Prescription Meds for Kids

AuthorMessage
guitars_are_sexy
Geek
guitars_are_sexy
April 6th, 2007 at 08:18pm
I was reading this article about a 4 year old who died because she had too many prescription drugs in her system
When she was 2 1/2, she was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder, and she was put on medication

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070323/od_death_070323/20070323?hub=Health

do you think that doctors should be allowed to prescribe prescription drugs for kids?

personally, i think that when you're that young you cant tell if some one has ADHD or bipolar. medication can be helpful, but i think that people are starting to see it as an easy way out. for this girl, it ended up killing her, because her parents gave her powerful psychotropic drugs that are dangerous for even adults
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 08:20pm
Dude, without perscription medication some kids would die. Shocked Just because some times things like that happen is no reason to not allow kids to take perscription medicine.
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
April 6th, 2007 at 09:33pm
The doctor should have given her smaller doses seeing as those medication where meant for adults or at the very least, 10 year olds.

But some medications, Children need to live. Like inhalers, they're prescribed. And Ritalin.

I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 6th, 2007 at 11:16pm
Yeah, how the hell can you tell if a kid has a disease like that? It'd be a little hard to tell. Kids go through phases a lot at that age for one. That's like saying a kid has schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. I'm not sure. Colds and flus are okay, but diseases like that? They shouldn't really be able to tell nor be allowed to do that.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 11:28pm
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!:
That's like saying a kid has schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. .

No, it is absolutely, positively nothing like that. Shocked
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 11:36pm
Children with ADHD have an extremely hard time focusing on anything. They can't concentrate and at any given time it feels like there is 4968025497829 things happening around them at once. It makes school work a huge struggle for them, because just sitting down and being still can be torture. ADHD is usually never diagnosed in children under the age of 5. A doctor doesn't diagnose it alone, s/he also confers with school officials and parents. Children can have multiple kinds of ADHD. Typically children are given a trial on medication to see how it affects them. Children who have ADHD do not make enough chemicals in key areas in the brain that are responsible for organizing thought, the same thing that causes problems in older people. So obviously they need help and treatment. Just because things go wrong rarely with medication is no reason to think children don't need it. Having a very organized enviorment can help quite a bit as well. ADHD can affect their ability to learn social skills. Its a serious problem, especially for kids. Usually you learn to cope with it as you age, and the hyperactivity may leave. But when you're a kid you have no idea how to handle any of it.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 07:39am
Well, bearing in mind I'm legally a kid....

In the past four months, I've been dosed up on three types of anti-biotics, and been prescribed creams for skin inflammations, plus some extra-strong painkillers. I could have lived without them, but they've made life a bit less painful. Since the age of five, I've also been repeatedly prescribed medial supplies which make my life liveable. In fact, I am rather prone to illness. o_o without meds, I'd be dead, dude.

So in repsonse to your question, "do you think that doctors should be allowed to prescribe prescription drugs for kids?"

Well, yah. Plus, 'kid' here is anything up to 16, 18 if you're in education. I'm not going to die by mis-taking medication, I'm too smart to overdose on skin cream.

And I don't want to sound insensetive, but one doctor's mistake doesn't justify stopping all child prescriptions. Such an idea is ludicrous. Yeah, doctors do fuck up, but deciding that they can't prescribe medicines to kids anymore?. Thats going to kill more children alone that one bad doctor.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 7th, 2007 at 11:20am
Kurtni:
That's like saying a kid has schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. .

In my opinion, it seems a bit like that.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:27am
Kurtni:

Any kid who ever had an imaginary friend knows they did it for fun, and they enjoyed having one. Plus, it was their own choice.

Any person who ever had schizophrenia knows that it is a horrible thing, and they hated having it. Plus, it was totally not their one choice to suffer from it.

o_o I dom't see how the two things are comparable
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:35am
Yeah, how the hell can you tell if a kid has a disease like that? It'd be a little hard to tell. Kids go through phases a lot at that age for one. That's like saying a kid has schizophrenia because he has an imaginary friend. I'm not sure. Colds and flus are okay, but diseases like that? They shouldn't really be able to tell nor be allowed to do that.
You mean you cannot diagnose a child for a mental disease?! I don't think that the textbook diagnosis for schitzophrenia is 'having an imaginary friend'. There are brain studies and psychotic analyses to take into account. It's a doctors fault if they are not treating the child properly for the proper symptoms with the proper medication and it's the guardian's fault if the child over doses. Simple as that.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:42am
Kurtni:

Before you make assumptions, perhaps you should do some reseach so you actually know what you're talking about. Mr. Green
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 7th, 2007 at 01:01pm
Kurtni:
Children with ADHD have an extremely hard time focusing on anything. They can't concentrate and at any given time it feels like there is 4968025497829 things happening around them at once. It makes school work a huge struggle for them, because just sitting down and being still can be torture. ADHD is usually never diagnosed in children under the age of 5. A doctor doesn't diagnose it alone, s/he also confers with school officials and parents. Children can have multiple kinds of ADHD. Typically children are given a trial on medication to see how it affects them. Children who have ADHD do not make enough chemicals in key areas in the brain that are responsible for organizing thought, the same thing that causes problems in older people. So obviously they need help and treatment. Just because things go wrong rarely with medication is no reason to think children don't need it. Having a very organized enviorment can help quite a bit as well. ADHD can affect their ability to learn social skills. Its a serious problem, especially for kids. Usually you learn to cope with it as you age, and the hyperactivity may leave. But when you're a kid you have no idea how to handle any of it.

That's what I mean, like 5 or under it seems as if it'd be hard to tell. The kid could just have a lot of energy or like to play.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
April 8th, 2007 at 11:01am
well i have ADHD and i take meds for it and they have shitty side effects like loss of apitite (everyone thinks im anorexic beacuase it made me lose almost 15 lbs Cheese) and sleeping problims.

but if i didnt take it i whould not be able to pay attention at school and fail all my classes and then i would have to be a pool cleaner or worse, the person who dress up as mickey mouse in disney world omgno
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
April 8th, 2007 at 12:00pm
guitars_are_sexy:
I was reading this article about a 4 year old who died because she had too many prescription drugs in her system
When she was 2 1/2, she was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder, and she was put on medication

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070323/od_death_070323/20070323?hub=Health

do you think that doctors should be allowed to prescribe prescription drugs for kids?

personally, i think that when you're that young you cant tell if some one has ADHD or bipolar. medication can be helpful, but i think that people are starting to see it as an easy way out. for this girl, it ended up killing her, because her parents gave her powerful psychotropic drugs that are dangerous for even adults

i ahve one son who has ADHD, TOURRETS, and SEVERE OCD and i ahve one other son who is just 7 and has severe ADHD and he has been on meds since he was 4, and without that medication he will suffer with his school work and interacting with his peers, and Dr'd know that you ahve ADHD froma very young age, the dr's knew when my son was 2 that he had ADHD and they asked me then to consider letting take the medications he so needed to take to cope with life in general, it is also fairly rare for a child so young to be diagnosed with ADHD and BI POLAR! also it should be left to the mums and dads and dr's of these kids and not society to decide if they should have medication.

I knwo there has been a lot of people trying to get drugs like RITALIN banned but honestly it should be down to the profesionals what these children need not strangers and defianlty not society.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 8th, 2007 at 07:17pm
Bloodraine:
Kurtni:

Any kid who ever had an imaginary friend knows they did it for fun, and they enjoyed having one. Plus, it was their own choice.

Any person who ever had schizophrenia knows that it is a horrible thing, and they hated having it. Plus, it was totally not their one choice to suffer from it.

o_o I dom't see how the two things are comparable

It was a freaking example. Good lord. -_-
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 8th, 2007 at 07:19pm
Lucifers Angel:
guitars_are_sexy:

i ahve one son who has ADHD, TOURRETS, and SEVERE OCD and i ahve one other son who is just 7 and has severe ADHD and he has been on meds since he was 4, and without that medication he will suffer with his school work and interacting with his peers, and Dr'd know that you ahve ADHD froma very young age, the dr's knew when my son was 2 that he had ADHD and they asked me then to consider letting take the medications he so needed to take to cope with life in general, it is also fairly rare for a child so young to be diagnosed with ADHD and BI POLAR! also it should be left to the mums and dads and dr's of these kids and not society to decide if they should have medication.

I knwo there has been a lot of people trying to get drugs like RITALIN banned but honestly it should be down to the profesionals what these children need not strangers and defianlty not society.

Ritalin has real bad side affects and has been proven to not be the best prescription.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 8th, 2007 at 07:33pm
Anji:
You mean you cannot diagnose a child for a mental disease?! I don't think that the textbook diagnosis for schitzophrenia is 'having an imaginary friend'. There are brain studies and psychotic analyses to take into account. It's a doctors fault if they are not treating the child properly for the proper symptoms with the proper medication and it's the guardian's fault if the child over doses. Simple as that.

I know they don't. That's the whole point. It's called giving you a visualization.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 8th, 2007 at 09:01pm

Ritalin has real bad side affects and has been proven to not be the best prescription.

FOR SOME PEOPLE
Medication has different affects on different people, what doesn't work for you might be wonderful for someone else. Just like the topic post in this thread; thats one case where medication didn't agree with someone, it doesn't mean medication as a whole is bad.
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!
Jackass
I Am So Beautiful! FUCK!

Mibba
April 8th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Kurtni:

FOR SOME PEOPLE
Medication has different affects on different people, what doesn't work for you might be wonderful for someone else. Just like the topic post in this thread; thats one case where medication didn't agree with someone, it doesn't mean medication as a whole is bad.

I didn't say every single person. I said it does have bad side affects but I didn't mention for everyone. I didn't even mention people.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 8th, 2007 at 10:50pm
Kurtni:

FOR SOME PEOPLE

I didn't say every single person. I said it does have bad side affects but I didn't mention for everyone. I didn't even mention people.

Exactly, you didn't say who it applied to so I assumed you meant people as a whole.
Register