Talking about religious figures in school.

AuthorMessage
vonny
Admin
vonny

Mibba Blog
July 7th, 2007 at 02:05am
I don't believe religion should be taught in public schools. And, if the schools insist on teaching religion then they should teach the majority of them, not just one or two.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
July 7th, 2007 at 11:53am
vonny:
I don't believe religion should be taught in public schools. And, if the schools insist on teaching religion then they should teach the majority of them, not just one or two.

this wasn't about teaching the actual religion, it was about teaching about Jesus and Muhammad and other religious figures who were alive and made some sort of impact.
Domo
Geek
Domo
July 9th, 2007 at 04:07am
I think it's okay to teach kids about that.
Perfectly fine. I learned about it.
But I guess it has different effects on different people, so maybe they shouldn't.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 9th, 2007 at 08:05pm
Domo:
I think it's okay to teach kids about that.
Perfectly fine. I learned about it.
But I guess it has different effects on different people, so maybe they shouldn't.

Well, yeah, but maths has different effects on different people.

Some people are good at it. Other people want to blow their brains out after a lesson of algebra. Does that mean they shouldn't teach maths?
Teenager
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Teenager

Blog
July 16th, 2007 at 02:37am
I think relgious lessons should not be taught til secondary school and should not be compulsory as i dont agree with filling impressionable childrens heads with your own beliefs they should have the chioce to learn this stuff at an age when they can analyse and question what they are being told and then make there own conclusions from it...
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 16th, 2007 at 04:36am
Teenager:
I think relgious lessons should not be taught til secondary school and should not be compulsory as i dont agree with filling impressionable childrens heads with your own beliefs they should have the chioce to learn this stuff at an age when they can analyse and question what they are being told and then make there own conclusions from it...

They teach greek mythology in school; that was a religion at one point in time. But they aren't forcing their beliefs on kids or anything like that. Its purely educational and benifits their understanding of cultures outside their own. I don't see any problem with discussing other religions from that same perspective.
Teenager
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Teenager

Blog
July 16th, 2007 at 10:49am
Kurtni:
Teenager:

They teach greek mythology in school; that was a religion at one point in time. But they aren't forcing their beliefs on kids or anything like that. Its purely educational and benifits their understanding of cultures outside their own. I don't see any problem with discussing other religions from that same perspective.

i agree totally... what i am saying is that religion should be taught later in life where the person can tell the difference between fact and untested faith... when the person is at the age where they have independant beliefs and can decide what to believe...
if i was to tell a child at four or five that there were fairys which give wishes it would probably be easy to convince them with little evidence...
so i think you sould wait til the child is old enough to look at what they are being told and analyse it to come to there own conclusion.. something which younger children cannot really do...
i hope that makes sense... Dance Dance Dance
missand
Geek
missand

Mibba
July 16th, 2007 at 11:55am
I think its a bad idea to be taught about religeion, and remember this is coming from someone who believes in god.
Theres alot of different religouns out there, and one could offend someone and the person who is offended could take it to heart then theres a riot.

I have nothing against catholics, but I odn't think there should be catholic school's that only catholics go to. I mean talk about sectarianism, my school is just across from the catholic one but we get blamed if they do something wrong. One day a younger kid was beaten by a group of kids who go to that catholic school, and it was the smaller kid who was made out to be the bully.
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
July 16th, 2007 at 01:04pm
missand:
I think its a bad idea to be taught about religeion, and remember this is coming from someone who believes in god.
Theres alot of different religouns out there, and one could offend someone and the person who is offended could take it to heart then theres a riot.
That's ridiculous. If you're teaching school children about different religions, it's letting them know about the world that they're living in. I highly doubt that any child would be offended by knowing what other people do in their life so much to cause a riot.

By teaching about different religions, schools are helping to eliminate ignorance that could lead to racisim just because people don't know. As long as the schools are not telling children what to believe, just what others do believe, and how people think in different ways, then I see no problem in teaching about religious figures.
swoon-
Post Whore
swoon-

Mibba
July 16th, 2007 at 05:11pm
My school's "laïque".
Don't know what that is in english, but it's basically where you're not allowed to show any form of religion
I think it's a good system because then students aren't forced to see a certain way
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
July 16th, 2007 at 05:33pm
Santi! Queercore:
My school's "laïque".
Don't know what that is in english, but it's basically where you're not allowed to show any form of religion
I think it's a good system because then students aren't forced to see a certain way

I can understand why its like that but would you/your classmates be offended if you started talking about Jesus as just part of a history lesson? Nothing about the religion itself but the man behind it?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 16th, 2007 at 07:34pm
Santi! Queercore:
My school's "laïque".
Aren't you forced to see things in a nonreligious way, still?
Maiku's Kind Ghost
King For A Couple Of Days
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
July 17th, 2007 at 12:45am
Santi! Queercore:
My school's "laïque".

how is avoiding it compleatly, as apposed to talking about it in a historical context or atlest touching on the subject, a good system? aren't you just avoiding the subject, and as you must know that never gets anyone anywhere good and that maybe one day they may need to know those things?
You can't be forced in public school to see relgion in a certin way (if you are, they're breaking the whole seperation of chruch and state thing)
And are you also telling me that if I was, say, a Jewish and a male, if I wore a Yamika or If I wanted to wear a Rosery around my neck the admin would make me take it off? That concerns me, because aren't you ( call it a jump) going down a road of Communistic-totalitarism by not allowing a such a basic form of self expression?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 17th, 2007 at 11:02am
missand:
I odn't think there should be catholic school's that only catholics go to.
Buddhists go to catholic schools too.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 17th, 2007 at 11:03am
I think it is ridiculous when schools do not allow the Muslim head dress for Muslim girls and boys. That just really pisses me off.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 17th, 2007 at 11:09am
Anji:
I think it is ridiculous when schools do not allow the Muslim head dress for Muslim girls and boys. That just really pisses me off.
It's just the dress code argument. Nobody forces muslims to attend a non-Islamic school, in the same way nobody really foces a kid with a lip piercing to go to a school that doesn't accept them.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 17th, 2007 at 11:30am
Bloodraine:
Anji:
It's just the dress code argument. Nobody forces muslims to attend a non-Islamic school, in the same way nobody really foces a kid with a lip piercing to go to a school that doesn't accept them.
But it's the principals. A head dress is way mor than a lip piercing and when private schools refuse to bend their uniform rules so that a Muslim can at least get that level of education, just urgh. Horrible.
schooldropout
Banned
schooldropout

Blog
July 24th, 2007 at 12:44pm
I remember when I was in school, It was all about the muslim religion, the sikh religion and religions in Asia.

And when we asked to be taught about our own I was called a racist.
I'mComing.BeScared.
King For A Couple Of Days
I'mComing.BeScared.
July 24th, 2007 at 01:02pm
OMG.... Crazy.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 24th, 2007 at 09:30pm
HysteriaCatherine:
OMG.... Crazy.