Roleplay Information; click here!

AuthorMessage
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 18th, 2007 at 04:12pm
If you've been active in this forum for awhile you may remember the last time we did something like this. It's a roleplay sort of debate and it can be very fun, and something you'll enjoy. What happens is anyone who's interested posts here and says so and we will add you to our list. Then in about a week or so after everyone who wants to has agreed, we'll pick a topic.

After the topic is chosen, we assign each person to a team, either the team supporting the topic at hand , or the team against it. The team you're placed on may not be how you actually feel about the subject, but that's the point in the roleplay, to get in the shoes of someone else and experience their opinion.

If you're interested in participating, let us know in this thread. Also, if you have any topic suggestions feel free to tell us about them here. Anyone and everyone is welcome to participate, we'd be happy to have you. If you do choose to do this, we ask you to please take it seriously and stick to your side of the topic. Posts such as "I agree", "___ is right", "I disagree" are not acceptable for this. You have to always make a post with a meaning and importance so that the topic can flow and not become redundant.

Our Topic
The role of the Church in the government is a topic that frequently comes up in many political debates. Same sex marriage, abortion,embryonic stem cell research, and many other subjects are affected by peoples religious beliefs. Multiple governments practice seperation of the church and state, making religious morals obsolete. In modern society, is this practical? Is it even possible with such a large percentage of the world practicing a religion of some sort? Can we expect people to ignore thier religious backgrounds when it comes to politics? If we can't, what do we do with religious that contradict each other, and have opposing believes?Should the founding religion triumph over new religions moving into a country?

Support
Morality is not something that can be ignored. Some peoples morality comes from religious beliefs, and they should be allowed to express that as freely as someone whose morality comes from somewhere else.Seeing as how Great Britain has based its government on biblical Christianitian morality, Great Britain pioneered what we now think of as modern freedom and our idea of justice. Having free speech and the ability to think for yourself will not be taken away simply because of religion taking part in the government. Having religious involvment in the government does not dictate people into following a particular religion, and without religion society would not funtion as we know it.

Opposition to Religion
Anti-clericalism is the policy of making any and all religious beliefs a private issue, totally and completely seperate from public life and politics. Communism is often associated with anti-clericalism. The abolishing of religious holidays, and teaching atheist views in public schools would be something done by a totally anti-clericalism government. The abolishment of segregation of the sexes is another topic anti-clericalists feel strongly about, especially towards the Islamic faith. The corruption they see in the Catholic clergy is also an issue they feel strongly about. Anti-clericalism has a violent history, which in the past has lead to destruction of churches and their property and the slaughter of religious figures.

Secularism Is the the belief that society should not live based upon religious morals, or things that will happen in the future, or morals of the past. They believe that we should use facts with evidence to form our opinions and make choices. However, they are not opposed to people having religious beliefs. They believe that people should be able to have a faith, change it, or not practice one at all, and don't think having a belief, or not having one should change any ones position in society. Therefore, you can still practice a religion and be secular because secularisms main focus is politics and you would still be able to attend a church, ect., but it would be very difficult to be anti-clerical and have religious beliefs.

The belief of seperating religion from state is said to promote equality, and eliminate discrimination based on religion. By making religion an irrelvant factor in political matters, it would make everyones opinions equal, instead of being given special privilages simply based on religion. Religion can give society morality, and Democratic governments protect their citizens from abuse, both foreign and domestic, and provide equality. Both are wonderful separately and are absolutely needed essential to human society today. Problems occur when the two are mixed.

Links
Arguement for Seperation of Church and State
Arguements against it
Secularism (anti)
Religion and Politics (wikipedia article, check the sources)
Teams!!!
For Seperation:
WeFoundTheDuck
Nickel Nausea
Wunny Bacon?!?
Angelic Fruitcake
anti-christ of suburbia
Plug In Baby
Thunder 34
Against Seperation
Kurtni
Dr. Cuddy
Lucifers Angel
Lars
Martian Girl
Modest Mouse.
lyrical_mess
Hunneh Bunneh
Before you participate in this debate you must be added to a team
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 18th, 2007 at 06:04pm
I'm down. This sounds like a good time.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
March 19th, 2007 at 05:38am
i remember the last one xD

I was actually thinking a few days ago "what ever happened to that?"

So yeah I'm in for it.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 20th, 2007 at 05:19am
I'm in.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
March 20th, 2007 at 07:46am
yeah count me in!
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 21st, 2007 at 08:02am
Meg Smart people.
Buddy Christ
Falling In Love With The Board
Buddy Christ

Blog
March 21st, 2007 at 08:28pm
I'll do it, even though I'm not the greatest at debates
Martian Girl
Banned
Martian Girl

Mibba
March 21st, 2007 at 08:38pm
...Let this be my first post in SD. Con I'll join.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 25th, 2007 at 04:53pm
alrighty, the topic I chose is a current event, and something important is happening with it Monday, so thats when we'll start deabting it. Fizz
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
March 27th, 2007 at 07:26pm
accept new guys there?
if so,i want to get in!
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 27th, 2007 at 07:31pm
Ok, so, I was talking to some other people and when I told them about the topic I picked they were like " OMFG What's that?" Originally, I had planned on talking about Egypts constitutional reforms, how they will affect their society, and if it helps or hurts them, I thought it was pretty interesting, and assign people to teams who supported them, and people who didn't... but upon further investigation it kind of looks like Im the only person who's interested in that topic lmfao So, what do you guys think? Would you like that to do that, or something else you may be more familiar with?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 27th, 2007 at 07:32pm
Nickel Nausea:
accept new guys there?
if so,i want to get in!

we sure do ~~
Martian Girl
Banned
Martian Girl

Mibba
March 27th, 2007 at 07:41pm
Kurtni:
Ok, so, I was talking to some other people and when I told them about the topic I picked they were like " OMFG What's that?" Originally, I had planned on talking about Egypts constitutional reforms, how they will affect their society, and if it helps or hurts them, I thought it was pretty interesting, and assign people to teams who supported them, and people who didn't... but upon further investigation it kind of looks like Im the only person who's interested in that topic lmfao So, what do you guys think? Would you like that to do that, or something else you may be more familiar with?
LOL I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THERE WAS A PLACE SUCH AS "EGYPT."

I don't know. Think Something people would be more familiar with would be better. I don't have any ideas.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 28th, 2007 at 10:57pm
Kurtni:
Eh

Something more familiar would be nice, but I have no ideas either. Think
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
March 30th, 2007 at 07:29am
add me if its not too much trouble...
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 30th, 2007 at 11:17pm
Velvet Vice:
add me if its not too much trouble...
it isn't, we haven't even decided on our topic yet Cool
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
March 31st, 2007 at 12:29pm
The role of the church and state in the modern world. thats a nice cosy topic that everyone can bring something too I guess.
Buddy Christ
Falling In Love With The Board
Buddy Christ

Blog
March 31st, 2007 at 12:39pm
Yeah, I like that.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 31st, 2007 at 12:49pm
Something I could discuss Con