Prescription Meds for Kids

AuthorMessage
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 02:12pm
druscilla; in rags:
Basically I'm trying to say that if a doctor wants to put your child on drugs you should always seek a second opinion.

I'm on six different types of medication (no, really lmfao) right now, and I don't have a second opinion on any of those...

Clearly, all of my experiences in medication are for physical maladies, and I don't have mental problems. Maybe drugs for the body are safer than drugs for the brain, I dunno. But, you know, Aqueous Cream, I'm on that right now, and I don't think you even need a doctor's prescription to buy it from a phramacy. I doubt its really dangerous at all.

Or maybe its just the fact that since I am a child, the NHS is paying for all my medication, so a doctor wouldn't give me anything unless I did need it, because it isn't money that is going into his back pocket.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 05:28pm
Bloodraine:
I don't have mental problems.

Liar. Coolio
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 03:46am
Bloodraine:
druscilla; in rags:
Basically I'm trying to say that if a doctor wants to put your child on drugs you should always seek a second opinion.

I'm on six different types of medication (no, really lmfao) right now, and I don't have a second opinion on any of those...

Clearly, all of my experiences in medication are for physical maladies, and I don't have mental problems. Maybe drugs for the body are safer than drugs for the brain, I dunno. But, you know, Aqueous Cream, I'm on that right now, and I don't think you even need a doctor's prescription to buy it from a phramacy. I doubt its really dangerous at all.

Or maybe its just the fact that since I am a child, the NHS is paying for all my medication, so a doctor wouldn't give me anything unless I did need it, because it isn't money that is going into his back pocket.
I think if a doctor were to give you funny medicine, chld or not, you should always consult a second opinion.

When I went to Malaysia I got an allergic reaction (probably to this plant in the forest) and I got all these weird red spots on my skin and my hands, wrists, fingers, toes, and feet started swelling. The doctor prescribed me pills for the swelling, anti-bacterial cream, and some steriods? Now I've heard of these steroids before and from what I heard, they nasty stuff. I went to another walk in clinic and the docotr told me that if I had taken those, they'd have probably done more harm than good since they can induce hair loss, serious addiction, drowsiness, hallucinations, etc.

Being a walk in clinic the doctor may have been just getting me to pay up and probably even over charged me for some things, but still, I had a bad feeling about the steroids and I still don't think a doctor would prescribe them unless they really thought it'd do good.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 03:48am
I just thought I'd throw in my two cents here: The world is becoming waaaay too medicated. If they give meds to kids, thats one thing. But now they've approved Prozac for dogs.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
April 29th, 2007 at 06:22am
lyrical_mess:
I just thought I'd throw in my two cents here: The world is becoming waaaay too medicated. If they give meds to kids, thats one thing. But now they've approved Prozac for dogs.

seruously? can you post more information about it so i can read about it please?
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 07:44am
Lucifers Angel:
lyrical_mess:

seruously? can you post more information about it so i can read about it please?

Prozac approved for misbehaving mutts
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 10:16am
Anji:
Bloodraine:
druscilla; in rags:

I think if a doctor were to give you funny medicine, chld or not, you should always consult a second opinion.

When I went to Malaysia I got an allergic reaction (probably to this plant in the forest) and I got all these weird red spots on my skin and my hands, wrists, fingers, toes, and feet started swelling. The doctor prescribed me pills for the swelling, anti-bacterial cream, and some steriods? Now I've heard of these steroids before and from what I heard, they nasty stuff. I went to another walk in clinic and the docotr told me that if I had taken those, they'd have probably done more harm than good since they can induce hair loss, serious addiction, drowsiness, hallucinations, etc.

Being a walk in clinic the doctor may have been just getting me to pay up and probably even over charged me for some things, but still, I had a bad feeling about the steroids and I still don't think a doctor would prescribe them unless they really thought it'd do good.

Wow, seriously?
I've been on steroids before (some type of Prednisone, I think) and I suffeerd from hair loss and drowsiness etc. Also drastic weight gain. I dunno, what you said made me remember. They sound vaguely familiar. Actually, when I was a kid, I used to love taking the steriods because they were pink tablets, and being about 4 at the time I thought it was so cool. lmfao

And actually, two of the medications I'm taking right now are steroid creams, but I still don't go in for the whole 'second opinion' thing. I think the health system is waaay different here, its not as flexible in that you can't just walk into another clinic and ask a doctor for his opinion. And in america, you're paying to see the doctors, so they won't say "no, you don't have a referal, we won't see you" like they would here. 'Cause that's basially it, the system is very strict about who you can see and what appointments you can get and how long you have to be on a waiting list before you're seen. Occupational hazard of having 'free' healthcare, I guess.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 11:36am
Bloodraine:
Anji:
Bloodraine:
druscilla; in rags:

Wow, seriously?
I've been on steroids before (some type of Prednisone, I think) and I suffeerd from hair loss and drowsiness etc. Also drastic weight gain. I dunno, what you said made me remember. They sound vaguely familiar. Actually, when I was a kid, I used to love taking the steriods because they were pink tablets, and being about 4 at the time I thought it was so cool. lmfao

And actually, two of the medications I'm taking right now are steroid creams, but I still don't go in for the whole 'second opinion' thing. I think the health system is waaay different here, its not as flexible in that you can't just walk into another clinic and ask a doctor for his opinion. And in america, you're paying to see the doctors, so they won't say "no, you don't have a referal, we won't see you" like they would here. 'Cause that's basially it, the system is very strict about who you can see and what appointments you can get and how long you have to be on a waiting list before you're seen. Occupational hazard of having 'free' healthcare, I guess.
lmfao

This was at like midnight. There was no one else there so the doctor let me talk with him.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 11:38am
I don't normally travel to Malaysia for medication, I was just visiting some friends at the time, but these were like 24/7 walk in clinic places.

I think Thailand has much more better health clinics.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 07:55pm
Just Lies.:

So Hand @ peole who think doctors diagnose people with ADD/ADHD left right and centre

lmfao greatest thing said in this thread. The hand really accents your point.
Brett Anderson
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Brett Anderson
August 30th, 2009 at 04:34am
i know young people get depressed too, but putting them on meds? im 14, and im not going on any meds at all, even if i had bipolar or adhd. my parents hate the ideas of meds too.

but, even putting some kid on anti-depressants is not going to keep them from being depressed. a lot of the countries tragedies came from kids that were on meds (like columbine, and the one guy who was going to send a bomb to bjork, and committed suicide while cameras were rolling). i dont like meds for anyone!

and putting your little daughter on these pills that basically make you a walking zombie is just abuse. its like giving her something to kill herself with, which is ultimately what happened, rest her soul. its like giving a little kid a loaded gun to play with.

so, there Very Happy thats my argument
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
September 1st, 2009 at 10:12am
What about people that have serious mental or physical illnesses that are so severe, it prevents them from functioning or living a ~normal~ life?
Olivia Wilde.
Addict
Olivia Wilde.

Blog
September 1st, 2009 at 10:40am
I'm clinically depressed and on medication and I don't feel like terrorizing a school or anything. o_O

Sometimes you need meds and there is nothing else you can do.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
September 2nd, 2009 at 01:10pm
Don't some kids need medication to survive though 0.0.
Register