Is Religion The Root Of All Evil?

AuthorMessage
wild at heart
Idiot
wild at heart

Blog
November 2nd, 2007 at 07:59pm
i don't think religion is the root of evil, but those who represent it, in our case Smile people. For example like 1000 years ago the pope, leader of the catholic church asked - in the name of the church inocent people to be killed, christian church also organized robbery and a lot of stuff.
The first medieval inquisition, the episcopal inquisition, was established in the year 1184 by a papal bull entitled "Ad abolendam," "For the purpose of doing away with." The inquisition was in response to the growing Catharist heresy in southern France. It is called "episcopal" because it was administered by local bishops, which in Latin is episcopus. The episcopal inquisition was not very effective for many reasons. The bishops often did not reside in their dioceses, living in far-off cities such as Rome and rarely, if ever, visiting. When they did visit, bishops were busy and had many other responsibilities. Also, the procedures used in this inquisition were not effective. For example, according to the Ad abolendam, it was required to reveal the name of the accuser to the accused, and this would often lead to the revenge killing of the accuser before the trial.
I don't really know, i'm actually kind of agnostic.
miau
King For A Couple Of Days
miau
November 2nd, 2007 at 08:42pm
Herr Doktor:
Cobra:
I Created Disco:
Herr Doktor:

That's nearly all the activities that the local youth population does in the weekend.

And they are either Protestant or Catholic...never Christian, though.
Protestants and Catholics are Christians, I swear. Confused

omg that's what I thought Coolio

You obviously don't live in Scotland.

You will never ever ever ever hear someone say that they are a Christian.

They will say Catholic or Protestant.

Then ask you and either try and kill you or be your friend for life.

That's sick, actually. It's the same thing they believe in, the differences are only in 'ceremonies' (I don't know the English words, I hope you understand. Shifty).
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 2nd, 2007 at 09:02pm
Herr Doktor:
Cobra:
I Created Disco:
Herr Doktor:

That's nearly all the activities that the local youth population does in the weekend.

Same here, just with Catholics and members of the Orthodox church.It doesn't matter that we all go under Christianity, we still hate each other.
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 3rd, 2007 at 03:01pm
Religion, stupidity and people being followers are the main causes of war, but not necesserily evil, religion and faith can help people but it can stay the fuck away from me.
tonlistir
Geek
tonlistir
November 4th, 2007 at 11:48pm
Cartoon Caterpillar!:
Herr Doktor:
Cobra:
I Created Disco:
Herr Doktor:

That's sick, actually. It's the same thing they believe in, the differences are only in 'ceremonies' (I don't know the English words, I hope you understand. Shifty).

In fact the word "Christian" means everyone who follows Jesus, no matter if he goes to a ctholic or an evangelic church or an other communitiy.
But there can be a great difference between the fact that one's calling himself a christian and if he really is one.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 5th, 2007 at 11:20am
Eyeliner Loves You:
yes, i do think that religion is the root of all evil. there are so many rules that evantually people will want to rebel, and cause pain to those who follow the religion
Erm... what? Coolio
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 5th, 2007 at 11:26am
Cheshire Cat.:
Cartoon Caterpillar!:

In fact the word "Christian" means everyone who follows Jesus, no matter if he goes to a ctholic or an evangelic church or an other communitiy.
But there can be a great difference between the fact that one's calling himself a christian and if he really is one.
Try living in Northern Ireland and saying you are a Christian and you believe the same things. File
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
November 5th, 2007 at 05:14pm
Eyeliner Loves You:
yes, i do think that religion is the root of all evil. there are so many rules that evantually people will want to rebel, and cause pain to those who follow the religion
There are ten basic rules in Christianity (I would say others but I don't know them. It's on my list of things to learn after how to make a laser)

In laymans terms:

1. Don't blaspheme me.
2. Don't worship any other God but me.
3. Don't make yourself a God. That would be silly.
4. Keep the Sabbath holy (ie don't work etc).
5. Follow your parent's rules.
6. Don't kill anybody.
7. Don't sleep with someone if you or they are married.
8. Don't nick anything.
9. Don't tell lies.
10. Don't envy.

I actually think 10 is the hardest to keep in a material world. And at least three of those are illegal.

Back in the day it was written, these rules were far easier to stick to.

Maybe the Bible should have a makeover. Ah
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 5th, 2007 at 08:20pm
GAYS ARE BITCHIN:
I did my Satanism research. tehe

I understand now what you meant with the self-centered atheism, especially with the LaVey Satanism. But its too much of an "eye for an eye" thing for me to fancy.
Yeah, thats why I don't practice it,
tonlistir
Geek
tonlistir
November 5th, 2007 at 09:55pm
bjtp:
Try living in Northern Ireland and saying you are a Christian and you believe the same things. File

huh, glad I'm not living there I think... just tried to explain the basic meaning of this word.

Eyeliner Loves You:

Sure, there are rules in the Christianity like you aren't allowed to worship other gods for example. But a christian will maintain this because Jesus is his friend and you don't betray a friend, do you? Same with all other rules, to the fore there's the friendship to Jesus, not the rules.
TrainSpotting
Geek
TrainSpotting
November 5th, 2007 at 10:35pm
No, religion isn't the root of all evil: ignorance and arrogance are. The basic principles behind most religions aren't bad, it's thinking your religion is the only truth and that anyone who doesn't follow your religion is wrong is what makes the problem. People taking analogies WAYYY too literally, if you ask me.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2007 at 05:15pm
EdwardOwnsMe:
i don't mean christianity. i mean that other religion....whose name i've forgotton. -_-

but, what i mean by religion is the root of all evil is that you are given a set of rules to obey. you basically have your opinions laid out by a book. and, you can't like certain things, and if you do, you get kicked out by your religious community. i've seen it happen.
People forget that the book is merely fables....like good old Aesops. It wasn't written by God (I think the Islamic one is but don't quote me on that) and it's the basic guidelines that a bunch of people who wrote the damn thing.

Ooh!

Omg the Bible, yo:

2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by
the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked
him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the
name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood,
and tare forty and two children of them.

I mean, it's not like every bald, uber-religious guy will get two bears to tear you to shreds.

Coolio
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2007 at 07:39pm
That's a horrible thing! Why would you set bears upon little children?! But then again, it will stop children from openly mocking bald people.

Also, the Qu'ran was supposedly spoken to Mohammad by God.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
November 6th, 2007 at 07:43pm
Yay! I was right about the Islam thing.

And there are better punishments than ripping them to shreds...'naughty step' for example.

If what I just said happened...:

2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth a huge glittering naughty step from HEAVEN where the children had to sit for an hour.
Antithesis
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Antithesis
November 7th, 2007 at 08:36am
Hails to religion intolerance! Christianity is the most heinous of all religions. People are being brainwashed into believing what is false every second. If God actually existed, then he would be a cynical being that brought us to life for his little game of doom. Just think about it, if God was so perfect and seamless, then why did he create inferiors instead of equals? Also, why did he make a poisonous apple tree to taunt Adam and Eve. If God was just, he would not have created 2 species - male and female. The whole Bible is just written to fit the descriptions and exaggerate the qualities of pass rulers of the world.

As the saying goes "One who believes in something is insane, a group which believes in the same thing is religion."
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 7th, 2007 at 11:09am
Herr Doktor:

And there are better punishments than ripping them to shreds...'naughty step' for example.

lmfao lmfao Awesome alternative to being ripped to shreds! lmfao
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 7th, 2007 at 11:40am
bjtp:
Herr Doktor:

lmfao lmfao Awesome alternative to being ripped to shreds! lmfao

lmfao I agree.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
November 7th, 2007 at 12:47pm
Antithesis:
Hails to religion intolerance! Christianity is the most heinous of all religions. People are being brainwashed into believing what is false every second. If God actually existed, then he would be a cynical being that brought us to life for his little game of doom. Just think about it, if God was so perfect and seamless, then why did he create inferiors instead of equals? Also, why did he make a poisonous apple tree to taunt Adam and Eve. If God was just, he would not have created 2 species - male and female. The whole Bible is just written to fit the descriptions and exaggerate the qualities of pass rulers of the world.

As the saying goes "One who believes in something is insane, a group which believes in the same thing is religion."
Christianity is most certainly not the most heinous of all religions. And nowhere in the Bible does it state that humanity is the inferiors of God, it says that we are his children. And not all Christians are intolerant. Yes, there are a handful of ignorant people, but you get them everywhere and anywhere, regardless of religious afiliation. I've met atheists who were the most intolerant, ignorant bastards Coolio I'd ever had the displeasure to speak with. There are good and bad people in every walk of life, and singling out Christianity only shows that you're just as intolerant as you claim they are.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
November 7th, 2007 at 03:37pm
Antithesis:

Since when was life a "little game of doom". Now I don't know you, but it sounds like you're trying to be all cynical and poetic and stuff...and...yeah. It's the way you view it. Life is only a "little game of doom" if you're living for unhappiness. Which is actually more common than most people think. So yeah.

There's actually a nice little anecdote to fit the situation. A little priest man goes to a barber one day to get his hair cut. So they talk because everyone talks to the barber because its cool. And the barber says "You're a priest huh? Well I don't believe in God!" The priest, still sitting and speaking calmly because this guy's cutting his hair, simply asks "Well why not?"

The barber finishes off the haircut and says "If God exists, why do bad things happen? If God' here to help us, why does anyone get hurt?" The priest remains quiet for a moment and then beckons the barber to the window. He says "I don't believe in barbers." The barber is surprised and asks why. The priest points out the window to a man with long, scraggly hair and a long scarggly beard and says "If barbers exist, why does that man have such unkempt hair?"
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 7th, 2007 at 08:33pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
There are good and bad people in every walk of life, and singling out Christianity only shows that you're just as intolerant as you claim they are.
Disliking christianity and disliking Christians aren't the same thing. Personally, I dislike Christianity alot, but I don't hate Christians. I know some of them are amazing people, and religion is no reason to discriminate.
Register