March 6th, 2007 at 05:36pm
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:
Duuude, what's the GOP? Coolio

I will second this question.. Coolio
Republican National Commitee
what that post is saying is, "my politics come from American Idiot"

GOP stands for the Grand Old Party. In short, the Republican Party.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
March 6th, 2007 at 05:42pm
Diet Coke And Mentos:
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:

why confuse us brits with your fancy talk, call it right-wing Laughing
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 6th, 2007 at 06:40pm
NeoSteph:
Diet Coke And Mentos:
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:

k , works for me.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
March 7th, 2007 at 11:35am
No, since religion did not make itself up.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
March 12th, 2007 at 06:58pm
NeoSteph:
Diet Coke And Mentos:
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:

i was kidding

and no human nature is
Pretty Like Drugs
King For A Couple Of Days
Pretty Like Drugs
March 14th, 2007 at 03:09am
No, I don't think so.

I can't disprove the existence of any higher being, but as an atheist I'm going to write from the perspective that religion and its deities were created by man. Sorry to offend anyone, that's not my intention.

The ancients needed religion. Having no science to explain much for them, they had to create a set of gods to which they looked for guidance. Religions kept societies together, helped build civilizations. I mean, heck, the Greeks and Romans thought any race without laws, religion and agriculture were barbarians. They wanted to be superior to people like that. They were better off living in fear of being struck down by Zeus' lightning bolts, living by the rules set down by their 'gods', than each running around doing as each pleased. So I think maybe religion itself did more good than harm.

The harm comes when intolerance of other people's beliefs arise, and they refuse to accept that there are other ideas of religion out there. I had a best friend who told me just about all religious non-Christian believers are devil-worshippers. How would you, as a pagan, say, like to be told that? It's not the truth, she just couldn't get past her dislike of people that didn't believe in her god.

I realise this isn't exactly the greatest, more detailed and well researched post ever, but they're just some of my thoughts.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
March 14th, 2007 at 04:48pm
Pretty Like Drugs:
No, I don't think so.

I can't disprove the existence of any higher being, but as an atheist I'm going to write from the perspective that religion and its deities were created by man. Sorry to offend anyone, that's not my intention.

The ancients needed religion. Having no science to explain much for them, they had to create a set of gods to which they looked for guidance. Religions kept societies together, helped build civilizations. I mean, heck, the Greeks and Romans thought any race without laws, religion and agriculture were barbarians. They wanted to be superior to people like that. They were better off living in fear of being struck down by Zeus' lightning bolts, living by the rules set down by their 'gods', than each running around doing as each pleased. So I think maybe religion itself did more good than harm.

The harm comes when intolerance of other people's beliefs arise, and they refuse to accept that there are other ideas of religion out there. I had a best friend who told me just about all religious non-Christian believers are devil-worshippers. How would you, as a pagan, say, like to be told that? It's not the truth, she just couldn't get past her dislike of people that didn't believe in her god.

I realise this isn't exactly the greatest, more detailed and well researched post ever, but they're just some of my thoughts.
that might be the best post I've read this whole time on this topic
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 16th, 2007 at 11:07pm
Pretty Like Drugs:
No, I don't think so.

That was very well said, and your avatar wins at life.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
March 17th, 2007 at 07:02pm
I have a problem with the question. omgno

Merriam Webster Dictionary:
ain Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
- re·li·gion·less adjective

I think that it's not the religion itself, but some of the individuals that followed the religion. Some people take football seriously, some religion.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 17th, 2007 at 07:21pm
how about this definition
religion: a set of morals and the reasons to follow them

good enough?
that makes athiems a religion

it's like saying you want to be a nonconformist...there are billions of those
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
March 17th, 2007 at 07:25pm
spill_no_sick:

good enough?

Ah, not conforming in the way the want you to. Cool

I just think that religion is just like communism, good in theory.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 17th, 2007 at 08:31pm
Joan Greenwood:
spill_no_sick:

good enough?

Ah, not conforming in the way the want you to. Cool

I just think that religion is just like communism, good in theory.
don't get your first sentence, but I'm just slow today

and religion isn't like Communism
with Communism everyone has to work together, so the weakest link will be inevitably disatrous
but with religion, if there's one weak link they don't affect as many
(assuming I'm a good person following any branch of Christianity you want to fill in here) me being good doesn't affect you being stupid about your religion, and vica versa
I'm not affected by the small group of homophobic/racist Christians
however, Cuba is affected by that small group of people who took advantage of idealistic Communism, greatly affected

that's why I think there's something else going on with it
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
March 20th, 2007 at 06:39am
i dont think religion is the root of all evil, i think the way differant people see the religous texts cary to such a degree that differant people willsee diferant things in religion, so there are bound to be conflicting interests
Mgasp!
Geek
Mgasp!
March 31st, 2007 at 02:21am
Greed is the root of all evil some people use religion for thier greed
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
April 4th, 2007 at 08:02am
Religion itself is not the problem. most or all religions teach peace and acceptance of others, so its not the religion directly. Its the fanatical people who are so obsessed with it that they are intolerant of anybody who is not like them that cause the problems, or are prejudiced against a certain people because of a possibly miniscule passage or reference in a holy book or something.
eg there is one verse in the entire bible that says guys shouldnt sleep with guys, so most christians are completely prejudiced against homosexuals.
So religion is not the root of all evil, intolerance and prejudice is
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 5th, 2007 at 11:25am
Maybe you believe that religion is the root of all evil, well who created religion? If grred is, then who was greedy first? Humans started a lot of complex thought processes which only exist primativly in our ancestors, the monkeys. Animals can be greedy if they get the chance, they can also starve themselves such is hibernation.

The one thing that every organism strives is to survive. The reason we all have such a survival instinct is because we fear what might happen otherwise. I think that living is the root of all evil. It's made us kill, dominate, feel greed, everything. It's sad, but true. Or maybe there's no such thing as evil. Maybe this is all just for the good of it all. I don't know. I'll probably never know.
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
April 5th, 2007 at 08:44pm
Well,every religion has its own theories...the most hostile,as it seems,is the Islam,because of the Jihad ideology...
Some of the greatest wars of humankind history were moved by religious purposes,like the Crusades...by now it's the war between Israel and Palestina,and one of the reasons is Jerusalem,sacred for Islam,Judaism and Catholicism...
but i don't think religion means a reason to be hostile to everybody.it's a personal belief,shouldn't be used as a "psychological weapon" to describe the reasons for a conflict.In ancient times it would be acceptable,but we've grown up through the ages and we musn't let our religion get upon our heads and commit crimes under the name of any belief.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
April 5th, 2007 at 10:01pm
No I dont think religion is the root of all evil. Because religion its self cannot be evil. EXAMPLE: Christianity in all its lonesome would not be evil. But some of the people in it might be.
So in my best saying I would think LIVING is not the root of all evil. But rather the emotions given to us can be. Like THINKING could be the root of all evil. If we didnt think....we wouldnt know what to do really.
Say if Adam and Eve hadn't eaten from the Tree of Knowledge they wouldn't have know they were naked. They would have been in an innocent state their entire lives.
But then what good is life if we dont think. :/ Perhaps, I think Im just rambling now.
life2007
Geek
life2007

Mibba Blog
April 5th, 2007 at 10:39pm
The root of all evil is man, Man created religion and money.
BI Hoe
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
BI Hoe
April 8th, 2007 at 11:05pm
No. Evil is the decisions that people make that a section of humanity considers wrong. Religion just has a role in it. Due to faith or beleifs, people commit haneous crimes. But religion(in this case) is just like music, TV, color, and many other things: its not the root of evil, but a contributor. Me myself am a christian(happy easter), and a very godly person, but people dont agree with my beleifs. Ive been in so many arguments just because of who I am. See? Evil isnt born within religion, its born from peoples hearts. Just to let you know, to my religion, the root of evil is knowledge.
Register