 at 07:54am
Yeah. All of religion is based on believing in facts that aren't true. tehe
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 17th, 2008 at 04:38am
Kurtni:
Anji:
Well then there is nothing that is fact if fact depends on meaning and meaning is subjective.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
April 17th, 2008 at 05:10am
Fact = proveable. Proof is not subjective.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 17th, 2008 at 06:38pm
Anji:
Kurtni:
Anji:
Well then there is nothing that is fact if fact depends on meaning and meaning is subjective.
Something is a fact because it isn't subjective. It is a fact that mass can neither be created or destroyed. That isn't subjective and there is proof to verify that. It is a fact that a body will stay at rest unless an outside net force acts upon it as stated by the law of inertia. That isn't subjective and there is evidence to back it up. Do you see the difference between real facts and the opinion you have that you're claiming to be a fact? You have no proof to verify what you're saying. You have no evidence or anything making what you're saying very subjective. You're just saying what you think, which there isn't anything wrong with that, but to act like it's a fact is wrong. Just because you choose to think something doesn't make it a fact.
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 17th, 2008 at 07:12pm
Well, but just being realistic here, have you ever, ever met someone who isn't a creature of habit? We all have habits - I 100% agree that it is a true statement. Whether it's brushing your teeth every morning or going to bed at 11 every night - that is, in fact, a habit. It's something you do routinely.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 17th, 2008 at 08:15pm
Poette:
Well, but just being realistic here, have you ever, ever met someone who isn't a creature of habit? We all have habits - I 100% agree that it is a true statement. Whether it's brushing your teeth every morning or going to bed at 11 every night - that is, in fact, a habit. It's something you do routinely.
It would be very idealistic to assume that all people on Earth have the luxury of knowing what they will do and when. It's sad, but many people live a very stressful, chaotic life with things they cannot control, and they cannot form habits. Not everyones life allows for them to have a bedtime because their life and situation changes daily. Being able to form habits is a privillege, getting to develop a comforting routine is not something everyone has the luxury of being able to do and based on some of the comments in this thread many people seem to take that for granted.

At any rate, lets say you were correct and everyone does have habits. Anji said it was impossible to live without them. How could you possibly know that if no one has ever done it to test it? You can't. It isn't a fact, plain and simple.
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 18th, 2008 at 12:16pm
I agree with you, being able to form a routine is a privilege. But even if you're homeless, you still form habits of maybe looking for shelter each day, or asking for money. It's still a habit, even if it isn't a luxurious one.

And, to answer your question, it's impossible to live without habit for the exact reason you said - no one has ever tried it. And there's a reason for that, don't you think? Would you agree that if humans could live without habits, we would be trying to do so? It's in human nature to stick with what you know - and that is when a habit is formed. It's something you're used to.

Heck, even eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner is a habit. You want to know what would happen if we didn't have that habit? We would starve and die.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 18th, 2008 at 05:21pm
Poette:
I agree with you, being able to form a routine is a privilege. But even if you're homeless, you still form habits of maybe looking for shelter each day, or asking for money. It's still a habit, even if it isn't a luxurious one.

And, to answer your question, it's impossible to live without habit for the exact reason you said - no one has ever tried it. And there's a reason for that, don't you think? Would you agree that if humans could live without habits, we would be trying to do so? It's in human nature to stick with what you know - and that is when a habit is formed. It's something you're used to.

Heck, even eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner is a habit. You want to know what would happen if we didn't have that habit? We would starve and die.
I wouldn't consider sleeping a different place every night because you have no constant shelter a habit to be honest. No one has ever tried it? Coolio That's your logical reason? People are constantly discovering new things that no one has ever done before, that's what we do. Humans tend to be curious by nature. Just because it hasn't occurred yet does not make it impossible, it means that we know nothing about it, and to claim that we do would be incorrect.

And once again, being able to eat three meals a day is a luxury that not everyone has. Some people are lucky if they get one meal a day and they still survive. Habit is not necessary. Not to mention that what you need out of meal routines is not the habit, but the nutrients, and you can get nutrients without a habit.
Register