Legalize drugs?

AuthorMessage
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 19th, 2007 at 10:58pm
This thread should be called legalizing Marijuana, not legalizing drugs.
Vanity
King For A Couple Of Days
Vanity
March 20th, 2007 at 02:18am
WeFoundTheDuck:
I wish I could remember where I read the information about joints causing more lung damage than cigarettes... Think

Perhaps I misread it? Dno

I've heard that same information somewhere in one of my health classes years ago.
I've looked up the topic on various websites but I couldn't find anything even mentioning it.
I've just concluded that I either misread it, or I was severely mis-lead by my teachers into believing some ridiculous, made up statistic.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
March 20th, 2007 at 03:12am
i dont think joints have tar and nicotine and stuff in them. thats what causes the lung damage and addiction and whatnot. oh yeah, and carbon monoxide
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 20th, 2007 at 05:16am
Kurtni:
Yeah. Mostly because no one [at least on this thread] wants to legalize any other drug. Which is something I agree with.

Jello Biafra:
End the war on drugs. Decriminalize marijuana and illegal narcotics such as heroin, cocaine, and crack. Hard-core addiction is an illness, not a crime. Put users on prescription, and crime will drop dramatically when they don’t have to rob and kill people to pay the Mob’s high drug prices. Any president or governor can stop the prison-building boom right now by commuting sentences for minor, non-violent drug offenders to time served. Why not pressure them to do it?
So I know this was part of the campaign Jello Biafra for president, and I know he was a singer in a punk band, but I wanted to see your views on this idea.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
March 20th, 2007 at 04:18pm
Kurtni:
well, I can't edit with this new system
whether I don't know how or Dujo doesn't want me to
you can though
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 20th, 2007 at 04:20pm
Dr. Cuddy:
Kurtni:
Yeah. Mostly because no one [at least on this thread] wants to legalize any other drug. Which is something I agree with.

Jello Biafra:
End the war on drugs. Decriminalize marijuana and illegal narcotics such as heroin, cocaine, and crack. Hard-core addiction is an illness, not a crime. Put users on prescription, and crime will drop dramatically when they don’t have to rob and kill people to pay the Mob’s high drug prices. Any president or governor can stop the prison-building boom right now by commuting sentences for minor, non-violent drug offenders to time served. Why not pressure them to do it?
So I know this was part of the campaign Jello Biafra for president, and I know he was a singer in a punk band, but I wanted to see your views on this idea.
Rolling Eyes
yes, we all look up to the Dead Kennedys
but honestly, he ran with a convicted cop killer as his running mate, he hardly took that election as serious as his run for mayor
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 20th, 2007 at 05:18pm
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
well, I can't edit with this new system
whether I don't know how or Dujo doesn't want me to
you can though

Oh, I didn't know other users couldn't see an edit button, I'll change it, unless you want this discussion to include other drugs. I just think when you compare pot to drugs like heroin, meth, club drugs, ect. they are different issues, and could have different threads.

Blog
March 20th, 2007 at 08:13pm
Haha, I just did a project on pot for health. I don't agree with what people are saying about how it isn't dangerous, though:

"Marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke"

"Marijuana users are four times more likely to report symptoms of depression than people who never used the drug."

"Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways. Smoking marijuana possibly increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers."

"Smoking marijuana leads to changes in the brain similar to those caused by the use of cocaine and heroin."

"Mentions of marijuana in emergency room visits have risen 176% since 1994, surpassing those of heroin. In 2001, marijuana was a contributing factor in more than 110,000 emergency department visits in the United States."

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html
http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/amer_know_marij/myths.pdf

As to whether or not to legalize it, I'm actually not sure. xD
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 20th, 2007 at 08:20pm
.:
"Marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke"

But most people don't smoke as many joints in a day as they do cigarettes.
So it kinda evens out, wouldn't you think?

Blog
March 20th, 2007 at 08:56pm
druscilla; callmedru:
.:

Yeah, but still - 3 joints is equal to 20 cigarettes.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 20th, 2007 at 09:18pm
.:
druscilla; callmedru:
.:

2 joints is equal to one cigarette
the one thing I noticed, those sources are from propaganda based websites
that don't fly here

Blog
March 20th, 2007 at 09:45pm
spill_no_sick:
.:
druscilla; callmedru:
.:

2 joints is equal to one cigarette
the one thing I noticed, those sources are from propaganda based websites
that don't fly here

Eh, it was for a health project. I had to use reliable resources.
You want something from Urban Dictionary or something?
"there is more of certain carcinogens in marijuana smoke than in tobacco smoke, but there are more of other carcinogens in tobacco smoke than in marijuana smoke. one way or another, puff for puff, marijuana is more harmful than tobacco."
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 20th, 2007 at 11:23pm
The ratio of Cannabis material required to saturate cannabinoid receptors to the amount required for a fatal overdose is 1:40,000. There have been no reported deaths or permanent injuries sustained as a result of a marijuana overdose.

-http://www.medic8.com/medicines/Marijuana.html
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 21st, 2007 at 09:22am
spill_no_sick:
Rolling Eyes
yes, we all look up to the Dead Kennedys
but honestly, he ran with a convicted cop killer as his running mate, he hardly took that election as serious as his run for mayor
Hand Pfft, the Dead Kennedy's rule.

Anyway, back on the subject. Marijuana doesn't cause addiction. Its not more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes, in fact there is no firm scientific proof of its badness. A lot of ex heroin and cocaine junkies said that if marijuana was legalized they wouldn't try worse drugs. Marijuana can be used to reduce pain. Than why marijuana isn't legalized?

In 1997. marijuana was legalized in GB, but that decision didn't bring any success. More than 22 000 people every year go to a drug addiction treatment and half of them aren't even 18. A lot of teenagers use skunk, which is a form of cannabis dangerous as cocaine and heroin. The problem is that a lot of kids have a joint once, maybe even more times and don't try other drugs. But there are kids who will do that. They will become drug addicts which leads into other crimes. The point is, it all depends on the person and that is a big reason why marijuana shouldn't be legalized. Its not like cigarettes. Someone smokes them and someone doesn't, this is about trying and getting addicted to stuff that are way more harmful than marijuana. Not all will do that, but some will.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
March 21st, 2007 at 10:48am
Bloodraine:
rehabreject:
If it were to be made legal - what regulations or laws should there be? Should anyone be allowed to sell it, or only authorised companies? Should the legal age requirement for its use should be higher or lower than alcohol/cigarettes/etc?

They should sell it in Coffee shops, á la Amsterdam Psycho

Yeah! tehe

Also that would make sure you don't get shitty pot Cheese
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
March 21st, 2007 at 04:01pm
if they made it legal then the seedy street dealing would stop, because there would be no more, standing on street corners and handing it all over.

Blog
March 21st, 2007 at 04:14pm
druscilla; callmedru:
The ratio of Cannabis material required to saturate cannabinoid receptors to the amount required for a fatal overdose is 1:40,000. There have been no reported deaths or permanent injuries sustained as a result of a marijuana overdose.

-http://www.medic8.com/medicines/Marijuana.html

From the same site, they said someone died from an overdose. Eh

On another note, I think it's sorta funny how the site says "Your most trusted source for health information online" and then at the bottom they say that their sources are wikipedia. Haha. But that has nothing to do with this topic, so...yeah.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 21st, 2007 at 04:19pm
Lucifers Angel:
if they made it legal then the seedy street dealing would stop, because there would be no more, standing on street corners and handing it all over.
Well actually, the street dealing would continue with other drugs. And since cannabis isn't that expensive and that harmful I don't think the drug dealing business would decrease.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
March 21st, 2007 at 04:21pm
Dr. Cuddy:
Lucifers Angel:
Well actually, the street dealing would continue with other drugs. And since cannabis isn't that expensive and that harmful I don't think the drug dealing business would decrease.

no granted things like cocaine should never be legalised, but if they had drugs like canabis of the streets that has still got to be better for the police and the drug enforcment officers
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
March 21st, 2007 at 05:02pm
HOP TEH HOPPUS.:
Bloodraine:
rehabreject:
If it were to be made legal - what regulations or laws should there be? Should anyone be allowed to sell it, or only authorised companies? Should the legal age requirement for its use should be higher or lower than alcohol/cigarettes/etc?

They should sell it in Coffee shops, á la Amsterdam Psycho

Yeah! tehe

Also that would make sure you don't get shitty pot Cheese

yeah but our law is weird too though (Netherlands)
its legal to sell it
but illegal to transport it
and there's also a ban on smoking pot in the centre of Amsterdam :S

pot's taken a lot less serious here ( at least by teens and people in their twenties) as in the states and all but our governement is trying to find reasons to close as many shops as possible and making every form of drug illegal (except for alcohol and sigarettes). and I've heard that its illegal to open shops so if a place gets closed down there wont be a replacement.
Register