Is Religion The Root Of All Evil?

AuthorMessage
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
March 4th, 2007 at 10:01pm
druscilla_nesser:
I don't believe religion is the root of all evil.
People are.
Religion is a good thing when you look simply at the faith aspect.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be moral and worshipping God.
It's when you take all the man-made part of religions: following the Bible to a T [men wrote it], doing what the Vatican [structure of men] tells you to without thinking for yourself.

It's the human parts of religion that screw everything up.
men wrote it but the accuracy over time is astonishing when isolated copies are found
besides, God created the universe couldn't he write a book?
oh yeah, and Christianity is based on the Bible, not what the Vatican says
Catholicism teaches other shit than the Bible
like confessionals and shit
that's also the reason Christians think cussing is bad, Catholics said it was bad 500 years ago and we haven't figured out that wasn't based on the Bible at all
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 4th, 2007 at 10:10pm
spill_no_sick:

He could have. But he didn't.

And this thread isn't only about Christianity.

And I don't care if the Bible is surprisingly accurate. People are what make it "okay" to hate, kill, taunt, bully, and harass people who don't fit into their religious "code". The Bible helps them.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 4th, 2007 at 10:18pm
again, that's their fault
not religion
you still haven't found a flaw with religion, just a flaw in scapegoating under the name of religion
which is just as bad as scapegoating religion
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 4th, 2007 at 10:32pm
Ignorance is basically the root of all evil.

But a lot of those ignorant people use religion as an excuse to continue being ignorant. So it's a vicious circle, so to speak.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 4th, 2007 at 10:38pm
spill_no_sick:
again, that's their fault
not religion
you still haven't found a flaw with religion, just a flaw in scapegoating under the name of religion
which is just as bad as scapegoating religion

I already said it wasn't religions fault.
People are.

Don't put words in my mouth.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 4th, 2007 at 11:16pm
I'm not
you said "Christianity" instead of "Christians"
you also said "the Bible"
you did also say, "the misinterpretation of the Bible"
but the Bible and Christianity aren't to blame until there's enough evidence against it
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 4th, 2007 at 11:21pm
spill_no_sick:
I'm not
but the Bible and Christianity aren't to blame until there's enough evidence against it

Why not?
Christians are the ones that killed thousands of women because they were "witches" [when they weren't].
Christians are the ones that tried to erect a statue in Mathew Shephard's town saying the day he died was the day he entered hell.
There's only enough evidence if you follow the Christian line of thinking.
If you don't then there's enough evidence to support that there is blame among Christians.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 5th, 2007 at 07:18am
If people take religion too far, then things start to go shit. I mean extremism and all of that.

Besides, people interpret things differently, so they pick and choose which bits to follow, and then adjust their prejudices accordingly. All religious texts have been adapted as they've gone down through the years, because that's what happens. People rewrite it to the best of their ability. But there are so many contradictions in religions that people don't know what to follow.

If people find solace in praying and worshipping someone, and it gives them comfort, but when they try to force their views on others, or don't accept other people's differences, that's when it goes wrong.

It's like the whole mods and rockers thing, they wouldn't accept that each other had different tastes and styles and stuff like that, and look at all the riots that caused. And that was just over music, views and fashion.

Nobody's ever going to admit that their religion is wrong, and in doing so, a lot of them won't accept other people's religions, so there's always going to be friction. It's just the way the world is.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 5th, 2007 at 07:20am
druscilla_nesser:
spill_no_sick:
I'm not

Why not?
Christians are the ones that killed thousands of women because they were "witches" [when they weren't].
Christians are the ones that tried to erect a statue in Mathew Shephard's town saying the day he died was the day he entered hell.
If you don't then there's enough evidence to support that there is blame among Christians.

You've just validated his point. It's chirstians that have done that, the people, not the religion itself.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
March 5th, 2007 at 08:44am
They use Christianity as an excuse. This one dude, a monk called Jean Bodin wrote a book called The Demonomania of Witches in 1580. The Inquisition lived by it, practically. He wrote that the country which shall tolerate witchcraft will be scourged with pestilences, famines, and wars. But those who take vengeance on witches will be blessed by God. I seriously doubt that God supports burning people and that Christianity or the Bible supports witch hunting, killing, murder, torture, blood-soaked holy wars and all that other stuff. Jean Bodin was a nutjob. It's people like him that make one think that religion is evil.
Armstrong.Is.Awesome
Geek
Armstrong.Is.Awesome
March 5th, 2007 at 12:25pm
Thanks for all your comments so far people .... very useful =]

and personally i do agree with most people who argue that its people rather than the religion

thanks again folks =]
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 5th, 2007 at 01:57pm
spill_no_sick:
druscilla_nesser:
People are.
Religion is a good thing when you look simply at the faith aspect.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be moral and worshipping God.
It's when you take all the man-made part of religions: following the Bible to a T [men wrote it], doing what the Vatican [structure of men] tells you to without thinking for yourself.

It's the human parts of religion that screw everything up.
men wrote it but the accuracy over time is astonishing when isolated copies are found
Catholicism teaches other shit than the Bible
like confessionals and shit
that's also the reason Christians think cussing is bad, Catholics said it was bad 500 years ago and we haven't figured out that wasn't based on the Bible at all

That's because Catholics have a whole load of beliefs that aren't from the Bible, but made up themselves. Like the Apostle's Creed (which wasn't written by the Apostles, but early church fathers) and they have the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which is like a supplement to the Bible.

The church also has what it calls Dogmas (teachings held by the Catholic church, many passed by old popes or papal councils) and the Magisterium, the teaching authority of the church. Gaaaawd, you can tell I've been at Catholic School for a while. 'course, the Vatican is only responsible for the Roman Catholic church, and not every church (although it is by far the largest)

By the way, I'm agreeing with you xD I don't want it to sound like I'm not.

And the thing about Christians killing witches. This is in response to whoever brought up that point. They probably wern't doing it out of evil, but fear. Things were different back then, they didn't know as much as we do now, they really thought the women were apparitions of Satan or whatever. Can't blame them for that simple ignorance; it was a very long time ago.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 5th, 2007 at 02:56pm
Bloodraine:
And the thing about Christians killing witches. This is in response to whoever brought up that point. They probably wern't doing it out of evil, but fear. Things were different back then, they didn't know as much as we do now, they really thought the women were apparitions of Satan or whatever. Can't blame them for that simple ignorance; it was a very long time ago.
Any free-thinking woman was considered a witch.
Any woman who was in tune with nature was considered a witch.
It was in a book called "The Witches Hammer".
Written by man.
With instructions on how to torture and kill witches.
Perhaps the people who did the actual killing aren't to blame, but the man who wrote the book out of fear of women is.
Erego, [a] man is to blame.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 5th, 2007 at 03:36pm
druscilla_nesser:
Bloodraine:
Written by man.
Perhaps the people who did the actual killing aren't to blame, but the man who wrote the book out of fear of women is.

It's always the blokes innit? Wink
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 5th, 2007 at 06:18pm
druscilla_nesser:
spill_no_sick:
I'm not

Why not?
good, blame Christians
that's what you're supposed to do, blame the ones at fault
but don't blame Christianity, thus far it is blameless
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 5th, 2007 at 06:24pm
Flaming Phalanges!:
druscilla_nesser:
Bloodraine:
Written by man.

I'm sure it's because all their decisions have led us to a peaceful, kind world where we all play in fields full of buttercups and rainbows. Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 5th, 2007 at 07:02pm
WeFoundTheDuck:
Flaming Phalanges!:
druscilla_nesser:
Bloodraine:
Written by man.

I'm sure it's because all their decisions have led us to a peaceful, kind world where we all play in fields full of buttercups and rainbows. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

If they'd let women be in charge from the start...well...of COURSE the world would be a much better place.

There'd be no wars, they're sort it out over a coffee morning and gossip trading.

Although, imagine the bitchiness that'd go on. "I'm not going to let my country trade with them, did you SEE her shoes?"

Although that was INCREDIBLY stereotypical.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 5th, 2007 at 07:19pm
Flaming Phalanges!:

If they'd let women be in charge from the start...well...of COURSE the world would be a much better place.

There'd be no wars, they're sort it out over a coffee morning and gossip trading.

Although, imagine the bitchiness that'd go on. "I'm not going to let my country trade with them, did you SEE her shoes?"

yeah... it was. Women aren't all about shoes...

Hair, Cars, Money, and clothes are also important Coffee
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 6th, 2007 at 12:06am
Kurtni:
Flaming Phalanges!:

yeah... it was. Women aren't all about shoes...

Hair, Cars, Money, and clothes are also important Coffee
lmfao

Shoes! Ahbrow
dude_dudette
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
dude_dudette
March 6th, 2007 at 02:12am
I don't think religion is the root of all evil. It's how far people take it that is evil. I hate it how extremely religous people always try to push their religion on you; tell you to keep an open mind to it. But they themselves can't see out of the little box that is their own religion. All other religions on the outside of the box are viewed as tainted or unworthy, even plain stupid. So even though religion isn't the root of all evil, it certainy is a factor that makes potential minds closed to the outer world.
Register